• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Received a used Sigma 30mm 1.8 late last week and have been toying with it all weekend. It's a joy now to shoot with available light.

4436764508_5e58162b57.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Kadey said:
Got it. Love it. The built in panorama thing is cool. :D
Sweet, glad to hear it's working out for you.

Good to know that the panorama feature works out okay in real world usage. It's a complicated procedure when done in Photoshop, and it's amazing to me that we can get this feature now in camera.

scorcho said:
Received a used Sigma 30mm 1.8 late last week and have been toying with it all weekend. It's a joy now to shoot with available light.
You mean the 30mmm 1.4? I don't think they make a 1.8. I have that lens too, and it's pretty great (although I had to get it manually aligned with my camera due to back focus issues).

Instigator said:
To be fair, the technology has been there for years. Nothing stopped other manufacturers from doing it before.

They even had a taste of things to come when Panasonic had its G1 in 2008 and Olympus had a mock-up of the E-P1(a year before it was actually released) around the same time. Other manufacturers like Sony could have responded by 2009.

It looks like companies like Sony waited to see if their competitors were going to be succesful with it, which is strange since you expect such a company like Sony to do market research and to have identified such a need among consumers.

But yeah, they're playing catch up. :)

Well Sony has been quite reactionary as a company lately (see the Move Vaio netbooks, Erricson touchscreen phones, etc), but I'm hoping their entries into this market push Panasonic and Olympus (especially) to put out some better lenses in the micro 4/3 sphere.

VNZ

I'm still looking for the "perfect digital darkroom". Been trying out the trial of Aperture 3, and it has some really good adjustments option but it's lacking in speed and the noise reduction is quite useless. I was thinking that it all was between Aperture and Lightroom (and I'm very curious to see the full LR3 featureset), but then I heard about Bibble Pro. Anyone using that here? It has some seducing features, like built-in "Noise Ninja" NR (supposedly one of the best NR technologies) and barrel/pincussion correction. I'll probably give the trial a spin soon enough, but it would be interesting to hear any impressions of it, or any other competing app.

Chorazin

VNZ said:
I'm still looking for the "perfect digital darkroom". Been trying out the trial of Aperture 3, and it has some really good adjustments option but it's lacking in speed and the noise reduction is quite useless. I was thinking that it all was between Aperture and Lightroom (and I'm very curious to see the full LR3 featureset), but then I heard about Bibble Pro. Anyone using that here? It has some seducing features, like built-in "Noise Ninja" NR (supposedly one of the best NR technologies) and barrel/pincussion correction. I'll probably give the trial a spin soon enough, but it would be interesting to hear any impressions of it, or any other competing app.

You can actually obtain a standalone version of Noise Ninja now, so if you like everything in Aperture 3 except for noise reduction, you could always add that to your workflow.

Eventually we'll see a 64-bit Noise Ninja plug in for Aperture 3, I hope.

scorcho

Rentahamster said:
You mean the 30mmm 1.4? I don't think they make a 1.8. I have that lens too, and it's pretty great (although I had to get it manually aligned with my camera due to back focus issues).
you're right! it's a 1.4, and it does seem to have a slight focus issue, but from what i've read on various forums it is near impossible to correct for lenses on the four thirds mount. still, enjoying it greatly.

VNZ

Chorazin said:
You can actually obtain a standalone version of Noise Ninja now, so if you like everything in Aperture 3 except for noise reduction, you could always add that to your workflow.

Eventually we'll see a 64-bit Noise Ninja plug in for Aperture 3, I hope.
I am right in suspecting that adding NR with an external app will force me to develop and export my photos inside the app I'm using, and then running them through noise reduction? If true it's not really a viable solution since it would not only waste a lot of time, but disk space as well.

Also, noise reduction isn't a huge concern of mine, but I want at least decent reduction of the chroma noise right inside the RAW converter.

scorcho

i love the chroma noise reduction in the LR3 beta. am eager to see how the final version handles luma noise.

olbareun

I just got the super takumar 50mm and man.. these things feel sturdy! I ended up getting the 50mm rather than the 135 that BlueTsunami was recommending as I had plans to get the 70-200 f4.

Only problem with the lens is that keh did not provide a rear/front cover so I'll likely order these separately off amazon.

Going to play around with the lens when I get home from work!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
mrnorush said:
I just got the super takumar 50mm and man.. these things feel sturdy! I ended up getting the 50mm rather than the 135 that BlueTsunami was recommending as I had plans to get the 70-200 f4.

Only problem with the lens is that keh did not provide a rear/front cover so I'll likely order these separately off amazon.

Going to play around with the lens when I get home from work!

