• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Gary Whitta said:
In rated games yeah you're going to get smoked by players who have learned the city. The solution? LEARN THE CITY.

However, in regular just-for-fun races against the GAF clowns I've been playing (hi, QVT!) online is actually a much more level playing field for races than offline because everyone has some chance of getting lost, while computer opponents offline never get lost, even if they don't always take the very fastest route.

dick

you know you're the only person i've ever beaten, right? played 25 lost 24 won 1 against whittatonofloser

QVT

Gary Whitta said:
LOL I knew you'd take the bait, I just didn't know you'd be that quick about it :lol

I happened to be reading the thread at the time :lol

I don't appreciate being bated. it usually results in me crashing into a wall

so hey burnout tonight? :D my last free night because KUFCOD begins tomorrow

andrews, with the exception of now defunct comp usa, yeah the burger king ads work very well. i'm always playing late and they're open late. fantastic idea.

QVT said:
I happened to be reading the thread at the time :lol

I don't appreciate being bated. it usually results in me crashing into a wall

so hey burnout tonight? :D my last free night because KUFCOD begins tomorrow

andrews, with the exception of now defunct comp usa, yeah the burger king ads work very well. i'm always playing late and they're open late. fantastic idea.

Yes, Burnout tonite but I can't get on until 10 EST due to LOST!

FYI, for those who can not activate the Best Buy, Circuit City and Wal-Mart cars, there are non-sponsored versions of all these cars in the game. They are unlocked later on in the game, so you are not really missing out on anything.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Felix Lighter said:
FYI, for those who can not activate the Best Buy, Circuit City and Wal-Mart cars, there are non-sponsored versions of all these cars in the game. They are unlocked later on in the game, so you are not really missing out on anything.
I thought so. it would suck if you were missing cars on your list if you didn't use cheat codes.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
beelzebozo said:
i felt like such a tool the five minutes i drove that best buy car.
Burnout has never done Nascars right. It's like driving a fucking pencil Eraser. Unless you drive in a straight line, it's pure shit.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Speaking of Walmart cars and such, does anyone else get the feeling that this game might be the current "high water mark" for in-game advertising?

I think so, and for once I don't mind. As long as they don't spam a single ad on all the billboards and vehicles they can put whatever they want in there without diminishing the game experience.

On the other hand you couldn't pay me to drive a Best Buy or Walmart car, even in a videogame. Thats a desire I just don't understand at all.

NullPointer said:
I think so, and for once I don't mind. As long as they don't spam a single ad on all the billboards and vehicles they can put whatever they want in there without diminishing the game experience.

On the other hand you couldn't pay me to drive a Best Buy or Walmart car, even in a videogame. Thats a desire I just don't understand at all.

The Wal-Mart car didn't bother me. It's a formula 1 open wheeled race car. They are always covered with sponsors' logos.

QVT said:
I agree. I was totally jonesing for a burger the other night after seeing those billboards. I eventually went out and got one; not from Burger King though because their fries are shit and no amount of advertising will change that.

Felix Lighter said:
The Wal-Mart car didn't bother me. It's a formula 1 open wheeled race car. They are always covered with sponsors' logos.

Good point. I probably wouldn't mind either in that case.

On a completely random note I put a few hours into the game for the first time last night. Nothing goal oriented - just getting my bearings and letting loose throughout the city, and especially the mountain roads. So far I've been happy enough to just drive like a madman and take in the sights.

A few questions though, seeing as how the EA "manual" didn't really explain much:

* Do I actually HAVE to save my game before exiting? Since so much seems to be saving in the background it actually feels weird to have to go into the options and save the bloody game to disk. Stupid question probably, but do you really need to do this?

* How do you get started power parking? Is it a type of event? or does it take place at particular spots?

* Why didn't this game come with a fold-out map of the city with street names and points of interest? This game (and me) is begging for it.

NullPointer said:
* Do I actually HAVE to save my game before exiting? Since so much seems to be saving in the background it actually feels weird to have to go into the options and save the bloody game to disk. Stupid question probably, but do you really need to do this?

* How do you get started power parking? Is it a type of event? or does it take place at particular spots?

* Why didn't this game come with a fold-out map of the city with street names and points of interest? This game (and me) is begging for it.

* No need to save, the game auto-saves every time you smash a billboard or do anything that contributes to your completion total.

* Power parking - find two cars parked with a gap in between, and e-brake 180 into the open spot. There's an achievement for 100% perfect PP, and a power parking online challenge.

