• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Everdred

I had the 360 version but I just bought the PSN version a minute ago. Downloading now... Add me if you want, I use a mic. PSN: Everdred

mandiller

My 360 version just had an update but it only took a few seconds, so it certainly wasn't 256MB. I can't find any retry option or anything really. Plus I can't download the latest paradise news anymore.... strange. Any idea what's going on?

r4z4

Shearie said:
The game looks quite a bit better now and I love the purpleish glow of nighttime, not to mention visibility is greatly increased. With what little I've played so far, I noticed some slight positive changes to the handling of the Carbon Uberschall 8 that I can't quite put my finger on.

I've noticed everything stands out alot more, not sure I prefer it to the old look but it sure makes driving around at high speeds MUCH easier.

EDIT: Looks like speed reductions across the board, not a bad change imo, as alot of the cars had little to choose between them before, more variety now.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Did they fix the DTS/DD5.1 thing or do you still have to deselect DD5.1 from the XMB to get DTS?

crispyben

Seems CG is getting hammered:

Network page issues with Burnout Paradise patch 1.60
Thu, 05 Feb 2009 09:57:59 GMT

We're encountering a technical issue with the in-game web page for PS3 and PC users.

If you update the game today to version 1.6, you'll experience a white screen issue relating to the pages we've created for the in-game browser. The text will read "Error. FW-1 at fefw01_ixe-lhr: Failed to connect to the WWW server".

This is currently timing out due to overwhelming demand.

On PS3, hit triangle and then "EXIT" to quit the browser and continue playing Burnout. On PC, click the button prompt in the bottom right of the screen to exit and continue playing.

We're working flat out to resolve this and will post again, when we have progress to report.

Shearie

Small annoyance I've noticed, you can't mess with the soundtrack while in an online game anymore.

And with that, I'm off to bed. With the exception of the soundtrack thing, great update.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Shearie said:
Fail an event and then go into the easy drive menu and it will be there.

So.... you can not retry a race during a race. If you say made a mistake & know you won't be able to beat the race, you have to stop & specifically wait to fail the race to get the retry option then?

i haven't played party mode properly yet cause i was by myself last night, but it certainly seems like a fun enough time. there's three different kind of events you can pick from, or you can just leave it on random. car colours are automatically assigned. you can have eight players and do anywhere from 1 to 10 rounds.

if you do multiple rounds the scoring increases. so, for example i did a five round game, and it was 250 points for a completion or the winner (some events are only pass/fail others you are rated by how fast or how far you go while meeting the challenge) for the first three rounds, then stepped up to 500 for the next two.

hoping to have a real 'party' this weekend sometime.

for anyone else with the PC version, my name is 'plagiarize' in the game. please add me! i played with some randoms last night and picked up a couple of friends. i have voice and camera.

G Rom

Not fixed unfortunately.
And thanks for the tip I didn't know DTS was still there...

My problem is that I can't connect to my EA Account and can't play online. It keep ask for my password. Anyone had this issue too ? I'm using the EU BD version.

crispyben

G Rom said:
My problem is that I can't connect to my EA Account and can't play online. It keep ask for my password. Anyone had this issue too ? I'm using the EU BD version.
No problem here, sorry. Wow, the game's really flashy now!

epmode

FTWer said:
So they caved in & included a retry option?
It's the only reason I picked up the 360 version last week.

And after unlocking the A license, I have to say THANK GOD. Maybe I'm OCD or whatever but I have this uncontrollable urge to retry the same race over and over until I finish it. Some burning routes are controller-throwing irritating when you don't know the city.

Not to mention how shitty it is to get stuck on the west side of the city after completing a race only to have to drive all the way back east to get a new event (though I don't think the patch will help with that).

jts

...hate me...
VOOK said:
Yeah small update on mine, no difference. wtf?
Not even the famous retry option?

I need that to get back to the game :/

edit: ok thanks to the above poster. Paradise City here I go again :D

Haunted

Is this the update that changes colours/car balance/retry option? Sweet! I thought this was scheduled for tomorrow on the PSN.

jorma

is now taking requests
FTWer said:
So.... you can not retry a race during a race. If you say made a mistake & know you won't be able to beat the race, you have to stop & specifically wait to fail the race to get the retry option then?

I want to know this as well - and as far as i remember you dont even get the "failed" screen when you give up a race, only if you give up on one of the other types of events. But i might be mistaken on this one i guess =)

So the Party Pack is up and it's a 100kb download. Apparently it downloads with the patch and the $9.99 you pay is for a key to unlock it. I was wondering how they would handle it if it was a download and you have the disc 1.50 and the PSN 1.50 installed at the same time.

