• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official E-Cigarette Thread Of F#ck Analog Cigarettes

DaFish

Well I love vaping for the taste. I quit smoking on the 30th last month and haven't touched an analog cig since.

I've also gone down a LOT in how much I vape and I am looking for that perfect vape without dripping. I wouldn't mind dripping at home - but when I'm out and about, driving, etc - I'd like a tank system.

I'd also like a tank system with an SS wick - the idea of particles of silica wick in condensate (as found and photographed in ECF) bothers me some. Granted, condensate particles are much larger than smoke particles and can't get into the nooks and crannies of your lungs and the minute amounts of silica you inhale can probably be dealt with - I just don't like that idea.

Cotton "might" (super tiny quotes there) be safer - but burns easier than silica.

I would ultimately like to go with an SS mesh system. I love flavor. As I said earlier, I cut down a LOT since I quit smoking. I went from 1.25 packs a day to maybe 1.5ml a day.

What are some good Genesis style systems?

Depends what you want... There are full hybrid mods out there (battery and genesis atty in one piece). Or if you have a nice battery (Provari, VAMO, ect...) then there are several Genesis atties that will just screw into the 510 connection.

One of the best ones went on sale today (Z Atty P and Z Atty U)

A full hybrid mod goes for around $200-$250

A single Genesis style atomizer goes for around $110-$150 (this would be what you need if you already had a nice battery to use it with)

All of these things are limited runs and are some what hard to come by (Which is why Iv been spamming this thread with "In Stock" lately).

See what you think you would like and maybe I can find something instock soon for you.

Here is a new product that should be available pretty soon (but ships in January): http://www.310vapers.com/m1-juggernaut-advanced-personal-vaporizer/m1-juggernaut-hybrid.html

A lot of people love the iHybrid mods: http://www.ihybridmods.com/Products.html and http://www.310vapers.com/advanced-personal-vaporizers/ihybrid-apv.html

I have an Orion v2.1 on order coming in the mail soon: http://www.310vapers.com/advanced-personal-vaporizers/orion-by-no-smoker.html

But this is my baby right now (Zenesis ASH) its the only Genesis I own right now so its the only one I can speak for:

zenandpluid.jpg

This is the site to buy Zenesis mods (Sidewinder should be available soon, not sure I would recommend it at the moment as some folks were having issues with some parts which are apparently fix now and its prolly the most expensive mod right now): http://www.electronicstix.com/collections/zenesis-hybrid-mods

daw840

I vape constantly in my house, it doesn't smell at all and that doesn't bother me, but I have an 8 month old daughter. I never really thought about it because the vapor goes away pretty quickly, do you think I should be concerned at all?

Very nice mod, DaFish. Wish I could have gotten my hands on a Zenesis BAM. Do you know if the Hellfire Telescopic is for sale?

I was wondering if these Boge cartos are different since the description mentions they're "empty" and "great for dripping"? Are they the same as all the other Boge cartos?

DaFish

Very nice mod, DaFish. Wish I could have gotten my hands on a Zenesis BAM. Do you know if the Hellfire Telescopic is for sale?

I was wondering if these Boge cartos are different since the description mentions they're "empty" and "great for dripping"? Are they the same as all the other Boge cartos?

I don't know about the Hellfire... I can take a look around

Edit: Not finding much info on the Hellfire Hybrid Telescopic being sold anywhere, Im sure one would show up in the classifieds one of these days.

Broseybrose

I vape constantly in my house, it doesn't smell at all and that doesn't bother me, but I have an 8 month old daughter. I never really thought about it because the vapor goes away pretty quickly, do you think I should be concerned at all?

No. No smoke = no second-hand smoke.

I think before diving into the expensive world of genesis mods and batteries, I'm going to try out one of the cheaper genesis knock-offs like this or the phoenix. Both seem to have gotten good reviews on various forums and sites. Here's a good vid review and walkthrough of the phoenix rebuildable.

DaFish

I think before diving into the expensive world of genesis mods and batteries, I'm going to try out one of the cheaper genesis knock-offs like this or the phoenix. Both seem to have gotten good reviews on various forums and sites. Here's a good vid review and walkthrough of the phoenix rebuildable.

Yup, good plan.

