• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Funny things I found out:

- Installed game is "Version 1.00" but when you start it it downloads "Version 1.50".
- Installed game uses it's own save file.
- Downloading the patch for 1.50 while starting the PSN version I worried about where the patch would install to - the PSN game or the area the 1.40 patch is kept - and almost deleted the 1.40 patch. Then I figured "oh what the hell, it's going to be 1.50 at any rate" and downloaded it. After install, I found out that the file on the PS3 currently is for the disc only and is still at 1.40.

So in other words, if you buy the PSN version you don't have to really worry about starting over for trophies because you have to anyway!

(cross-posting to the other BP thread)

Mar

Google said:
Why the fuck are you guys getting upset that you dont get your fucking trophies?

Well I fully understand. Being a big fan of 360 achievements. However I do find it kind of ironic considering Sony players used to laugh and mock 360 players about their achievements ;).

Finished all the bike challenges last night. Started a 2 player game with a friend of mine, finished all the 2 player challenges, then decided to open it up to randoms. To my surprise, it filled up to 8 players in under a minute. Last time I played a 2 player open game no one joined for about an hour. I just put it down to the fact no one likes joining a 2 player game (I never do). But, there you go. Full in seconds. The player base must have expanded with the bikes update.

Once they were all complete and we played until everyone was ready for bed. I went back to the cars. I have 5 challenges left in the game, and all of those are 8 player timed car challenges. My god did it feel weird going back to a car. The steering is so sensitive. I even forgot you can go around corners at full speed just using drift. Since playing the bikes, the cars just feel boring.

I didn't get any of the car challenges done however. I was too tired and went to bed. Shouldn't be a problem getting those last five though seeing as they are 8 player ones. In my experience the hardest to complete are the 6 and 7 player ones. Simply because that number of players doesn't last long. Everyone joins those and it's always up to 8 in a matter of minutes or less.

I love this game. Best damn game ever made.

Google said:
Why the fuck are you guys getting upset that you dont get your fucking trophies?

It's mindblowing, really. They didn't get us retroactive fucking trophies and the entire year of free content has gone straight out the window.

Bunch of ungrateful pricks, the lot of you.

Trophies/Achievements = Worst of the worst when it comes to video games this gen. I wish that shit never happened.

ElyrionX

Wow, the amount of bitching and crying in this thread over the trophies is absolutely pathetic.

It's just some fucking meaningless points and graphics within a virtual environment, people! Get it in context, jesus christ.

one other thing about the PSN version of the game: there's no longer a place to input codes for the store cars. I went into Under the Hood and the option isn't there. Or if it is, I'm seriously not seeing it.

Alidar

Neo Member
The lack of retro trophies sucked, for sure. Now we figure out why they were so absolutely easy compared to the 360 and in-game versions. Game is a lot faster on your second playthrough, plus you don't need to get the elite license, get all smashes/jumps, all road rules, etc. Took me a dozen hours to get almost 100% on the trophies, maybe 15 hours. Seriously, it's a very easy platinum trophy (only the trophies tied to the original game triggers it, so I had it at 88%).

I say almost because a gold trophy is freaking bugged - I did 17 timed car challenges and didn't get anything - neither did the two others in my group at the time. Looking around various forums, this isn't exactly an isolated incident. I'm afraid I'll be told to delete my save yet again and try again.

BeeDog

I almost broke my DS3 in half (literally!) when maxax tried to host an 8p room to get the Stadium trophy. So many fucking morons drop out all of a sudden or start idling like mad. Argh. Thankfully it is done now.

EDIT: oh, I also have a question regarding webcams and Mugshots. I have an older Logitech webcam, but when I connect it to the PS3 it lights up as if running, but the PS3 doesn't seem to sense it (the Camera Settings in Accessory Settings doesn't bring up anything). Just to make sure, to be able to send Mugshots, does the PS3 settings menu need to be able to sense it, or does Burnout Paradise have support for external webcams separately from the PS3 OS?

maxax

BeeDog said:
I almost broke my DS3 in half (literally!) when maxax tried to host an 8p room to get the Stadium trophy. So many fucking morons drop out all of a sudden or start idling like mad. Argh. Thankfully it is done now.

I imagined it would go like that, what annoyed me almost more was everyone crashing into me inside the stadium while I was trying to access the player menu to kick the idlers.
Thank god it's done now. :)

For the Mugshot thing, I will probably buy a PS Eye, since I "need" it for LBP anyway. But I hear any webcam would work, don't know why yours isn't detected.