I believe it autosaves whenever you do something that changes the state of your game but I save before I exit anyways just to be careful.

Just look for parked cars within maybe 2 car lengths of each other and do a 180 slide between them. Try to get perfectly parallel and very close to the curb. Don't move until the game gives you your power park rating.

Probably because it would have cost EA too much money. Look at the manual, it's like 4 pages. EA is notorious for their tiny manuals but this game deserved more.

QVT

Gary Whitta said:
I agree. I was totally jonesing for a burger the other night after seeing those billboards. I eventually went out and got one; not from Burger King though because their fries are shit and no amount of advertising will change that.

SERIOUSLY? the only good thing about burger king is the fries. They're the best fries on the fast food market! Even better than In n out's and chick-fil-a's!

Thanks for the answers - looks like I'll try out some power parking next time.

I wouldn't have thought about saving the game at all if I hadn't seen the option available in the menu. I kinda stared at it and thought "Really? No, really? Why?".

So I guess its just for saving particular stats like total driving time/miles, etc.? I'd imagine all the important stuff like unlocked cars/gates/superjumps, etc. would all be autosaved.

I guess I'm still not sure what the point of it is.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
QVT said:
SERIOUSLY? the only good thing about burger king is the fries. They're the best fries on the fast food market! Even better than In n out's and chick-fil-a's!

rally's seasoned fries are amazing. let's get some rally's ads up in this piece to motivate me to eat fast food

QVT said:
Clearly you appreciate fries the same way you drive.

I remember when they changed the fries at BK, amidst much fanfare and even a free small fries for everyone for a day; they SUCKED. If it wasn't for the option to replace with onion rings I'd never eat there.

beelzebozo said:
rally's seasoned fries are amazing. let's get some rally's ads up in this piece to motivate me to eat fast food

Indeed. Although I don't think getting in a car straight after playing Burnout is a good idea for me. I remember after playing BO3, I'd almost involuntarily scan every intersection for the best point of impact.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Indeed. Although I don't think getting in a car straight after playing Burnout is a good idea for me. I remember after playing BO3, I'd almost involuntarily scan every intersection for the best point of impact.
I had to do it earlier this week, and even had some of the Burnout soundtrack songs playing in my car; NOT RECOMMENDED.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Felix Lighter said:

Yes, the original versions of the cars have exactly the same stats. The Wal Mart car is the only you might want to really use as you get to use it long before you get the real version. It is the last car you unlock(well, the burning PCPD version is)through event/license progression. Basically you get the best normal car as soon as you get your Burnout license instead of having to wait till near the end of the road to elite.

The other cars you get the real version at around the same time or they are cars you wouldn't use anyways.

Power-Parking Tip:

There are some spots in the game where you will find parked cars parked next to a wall instead of next to a curb. Since you can't over shoot the curb and the wall will automagically align you at the right angle it is a very cheap and easy way to get 100% for any people having problems with this. One area that is like this is beneath the dam.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Gary Whitta said:
I had to do it earlier this week, and even had some of the Burnout soundtrack songs playing in my car; NOT RECOMMENDED.

hearing "hey hey you i don't like your girlfriend, no way no way i think you need a new one" while you intentionally run over people's pets makes it slightly less disturbing

Wizpig

Can someone explain me how those "Street Rules" work?
I seriously don't get it. There are two options, time and show... so what?
I activate them, and then? How do i put on a show? or where is the beginning of the time attack?

birdman

h3ro said:
Do you mean the classical music that plays while the camera pans over Paradise City? Yeah, I thought that was pretty cool too...

For those working on their Elites, what cars are you guys using?

This Steel Wheels car is awesome!

I've been using the 4X4 for marked man. Strong enough to takedown the chasing cars, and fast enough to keep them at bay.

Wizpig said:
Can someone explain me how those "Street Rules" work?
I seriously don't get it. There are two options, time and show... so what?
I activate them, and then? How do i put on a show? or where is the beginning of the time attack?
To attempt to beat the Showtime score for any road, just go into Showtime mode (LB and RB together on 360) while on that road. You don't have to stay on that road, but you do have to start there.

To go for the time rule, go to either end of the road, bring up the time road rule, then hit the accelerator - you should see a timer start.

Wizpig

Gary Whitta said:
To attempt to beat the Showtime score for any road, just go into Showtime mode (LB and RB together on 360) while on that road. You don't have to stay on that road, but you do have to start there.

