• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Nightz

I was a little burned out (har har) after spending Saturday finding all the smashes and super jumps, so I didn't touch the game at all yesterday. But now that I'm here at work, I'm feeling the urge to play again. So tonight I shall restart my quest for my Elite license. 75 more events to complete!

Kolgar

I played Burnout for five hours yesterday (need 32 wins for my Elite license, 4 jumps and 4 billboards left too) and then shifted to Forza 2 for a couple of hours.

Couldn't sleep worth a damn, every time I closed my eyes I saw blurring landscapes whizzing by. :\

But yeah, can't wait to play again tonight!

h3ro said:
how and where?

You know the big ramp going off near the Quary? Not the one going INTO the quary, but the one further down the street that jumps off near the Dam?

Well, I was flying top speed attempting to get a nice flat spin, when the rear of my car clipped the wall, and sent me into an amazing spin :lol It wasn't intentional, and I'm sure it's not 100% repeatable on a consistent basis, but MAN did people freak out when they saw the record. I'll have to snap a pic on the camera and post it up, it was a pretty funny moment to hear everyone accuse me of cheating, excessive tearing...and then I was kicked, lol.

jeremy_ricci said:
You know the big ramp going off near the Quary? Not the one going INTO the quary, but the one further down the street that jumps off near the Dam?

Well, I was flying top speed attempting to get a nice flat spin, when the rear of my car clipped the wall, and sent me into an amazing spin :lol It wasn't intentional, and I'm sure it's not 100% repeatable on a consistent basis, but MAN did people freak out when they saw the record. I'll have to snap a pic on the camera and post it up, it was a pretty funny moment to hear everyone accuse me of cheating, excessive tearing...and then I was kicked, lol.
Speaking of flipping over records, has anyone else drifted for a number of miles in the fountain circle downtown?

Mr. Spinnington said:
Speaking of flipping over records, has anyone else drifted for a number of miles in the fountain circle downtown?

I've done something like 2,500 yards or something? So no, lol.

I remember one game I was playing in, someone had a drift record of 6,000 yards or something insane like that.

MrTroubleMaker said:
Congratulations :) but there is something I don't understand, since you, or anyone else have 101% complete, why doesn't it say 81 cars ? you should have gotten Carbon Krieger Uberschall 8 for completing 2 Sets of Online Challenges (the 81st car if you do the online stuff last). Note: I'm not there yet, soon hopefully, still finishing up a few more stunt runs :( and finishing up the online stuff.

thanks.
I'm at 99%, and nowhere close to 200 Freeburn Challenges. Just missing 6 Street rule though.

I'm very sure that the percentage is only for Offline stats.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Racing and Stunt Missions get kind of tiring but the Takedown and Marked Man missions will never get old. Theres nothing like taking down a bunch of bitches with the power of intertia. Also, the Inferno Van owns, now I know how it feels to be a 6'5 300lb monster picking on smaller people (ie, Inferno Van muscling those little two door aggressive racer cars).

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Burnout loses a lot of replay value when you play it alone. It's been so long since I've played it without live. I think I might just have to turn'er in when GTAIV drops :-/. Where is this damn airport again?

VaLiancY

The light bloom on the streets is killing me. It reminds me of Most Wanted. And is there an option to skip crashes? They lose novelty after the 2nd time you crash. They aren't that spectacular.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
New Burnout, Skate on the way
EA Games president reveals "extension" of driving and skateboarding series in next fiscal year, commits long-term to Mass Effect, and says next Need for Speed will return to series' roots.
By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted Feb 12, 2008 12:36 pm PT

Electronic Arts' open-world racing game Burnout Paradise still has that new car smell and the broken bones of Skate have barely had time to knit, but the publisher is already looking ahead to the next installments of those franchises.

In a presentation to industry analysts today, EA Games president Frank Gibeau revealed that the two series would "see extension" in the publisher's fiscal year 2009, which runs from this April through March of 2009. Gibeau didn't specify whether the extensions would come in the form of proper sequels, side products (such as Burnout Legends and Burnout Dominator), or some other form.

In contrast to Burnout, Skate is a relatively new property. The series debuted last September as part of EA's attempt to break Activision's hold on the skateboarding genre with long-time champ Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

"Tony Hawk has been the Madden of that category for a very long time, and our performance in this first year of skateboarding has greatly exceeded my expectations," Gibeau told investors. "I know they're going to come back and be competitive, but these are the fights that EA knows how to win."

Through December, the industry-tracking NPD Group reports that Tony Hawk's Proving Ground outsold Skate when all versions are taken into account. However, EA's new franchise was only released on two platforms compared to Tony Hawk's five, and the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Skate both bested their same-system counterparts in sales. EA's success in establishing the Skate franchise appears to have spurred Activision to action; the Tony Hawk publisher told investors last week that it would be re-engineering its flagship skating franchise, giving the brand a new direction.