Anyone having problems downloading the update?

I had 1.40 and when I started the download for 1.50 the PS3 would just "beep" and reboot. I deleted the game data to go back to 1.00 and now the download is stuck at 0%

spoon!

Metalmurphy said:
Anyone having problems downloading the update?

I had 1.40 and when I started the download for 1.50 the PS3 would just "beep" and reboot. I deleted the game data to go back to 1.00 and now the download is stuck at 0%
My copy arrive today. Tried updating it between playing wipeout, but the download speed was incredibly slow. I'm not even sure if itll finish if I leave it overnight :/

jett

D-Member
bune duggy said:
Funny things I found out:

- Installed game is "Version 1.00" but when you start it it downloads "Version 1.50".
- Installed game uses it's own save file.
- Downloading the patch for 1.50 while starting the PSN version I worried about where the patch would install to - the PSN game or the area the 1.40 patch is kept - and almost deleted the 1.40 patch. Then I figured "oh what the hell, it's going to be 1.50 at any rate" and downloaded it. After install, I found out that the file on the PS3 currently is for the disc only and is still at 1.40.

So in other words, if you buy the PSN version you don't have to really worry about starting over for trophies because you have to anyway!

(cross-posting to the other BP thread)

Oh wow so the download is 3 gigs PLUS the downloadable content? How much space does the fully updated PSN Burnout takes?

Tntnnbltn

jett said:
Oh wow so the download is 3 gigs PLUS the downloadable content? How much space does the fully updated PSN Burnout takes?
US: 3367 MB

The only thing I was prompted to download when running it the first time was the v1.50 trophy patch. I assumed the prior patches were already installed.

Baha

jett said:

It's 3.3 GB plus a 39MB update file. It already comes with the previous updates including the bikes.

Indeed

Just downloaded the game and played for the first time. God damn its amazing :D
Too bad you cant collect all your smashes and billboards on bikes =/

Plus the mugshot trophy sucks <.< i dont want to buy a usb camera for 100%

crispyben

Sorry for posting twice in a row, but I'm getting anxious: tonight after playing longer than usual (about 4 hours), I noticed that the bottom of my screen was taking on a bluish tint/glow while I was driving. It sometimes went away, and wasn't there at all in screens other than driving, but it came back and it's still freaking me out. Is it the game acting? Is it the (brand new) PS3 overheating? I also noticed the rear of my car disappearing in the same spot each time, on Harber between Root and Fry when eastbound... Did anybody else have this?

crispyben

Here's what it looks like:

a13dyq.jpg

Hypno Funk

I'm pretty sure that's the filter which is used on the game, it's like that on mine too, just it becomes more noticable when different colours are displayed on the screen. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. It's also visible on the top of the screen.

crispyben

Hypno Funk said:
I'm pretty sure that's the filter which is used on the game, it's like that on mine too, just it becomes more noticable when different colours are displayed on the screen. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. It's also visible on the top of the screen.
Thanks. Though it does disappear completely from time to time:

2z4b8yh.jpg

(from the same session as above, a few minutes apart)

jorma

is now taking requests
Is there any potential problem involved if i decide to download this from the US store rather than my local EU store?

EktorPR

Such an incredible game. Now that I'm playing through it again (yes, for trophies...sue me) I'm taking my sweet, sweet time with it...smashing every single billboard and fence I see and besting Road Rules over the entire city, not to mention "taking down" my new rides.

Seriously, this is the most fun racing game of '08, and one of the best I've played...ever.

Bearillusion said:
Awesome game. It's like GTA but without the annoying missions and sucky framerate.
Exactly what I was thinking.

I like how everything is so goddamn over-the-top :D... I wish GTA4 had followed the same path.

Wurm

Banned
Have started a trophy run through of the game (I know, I know) after finally getting the Burnout Drivers license (really fucking stupid that the License trophies werent programmed to stack so when you get the Burnout license youve PROBABLY GOT ALL THE OTHERS >:| )

I do like the time changing stuff, its awesome APART FROM the dead of night, because it just makes shit impossible to see and its rarely worth starting an event.