The UI has changed quite a bit too. You can enter the store from the pause menu as well as the CG frontend. My stats didn't update in the frontend after starting the game, I wonder if you have to do something in-game first?

Mar

VOOK said:
Yeah small update on mine, no difference. wtf?

Same. The update took seconds, and there were some very slight changes. New 5 second loading screen at the start, the cars feel ever so slightly more stable. But otherwise, I'm not seeing any changes...

One thing that I did notice however, and maybe I just didn't notice it before. When you hit boost the camera draws back. I at first thought they made the cars smaller. But it's just the camera moving back when you boost.

The Party Pack is showing up on the XBL Marketplace, but when you try to download it there is an error message saying it can't be found. 800 Points.

Lince

Banned
I notice small gfx upgrades, nice. With all these free updates other companies (see Capcom, Konami) would have put another SKU in the market, thanks Criterion!

crispyben

epmode said:
Not to mention how shitty it is to get stuck on the west side of the city after completing a race only to have to drive all the way back east to get a new event (though I don't think the patch will help with that).
Tackle another event that leads you back there, that's how it was designed. There events at every crossroads.

bune duggy said:
My stats didn't update in the frontend after starting the game, I wonder if you have to do something in-game first?
Once you play, the stats will update. I got scared at first :D

epmode

crispyben said:
Tackle another event that leads you back there, that's how it was designed. There events at every crossroads.
Fuck that. There are only ~20 events on the west side and 297863529736 on the east side. That's how it was designed.

And how are you supposed to know which events lead you where without starting them at random?
jorma said:
I want to know this as well - and as far as i remember you dont even get the "failed" screen when you give up a race, only if you give up on one of the other types of events. But i might be mistaken on this one i guess =)
Good question. Can anyone confirm that you're able to use the retry option with vanilla races?

epmode said:
Fuck that. There are only ~20 events on the west side and 297863529736 on the east side. That's how it was designed.

And how are you supposed to know which events lead you where without starting them at random?Good question. Can anyone confirm that you're able to use the retry option with vanilla races?
i understand that the easy drive menu contains a 'restart last event' option. can't confirm it from work though.

crispyben

epmode said:
And how are you supposed to know which events lead you where without starting them at random?
Bring up the map.

epmode said:
Can anyone confirm that you're able to use the retry option with vanilla races?
Yep, both when you don't win and when you give up (and even when you win).

After playing for a bit, here's what I see:

- new crash cam/animations
- vibrant colors on all notices/billboards/ads/signs/road markings/vegetation/paintjobs
- improved draw distance, esp. with scenery
- fog's still here :(
- nighttime visibility OK (platinum car looks blue :p)
- new boost visual effects

crispyben said:

Once you play, the stats will update. I got scared at first :D
I played long enough before I left for work to hit a billboard, a super jump, and change my car but the stats remained. I'm sur eit'll update later, I'm not worried yet.
sankt-Antonio said:
not anymore.... ps3 online is now down the toilet for me, just read the ea disclaimer... bah
what does this mean, though?

crispyben said:
Bring up the map.

Yep, both when you don't win and when you give up (and even when you win).

After playing for a bit, here's what I see:

- new crash cam/animations
- vibrant colors on all notices/billboards/ads/signs/road markings/vegetation/paintjobs
- improved draw distance, esp. with scenery
- fog's still here :(
- nighttime visibility OK (platinum car looks blue :p)
my favourite thing is how the bright lime green cars now look bright lime green. i always went with lime green in revenge, but it was such a dull colour before. same with the hot pink mobiles.

crispyben

DMeisterJ said:
More trophies!
I'm back at 29 percent now.
But this game is so awesome.
We've actually known about them for a while, and if you compare your trophies with somebody else, you'll see even more of them, related to the upcoming vehicles. And yes, this game is awesome :D

I don't know about the EA stuff since I already did that for Mirror's Edge, so it logged in right away without me doing anything... Just had to say OK for the disclaimer.

crispyben

Returners said:
Slower cars? :( Hows the hawker, thats all I care about. :D
Not a pro racer or anything, and hadn't played in a while, but it feels the same to me. I'm sure others will nitpick to their hearts' content, though.

Returners said:
Argh, I should've popped the game in this morning before work.

Slower cars? :( Hows the hawker, thats all I care about. :D
Hi5 on Hawker.

I do believe that the entry level cars are now slower (harder to crash), but top end hasn't changed.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
bune duggy said:
Iwhat does this mean, though?

that i dont want to give ea my email adress and my name, because not only will it be saved on ea servers they also have the right to give this infos to other companys --- a shit you know what i want to tell you...

oh and the games much slower now - and i think they added new signs
(the ones you destroy)

Top Bottom