Noiceeee

Which 50mm (f/1.4 f/1.8 f/2?). I'll probably end up getting a MF 50mm at some point too (you can get a f/1.2 on the cheap).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
VNZ said:
I am right in suspecting that adding NR with an external app will force me to develop and export my photos inside the app I'm using, and then running them through noise reduction? If true it's not really a viable
Yeah, I don't even bother with third party noise reduction as part of my workflow anymore. It's just not worth it.

olbareun

BlueTsunami said:
Noiceeee

Which 50mm (f/1.4 f/1.8 f/2?). I'll probably end up getting a MF 50mm at some point too (you can get a f/1.2 on the cheap).

I got the 1.4 of non-SMC (just Super Takumar) Is the 1.2 version pretty cheap too? I didn't see it keh and I really don't know where I would look for these m42 lens. ebay?

BlueTsunami

mrnorush said:
I got the 1.4 of non-SMC (just Super Takumar) Is the 1.2 version pretty cheap too? I didn't see it keh and I really don't know where I would look for these m42 lens. ebay?

Nice grab then on the 1.4, its pretty much universally loved

I'm not sure if they make a f/1.2 M42 version, it might be on Pentax's other mount. I know Olympus makes one thats supposed to render very nice but the amount it costs escapes me. There's also the Nikon AI-s 50/1.2 (thats still be manufactured, I believe and can be adapted to Canon) that goes for around $300. Guess it is a lot thinking about it now but in contrast to Canon's 50/1.2, still pretty cheap!

rass

yesssss!
I'm getting a 16-35 f/2.8L II tomorrow morning! (second hand/refurb) Then off to New Zealand for a month to harass the natural beauty! Party.

also, the last few posts talking about the m42 pentax gear has me keen to try out some older 50's - currently using a canon 50 1.8 II (plastic) and have a nikon 50 1.8 with a super smooth focusing action on my nikon FG, can I get a mount to put that on my 5d? I'm not too familiar with mounting alternate lenses and searching ebay is a frikkin minefield.

I am so damn excited to be getting a wide angle! haha.

mrkgoo

iam.rass said:
yesssss!
I'm getting a 16-35 f/2.8L II tomorrow morning! (second hand/refurb) Then off to New Zealand for a month to harass the natural beauty! Party.

also, the last few posts talking about the m42 pentax gear has me keen to try out some older 50's - currently using a canon 50 1.8 II (plastic) and have a nikon 50 1.8 with a super smooth focusing action on my nikon FG, can I get a mount to put that on my 5d? I'm not too familiar with mounting alternate lenses and searching ebay is a frikkin minefield.

Wow, where you off to and for what reason?

I was going to suggest you sell the lens while in New Zealand - you could probably make a profit! But the lens is cool. How much did you get it for?

rass

mrkgoo said:
Wow, where you off to and for what reason?

I was going to suggest you sell the lens while in New Zealand - you could probably make a profit! But the lens is cool. How much did you get it for?

Going to drive around the southern half of the North island for about 10 days visiting some family, going up as high as Rotorua, then over to the South island and just drive around chcking out the sights for 18 days.
"I'm half Kiwi so I should visit my grandma" is the basic premise for the trip - my girlfriend has always wanted to go and I've been saying I'd take her for nearly 3 years haha. And it's so close to us (Melbourne, Aus) too.

I got it for AU$1400 with the balance of a 5 year MACK warranty (4 years left)
If i don't like it I'll sell it when I get back, will easily get my cash back

mrkgoo

iam.rass said:
Going to drive around the southern half of the North island for about 10 days visiting some family, going up as high as Rotorua, then over to the South island and just drive around chcking out the sights for 18 days.
"I'm half Kiwi so I should visit my grandma" is the basic premise for the trip - my girlfriend has always wanted to go and I've been saying I'd take her for nearly 3 years haha. And it's so close to us (Melbourne, Aus) too.

I got it for AU$1400 with the balance of a 5 year MACK warranty (4 years left)
If i don't like it I'll sell it when I get back, will easily get my cash back

Sweet! The South Island is awesome for some photography. Have good one!

BlueTsunami

iam.rass said:
yesssss!

All you would need is an M42 to EOS adapter. Here a link to the Fotodiox adapter that I'm using....

http://www.fotodiox.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=124

Chairhome

This could possibly be a very dumb question. I have a couple Quantaray QB-350A's that I bought at a Ritz closing a few months ago. I thought there was a way to remotely trigger these using another flash without any additional equipment, and I swear I've done it with a P&S, but I couldn't for the life of me get it to work last weekend when I was messing with my equipment. Anybody familiar with the QB-350A?

rage1973

So I am thinking of buying the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM lens. But Canon has released the II version of this lens recently. Does this mean the older version is going down in price and should I wait couple of months before buying it?

BlueTsunami

rage1973 said:
So I am thinking of buying the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM lens. But Canon has released the II version of this lens recently. Does this mean the older version is going down in price and should I wait couple of months before buying it?