I have one of the knock offs you posted and it is actually pretty good (at least better then cartos/vivi nova). But for some reason my Zenesis tastes much better, must be something with the size of the air hole I may bore this one out on the knock off and give it a go.

Yup, good plan.

I have one of the knock offs you posted and it is actually pretty good (at least better then cartos/vivi nova).

Yup, pretty much getting it as an upgrade to the Nova. I'm comfortable making a SS wick now but the Nova still isn't all that great for full flavour, as much as SS improves it.

Got some Vermillion River maplewood today. Really like it; I don't traditionally go for a tobacco flavour but it isn't harsh, it's a blend mixed with a bourbon flavour and a nice sweet hint of maple. Very moreish.

Definitely going to give some House of Liquid El Toro a try now. They steep tobacco in a PC/GV mix for 30 days then they store the liquid in an oak cask that used to be used for brandy production for another 30 days. Everyone's raving about it on UKVapers.

Jack_AG

Banned
Hot damn, DaFish! That thing is sick!

I would ultimately like to settle on a single piece of kit for my mobile vape and start dripping when at home. I will look into genesis style atty's - I would love to try SS as everyone says they taste the best compared to other wicks.

Right now I'll stick with my (allegedly CD5) T2's and DCT for vaping on my Twist but will probably settle on the eGo passthrough for dripping on an LR atty and upgrade to a nicer setup next year when I can afford one for my mobile-ness. I just found out I will be off my day job for another few months and now have to put my indie development on hold. Can't get anything new for quite some time.

Now it's time to get rid of those vintage SW figures (w/cards) and playsets I've had since I was a kid, haha!

That sucks. :(

So I've uh..been following the instructions on http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZxGfAmIcs70 pretty much frame for frame, but every time I go to vape i just tastes burnt. I'm using Boba's Bounty, so for a couple of hours I tried it with the default one that's installed on there (The video says there's no difference in the 325/400 except for throat hit) but decided to try rebuilding it with the 325 to see if it'd vape it any better.

My first attempt was hilarious and ended with me producing flame every time I tested it. That is probably not what was supposed to happen, so I recoiled it with much better results. Except I still don't get any of the flavor, everything is still burnt. Hm. I'll keep fiddling with it, I guess.

Need help. Read the OP but not sure how up to date it is. I am wanting to purchase an E-Cig pack for my wife. She has said she will try it. I am in Spokane, WA. Any suggestions for what to purchase and a retailer would be great, or if you recommend an online retailer, I'd be open to that too.

Thanks

DaFish

That sucks. :(

So I've uh..been following the instructions on http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZxGfAmIcs70 pretty much frame for frame, but every time I go to vape i just tastes burnt. I'm using Boba's Bounty, so for a couple of hours I tried it with the default one that's installed on there (The video says there's no difference in the 325/400 except for throat hit) but decided to try rebuilding it with the 325 to see if it'd vape it any better.

My first attempt was hilarious and ended with me producing flame every time I tested it. That is probably not what was supposed to happen, so I recoiled it with much better results. Except I still don't get any of the flavor, everything is still burnt. Hm. I'll keep fiddling with it, I guess.

Add one more wrap to your coil.

Everything is heating up even right? no "hot spots"?

Also you may want to tilt a bit to get it wicking.

I prodded it to make sure all the coils were heating up and tilted it when I filled it up with juice, and again after an hour or so it's still not working at all with the Boba's Bounty. I emptied it out and filled it up with some 70/30 e-juice and it works fine.

daw840

Need help. Read the OP but not sure how up to date it is. I am wanting to purchase an E-Cig pack for my wife. She has said she will try it. I am in Spokane, WA. Any suggestions for what to purchase and a retailer would be great, or if you recommend an online retailer, I'd be open to that too.

Thanks
Op is very up to date! What questions do you have? Checkout the starter kit. Option 2 if you're on a budget!

DaFish

I prodded it to make sure all the coils were heating up and tilted it when I filled it up with juice, and again after an hour or so it's still not working at all with the Boba's Bounty. I emptied it out and filled it up with some 70/30 e-juice and it works fine.

what pg/vg ratio is Boba's?

You say you tried the 400 mesh wick yet?