I'm also sort of hoping you dont have to do all the online freeburn shit to get the platinum :/

crispyben said:
Sorry for posting twice in a row, but I'm getting anxious: tonight after playing longer than usual (about 4 hours), I noticed that the bottom of my screen was taking on a bluish tint/glow while I was driving. It sometimes went away, and wasn't there at all in screens other than driving, but it came back and it's still freaking me out. Is it the game acting? Is it the (brand new) PS3 overheating? I also noticed the rear of my car disappearing in the same spot each time, on Harber between Root and Fry when eastbound... Did anybody else have this?
During races, the color saturation is also indicative of how damaged your car is, the worse it is, the more black and white your screen will look overall.

Dave1988

Steroyd said:
8 people meet in the baseball stadium will be dogshit.

Strangely enough, I've only just started the game I already have it. Not that hard. Now I have all the other 400 challenges to do T__T

AndyD

aka andydumi
Dave1988 said:
Strangely enough, I've only just started the game I already have it. Not that hard. Now I have all the other 400 challenges to do T__T

You dont need all for platinum. Just 10 timed challenges for a trophy and the meet 8 people in the Stadium. I think there is also one that says drive for 20 miles online... which takes all of 3 minutes.

Its actually quite easy.

Edit:
I just got my Burnout License and all the trophies are done. The timed challenges are easy to do in a 2-3 person room, you can crank them out in a half hour if someone is working with you and is a decent player.

I am so done with this game. I played the crap out of it trying to get ready pre trophies, thinking they were retroactive. Then they werent so I got Platinum. I am letting my friend borrow it for a few months, I dont even want to see it.

On that note, I did notice Atomika speaking a lot about a skating game and a snowboarding game, more than ever before... I guess its some EA cross game promotion.

Atomica was the DJ in the Tricky games (and they've hinted at a new one for awhile) so I guess that's that but Skate 2? That doesn't seem to have anything in common except for EA.

Is there a timetable for the island update? Late Nov is the last I heard but that's probably way off.

AndyD

aka andydumi
bune duggy said:
Atomica was the DJ in the Tricky games (and they've hinted at a new one for awhile) so I guess that's that but Skate 2? That doesn't seem to have anything in common except for EA.

Is there a timetable for the island update? Late Nov is the last I heard but that's probably way off.

He was? I never knew that, too busy listening to the "Tricky" song.
The island update they said is likely in the beginning of 09.

I also heard how he said Paradise used to have an airport but it sank into the ocean, I laughed.

I guess I heard him a lot more because I turned down the car sounds and only left the music turned up.

A new SSX in similar scope as Burnout would be great. I guess like the later SSXes with a few giant mountains with stops where you start events...

crispyben

AlphaTwo00 said:
During races, the color saturation is also indicative of how damaged your car is, the worse it is, the more black and white your screen will look overall.
Thanks, but that's not it... Check it out:, with and without:

a13dyq.jpg

2z4b8yh.jpg

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so i set it to always Midday but there is mist all over the town now :(

i change it to sunset and the mist gone then when i change it back to midday but after few mins the freaking mist back ( like what in sunrise ) and won't go away , is there some bug or something ?

Alidar

Neo Member
You don't need the timed challenges one for the platinum, just the freeburn ones. Basically, all the ones with the same trophy icon.

BTW, there's currently a possible bug with the gold trophy, 10 timed challenges. Bike timed challenges do count towards your total, but you ONLY get the trophy if your 10th completed challenge is in a car. I had to delete my save and try again to finish that one.

edgefusion

crispyben said:
Thanks, but that's not it... Check it out:, with and without:

It looks like a glitch to me, it's the same blue tint that you get at the top of the screen (which is meant to be like what you get in some car windscreens to reduce sun glare), but it's been reflected down to the bottom of the screen for some odd reason. I would say it's a software issue/bug and not something major to worry about. Have you tried making a new save and seeing if the problem persists?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Anyone experiencing fans kicking into high gear while playing the downloaded version on PS3? I've noticed after about 10-15 minutes of play, the PS3 gets REALLY LOUD.

I have a 250GB after-market HDD installed, FWIW. I think it's a Western Digital, but not positive.

Sorry, didn't see any responses about this (but wasn't looking super-hard).

Agent X

Totobeni said:
so i set it to always Midday but there is mist all over the town now :(

i change it to sunset and the mist gone then when i change it back to midday but after few mins the freaking mist back ( like what in sunrise ) and won't go away , is there some bug or something ?

It's simulating weather changes. There's a time of day adjustment, but unfortunately nothing yet for the weather changes.

Although I like the fog and all that, there are certain times where it would be useful to have the option to disable the changing weather conditions like there is for time of day.

Top Bottom