• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official E-Cigarette Thread Of F#ck Analog Cigarettes

daw840

Look what showed up in the mail... (Cell phone pic sorry)

tile

So you can't change the carto/atty/clearo on that thing? It's all just one piece?

DaFish

So you can't change the carto/atty/clearo on that thing? It's all just one piece?

Yes its one piece (well two the top cap comes off to expose the wick). It is a genesis style atomizer. A stainless steel wick is placed down a hole into the tank and you wrap coils around the wick. Its a Rebuildable device, never have to buy a carto/clearo/atty again. Just stainless steel mesh and wire.

Edit: Here is the Zenesis with the cap off exposing the wick and coil

zen_ash_coil.jpg

Yes its one piece (well two the top cap comes off to expose the wick). It is a genesis style atomizer. A stainless steel wick is placed down a hole into the tank and you wrap coils around the wick. Its a Rebuildable device, never have to buy a carto/clearo/atty again. Just stainless steel mesh and wire.

Edit: Here is the Zenesis with the cap off exposing the wick and coil

I've always been interested in these (The Z atty pro mostly), but I've always wondered where you're supposed to buy new mesh and wire. Does anyone sell pre-packaged kinds, or do you have to buy generic stuff and take a blowtorch to it? Which is what I've seen in most of the guides.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So... hey everyone! I'm thinking of getting my dad and his partner two e-cigs for Christmas, because I'm concerned about his health and I've wanted him to stop forever, but he never listens... mostly because his partner is a heavy smoker too and he's then tempted to smoke too. I'm hoping if I give them, or at least him, an e-cigarette, they'll at least use it sometime, which is still healthier.

Any recommendations? I see the "good e-cigs for first time users" in the OP, are those up to date? :) Any personal recommendations? How hard is it to find refill-"bottles" in Europe? I live in North America and would buy it here, but then he lives in Europe and would have to refill it there, so that's a factor...

Are there different flavours you can buy? Thinking of just getting them sth like a "starter kit" with 2 e-cigs, a couple differently flavoured liquid "bottles" (what are they called?) and stuff.

DaFish

I've always been interested in these (The Z atty pro mostly), but I've always wondered where you're supposed to buy new mesh and wire. Does anyone sell pre-packaged kinds, or do you have to buy generic stuff and take a blowtorch to it? Which is what I've seen in most of the guides.

Creating wick from "scratch" is actually easy and the cheapest way. You can buy pre-made wick though.

http://www.electronicstix.com/colle...ccessories/products/400-x-400-pre-rolled-wick (looks like these ones have to still be Oxidized, Im sure I could find some pre-oxidized if you really wanted to know)

The Zenesis (and Z-Atty Pro) come with 10 pre rolled and pre oxidized wicks.

Keep in mind these SS wicks can last up to several months without having to be replaced.

So... hey everyone! I'm thinking of getting my dad and his partner two e-cigs for Christmas, because I'm concerned about his health and I've wanted him to stop forever, but he never listens... mostly because his partner is a heavy smoker too and he's then tempted to smoke too. I'm hoping if I give them, or at least him, an e-cigarette, they'll at least use it sometime, which is still healthier.

Any recommendations? I see the "good e-cigs for first time users" in the OP, are those up to date? :) Any personal recommendations? How hard is it to find refill-"bottles" in Europe? I live in North America and would buy it here, but then he lives in Europe and would have to refill it there, so that's a factor...

Are there different flavours you can buy? Thinking of just getting them sth like a "starter kit" with 2 e-cigs, a couple differently flavoured liquid "bottles" (what are they called?) and stuff.

Yeah go for one of the starter kits from the OP, The kicker for your Dad will be if you can find a juice he will enjoy so he sticks with it.

Smiley90

Creating wick from "scratch" is actually easy and the cheapest way. You can buy pre-made wick though.

http://www.electronicstix.com/colle...ccessories/products/400-x-400-pre-rolled-wick

Keep in mind these SS wicks can last up to several months without having to be replaced.

Yeah go for one of the starter kits from the OP, The kicker for your Dad will be if you can find a juice he will enjoy so he sticks with it.

That's pretty much what I'm hoping for. I've been telling him for like 10 years to stop, but it's hard to do from overseas. :p So I'm essentially throwing stuff at him and see what sticks. Hopefully e-cigs will! Now just hoping the refills are available back home, or for which ones they are. Are they the same for all brands? I just need some that I can buy over here and that he can refill back in Europe.