I find the 400 to be perfect when using Pluid (50/50)

Edit: also don't fill the tank all the way the first time you are using a new wick, maybe fill it 3/4th the way

Boba's is 100% VG. The 400x400 is what came in it pre-installed and it didn't work so well with it, so I replaced it with the 325x325 and recoiled it and it still didn't work all that well. When I emptied it out and put in some 70/30 e-juice in it worked perfectly. I tried to follow the instructions on the video as well as I could, but..hm. I thought these were supposed to work well with 100% VG?

DaFish

Boba's is 100% VG. The 400x400 is what came in it pre-installed and it didn't work so well with it, so I replaced it with the 325x325 and recoiled it and it still didn't work all that well. When I emptied it out and put in some 70/30 e-juice in it worked perfectly. I tried to follow the instructions on the video as well as I could, but..hm. I thought these were supposed to work well with 100% VG?

Keep using your 70/30 mix for a bit and let the wick and coil break-in/season and then go back to Boba's

TheExodu5

Banned
No luck with my DID clone yet. I've tried 4 and 5 coils and I get a really burnt flavor. The top piece of wire between the center post and the mesh is way hotter than the rest, and no amount of prodding seems to be changing that. I don't have a multimeter at the moment so I'm not sure what the resistance is. I guess I'll have to pick one up.

DaFish

No luck with my DID clone yet. I've tried 4 and 5 coils and I get a really burnt flavor. The top piece of wire between the center post and the mesh is way hotter than the rest, and no amount of prodding seems to be changing that. I don't have a multimeter at the moment so I'm not sure what the resistance is. I guess I'll have to pick one up.

Im keeping that screw for the fill hole out, try that it should help wicking.

TheExodu5

Banned
It's working now. Not sure why, but prodding the top coil so that it was above where it connects to the post finally stopped the wire between the coil and the post to glow. I could actually use some more voltage now.

Okay, so my vapor production isn't too great since the voltage isn't high, but nevertheless I have a feel for how this works. To be honest, I don't think it's for me. Vaping 4mg juice feels like I'm vaping 12mg. I like a very smooth throat hit and this is definitely at odds with that. I may need to find some lower mg juice if I want to keep going with the genesis style atomizers.

I love the draw though, and it feels much nicer to vape than the Phoenix clearos. It's very quiet and operates very smoothly by comparison.

If I offcenter the hole the throat hit is absurd.

edit: I bored out the hole as many recommended. Huge improvement.

DaFish

It's working now. Not sure why, but prodding the top coil so that it was above where it connects to the post finally stopped the wire between the coil and the post to glow. I could actually use some more voltage now.

Okay, so my vapor production isn't too great since the voltage isn't high, but nevertheless I have a feel for how this works. To be honest, I don't think it's for me. Vaping 4mg juice feels like I'm vaping 12mg. I like a very smooth throat hit and this is definitely at odds with that. I may need to find some lower mg juice if I want to keep going with the genesis style atomizers.

I love the draw though, and it feels much nicer to vape than the Phoenix clearos. It's very quiet and operates very smoothly by comparison.

If I offcenter the hole the throat hit is absurd.

edit: I bored out the hole as many recommended. Huge improvement.

Yeah I need to bore mine out as well... Is your hole lined up with the wick? I had sand my top cap for w bit to get them to line up.

Wallach

Well, I went ahead and ordered one of these Twist batteries (with a Kanger T3) instead of that other Firebrand one. Was either going to be this or the Vamo after some research, but I missed that $40 sale on it by some hours and I figure I'd put the money towards some more juice samples. Really hoping these things have progressed a lot so that it can be a decent replacement for smoking as I've been having thoughts of picking up cigarettes again lately.

Some of you guys have probably tried a lot of juices out there; any good recommendations for juice that has good throat hit? Seems like Halo has a decent reputations for it on their tobacco and menthol juices. That's pretty much why I smoke cigarettes in the first place, so I don't want to get anything that has very weak throat hit and wind up just wanting a cigarette more afterwards. Used to feel the same way about lights when I was a regular smoker.

DaFish

Well, I went ahead and ordered one of these Twist batteries (with a Kanger T3) instead of that other Firebrand one. Was either going to be this or the Vamo after some research, but I missed that $40 sale on it by some hours and I figure I'd put the money towards some more juice samples. Really hoping these things have progressed a lot so that it can be a decent replacement for smoking as I've been having thoughts of picking up cigarettes again lately.