Another new franchise EA is prepping a sequel for is Mass Effect, which was announced for the PC today. From the very first time now EA-owned developer BioWare showed it off in 2005, the role-playing game franchise was touted as trilogy. Gibeau's presentation today suggested it may not end there, as he told analysts that it "will be a franchise for [EA] for a very long time." He also said that going forward, EA will take over publishing duties on the Mass Effect franchise from Microsoft Game Studios, which handled the game's initial release on the Xbox 360.

Gibeau also mentioned the next installment in another of EA's racing franchises, Need for Speed. While a new Need for Speed in development isn't surprising (the franchise has been annualized since 2002's Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2), Gibeau did give the analysts an early look at the direction EA would be taking with the next installment of the series.

Noting that sales of last year's Need for Speed ProStreet didn't live up to EA's hopes for the game, Gibeau said he thinks it was because the series drifted too far from what consumers expected. ProStreet had dropped the tuner culture and police evasion aspects of previous installments in favor of perfectly legit closed track racing. For the next Need for Speed, Gibeau promised that the series would be getting back to its roots with a number of features, including open-world racing and a new highway battle mode.

:[

please be DLC, please be DLC...

there's some empty space in the mountains on the NW part of the map, though since it's mountains I'm sure it will be frowned upon as the mountains in the current map aren't exactly favorites for a lot of people.

Xun

I goddamn hope that's DLC.

I don't want another Burnout in a long time, if EA want another racer from Criterion to fill the shoes of Burnout, just get them to work on Dust Storm (you guys remember that... right?) along with new IP's.

BlueTsunami

I've gotten better at Burning Routes. You really do commit the City and routes to memory and I find that I'm instinctively picking the best routes from point A to point B.

Stunt runs have become sort of easier too. Its funny how Stunt runs at the beginning of the game consisted of just chaining together some Barrel Rolls, now you have to travel an actual route to get those high scores. Good stuff

DuckRacer

BlueTsunami said:
I've gotten better at Burning Routes. You really do commit the City and routes to memory and I find that I'm instinctively picking the best routes from point A to point B.
Yeah. I've done a few where I realized the suggested route isn't the fastest way. With those, I usually turned left or right at the start and I shaved off like 20 seconds in time, which is huge.

Doc Evils said:
what car should I use?

P12.

If you take that jump, you can seriously get a 6x multiplier. Then there should be a bunch of jumps to do down there. Also, the bridge (farthest south on your map) has a couple of jumps and two billboards you can get.

Neo Child

Banned
I've just downloaded the demo and spent a good 40 minutes on it.

Wow!

I've played all previous Burnouts and in my opinion each release only got better (with the exception of Dominator/Legends). I love the speed, the fact that you can go anywhere, the 'E-Turns', the huge jumps, spectacular crashes, theres so many shortcuts and I've still only discovered 8/40+ so secret tapes (and thats just the demo!). The demo is moderate in size, still more than I expected though and looking at the final map I can only be amazed.

Throw in the Races, Road Rages and Burning Laps and this is a fantastic game, can't wait to buy the game (the only thing stopping me is lack of caa$$$h)!! :D

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
For the Elite license, you pretty much to do every event again, right? You can't just redo the same event twice?

I ask cause I see events that I've already completed being unchecked. Or maybe it's cause I'm using different cars now...I dont know.

newsguy

Wario64 said:
For the Elite license, you pretty much to do every event again, right? You can't just redo the same event twice?

I ask cause I see events that I've already completed being unchecked. Or maybe it's cause I'm using different cars now...I dont know.

Once you've completed a license, you can repeat that same event, of course it's tougher with the next license.

santouras

Mr. Spinnington said:
about 2.3miles before I got bored. I still can't flatspin past 200 degrees tho, I have no idea how people are spinning so far without getting help from a wall/car clip

h3ro

santouras said:
about 2.3miles before I got bored. I still can't flatspin past 200 degrees tho, I have no idea how people are spinning so far without getting help from a wall/car clip

Find a really hi jump, like the entrance to the Quarry or the jump right outside the Quarry and hit the hand-brake right before the jump...

You know, ever since it came to light that completing all 350 online challenges didnt get you an extra car or anything at all, I haven't seen that many ppl playing online. A couple on my friends list are playing DMC4, but its been over a week since i saw at least 5 ppl playing the game online at the same time.

_RT_

One of the first weekends in a while I don't have a boatload planned.
Think ima pick this up and see what all the fuss is about.

Woo-Fu

Banned
AlphaTwo00 said:
I'm at 99%, and nowhere close to 200 Freeburn Challenges. Just missing 6 Street rule though.

I'm very sure that the percentage is only for Offline stats.

It isn't.

You get 100% for offline and 1% for the car you receive for two full sets of online challenges.

Steroyd

How do I tell that flashing street sign during races to piss off!? :mad:

It puts me off during races and I never successfully turn into the next road because it very prematurely starts flashing.

Xun

Steroyd said:
How do I tell that flashing street sign during races to piss off!? :mad:

It puts me off during races and I never successfully turn into the next road because it very prematurely starts flashing.
I wish there were more options so that we can turn off stuff such as that (even though I personally kinda like it), video sequences and the annoying shaky cam.