You may start seeing people unload their old 70-200/2.8 IS but I'm not sure you'll see a large slashing of its value over what its being sold now. Generally these higher class lenses hold their value very well. As far as retail, if they discontinue manufacturing the Mark I version, as they become more scarce you may see them increase in price a bit (I've seen it happen to the 135L when there was a shortage of them). The weird situation Canon created in this scenario is that they've replaced the older version with a new version that costs $1000 more.

Whoo, went and picked up a Canon 50mm f/1.8 on my lunch break today. Can't wait to get home and try it.

The salesguy at the store tried to sell me on a Promaster Digital UV filter for $40. Can anyone recommend a decent alternative that is less expensive?

Fireye

JLateralus said:
Whoo, went and picked up a Canon 50mm f/1.8 on my lunch break today. Can't wait to get home and try it.

The salesguy at the store tried to sell me on a Promaster Digital UV filter for $40. Can anyone recommend a decent alternative that is less expensive?

I think most people use UV filters as a general "protect the lens surface" filter, though I could be wrong. Depending on your shooting needs, you can do just fine with a regular UV filter (like this one), but if you're dealing with close-quarters lighting, you might run in to ghosting issues caused by reflections on the UV filter. If you're concerned about that, pick up a mutli-coated filter (like this one). If you can take good care of your lens, and aren't too worries about cleaning the lens surface if dirt gets on it, then you don't really need a UV filter IMO.

I'd suggest picking up a good quality circular polariser filter too, it can make a huge difference in some situations.

BlueTsunami

I've posted this before but I'm a total believer of using a Lens hood instead of a UV Filter. You get the added benefit of reducing lens flare even more (and veiling flare which reduces the contrast of an image). You can find cheap ones on ebay, just make sure you get the right diameter and right size for the focal length (too long a hood for a lens that zooms to real wide will have vignetting).

mrkgoo

JLateralus said:

A decent alternative costs zero.

Nothing.

Not for a kit lens or 50mm f/1.8. Why pay a third the cost of the lens itself to degrade the image quality?

Unless you buy an expensive filter, you run the chance of degrading contrast, introducing flare, degrading sharpness.

I use expensive multicoated UV filters (my UV filters probably cost more than the 50mm f/1.8 :/ )only because I want to complete the weather-sealing on some of my wide-angle lenses, otherwise the most I ever use to protect my lenses are hoods or the lens cap. And common sense.

mrkgoo

Rentahamster said:
Don't even bother. For a lens that cheap, it's not worth it. Just don't use it in a sandstorm.

If I were to go photographing in a sandstorm, I probably would take that lens. It's so damned cheap! It's nearly disposable.

Gotcha. That's why I was asking... it didn't seem to make any sense. Why would I spend $40 when I just paid $100 for the lens? :lol

The 50mm is much better than the kit lens! This is starting to get addicting though. :D

mrkgoo

JLateralus said:
Gotcha. That's why I was asking... it didn't seem to make any sense. Why would I spend $40 when I just paid $100 for the lens? :lol

The 50mm is much better than the kit lens! This is starting to get addicting though. :D

Once bitten by the shutterbug, there is no going back!

Thousands of dollars later... Well, I'd hope you'd be much better than me!

zhenming

Zyzyxxz said:
I really want a wide angle for my Nikon.

Any recommendations? Don't wanna spend more than $600 if I can.
how wide? what will you be using it for? Nikons 12-24 is selling for lower than 600 in some places. theres also the nikon 10-24 which is wider and around the same price. or you can get the third parties, which i dont really trust.

Zyzyxxz

zhenming said:
how wide? what will you be using it for? Nikons 12-24 is selling for lower than 600 in some places. theres also the nikon 10-24 which is wider and around the same price. or you can get the third parties, which i dont really trust.

Never seen it that cheap, always see it around 800+

mrkgoo

Yay! Just got a new T1i, plus kit lens, plus EF-S 60mm Macro for lab work.

New cameras are always fun. I forgot how small this range is. But man, the T1i screen is huge for the body!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
mrkgoo said:
Yay! Just got a new T1i, plus kit lens, plus EF-S 60mm Macro for lab work.