Some of you guys have probably tried a lot of juices out there; any good recommendations for juice that has good throat hit? Seems like Halo has a decent reputations for it on their tobacco and menthol juices. That's pretty much why I smoke cigarettes in the first place, so I don't want to get anything that has very weak throat hit and wind up just wanting a cigarette more afterwards. Used to feel the same way about lights when I was a regular smoker.

I used to vape a few Halo juices... Malibu was good (not tobacco) and Torque was okay too (tobacco)

Zeth

So I stuck with the reduced strength Pluid and I've started to come around to it. I really dislike Anise usually, but I think I've acquired the Pluid taste. Even cut down to half strength it's a rather strong taste with more TH than most 10mg juices I've had. It doesn't seem to harm my Nova tubes, but I got a metal tube just in case.

I've also been using some Phoenix bottom coils for the first time and they're pretty nice! Only problem I'm having is with occasional leaking. I've had a few just totally empty out on me when I'm not looking. Not sure if it's an issue with the pressure in the tank area, a heat problem, or a combination. Which orientation do you store them in when not in use?

Good vaping lately. Enjoying Backwoods Brew Cherry Tobacco, Caramel Cap. and Pluid.

Broseybrose

So I stuck with the reduced strength Pluid and I've started to come around to it. I really dislike Anise usually, but I think I've acquired the Pluid taste. Even cut down to half strength it's a rather strong taste with more TH than most 10mg juices I've had. It doesn't seem to harm my Nova tubes, but I got a metal tube just in case.

I've also been using some Phoenix bottom coils for the first time and they're pretty nice! Only problem I'm having is with occasional leaking. I've had a few just totally empty out on me when I'm not looking. Not sure if it's an issue with the pressure in the tank area, a heat problem, or a combination. Which orientation do you store them in when not in use?

Good vaping lately. Enjoying Backwoods Brew Cherry Tobacco, Caramel Cap. and Pluid.

Always upright. I had one leak out on me too. Not sure how, but the vacuum seal must have broke.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm back to the Vivi Nova. Still the best out of the CE3 and DID clone so far. However, I've only been using a USB passthrough ego so I haven't gotten a higher voltage to properly get everything out of my DID, so that could change.

A few things to note about the Vivi Nova however:

1) It will taste synthetic for the first few dozen drags or so. I tend to not inhale at this point because it just doesn't taste very pleasant. This does wear off.

2) If you do dry burn it too much, the wicks will retain a burnt flavor that will never leave. Don't dry burn these.

3) You do need to keep it mostly full, and you do need to tip the juice into the wicks.

4) 1.8ohm is roughly equivalent to the 2.6-2.8ohm CE3, so don't compare the higher ohm versions unless you adjust the voltage accordingly. The 2.4ohm has a very muted flavor with my USB passthrough. Only the 1.8ohm really produces good flavor.

I'll have an Ego Twist coming in soon, so I'll have a chance to try the DID and higher ohm Vivi Nova with proper voltage.

Jack_AG

Banned
I gave away my Nova. I probably should have kept it but it tasted like plastic right off the bat. 2.4 ohm and even on low voltage it tasted like nothing but wick. Tried it for a few days and their wick didn't break in. Moved to a T2 and it was a world apart. Tons of flavor, hits like a beast, no silica wick taste.

I want to move away from silica and towards SS. Probably will pick up a Smoktech ZMax v2 and the Zen-U next year and start rolling my own 400s. Everyone seems to love genesis style rebuildables and SS mesh so I might as well dive in. 90 bucks for the Smok vs 160 for the Provari is drastic.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas all! Keep vapin!

It's hard to give an exact answer for this as there are so many variables to consider. I was a Newport smoker, half a pack daily. I knew when I started that I would first try a menthol tobacco and I bought some Decadent Vapor Pure Smooth Menthol at 18mg nic strength and a bottle of Pure Menthol to see if they would hit the spot. They did, for ME. So much so that one day (and most of us have had them) I was craving a traditional one so bad and the other juices I had weren't satisfying me. I vaped the menthol as much as I needed to get over the hump.
Honestly, no juice you find is going to replace the taste of a cigarette. But there are juices out there that satisfy you. And most juices give great throat hit if you buy a mostly PG mix (one of the variables I was referring to).
The other is nic strength. If you smoked full strength cigs, I would start at least with 18mg strength to start, maybe 20 or 24. 18 is what I find works for me. It satisfies me and I can vape as often as I used to smoke.
Last is equipment, but it seems like you're good on that. Juice taste varies with the method of delivery and at different volts/power.
There are quite a few good tobacco juice vendors - Halo is one, though I've not had them. Heathers Heavenly Vapes has good complex and simple tobaccos. They will definitely give you throat hit at even 50/50 mix ratio. I find them to be quality juices, but a little too strong in the tobacco taste.
Goodejuice had very good tobaccos as well.
Alien Visions E-Juice has good tobaccos as well, though as a new new vaper, the throat hit likely won't satisfy you.