DaFish

That's pretty much what I'm hoping for. I've been telling him for like 10 years to stop, but it's hard to do from overseas. :p So I'm essentially throwing stuff at him and see what sticks. Hopefully e-cigs will! Now just hoping the refills are available back home, or for which ones they are. Are they the same for all brands? I just need some that I can buy over here and that he can refill back in Europe.

You would want to buy the juice in a bottle and refill your/himself rather then the pre-filled stuff. Lots to choose from and lots of shop overseas so that should not be an issue.

Smiley90

You would want to buy the juice in a bottle and refill your/himself rather then the pre-filled stuff. Lots to choose from and lots of shop overseas so that should not be an issue.

oooh k cool, wasn't sure how it worked. That sounds good, thanks! What are some of everyone's favourite flavours? I wanna get an assortment and hope he likes at least one of them enough to stick with it :lol.

DaFish

oooh k cool, wasn't sure how it worked. That sounds good, thanks! What are some of everyone's favourite flavours? I wanna get an assortment and hope he likes at least one of them enough to stick with it :lol.

Well if he is a smoker, he will prolly be partial to tobacco flavored. I'v yet to try it but Bobas Bounty is a slightly sweet tobacco flavor (from what I understand), And possibly some sort of fruity flavor just so he gets the idea that you can vape a large range of flavors in these things.

Most sites offer "Sample Packs". May be the way to go.

Smiley90

Well if he is a smoker, he will prolly be partial to tobacco flavored. I'v yet to try it but Bobas Bounty is a slightly sweet tobacco flavor (from what I understand), And possibly some sort of fruity flavor just so he gets the idea that you can vape a large range of flavors in these things.

Most sites offer "Sample Packs". May be the way to go.

That sounds perfect. Thanks a lot! I'll check out the retailers in the OP for places that deliver in/to Canada.

Try Blend 4 please? For me? :p

In 3 years vaping its the best flavor ive come across. In fact heres my holy trinity:

Blend 4 via AVE
Sweet Caroline via iVape.net
Malty Toffee via Backwoods Brew

And I found a new flavor (for me) that is the best RY4 inspired juice ive ever had - Heavenly Tobacco by Heathers Heavenly Vapes.

You know, I've only had a RY1 that a vendor threw in free and I didn't care much for it -- then I hear folks say that RY4 is too sweet for them, but the description sounds like something I'd dig, so I'll definitely try it from AVE. (Side note: AVE did contact me, albeit a week later, and offered resolution for my ordering debacle, so thumbs up for them)

How are you liking the other Heather's HV flavors? I really dug the Blade Runner (mint/vanilla) and Gandalf, the latter in particular was a slow burn. It started out good, and now, 3 weeks later, is great to me. I'd like to try Shadowfox, Serendipity, Sinful Pear/Apple, and Georgia Peach Tobacco.

Backwoods Brew is another vendor I'd like to try, in particular the Malty Toffee you listed.

Broseybrose

You know, I've only had a RY1 that a vendor threw in free and I didn't care much for it -- then I hear folks say that RY4 is too sweet for them, but the description sounds like something I'd dig, so I'll definitely try it from AVE. (Side note: AVE did contact me, albeit a week later, and offered resolution for my ordering debacle, so thumbs up for them)

How are you liking the other Heather's HV flavors? I really dug the Blade Runner (mint/vanilla) and Gandalf, the latter in particular was a slow burn. It started out good, and now, 3 weeks later, is great to me. I'd like to try Shadowfox, Serendipity, Sinful Pear/Apple, and Georgia Peach Tobacco.

Backwoods Brew is another vendor I'd like to try, in particular the Malty Toffee you listed.

Well, Blend 4 doesnt taste ANYTHING like an RY4 to me. Theres really nothing caramel vanilla or nutty about it. Its way better than any RY4. Such a vibrant and fresh tobacco flavor.

Heavenly Tobacco, however, does taste like an RY4 should. Tobacco, Vanilla, Caramel, and a sweet Hazelnut aftertone on exhale. Soooo Good.

I ordered a 4pc sampler from HHH and theyre still steeping, but I dunno. The 30ml of Heavenly Tob is fantastic and i will rebuy. But i got Dark Horse, GA Peach Tob, Gandalf, and Pirate's Booty in my sampler and the only one i like so far is Dark Horse. Though, i dont much like fruity flavors so i shoulda known better on the peach tob. Maybe once they steep some more...

Im also on the waiting list. Its been out of stock for a few weeks already so i expect it will be very soon.

However, in the meantime i picked up a 5pc of these VOLT CE3s and a 510/901 thread adapter (unfortunately the VOLTs are 901 threaded and not KGO/510), and theyre just as good as / identical to the Phoenix. I kinda like em a little more? Maybe because theyre brand new and ive been using the Phoenixes for weeks and theyre starting to wear out? And the adapter is not a factor at all. Its all thread and super tiny.

