• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

tha_con

Banned
I cannot wait for custom soundtracks.

Oddly enough, playing GTA IV has pushed me right back into BOP. I just absolutely love the way all the vehicles handle in BoP.

_RT_

With GRID on the way, I think it may be time for me to part with burnout.
sad. I was really looking forward to the new DLC.

matthsv said:
i think you fell for it ;)
that's what I get for being up since 5am. :)
dark10x said:
Errr, while I doubt that a PC version is actually on the way, why on earth would it have Crysis like requirements? I mean, the game was designed to run at 60 fps on consoles so the PC should have no trouble pulling it off. Games like Gears of War and Lost Planet (console ports) easily hold 60 fps on the PC.
I was being facetious. ;)

h3ro

_RT_ said:
With GRID on the way, I think it may be time for me to part with burnout.
sad. I was really looking forward to the new DLC.

Grid sucks. Burnout is THE best arcade racer of this gen..

(PGR is one of those arcadey sims :p )

gcubed

i must say i picked it up recectly when i found it for a few bucks off plus a giftcard to give it a try. I wasnt a fan of the demo and i heard so much bitching in this forum, but i absolutely love this game. I'm glad i didnt pass on it.

Shearie

New pics of the new island on the criterion website and apparently it's coming in the Davis update instead of the Eastwood update now.

Shearie said:
New pics of the new island on the criterion website and apparently it's coming in the Davis update instead of the Eastwood update now.
Uh, the Davis update? So the new island is going to cost money after all? D:

2490395818_ff7198ea64.jpg

looks like a Veyron.

Beezy

Can someone tell me what exactly are each of the updates for this game, when can we expect them, and which ones will be free? The bogart update also. I have no idea what that was.

Beezy said:
Can someone tell me what exactly are each of the updates for this game, when can we expect them, and which ones will be free? The bogart update also. I have no idea what that was.
Right now, if you log online, you will reseave Bogart update. That contains mainly bug fixes and minor gameflow improvements.

Cagney is the next update (within 30 days). This is a FREE update that will add new online modes, new online events, 4 (6?) new cars, new Front End, new "NEWS FEED", other online add-ons (such as online car damage), PS3 also gets custom MP3s.

Davis is the one after (scheduled end of august?). This is the first pay one (although it's unsure whether non-paying users will still get content (because of online play)). Paying users will get Night time racing, Bikes, and apparently (as I'm reading now, a new Island)

Eastwood was the last they announced (TBA date). No idea what this is now, because originally, this was the new island.

Shearie

From what I gathered, you don't pay for any of the updates including Davis. The only thing that has been announced that you pay for are the motorcycles and that comes alongside the Davis update. Also, unless the new island is single-player only (which would suck), I highly doubt that they are going to piss everybody off and charge for it.

Of course none of us truly knows the details of this since Criterion haven't explained them fully.

Shearie

I guess the island coming in the Davis update was a typo because now it's back to saying it's coming in the Eastwood update.

FabCam

I'm doing some work experience at Criterion in a few weeks, so I've been playing Paradise again. I still love it. I really think the open world was for the better.

Beezy

I got my Burnout Paradise License and I did all the time road rules on Saturday. I have 61 cars. Game says I'm 69% done. What do you have to do to get 100%? Find everything (smashes, etc.), do all the showtime road rules, get every car and get the Burnout Elite license? Or do the online challenges contribute to overall percentage also?

Beezy

FabCam said:
I'm doing some work experience at Criterion in a few weeks, so I've been playing Paradise again. I still love it. I really think the open world was for the better.
It's for the better with every event except the races imo. Having to pay attention to the map while racing and losing a race because I made one wrong turn is annoying.

Beezy said:
I got my Burnout Paradise License and I did all the time road rules on Saturday. I have 61 cars. Game says I'm 69% done. What do you have to do to get 100%? Find everything (smashes, etc.), do all the showtime road rules, get every car and get the Burnout Elite license? Or do the online challenges contribute to overall percentage also?

100% completion doesn't count online, I don't think. I am pretty sure you just need to get the Criterion Elite achievement (all road rules, all smashes, all jumps, all billboards, all drive-thrus, elite license) to hit 100%.

If I'm not mistaken the game has 81 cars total, including 3-4 that were preorder bonuses from various retailers (the codes for which are in the OP of this topic).

Beezy

oddworld18 said:
100% completion doesn't count online, I don't think. I am pretty sure you just need to get the Criterion Elite achievement (all road rules, all smashes, all jumps, all billboards, all drive-thrus, elite license) to hit 100%.

If I'm not mistaken the game has 81 cars total, including 3-4 that were preorder bonuses from various retailers (the codes for which are in the OP of this topic).

Thanks, I'm sure I can do that before the next updates arrive. Looking for all the smashes, billboards, and jumps is starting to bother me though. I have about 20 of the first two left to find and about 10 jumps left and I have no idea where they are.

FabCam

Beezy said:
Thanks, I'm sure I can do that before the next updates arrive. Looking for all the smashes, billboards, and jumps is starting to bother me though. I have about 20 of the first two left to find and about 10 jumps left and I have no idea where they are.

