• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Salazar

Loudninja said:
I don't know what to get, this or DMC4... *sigh*

I'm thinking much the same thing. I'm in Australia, and DMC4 comes out a week before Burnout and Dark Messiah. I'm probably going to be doing well just to limit myself to two out of the three.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
duketogo88 said:
I would sacrifice a goat or two for custom soundtracks in this game.

Oh man it's so good you have no idea. I finally got around to figuring out to put stuff on there and I got my three favourite driving CDs(Transatlanticism, Highly Refined Pirates, and Lost Horizon mix) and damn hearing Absinthe Party while crashing is the most awesome thing ever.

I'm making my score currently a 9.5. It's an absolutely amazing game and it cements the 360 as the best platform of all time for racing games, already.

Everdred

QVT said:
I'm making my score currently a 9.5. It's an absolutely amazing game and it cements the 360 as the best platform of all time for racing games, already.
QFT, I'm not even the biggest racing fan and I have more racers than anything else. Forza 2, PGR 3 4, Dirt, Burnout P R, Sega Rally.

QVT

Also the driving stuff in crackdown which is a hell of a lot of fun. Hopefully we eventually get a cart racer to satisfy that contingent.

QVT

AgentOtaku said:
yeah, streaming my "Race Mix" from laptop/Zune software to 360 is....well....just wonderful :D

You can stream as a custom soundtrack? Could you explain how to do that please? I had a hells time trying to get anything to work streaming.

Do I actually have to install Zune(software)?

QVT

strange_booj said:
Use windows media player, it should be under Options or tools > Plug-ins > Windows Media Share or something like that.

:lol

Thanks mate for the instructions, was more trouble tracking down windows media player than it was getting to it.

Rowsdower

God i love this game so much it's getting scary. Just acquired my A-Class liscense and i feel like i barely scratched the surface of this game. Burning Route is the only event that needs a retry since it's car-specific, but i'm havin a blast through and through.

Bebpo

Banned
I played way too much of this over the weekend. When I close my eyes I just see ramps leading to burnout billboards >_<

Most fun I've had driving around taking jumps since Crackdown. But need to stop playing soon or this will become an addiction. I feel pretty satisfied with the game. The racing was much better than Revenge. Surprisingly I learned far more sections of the city in Paradise than I did tracks in Revenge...guess the sandbox method worked. Showtime was no crash mode, so hopefully it'll be back in Paradise 2, but it was still fun. Presentation and the way you can do SO MUCH STUFF with the d-pad (flip showtime [offline/online], road time [offline/online] scores, all the online stuff) was amazing.

The online is the thing to beat for all other games. Being able to go to your city map at any time and look at a street and see who holds the #1 leadboard out of all the people on your friends list is awesome. Seeing real-time in-game messages that someone beat your score on a street even WHEN THEY AREN'T IN YOUR GAME is from the future stuff. Seriously this feels a generation beyond online gaming anywhere else. And on the PS3, with shitty online tools, no less!

Great game. Definitely 9+ish/10.

Bebpo

Banned
BradVanDam said:
this game is a dissapointment to me once you do A class thats it , thats all :(

online? discovery?

It seems like by the time you finish class A and have found everything in the world you should have gotten $60 of fun out of it already.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Picked it up this saturday, figured what the hell, the demo was good, but not convincing. And if I didn't like it, I could always return it in exchange for CoD4 or whatever.
Well, at 4 o'clock I popped in the disc, smiled a smile when Guns n Roses started pouring out of my speakers, took a picture for my license (simple, yet lovable feature) and started burning. At 8 I decided it was really time for dinner... after just one more race. 12 races later, I decided that I REALLY needed dinner. Plus, the battery in my Dual Shock went dead, so that helped.

This game is amazing. I'm truely learning the streets, there's a mental map forming in my brain as we speak. I can drive from Coastguard HQ to the windmills without looking at the map, first time any free-roamer pulled this of for me. The soundtrack is alright, nothing amazing (although FNM's Epic cannot be wrong, but that's profesionally countered by Avril Lavigne, so that balances out), and online.... ooo online. The online/offline integration is astonishing.

Criterion, you bastards! You did it again.

Bebpo said:
online? discovery?

It seems like by the time you finish class A and have found everything in the world you should have gotten $60 of fun out of it already.

i guess you are right in the sense but i was hoping for medals like in revenge

Wizpig

Let's see.

I loved Burnout 2
I loved A LOT Burnout 3
I HATED Burnout 4 [that's Revenge for you]
I kinda liked Burnout Legends

Would you recommend this to me? On the 360.
I absolutely don't know what to do, i even played the demo and it was... fun, i guess.
Simply, i can't judge the game from that because there were not enough offline things to do, it was mainly online.

So GAF, help me.

painey

can anyone explain just what the hell you are supposed to do in showtime to set times? I crash and I can get the scores but I cant set a time, or even know where im supposed to go to set it

Rowsdower

Wizpig said:
Let's see.

I loved Burnout 2
I loved A LOT Burnout 3
I HATED Burnout 4 [that's Revenge for you]
I kinda liked Burnout Legends

Would you recommend this to me? On the 360.
I absolutely don't know what to do, i even played the demo and it was... fun, i guess.
Simply, i can't judge the game from that because there were not enough offline things to do, it was mainly online.