But apart from those problems I think the game is perfect.

Finally got all Billboards and Jumps this morning and I have 5 smashes left. Completed all of the stunt runs and almost all of the marked man events. The stunt runs were getting to me because I couldn't get near the 500,000 for the event no matter what. Then I changed cars and suddenly I just got it. I could boost-link around entire portions of the city. I actually ended up getting over 250k just on the stunt part and the x40 achievement in the same run. After that, I had three stunt runs left and I just hit them on all cylinders and got multi-million scores each time. So awesome.

I have one burning route left (the WTR) but I haven't had the car appear yet so I guess I'll go back to marked man routes. I hate MM right now...4 cars all trying to kill me and they accelerate from 0-95 in 1 second to take me down. I tried big trucks to try to bully them and it worked from the 2-3 cars but for 4 it sucks. I tried a fast car and lots of short cuts but all of the MM routes left all end in the hills. ugh. My current strategy that I'm going to try later today is to use the Carson GT Steel Wheels car and see if that works. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll find those last 5 crashes and use the carbon version.

Neo Child

Banned
Is it just me or does anyone else love the Showtime mode? I just love the fact you can call it up and watch it going crazy with cars swerving out the way and everything :lol

Neo Child said:
Is it just me or does anyone else love the Showtime mode? I just love the fact you can call it up and watch it going crazy with cars swerving out the way and everything :lol

Never played a previous burnout did you?;)

BlueTsunami

I've been trying to do the Burning Route for the G12? (the car with the Scorpion on the front). OMFG. I pretty much found the optimal route but fuck is it hard to pull through without crashing once.

h3ro

burgerdog said:
I saw the 360 sale numbers, what did the ps3 version end up doing?

PS3: 83K
360: 144K

Not bad considering the game came out January 22nd in NA. Also, I'm happy with how the PS3 version performed considering the install ratio b/w the two consoles...

so was it just a glitch or did two of the super jumps have extra requirements? the one in the airfield and one on a train track both required me to barrel-roll for the jump to count and the airfield also required you to do this through the fuselage. I jumped through the fuselage and landed and was quite annoyed that it didn't count until I did a barrel-roll through it.

h3ro

burgerdog said:
Seems really low, any idea how previous games have performed?

Not as well..

I don't understand where all this "OMG BURNOUT BOMBA" is coming from! The game came out with only ten days worth of sales in the month and was still in the top ten of games sold that month. Also, its on its way to be the best selling Burnout title ever! (can someone pull the numbers for me?)

I think it will do really well world wide, especially in Europe (the PS3 version should be tops even though the UK favored 360). I believe it is being released in Japan next week on the 22nd as well.

Back to the game, guys..

I think I've found my perfect car to use for the races... the Montgomery Hawker... not the Solo with the stupid teeth paint job. Great handling, good speed and it can take a few hits. Handling is the key though, for me anyway.

What are your "Go-To" cars?

Races - Montgomery Hawker
Marked Man/Road Rage - Citizen/Civilian depending on paint job mood :p
Stunt - Jansen P12 Track

Concept17

Just picked this up a couple days ago.. put 6 hours in...

I spent 4 hours online with the first car, getting frustrated with always getting owned by other people. The other two hours I've spent unlocking more cars, and my enjoyment with the game has increased significantly.

My only problem with the game so far, is when you have the ONE person online who doesn't help with the challenges... or even worse, they just drive around taking everyone down while everyone else is trying to complete the challenge... SO FRUSTRATING.

Otherwise, this game has breathed new life into the racing genre for me. From presentation to how near perfect the sandbox/online system works, the game is all aces in my book. Devs deserve a huge pat on the back for trying and succeeding in something entirely new.

h3ro said:

Stunt - Jansen P12 Track
Race/Stunt = GT Flame/Hawker/Hawker Solo
Marked Man/Road Rage = Inferno BRT Van/Takedown 4x4 Dirt/GT Steel Wheels

The_Dude

Finally got my last smash tonight, so that's all the 'collectible' stuff done (outside of all cars), without a stinking guide. So satisfying :D Now back to all that superfluous stuff like racing and so on.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Screw this crap!!!:lol 6 smashes short from the finish of em...and I have no idea where there are. And its not all in one area. One in each Silver Lake and downtown with 4 in Harbor >_>
Collected all the Billboards and Jumps really easily.

How do I view the races

Markman...is ****
Road Rage is fun
Race are men
Stunt runs are easy
Burning routes should switch to the car you need if you have it

ch0mp

h3ro said:

Stunt - Jansen P12 Track

Cant go past the citizen for marked man and road rage.

Races/Stunts I mostly used the Jansen Carbon x12 or the Montgomery Hawker. Both of them are good for racing as well as stunts.

Edit: Is anyone else finding this way easier than Revenge? (only other burnout I've played) 2-3 Tries for most of the burning routes, 1 for road rage and marked man. I feel like I'm going to run out of stuff to do pretty quickly.

Top Bottom