Thats if ya dont feel like waiting.

Good news is that the Phoenix are back in stock at GotVapes.com as of this morning. Go go go!

I did end up picking up a pack of the volt CE3s in the short term though and you're right, they're great. Almost as good as dripping and way more convenient for my commute (don't drip and drive, folks...)

TheExodu5

Banned
Which Phoenix should I get for the eGO on GotVapes? Some say PHOENIX REBORN, some don't. Some say for 510, some say for 808.

Broseybrose

Good news is that the Phoenix are back in stock at GotVapes.com as of this morning. Go go go!

I did end up picking up a pack of the volt CE3s in the short term though and you're right, they're great. Almost as good as dripping and way more convenient for my commute (don't drip and drive, folks...)

Glad to hear it!

http://www.electronicstix.com/colle...ccessories/products/400-x-400-pre-rolled-wick (looks like these ones have to still be Oxidized, Im sure I could find some pre-oxidized if you really wanted to know)

I would really like to buy pre oxidized wicks as..I just can't see me and a blowtorch working together well. If it's not possible to buy them, that link is a start, anyway. Thanks.

Made my first SS wick for the Vivi Nova today. It's going to take a few tries to master, I think I burnt the wick either during oxidizing or when firing to test the coils were working but it's only a hint of burnt flavour, maybe it'll go with time. That aside, even with that slight hiccup I can instantly tell that the taste is much cleaner and crisp, the flavour more pronounced and vapour production is fantastic.

DaFish

Made my first SS wick for the Vivi Nova today. It's going to take a few tries to master, I think I burnt the wick either during oxidizing or when firing to test the coils were working but it's only a hint of burnt flavour, maybe it'll go with time. That aside, even with that slight hiccup I can instantly tell that the taste is much cleaner and crisp, the flavour more pronounced and vapour production is fantastic.
Im enjoying it as well, that flavor will go away and it will be a clean and crisp from then on.

DaFish

Its full of stars... (Pluid)

zenandpluid.jpg

So far Im only using these cheapo blue batteries from my lavatube, but my god this thing is amazing so far... wow

With marijuana legalization laws being passed in a few states, anyone tried using e-cigarettes for anything other than tobacco (or flavor) and mix a bit of weed in it? If so, how does some vaporizers mentioned here (Zenesis or Pluid or eGo) differ from vaporizers like MFLB? Am I mistaking a thing or two? (They look more liquid than solid substances :p)

DaFish

With marijuana legalization laws being passed in a few states, anyone tried using e-cigarettes for anything other than tobacco (or flavor) and mix a bit of weed in it? If so, how does some vaporizers mentioned here (Zenesis or Pluid or eGo) differ from vaporizers like MFLB? Am I mistaking a thing or two? (They look more liquid than solid substances :p)

what is MFLB?

People do use Hash Oil in these things.

edit: Zenesis is the name of the device pictured above and Pluid is the name of the green juice inside.

Jack_AG

Banned
Gonna order the 510-T starter kit from mtbakervapor. Waiting until Monday to see if any cyber deals pop up.

If I wind up liking vaping i'll upgrade the battery to an ego-style twist or just go huge. The OP has some info but I need to read more on components, maintenance, etc. There's a lot of links but the "best" info is just another forum without a collective spot that breaks down and explains everything in basic detail. Clearos, tanks, wicking, etc. I'm lost right now so a starter kit is my best bet until I learn more.

Anyone have any links to nice Vanilla/Chocolate flavors? Stores have a lot to choose from but i'm curious as to which is best.

Im enjoying it as well, that flavor will go away and it will be a clean and crisp from then on.

Yeah, the burnt taste has gone now :) Also just found that I can go all the way to 4.8 volts on my twist and it still tastes fine. It definitely seems to be able to take the heat a lot better than a normal wick, for obvious reasons.

This is the best chocolate flavor I've come across so far. http://www.heathersheavenlyvapes.com/store3/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=4

The easiest thing in the world to me that's pretty cheap is the Vivi Nova. http://www.gotvapes.com/index.php?m...id=740&zenid=615655e5369a7a6e2f3365f7bd6a642a

It's a lot easier to fill up for me since all you have to do is screw off the cap and pour your juice in. Carto tanks are good too but they need a bit more maintenance. It also has a mini version if the size puts you off. Good luck!

DaFish

Yeah, the burnt taste has gone now :) Also just found that I can go all the way to 4.8 volts on my twist and it still tastes fine. It definitely seems to be able to take the heat a lot better than a normal wick, for obvious reasons.

