• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Aladuf

Banned
devilchicken said:
I hear birdman is like, a DEMIGOD when it comes to PP. Im sure he will dispense his serial-rapist van parking wisdom any second now...

Hey i just came home from a 12 hr shift at work. I wasn't about to let *that* one go. :lol

:lol :lol :lol birdman's has quite the "skill" when it comes to power parking. He has the amazing ability to allow the rest of the players to take a nice break while he takes 30+ minutes to complete a 75% PP.

* I have noticed that PP is the one thing that I actually do very well in this game, out of all of the ones I've done, I have never gotten below a 90% rating, and on my first one I got 100%

kitch9

Banned
Can anybody tell me why I've got cars that I can only select in on-line races and no-where else.

They are nice things, but they are beat up and I can't repair them as after the on-line race is finished it puts me back in my off-line car?

Its pissing me off....

Aladuf

Banned
kitch9 said:
Can anybody tell me why I've got cars that I can only select in on-line races and no-where else.

They are nice things, but they are beat up and I can't repair them as after the on-line race is finished it puts me back in my off-line car?

Its pissing me off....

It's because when you're in the race the host most likely allows you to pick a higher ranked car than you have unlocked, but once the event is done you go back to your normal car.

kitch9

Banned
Aladuf23 said:
It's because when you're in the race the host most likely allows you to pick a higher ranked car than you have unlocked, but once the event is done you go back to your normal car.

Nah, I don't think its that as it says when the race is started that I've won it somehow (Road rules I think.) and I should get it fixed.

Only thing is, its that its not available for selection anywhere else other than the race....

Aladuf

Banned
kitch9 said:
Nah, I don't think its that as it says when the race is started that I've won it somehow (Road rules I think.) and I should get it fixed.

Only thing is, its that its not available for selection anywhere else other than the race....

hmm... that's weird! I don't know what the problem is then.

birdman

devilchicken said:
I hear birdman is like, a DEMIGOD when it comes to PP. Im sure he will dispense his serial-rapist van parking wisdom any second now...

It takes years of training and concentration atop Mt. Fuji to pull off a van power park young grasshopper.

*returns to a meditative state*

Wizpig

I hereby declare that the best thing in this game is NOT PLAYING.
Just leave the game for some seconds [and i'm not talking about the car shutting off].

Best.
Driving game.
Easter egg.
Ever.

nofi

Wizpig said:
Just leave the game for some seconds [and i'm not talking about the car shutting off].

Best.
Driving game.
Easter egg.
Ever.

I'm at work. Do tell.

Wizpig said:

Best.
Driving game.
Easter egg.
Ever.

The flying around the city in black and white thingy?

h3ro

Wizpig said:

Best.
Driving game.
Easter egg.
Ever.

Do you mean the classical music that plays while the camera pans over Paradise City? Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool too...

For those working on their Elites, what cars are you guys using?

This Steel Wheels car is awesome!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
damn it. i'm still so awful at barrel rolls. i pull one off every now and then, but only when i'm not in a stunt run--in other words, when it doesn't mean anything.

h3ro said:
Do you mean the classical music that plays while the camera pans over Paradise City? Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool too...

I used the Wal-Mart car for the races and I used the jacked-up pickup truck for the Road Rage events. I'm now using the variant of the Montgomery Hawker that you get for winning it's burning route for the stunt events.

Wizpig

I was thinking about one thing they cut off from the demo [it's nothing really, but it came to mind].
In the options there was an EA Account thing where you put your data to access something exclusive. Now, in the final game, all there is about EA Accounts is that classic
"can we share your data with 3rd party guys? [] YES [x] NO".
Anyone knows why?

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Wizpig said:
Yes, i mean the classical music while the b/w camera goes around Paradise City.
Man, that's SO awesome.

They actually play a shitty Charles Gounod track but if you like it you should look at his Operas as he was the greatest Opera writer of all time, narrowly edging Verdi but nobody has ever heard of him because his music is too good for modern people to like.

QVT said:
They actually play a shitty Charles Gounod track but if you like it you should look at his Operas as he was the greatest Opera writer of all time, narrowly edging Verdi but nobody has ever heard of him because his music is too good for modern people to like.
you're snobby about classical music too? :lol (don't take that the wrong way, it's just based on seeing you in the Rock Band thread.)

QVT

bune duggy said:
you're snobby about classical music too? :lol (don't take that the wrong way, it's just based on seeing you in the Rock Band thread.)

I'm not snobby about it, it's just a real pity that nobody has heard of him. He used to be hugely hugely popular for almost a hundred years before falling off with the rise of modernist Opera.

I wasn't being that bad in the Rock Band thread last night, just.. Fuel :lol :lol

X26

Banned
So what's the key to flat spins? Only good ones I've ever done were flukes

And damn, was ahead in 5 events in an 8 player freeburn yesterday, and was kicked before getting a 6th, asshole hosts :(

QVT

Spin before you go off the ramp. That's why you were fluking it, because you were spinning too soon and therefore doing it right :lol As your going up begins, right as you're at about the halfway point of the ramp start to e-brake like a person who's just run over the entire state of texas and needs to back up and make sure it's down.

maybe I'm doing it wrong then because that's what happens every time I hit the e-brake. I hate using it because it always makes me do 180+ turns but the actual brake isn't responsive enough for fast turns like in a parking garage. bah. It just seems too sensitive to me.

DeadGzuz

Banned
e-brake for flatspins? Ah, I was using the normal brake and doing like a half spin. I'm about half-way to my A class license, but I still suck. I did a bunch of burn routes to get cars last night, they were either really easy or hard, sometimes I'd get there with 1 sec left and others I had 50 secs, did they try to balance these routes by the car you are driving?