If you have the PS3 version you can save your data onto a USB stick and upload it onto their site. They then give you a map showing you where all the billboards and smashes are.

dralla

I'm thinking about picking this up tomorrow, couple of questions.

1. The camera in the demo was way too low to the ground and it was hard to see in front of me, are there more camera options in the final game?

2. Is there some sort of waypoint system similar to GTAIV when doing the races? I don't want to keep checking my map every 10 seconds to see if I'm going the right way.

3. Have custom soundtracks been added? [PS3 version]

4. What kind of DLC has been added so far?

Beezy

FabCam said:
If you have the PS3 version you can save your data onto a USB stick and upload it onto their site. They then give you a map showing you where all the billboards and smashes are.
Nah, I got the 360 version. I don't have a PS3 yet.

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
dralla said:

1. The camera in the demo was way too low to the ground and it was hard to see in front of me, are there more camera options in the final game?

2. Is there some sort of waypoint system similar to GTAIV when doing the races? I don't want to keep checking my map every 10 seconds to see if I'm going the right way.

3. Have custom soundtracks been added? [PS3 version]

4. What kind of DLC has been added so far?
1. not sure
2. nope :(
3. Not yet, at the end of June in Cagney update
4. Nothing significant (bug fixes mostly)

Aaron

dralla said:

None other than first person. I really can't recommend this game. Once you get to where you need 25 events to get to the next class, the game becomes a total grind that shows off how thin an experience it really is. It is fun online, but even that doesn't last that long. Probably the worst of the Burnout series. Never played the first or the PSP one though.

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
Aaron said:
None other than first person. I really can't recommend this game. Once you get to where you need 25 events to get to the next class, the game becomes a total grind that shows off how thin an experience it really is. It is fun online, but even that doesn't last that long. Probably the worst of the Burnout series. Never played the first or the PSP one though.
WORST of the series, you have got to be kidding me? 1 and 2 are boring.

dralla said:

There is no waypoint system like GTA4, but there are cues. The street signs that appear on the top left/right as you pass will flash and beep if you can/should take the turn.

When you first start racing though you're better off holding back a little and following the rest of the cars until you get closer to the end of the race, and then go for glory. Its safe to do this until you get a better mental map of the city.

IF you like open world games and IF you love Burnout style balls-to-the-wall racing then I couldn't recommend this game enough. When you start to learn the layout of the city and just instinctively know your way around you'll find yourself doing all kinds of crazy things to win a race.

Besides that its just fun as hell to drive/smash the cars. Take any new ride you pick up and do "the loop". Start at the East Crawford junkyard (your starting location when playing for the first time) Drive south along the waterfront all the way west until you reach the SouthBeach Expressway Bridge, take the soft left and speed your way all the way across the mountain road/jumps/shortcuts until you hit Lawrence, take a left into the tunnel and follow 7th all the way back to East Crawford to the Junkyard. Its a great ride, and a good way to get a feel for the quirks of all the different cars.

I'm a little annoyed that they are going to be doing stuff for people who post a lot on the official forums and stuff. I see the point of it but if you don't know (or have the time) for such a thing you're not going to be getting these things at all. Oh well, free updates are still cool.

DuckRacer

dralla said:
Is there a list of where the burning routes are for each vehicle?
Just get into a non-tuned vehicle (if there's two versions of a vehicle, you already have the tuned version) and you'll see a brown star on the mini-map pointing you towards the burning route for that vehicle. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but I'm guessing you want to complete all the burning routes and I'd imagine that'd be a better way of going about it.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Which has better driving physics, BP or GTA IV?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
isamu said:
Driving physics are much tighter in BP. Cars feel a lot more realistically heavy. GTA4 has a lot more springy and cartoony physics, which is intended that way for sure.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
isamu said:
GTA IV probably has better physics. You can't do things like make a precise 90 degree turn at high speeds without spinning out or slamming into something, just like a you would in real life.

Which, uh, isn't really that enjoyable.

BP's driving physics aren't realistic, but they're fun.

Shig said:
GTA IV probably has better physics. You can't do things like make a precise 90 degree turn at high speeds without spinning out or slamming into something, just like a you would in real life.

Which, uh, isn't really that enjoyable.

BP's driving physics aren't realistic, but they're fun.

exactly. Burnouts physics/ car handling are the best in any arcade racer imo. it just works so damn well. i think it would have been perfect for GTA4. the cars are just frustrating for this kind of game.. hell, i even had to restart a mission because i drove a truck of a bridge.. just because the damn thing wouldn't steer as much as i liked. and the constant spinning at races... took away some of the fun.. and that's a shame.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Always-honest said:
exactly. Burnouts physics/ car handling are the best in any arcade racer imo.

You obviously have not played Ridge Racer 7. :D

Best arcade physics(and game) ever!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
isamu said:
You obviously have not played Ridge Racer 7. :D

Best arcade physics(and game) ever!

Yeah driving down the road continiuing to do 360 donuts without slowing down is realistic.

Top Bottom