Very nice, what Ohms did your wrap come out to be?

Pete Rock

Thermo Essence Technologies

T1 was the greatest line of portable vapes so far and they have been retired. Cera is poised to dominate the market - effectively it is going to be a portable Volcano, convection vs conduction.

Flower vs concentrates is a different discussion. There are literally dozens of re-branded chinese e-cigs being dumped onto the concentrate marketplace. You can buy an ego-w kit for $30 and literally the exact same product with a different marketing scheme is $120 for concentrates.

My experience with the T1 line focused on concentrates brought me to their atomizer line, which allowed me to quit smoking, which brought me to this thread. After having such a positive experience with their products and such a negative experience with others, I'd say to be very mindful of the material construction and air pathway if you are considering a device for any "alternative" application.

Although to be fair, I was never particularly interested in vaping off fiberglass, glass rope, lead-based solder construction, plastic shells & tapes, etc. Seems like trading one set of ills for another.

They did an AMA yesterday - support USA manufacturing, keep them in mind if you are in this market.

DaFish

It tastes just as good at 4.2. Guess that'll save me some battery and probably prolong its life a bit too! Got some Jack The Ripple (Rasberry ripple) and VampVape (caramel and coconut) coming tomorrow too. Which to put in first...

How is the vapor production compared to the nylon wick? I usually use the 2.8 head on the Vivi Nova but my coil yielded 2.1. I noticed some slight vapor loss. But nothing to worry about.

Maybe I should try and wrap a 2.6-2.8 and see what happends

I've mostly vaped with a 2.8 head with a nylon wick. This 2.6 SS seems comparable, but I was surprised by the amount of vapour the Nova produced anyway. The higher voltage is probably helping vapour production. I might try a hybrid wick next.

Broseybrose

Gonna order the 510-T starter kit from mtbakervapor. Waiting until Monday to see if any cyber deals pop up.

If I wind up liking vaping i'll upgrade the battery to an ego-style twist or just go huge. The OP has some info but I need to read more on components, maintenance, etc. There's a lot of links but the "best" info is just another forum without a collective spot that breaks down and explains everything in basic detail. Clearos, tanks, wicking, etc. I'm lost right now so a starter kit is my best bet until I learn more.

Anyone have any links to nice Vanilla/Chocolate flavors? Stores have a lot to choose from but i'm curious as to which is best.

Ahlusion is a very popular new-ish juice site i would like to recommend to GAF as a whole. They have BLOWN UP on the ECF forums, which is the main discussion hub for the vape community.

They use their own Naturally Extracted Tobacco, and are known in particular for their unique variety of tea flavors, among the standard tobacco and sweet flavors. Though most would say that theres nothing "standard" about them.

TheExodu5

Banned
Pretty disappointed with the CE3. First one was DOA. Second one I filled with 30/70PG and it seems alright, but I can't say that the flavor is any better than the Vivi Nova. It's better than a half-full Vivi Nova, but the full Vivi Nova gives me a richer flavor with less throat hit. The third I filled with half 30/70PG and 100VG, and I don't think it's wicking it. I'm getting a hugely burnt flavor from it, and I don't think it's going away... On both of them, the wicks turned black. Is that normal?

With the second one, I dripped some drops down the center post before I realized that wasn't the filling hole. Maybe that helped it in wicking faster? Maybe I should have waited 5-10 minutes before vaping the other one?

TheExodu5

Banned
4th CE3. Let it sit for a while. Was okay for a few minutes, and now it tastes burnt. Only with 30/70PG this time. I guess these things really don't like chain vaping?

Regretting ordering a second set of these now. Don't think they're for me.

Well, one of them is working properly at least. No issues with that one. And the flavor is certainly cleaner than my currently 1/3rd full Vivi Nova. The Vivi Nova occasionally does give off a slightly burnt taste if it's not wicking enough, but at least when it does it's only for 1 hit, and then it goes back to normal. If the CE3 fails to wick and gives off the burnt flavor even once, it's finished. Don't like that at all.

DaFish

4th CE3. Let it sit for a while. Was okay for a few minutes, and now it tastes burnt. Only with 30/70PG this time. I guess these things really don't like chain vaping?

Regretting ordering a second set of these now. Don't think they're for me.

Well, one of them is working properly at least. No issues with that one. And the flavor is certainly cleaner than my currently 1/3rd full Vivi Nova. The Vivi Nova occasionally does give off a slightly burnt taste if it's not wicking enough, but at least when it does it's only for 1 hit, and then it goes back to normal. If the CE3 fails to wick and gives off the burnt flavor even once, it's finished. Don't like that at all.