What is the key to a stunt run if you can't find a ramp, just keep driving until you find some? I tried using the same ramp over and over and it started giving me zero points :(

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'd also like some tips on stunt runs. the point goals have been upped to ~85,000 on average, and i'm having trouble getting anywhere close.

Aladuf

Banned
beelzebozo said:
i'd also like some tips on stunt runs. the point goals have been upped to ~85,000 on average, and i'm having trouble getting anywhere close.

I need some tips too, I suck ass at stunt runs... I got lucky last night when I did one though because I started one that is near a very high ramp above the train tracks and I nailed a double barrel roll and that gave me a x6 multiplier! I was going nuts!

daw840

beelzebozo said:

Learn how to barrel roll, then get onto the train tracks where there are ramps in sequence. Once you get past the A class license the stunt runs increase dramatically. I haven't made it there yet, but I think damitttmatt said they are somewhere around 500,000 (hope I get better at stunt runs by then! :lol :lol )

AltogetherAndrews said:
I've just plain given up on stunt runs. I wish there were more Road Rage events. :(

They are cake. Get a good stunt car and just get to the east side of the South Bay Expressway bridge and gun it, hitting the jumps (don't forget to flatspin!) and billboards. Come back the other way (you'll only get credit for one more jump) and then veer right into the harbor and hit the billboards and super jumps. You'll be close to 500k without breaking a sweat (be sure to keep your car under control, though).

And daw, yes, you are right, the last level of stunt runs seem to top off at 500k :)

All....I'm going to be online tonight and I'd love to work on the 4- to 7-player challenges. If anyone is interested, please reach out to me via XBL (same as my user name).

Oh, and screw Turok being stickied over this.

question about billboards: if you hit them more than 2x they fall apart. Do they return after awhile, or are they gone forever? Because "gone forever" sucks when looking at some of these online challenges that require billboards.

bune duggy said:
question about billboards: if you hit them more than 2x they fall apart. Do they return after awhile, or are they gone forever? Because "gone forever" sucks when looking at some of these online challenges that require billboards.

They come back. You just have to drive some distance away and come back and they should reappear.

daw840

dammitmattt said:
They are cake. Get a good stunt car and just get to the east side of the South Bay Expressway bridge and gun it, hitting the jumps (don't forget to flatspin!) and billboards. Come back the other way (you'll only get credit for one more jump) and then veer right into the harbor and hit the billboards and super jumps. You'll be close to 500k without breaking a sweat (be sure to keep your car under control, though).

And daw, yes, you are right, the last level of stunt runs seem to top off at 500k :)

All....I'm going to be online tonight and I'd love to work on the 4- to 7-player challenges. If anyone is interested, please reach out to me via XBL (same as my user name).

I am probably going out tonight unless my GF doesn't feel like it. If not I would be down to get some challenges done.

Aladuf

Banned
cbodom said:
is there a button combo to change the song if i dont like it?
good game too...

you can skip the songs with the R1 button on the PS3 or the RB on the 360 (I guess, I don't have the 360 version)

Kolgar

Flippin' awesome game!

n00b question: What all can you do online with other players? I know you can freeburn and do multi-player challenges, but can you also enter race events with your buddy against AI players?

BeeDog

Kolgar said:
Flippin' awesome game!

n00b question: What all can you do online with other players? I know you can freeburn and do multi-player challenges, but can you also enter race events with your buddy against AI players?

Not against AI players, no. You can create your own race routes (with checkpoints too if need be) for up to 8 players.

Elbrain said:
Hopefully I will play the majority of the game today since I don't work. I will start around 1.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I have about 45 hours and only 77% complete, so no, you won't be completing the majority of the game. Enjoy trying, though!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
dammitmattt said:

thanks for this advice. i'm going to pull up my map and actually try all of it to attempt to nail some of the smaller stunt challenges i've got open right now (smaller than 500k, anyway!).

and yeah, a.a., the road rage challenges are the shiznite. here's hoping they add some dlc or else expand that portion of the game in b.p.2.

dammitmatt said:

seriously. what the fuck is with this?

beelzebozo said:
thanks for this advice. i'm going to pull up my map and actually try all of it to attempt to nail some of the smaller stunt challenges i've got open right now (smaller than 500k, anyway!).

and yeah, a.a., the road rage challenges are the shiznite. here's hoping they add some dlc or else expand that portion of the game in b.p.2.

In addition to extra areas, I'd like to see single-player challenges and more to do in the bonus areas (race track, quarry, airport, etc.).

BPK

I love this game but racing online is a big pain. One wrong turn and you're screwed for the rest of the race. I'm almost never competitive as these dudes who obviously know the city like the back of their hand just fly to the finish line. Any tips? I'm not the type of gamer who can put in hours in learning the layout of the city, but I wouldn't mind not getting blown out online either.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
heh that is what misspelling and not proofreading do to you. What I meant to say is that I will be playing for the majority of the day today. He sorry about that.

BPK said:
I love this game but racing online is a big pain. One wrong turn and you're screwed for the rest of the race. I'm almost never competitive as these dudes who obviously know the city like the back of their hand just fly to the finish line. Any tips? I'm not the type of gamer who can put in hours in learning the layout of the city, but I wouldn't mind not getting blown out online either.
In rated games yeah you're going to get smoked by players who have learned the city. The solution? LEARN THE CITY.

However, in regular just-for-fun races against the GAF clowns I've been playing (hi, QVT!) online is actually a much more level playing field for races than offline because everyone has some chance of getting lost, while computer opponents offline never get lost, even if they don't always take the very fastest route.

h3ro said:

I just got done using the WalMart car to finish all the Race events. I only have 50 events left to go now, and not looking forward to the stunt runs.

For the Steel Wheels car, is there a common code for that?

EDIT: Nevermind, checked the OP.

Top Bottom