So GAF, help me.

I feel exactly the same, except i liked Legends quite a lot since it was exactly like BO3:Takedown, only i could play it on the toilet. Revenge did nothing for me and BO3 is still in my top 5 games of the last generation.
Burnout Paradise is better than all of the above. Go get it.

painey said:
can anyone explain just what the hell you are supposed to do in showtime to set times? I crash and I can get the scores but I cant set a time, or even know where im supposed to go to set it

Heh, you don't set times in Showtime. You set times by racing the street down.

Wizpig

Thanks Rowsdower.
The only letdown is that this game is 70€ [yes, i sad 70] at my usual shop. Goddamn high 360 games prices :(

Oh well, i'm going to buy it today i think.
Looking forward to play online with some of you - if you are not all on the Ps3 version.

QVT said:
You can stream as a custom soundtrack? Could you explain how to do that please? I had a hells time trying to get anything to work streaming.

Do I actually have to install Zune(software)?
you can use WMP11 or Zune software

just go to the "sharing" sections

Wizpig said:
By the way, why is everyone searching for a way to play Custom Playlists?
Is the in-game music that bad?

Burnout is the sort of game where you want whatever music gets your adrelinine going afterall you wouldn't put Avril Lavigne on in your own car would you....?

11v2nwm.jpg

OatmealMu

Finally got my Burnout license. I didn't realize there was
another license after this, ugh.

Ended up with a nice little traffic jam during the credits. It must be caused by the way the game spawns cars.

2ag3yc6.jpg

Rowsdower

Every time i hear that thing, i play a little game where i'm watching myself how long i can bear this atrocious trainwreck of a song. By the second "you" i pressed RB so hard i still feel it to this day.

Love this game...Never really got into the previous burnouts...I never like the whole medal system...this game is incredible and a must buy imo.

Doc Evils

MaizeRage25 said:
HEY HEY YOU YOU
I DON'T LIKE YOUR GIRLFRIEND

Please, oh god, make...it...stop

Although, this is probably the biggest flaw in the game for me. Such a fun game.

I bet everyone in this thread secretly sings along to it.

*Rocks out to Avril*

There are worse songs on the playlist. There seems to be a big group of shitty emo songs towards the end that make me want to tear my hair out.

Nothing in the game offends me more than the butchered second verse of Epic by FNM anyway.

DuckRacer

Doc Evils said:
I bet everyone in this thread secretly sings along to it.
Sorry, you're the only one singing. We still love you for who you are, though!

I will admit it's catchy. And there are worse songs in the BP soundtrack. After you listen to it a few times you think it's an OK song.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Re: custom soundtracks (360)

Is there an in-game option for them to play through the EA Trax system (i.e. it turns off when your guide is talking, when you crash) or just through the usual 360 dashboard?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
OatmealMu said:
Finally got my Burnout license. I didn't realize there was
another license after this, ugh.

Ended up with a nice little traffic jam during the credits. It must be caused by the way the game spawns cars.

2ag3yc6.jpg

Do you have control over your car during that sequence?

The only events I have left for my Elite license are the Marked Man, Stunt and Burning Route Events. I should have saved the races and road rage events for the end because they're my favorite but I couldn't resist. I'm getting close to the point where a restart option is desperately needed. Finishing all the Burning Routes is going to be frustrating, for sure.

Rowsdower

Felix Lighter said:
The only events I have left for my Elite license are the Marked Man, Stunt and Burning Route Events. I should have saved the races and road rage events for the end because they're my favorite but I couldn't resist. I'm getting close to the point where a restart option is desperately needed. Finishing all the Burning Routes is going to be frustrating, for sure.

How high are the required Stunt Run Scores in this stage of the game? Something like ~2mill.?

Rowsdower said:
How high are the required Stunt Run Scores in this stage of the game? Something like ~2mill.?

I hope not. I was able to break 1 million doing a boosting drift in a speed car for about 10 minutes.

Rowsdower

MaizeRage25 said:
I hope not. I was able to break 1 million doing a boosting drift in a speed car for about 10 minutes.

Hell, my little brother did 4.8 million in the demo. I normally rank ~1.5 million, my record was something around 3, so i hope it's getting hard later in the game.

Rowsdower said:

I haven't tried a Stunt run since I received my Burnout License but I sure hope not. I believe the required score is based off of how many stunt events you've won and not the license you have. I only tried 10 or so stunt events to this point so I think my last score limit was something like 220,000. I've basically been upgrading my licenses with race events for the most part. I've won 104 races.

OatmealMu

TTP said:
Do you have control over your car during that sequence?

You can pan the camera around but that's it. A large portion of the cars you see disappeared when I did a 360 around my car. As soon as the camera settled they started spawning again.

Oh, and just for the hell of it, here are a few snapshots of actual people playing the game (and not a wall).

nlpjqa.jpg

First guy I saw smiling. Try to do more of this, people.

2mnoos4.jpg

Denogginizer in awe of my skillz. Well, either that or he's mad because I screwed up another Challenge.

2hej97q.gif

Does not like my police cruiser.

t0t8r8.jpg

The best for last. Peter Moore and his undead sidekick.

Top Bottom