• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Alidar

Neo Member
EktorPR said:
Talk about putting a "spin" on something. :lol

I was joking. Well, mostly anyway. Still, it's very odd that the 360 achievements were the same as the PS3 in-game awards for the most part, then they patch trophy support with far easier requirements than the same game on another platform and the goals in the game itself?

I understand they're trying to make the game "more accessible" (the bike pack was so easy I finished it on the first day and haven't felt much of an urge to go back to it since), but it's weird and a little disappointing how simple some of the recent tasks added to the game are. I just don't get it. It's not like the in-game awards were all that hard or unbalanced in the first place...

Alidar said:
I was joking. Well, mostly anyway. Still, it's very odd that the 360 achievements were the same as the PS3 in-game awards for the most part, then they patch trophy support with far easier requirements than the same game on another platform and the goals in the game itself?

I understand they're trying to make the game "more accessible" (the bike pack was so easy I finished it on the first day and haven't felt much of an urge to go back to it since), but it's weird and a little disappointing how simple some of the recent tasks added to the game are. I just don't get it. It's not like the in-game awards were all that hard or unbalanced in the first place...
Well, the PS3's in game always had more, and slightly lower ones. MS does have that hard 50 achievement cap back then, and I think Criterion has always wanted to hand out more, at the lower levels of the game to encourage more play.

burgerdog said:
Has anybody else gotten the 4th bike yet? I hate not being able to choose a female driver for it :(
Yes. I'm sure a lot us have. Yeah, it sucks, however, it does have the flags, which has been the hotly contested thing for the Criterion leaderboards.

GO GO TEAM CANADA.

Darkpen

Banned
Remy said:
It should be released Thursday, in line with the PSN version of the game.
oh, that's cool. Makes me wish I held back on my purchase :)

Its so much easier to just pick the game from the games list, than popping in the disc.

Alidar

Neo Member
AlphaTwo00 said:
Well, the PS3's in game always had more, and slightly lower ones. MS does have that hard 50 achievement cap back then, and I think Criterion has always wanted to hand out more, at the lower levels of the game to encourage more play.

Yeah, they had more due to not including any online awards. However, not all of them were easier ones - the 40x stunt multiplier is arguably the most difficult award in the game, and winning a marked man with the WTR isn't exactly a simple task either. The thing is that it just seems a little TOO skewed to the lower levels, as the requirements are greatly lower in some cases (such as needing 10 super jumps instead of all 50).

Darkpen

Banned
AlphaTwo00 said:
Yes. I'm sure a lot us have. Yeah, it sucks, however, it does have the flags, which has been the hotly contested thing for the Criterion leaderboards.

GO GO TEAM CANADA.
They really need to have flags for most major countries :(

AndyD

aka andydumi
Alidar said:
Yeah, they had more due to not including any online awards. However, not all of them were easier ones - the 40x stunt multiplier is arguably the most difficult award in the game, and winning a marked man with the WTR isn't exactly a simple task either. The thing is that it just seems a little TOO skewed to the lower levels, as the requirements are greatly lower in some cases (such as needing 10 super jumps instead of all 50).

The thing is they can track how many people have done what out of the player base. So if they feel that say 50% of players ought to get every trophy, then that tells you that the other 50% have played even less than the current trophy requirements.

I am sure if they requires 102%, then only a couple hundred people would ever get the platinum trophy. Much like Warhawk where general requires some 1000 hours of game time, whereas something like Uncharted can be done in a week. Right now Warhawk has a couple hundred generals out of at least a hundred thousand players... a .002 Platinum trophy rate. I think a rate of 15-25% is reasonable for any game.

They have to have a sense of consistency and award, without making the game a chore. And I don't mean not playing the game, because an A license will require a good bit of time. But without a retry option... a lot of people get disenchanted when they bring it down to the last few road rules or races and stop playing.

On a side note, how do I change the time of day in a SP game? Is it even possible, or do I have to sit around until night time?

Volcynika

andydumi said:
The thing is they can track how many people have done what out of the player base. So if they feel that say 50% of players ought to get every trophy, then that tells you that the other 50% have played even less than the current trophy requirements.

I am sure if they requires 102%, then only a couple hundred people would ever get the platinum trophy. Much like Warhawk where general requires some 1000 hours of game time, whereas something like Uncharted can be done in a week. Right now Warhawk has a couple hundred generals out of at least a hundred thousand players... a .002 Platinum trophy rate. I think a rate of 15-25% is reasonable for any game.

They have to have a sense of consistency and award, without making the game a chore. And I don't mean not playing the game, because an A license will require a good bit of time. But without a retry option... a lot of people get disenchanted when they bring it down to the last few road rules or races and stop playing.

On a side note, how do I change the time of day in a SP game? Is it even possible, or do I have to sit around until night time?

Go through the menus on single player offline, one of the choices is Time Of Day.

Darkpen said:
They really need to have flags for most major countries :(
It's a cap carried from their leaderboard setup. For the longest time, Canada wasn't even up there.

They did a tournament, and eventually, the top 10? scoring country teams got leaderboard rep.

For anyone having trouble with a corrupted download I was able to fix it by playing the game for a couple minutes (after getting the error message) and then turned the system off and on and it worked again.

EktorPR

burgerdog said:
Has anybody else gotten the 4th bike yet? I hate not being able to choose a female driver for it :(

How many times I have to say that YES, you CAN choose a female driver for it! (unless you're playing the 360 version and there's a difference there)

h3ro

Angst said:
Any word yet if the PSN version will be up in EU this thursday as well?