You need to give a stainless steel mesh wick on the vivi nova a try.

TheExodu5

Banned
You need to give a stainless steel mesh wick on the vivi nova a try.

I really do. I'm really noticing the burnt flavor from the Vivi Nova when compared to my one working CE3 right now (though my Nova is only 1/4 full, which doesn't help). Where do I buy the stainless wicks? Do I need to coil them myself, or are there premade ones?

DaFish

I really do. I'm really noticing the burnt flavor from the Vivi Nova when compared to my one working CE3 right now (though my Nova is only 1/4 full, which doesn't help). Where do I buy the stainless wicks? Do I need to coil them myself, or are there premade ones?

From a few posts up, you will also need 32 gauge kanthal

If you did want to make your own there are sources for raw materials if you want, just let me know.

Ahlusion is a very popular new-ish juice site i would like to recommend to GAF as a whole. They have BLOWN UP on the ECF forums, which is the main discussion hub for the vape community.

They use their own Naturally Extracted Tobacco, and are known in particular for their unique variety of tea flavors, among the standard tobacco and sweet flavors. Though most would say that theres nothing "standard" about them.

Has their site reopened? I have a wish list about a mile long with them and last I read on ECF they were overwhelmed and had closed shop until they caught up.

Broseybrose

Has their site reopened? I have a wish list about a mile long with them and last I read on ECF they were overwhelmed and had closed shop until they caught up.

No, im afraid it seems theyre still closed for the time being.

I didnt even know about them closing temporarily til i read it here, but their site confirms it. You cant place any orders.

TheExodu5

Banned
I wonder if the CE3 I got were fakes...3 of them burnt, one DOA, and the last one is now giving me very little flavor and increasingly tasting of plastic/rubber.

Jack_AG

Banned

Roger that! Will be looking into trying some flavors, thanks!

Broseybrose

I wonder if the CE3 I got were fakes...3 of them burnt, one DOA, and the last one is now giving me very little flavor and increasingly tasting of plastic/rubber.

It does sound like youre having a terrible time with them. From what you described it does sound like the juice is not wicking... but this is a problem ive never had with the CE3s. Only if i was to chain vape 100% VG juice could i get a burnt taste; but it goes away in no time. Because of the bottom coil and gravity, 10 seconds will fully saturate the coil again.

However, since youre moving from a vivi nova to $2 clearos, I would understand if you werent impressed with CE3s, even if they worked right, but it doesnt sound like yours are working properly at all.

I hope you didnt throw any of them away, so you can test the ones you thought 'bad' with thinner juice, just to see if its a viscosity issue.

Roger that! Will be looking into trying some flavors, thanks!
Sorry that youll have to wait until they reopen, as apparently they got overwhelmed with demand and are temporarily taking no orders.

I picked a bad time to recommend their product. :/

Yeah it's definitely not the experience I had with them. I've bought 10 now and I've never had a burnt one or a dead one. I'm using two now that are about a month old and they taste as good as my (default) Vivi Nova ever has. Perhaps it's a juice issue, I'm not sure. I use a 70/30 mix in mine the majority of the time.

Only issue I've had is a couple leaking out of the bottom after several weeks of heavy use but blowing the juice from the centre tube fixed them.

With the dead one try easing the centre circle on the bottom out a bit. It might not be connecting with the battery.

TheExodu5

Banned
It does sound like youre having a terrible time with them. From what you described it does sound like the juice is not wicking... but this is a problem ive never had with the CE3s. Only if i was to chain vape 100% VG juice could i get a burnt taste; but it goes away in no time. Because of the bottom coil and gravity, 10 seconds will fully saturate the coil again.

However, since youre moving from a vivi nova to $2 clearos, I would understand if you werent impressed with CE3s, even if they worked right, but it doesnt sound like yours are working properly at all.

I hope you didnt throw any of them away, so you can test the ones you thought 'bad' with thinner juice, just to see if its a viscosity issue.

I only have the one left. Tried it again this morning and the flavor was fine. A few vapes in, and the flavor is gone and all I taste is mild flavor mixed in with a bit of plastic. These were the ones from vapingthings.com, by the way.

In any case, I'll be receiving some from GotVapes probably this week, so I'll be sure those are the real deal this time around.

I might just end up sticking with the Vivi Nova. It works great as long as you keep it mostly full. That's a bit of a problem when it comes to trying new juices as you need to dump a bunch of it out afterwards. What I might do is pick up a drip tip for trying out flavors, and just use a few Nova tanks to hold the flavors I really like.

Top Bottom