To go for the time rule, go to either end of the road, bring up the time road rule, then hit the accelerator - you should see a timer start.

Aladuf

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

oh cool! thanks for putting that up, I wasn't sure how to start up the time rule.

besada

Banned
MaizeRage25 said:
Yes, Burnout tonite but I can't get on until 10 EST due to LOST!

10 EST/9EST it is. I wanna see QVT wreck some more.

On the advertising, I can't say I've ever actually noticed any of them. The only ones I notice are the burnout billboards. Everything else is just a blur. I always focus on the other cars, sometimes to the exclusion of making my turn:lol

I got to play about 5 hours today and finally got my A license. Holy cow is that Gamestop car fast. I guess it also helped I was racing my favorite race (from the stadium to the wind farm) but I beat everyone else by miles, not seconds. I hit select to see where they were on the map and I could see them. you know how when you hit select it gives you a pretty big piece of the map to look at? They weren't even in that square. also got my 100% power-parking using the GS car.

I also finally got the hang of stunt events, racking up scores into the 200k's. Not too impressive compared to what I've seen discussed here but still good enough to get me my wins.

The P12 looks like a cross between a DeLorean and a Diablo, but man is it fast. It's burning route is my favorite race so I beat that one first try by quite a few seconds.

Got the van. uh, is it supposed to suck that much? I suppose it's good for Road Rage/Marked Man events but its handling is such I think I could do better with almost any other car save the Speed ones.
AltogetherAndrews said:
I just got back from a short jaunt to the store. I was doing the same thing and it took all my power to not do hard turns around corners while powerbraking. :lol

daw840

I just ran that stunt route that dammitmattt discussed earlier and got 528,000!!

I just wish that I was working on an elite challenge!

QVT

Gary Whitta said:
Clearly you appreciate fries the same way you drive.

I remember when they changed the fries at BK, amidst much fanfare and even a free small fries for everyone for a day; they SUCKED. If it wasn't for the option to replace with onion rings I'd never eat there.

Very quickly and with no remorse?

I dunno, I loved them after they changed although I couldn't really tell a difference. Which chips do you prefer?Hopefully not McDonalds because that's just horrible.

QVT said:
Very quickly and with no remorse?

I dunno, I loved them after they changed although I couldn't really tell a difference. Which chips do you prefer?Hopefully not McDonalds because that's just horrible.
Wendy's have the best fries. McDonalds are pretty good too.

Woo-Fu

Banned
beelzebozo said:
wow barrel rolls are like instant wins on stunt runs.

...or instant lose if you miss one after the timer expires. :) I do two or three before the timer runs out but after that I play it safe.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i think maps would probably really help everyone out here. i'm having trouble trying to suss out exactly where dammitmatt is telling us to make that run. i made a great 200,000+ run on the crsytal mountain train tracks almost by accident.

are there any good maps that show where the districts split, with street references, and ways to talk about them accurately?

I was thinking about stunt runs

Since boosting resets the little "clock timer", couldn't you just hit boost once, let it tick down a little bit, tap it again, then repeat? It could extend how much time you have by quite a lot

fistfulofmetal said:

Since boosting resets the little "clock timer", couldn't you just hit boost once, let it tick down a little bit, tap it again, then repeat? It could extend how much time you have by quite a lot

Same thing with driving in reverse. But boost isn't limitless, and you don't get many points from boosting or driving in reverse, so you still need to hit tricks and build up your multiplier.

beelzebozo said:
wow barrel rolls are like instant wins on stunt runs.

I love to Barrel Roll off that huge jump that shoots you down into the Quarry. You can get like a 5 or 6x multiplier off of it. It's crazy.

fistfulofmetal said:

I employ this strategy like crazy after the timer runs out. I can go for a pretty good while on just boost and reverse driving, hitting some 'safe' jumps in between.

dammitmattt said:
Same thing with driving in reverse. But boost isn't limitless, and you don't get many points from boosting or driving in reverse, so you still need to hit tricks and build up your multiplier.

Well the technique would be used to get to spots where you can do a lot of stunt.

fistfulofmetal said:
Well the technique would be used to get to spots where you can do a lot of stunt.

Yes, but the point is that you still need to drift, drive in oncoming, etc. so you don't run out of boost.

OatmealMu

I just want to say that I'm the victim here. Tonight, I was ruthlessly bullied, taunted, and verbally raped. My pure soul was violated and I will never be the same.

A curse on your mother's grave.

Top Bottom