No reason it shouldn't be... With Criterion being based in Europe, I think they would have specified if it would be releasing at different times in the different regions...

Also, got my 101% in the bikes last night... :D

Anton668

EktorPR said:
How many times I have to say that YES, you CAN choose a female driver for it! (unless you're playing the 360 version and there's a difference there)

Care to elaborate on how to get a female driver on the GP Competition?

BuRT!

Bought the game today on 360. Do people still actively play online? heh, gamertag is 'el burto' if anyone care to add me!

Mar

EktorPR said:

You can't on the 360 version. Unless there's some super secret hidden menu somewhere.

That's fucking weird.

BuRT! said:
Bought the game today on 360. Do people still actively play online? heh, gamertag is 'el burto' if anyone care to add me!
Online is still very active, however, it seems to be much harder to get good rooms where people actually want to do races or challenges.

chriskun

if anyone needs anybody to finish challenges with the bikes or cars send me an invite, gt is dukeofrock. I'm on right now.

Volcynika

Ah. I promised myself I'd finish and get a Burnout license before midnight tonight (US Central Time) and I did it! Now that I see I have to do a huuuuuuuge amount of stuff for the Elite, I hope to finish it by.........2009. :lol

Are the trophies retrospective, or will I have to do all that stuff again? Considering the billboards stay smashed, and yellow barriers disappear, I'm assuming they'll be retrospective...

guggnichso

Banned
They SAID trophies would be retroactive, but they aren't.

They fucking aren't. That or I have a bug or something. :(

EDIT: They most definitely are not retroactive. Buddys from my List have the game nearly 100% completed and didn't get anything too.

Fucking criterion lying to us, now I can delete my save and start from the beginning.

Sean

Banned
Mar_ said:
You can't on the 360 version. Unless there's some super secret hidden menu somewhere.

That's fucking weird.

You can... it's right on the vehicle selection screen, when you choose a bike there's an option for male or female driver (above the color customization options).

riazor69

Neo Member
Trophies are not going to be retroactive. See post below:

http://www.criteriongames.com/article.php?artID=350

"Burnout Paradise saves are locked to your profile. We had hoped to use this to retroactively award trophies, but we discovered during testing that this is not possible. You will therefore require a fresh game-save to receive trophies in Burnout Paradise. If you're familiar with PS3 trophies already, you'll recognise that this works in the same way as all other games that have added trophy support post-release."

Pity.

Anton668

riazor69 said:

"Burnout Paradise saves are locked to your profile. We had hoped to use this to retroactively award trophies, but we discovered during testing that this is not possible. You will therefore require a fresh game-save to receive trophies in Burnout Paradise. If you're familiar with PS3 trophies already, you'll recognise that this works in the same way as all other games that have added trophy support post-release."

not fucking funny criterion!

Suck balls Criterion. I started playing the game again because they said repeatedly trophies would be retroactive. Now I've got to delete all my stuff and start over? They obviously knew this wasn't going to work some time before the update went live, thanks for the warning.

maxax

I put fucking 80 hours into this game to get everything, now I have to do it again? It wouldn't have been so bad if they didn't promise retroactivity from the start.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
OK, no Burnout-trophies for me then. Fuck this, I'm not doing my entire career all over again just for trophies, just like I didn't go through Uncharted all over again just for trophies.

Mar

Sean said:
You can... it's right on the vehicle selection screen, when you choose a bike there's an option for male or female driver (above the color customization options).

Not for the last bike you unlock.

I think this is where the confusion comes up. People read this and think everyone's talking about any of the first three bikes. So once again. The very last bike you unlock, at 100%, has no female rider.

Canti

Gah @ the patch. Could use my existing save file to get some trophies (the bronze things like repair your car, drive 500 yards on wrong side of road), but without retroactivity I can't reachieve some of the goals to get trophies! I mean, if I was on 99% on bikes and then reached 100% today, pretty sure it'd give you the trophy... but if you already have 100% before the patch? Screwed. That goes for about 2/3rds of the games trophies ~_~ Doubt I'll restart.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Canti said:
Gah @ the patch. Could use my existing save file to get some trophies (the bronze things like repair your car, drive 500 yards on wrong side of road), but without retroactivity I can't reachieve some of the goals to get trophies! I mean, if I was on 99% on bikes and then reached 100% today, pretty sure it'd give you the trophy... but if you already have 100% before the patch? Screwed. That goes for about 2/3rds of the games trophies ~_~ Doubt I'll restart.

Well, look at the trophies list. They dont mirror all the in game awards one. For example, there is no Elite license trophy. Only Burnout (Gold). So you better copy your save somewhere, do the trophy thing, and put it back.

PS: My kid just unlocked a couple of trophies :lol I'll let him play for a while :D

riazor69 said:

Pity.

i will not start a fresh game. fuck that

Wurm

Banned
Bullshit! Also their excuse that "all other" Trophies are like that is a lie. The Mainichi Issho trophies checked you save after viewing one News Item, and awarded the rest of the trophies you'd retroactively earned.

Would have been a simple case of having the trophies match the 'Awards' list, then maybe one easy extra one to trigger the game searching your awards list to them.

Fucking disappointed with Criterion over this.

Lince

Banned
You will therefore require a fresh game-save to receive trophies in Burnout Paradise

I bought the game this morning and played for a while (just before the trophies patch went live) and then rebooted when I knew of the update, since then I've achieved some trophies so I'm not sure of the fresh game-save thing.

Top Bottom