Just choose a juice that sounds appealing to you.

Good luck with finding the juice that works for you - it's out there for sure. You may even find that you'll move from tobacco juices because of the variety of flavors out there.

Interesting to say the least. Took 4 hits and yeah, this s&!t is strong. Had to put down the pipe, lol. I really, really, REALLY dislike black licorice. But this juice is so far "jammin on the one", meaning it's great. So would definitely purchase again.

DaFish

Interesting to say the least. Took 4 hits and yeah, this s&!t is strong. Had to put down the pipe, lol. I really, really, REALLY dislike black licorice. But this juice is so far "jammin on the one", meaning it's great. So would definitely purchase again.

Yeah buddy!

I believe its still in stock at vapow.com too.

DaFish

I gave away my Nova. I probably should have kept it but it tasted like plastic right off the bat. 2.4 ohm and even on low voltage it tasted like nothing but wick. Tried it for a few days and their wick didn't break in. Moved to a T2 and it was a world apart. Tons of flavor, hits like a beast, no silica wick taste.

I want to move away from silica and towards SS. Probably will pick up a Smoktech ZMax v2 and the Zen-U next year and start rolling my own 400s. Everyone seems to love genesis style rebuildables and SS mesh so I might as well dive in. 90 bucks for the Smok vs 160 for the Provari is drastic.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas all! Keep vapin!

How much are the VAMO's, that looked like a real winner over the ZMAX to me.

How much are the VAMO's, that looked like a real winner over the ZMAX to me.

Matter of fact, I'm vaping that Pluid using it. I bought a stainless one for 49.99 from Goodprophets.com. I read a lot of folks finding it for 39.99, but in the black chrome finish. I'm no expert with this stuff, but I agree with people saying that for the price, you get a LOT of features. It certainly exceeds other advanced vaporizers in that price range, I feel. Time will tell though.

DaFish

Matter of fact, I'm vaping that Pluid using it. I bought a stainless one for 49.99 from Goodprophets.com. I read a lot of folks finding it for 39.99, but in the black chrome finish. I'm no expert with this stuff, but I agree with people saying that for the price, you get a LOT of features. It certainly exceeds other advanced vaporizers in that price range, I feel. Time will tell though.

Oh, right on.

The different battery config was mighty appealing.

Zeth

Always upright. I had one leak out on me too. Not sure how, but the vacuum seal must have broke.

First one I sat upright leaked (emptied completely) but I've had the same thing happen some that I've stored horizontally. Very strange. I've had a pair going for a few days now and each has randomly leaked occasionally, sometimes going multiple fills without a drop leaked.

How long/how many fills are the Phoenix bottom coils usually good for btw?

Wallach

Thanks for the responses about juice. I've got a ton on my list right now to check out... probably too many but I'm sure I'll get around to all of them. I'll try and remember to share my experiences with each one that comes in.

I was just thinking... I reckon I miss vaping more than I miss smoking at this point. I hardly think about smoking any more (I think it's been something like two years since my last analogue if not longer), but I see all the cool vaping kit that's out there (it was stone age crap when I started about 5 years ago) and I'd love to give it a blast!

How do you clean them?

You can take them apart, but I don't bother. Too much hassle and more potential to break them. I just push water in with a syringe with force, then pull and push on the syringe a few times to rock the water back and forth. Do this 3 times and blow excess water out. You can leave them to dry for a day or so, but I've found that's more likely to result in a burnt wick so I usually just fill straight away which can result in a bit of a watery vape for a little while but it sorts itself out.

I don't clean mine often. I even switch juices without cleaning. I usually clean if juice has been sitting in it for quite a while or if its a particularly strong juice like a menthol or chocolate.

Top Bottom