New cameras are always fun. I forgot how small this range is. But man, the T1i screen is huge for the body!
can you buy me some lenses, plz k thnx.

mrkgoo

captive said:
can you buy me some lenses, plz k thnx.
:lol

Well work paid for it. There was money that HAD to be spent by a few weeks or we lose it. I suggested we get an imaging system set up. I was given a budget to get what I wanted. Actually a t1i is pretty overkill resoltuion wise, but we do need a specific set up. I'll probably be setting it to the lowest resolution, but we ha to spend the money. I wouldve gotten a t2i, but they weren't in stock. What's better than buying camera gear? Buying camera gear on someone else's dime!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
mrkgoo said:
:lol

Well work paid for it. There was money that HAD to be spent by a few weeks or we lose it. I suggested we get an imaging system set up. I was given a budget to get what I wanted. Actually a t1i is pretty overkill resoltuion wise, but we do need a specific set up. I'll probably be setting it to the lowest resolution, but we ha to spend the money. I wouldve gotten a t2i, but they weren't in stock. What's better than buying camera gear? Buying camera gear on someone else's dime!
:lol nice.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
D90 + 70-300 VR lens combo deal

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/320...SLR-Camera-Body---Nikon-70-300mm-VR-Lens-1089
Amazon has Nikon D90 12.3MP Digital SLR Camera (Body) + Nikon 70-300mm VR Lens for $1089 with free shipping after adding both to cart and applying coupon code 7O3OOMAR. Next lowest on Google Products for similar combo is $1240. Thank you deeds

Note, please make sure you add the lens sold by Amazon, otherwise the discount will not work.

Not bad, you get a $200 discount.

It's a lot cheaper than the other D90+70-300mm combo deals, like this one: http://www.adorama.com/INKD9070.html?sid=12693279291176171

As far as variable aperture zoom lenses go, I really like the 70-300mm. I prefer it over the 18-200mm lens since it has better image quality. (I own both of them). I usually use the 70-200mm f2.8 II lens instead, but then again, that lens costs 2 grand.

The 70-300mm is pretty decent for the price. This would be a good combo for someone looking to get a camera who needs a zoom anyway.

Other than that, I probably wouldn't recommend this particular combo, since a D5000 + 35mm f1.8, or a Rebel + 50mm f1.8 would be better for newbies.

Hi guys, I was just curious about what camera bags you guys use. I could use some recommendations.

I'm getting a T2i (my first DSLR) this week and I don't have any specific bags in mind yet. I don't know if I want an over the shoulder bag, a backpack, or both so I have a choice for different occasions. I would prefer something discreet but all suggestions are appreciated. I'll probably go to some shops tomorrow for ideas.

Zyzyxxz said:
I really want a wide angle for my Nikon.

Any recommendations? Don't wanna spend more than $600 if I can.

I picked up the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. I checked out a number of sites/reviews first and the consensus was that it is a superb lens for the price. Not a lot of range but it woks for me since it's paired w/ my 16-85.

Chorazin

Any day is a good day when you order new camera equipment!

I ordered a battery pack grip for my D90 which adds a ton of the pro-level Nikon portrait position features: a grip, shutter release, main & sub command dials and AF-lock along with a second battery slot. I got the Zeikos version because all the reviews I read said it was just as good as the official Nikon version for $100 less!

I also ordered a second battery, a Joby Gorillapod DSLR tripod, and a Lowepro water bottle attachment for my camera bag.

Not a moment to soon as I am leaving for PAX East on Thursday, and again I am thankful for Amazon Prime because it'll all be at my house when I get home from work tomorrow.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
DIrtyWeasel said:
Hi guys, I was just curious about what camera bags you guys use. I could use some recommendations.

I would prefer something discreet but all suggestions are appreciated. I'll probably go to some shops tomorrow for ideas.
Crumpler bag.

mrkgoo

DIrtyWeasel said:

I'm getting a T2i (my first DSLR) this week and I don't have any specific bags in mind yet. I don't know if I want an over the shoulder bag, a backpack, or both so I have a choice for different occasions. I would prefer something discreet but all suggestions are appreciated. I'll probably go to some shops tomorrow for ideas.

I have several bags.

A Crumpler 2 million dollar home: Good for a rebel-sized camera plus one small lens.
A Crumpler 6 million dollar home: Good for any SLR plus larger lens, and maybe another lens plus accessories.
A Crumpler Sail barge or something: Backpack that holds a 15" Laptop, plus a single SLR and a lens.

I also use a standard school backpack, which I sometimes shove the padding from the Sail barge into.

And a Lowepeowe Alpine100 or something shoulder bag (the one made from recycled PET bottles), which basically has no padding, and can hold an SLR with a moderate sized lens plus maybe an extra lens.

They all have their uses, and they all look fairly non-camera bag-like. My favourite at the moment is the Loweprowe shoulder bag, as it's light and let's me carry just my camera. I know not many people like it since it has no padding, but cameras tend to be a to tougher than people give credit for.

I like Crumpler stuff, as you can see.

DIrtyWeasel said:

I recently purchased the Domke F-6. I like the weathered look (waxwear model) and it's pretty discreet looking.
4427761896_da66d2cc85.jpg

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Just got this lens right here. cheap, but the clarity so far has been really stellar. Digging it.

olympus-35mm-f3.5-macro-lens-lrg.jpg

Yeah, not a true macro, but it was dirty cheap and it is really nice glass for the cost.

Example pics incoming. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom