• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official E-Cigarette Thread Of F#ck Analog Cigarettes

daw840

Done!

Again. Thanks to everyone here! The OP is expanding and I love it!

Every one of you guys who posted above about being off the stinkies helps me to stay off them. My wife still smokes them so I have one or two a day because I'm weak, but you guys help me! I've gone from a pack a day to maybe a pack a week over the last year or so. My wife wants to get knocked up so she'll quit smoking and so will I!

caramac

Not had an analog for 8 days now, and even more pleasing is that I don't feel the need for one.

My eGo twist set up really does hit all the right buttons.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Not had an analog for 8 days now, and even more pleasing is that I don't feel the need for one.

My eGo twist set up really does hit all the right buttons.

High Five!

Keep it up man. Your sense of smell and taste should be the next things to improve.

I knew it was better that I only use high VG content liquids. Now SCIENCE supports me.

Fuck yea SCIENCE!

Actually, looks like it might be the other way around. The ninth post in the thread mentioned above cites a study indicating that they only found formaldehyde and acrolein in glycerin-based liquids (still lots less than in traditional cigarettes).

Took my new Kanger Evod on a trip this past week. No real complaints other than the condensation is a bit worse than a CE3 -- no big deal, just found myself swabbing the battery a couple times a day. Probably worth it for the increased capacity and non-syringe fill (especially on a trip). Someone mentioned that they liked the idea of the Kanger T3, but wanted greater portability. This may be your answer. I'm happy enough with the thing (and Elite Vaporwork's prices -- Evod and five heads for 12 bucks!) that I'd consider recommending this kit to a new user over the Hoosier kit that I got from the OP link. I'd also recommend getting something other than a tobacco flavor in your first order. I also started with tobacco flavors and, to my great surprise, realized it totally wasn't for me.

Been using Mt. Baker Vapor juice pretty much exclusively, at 18 mg and 80/20 PG/VG (their default). Spearmint is good and pretty potent. Grappler is great, my fave so far. Bananas Gone Nuts tastes great, but looks so dark and goopy that I'm only using it in a cartomizer, not the CE3s or Evod, afraid it'll clog 'em up. Sticky Bun (this one is actually 12 mg, free sample) is pretty good, but weird. Morning Vape is ok but has a little hint of a weird sour, milky taste underneath (don't take my word, though, don't like creamer in coffee). Hawk Sauce, Blackberry and Caramel Apple are on the way.

Chopper

It just feels like yesterday that I stumbled upon this thread and discovered the world of vaping. When I first started, I was hunting every bit of info I could find, watching the review and tutorial videos on YouTube, joining dedicated forums, desperately trying to get to grips to what the fuck everyone was talking about, convinced I was destined to never understand.

This week, I got this:

qAVjVTd.jpg

I know what those buttons do, I know what I have screwed in the top, I know what materials I need and how to rebuild what I have screwed in the top, I know what batteries I need for this thing, I know what a fucking hot spring is, I know a fat stainless steel drip tip is the only way to go, and I know that Grants Vanilla Custard is quite something.

I feel like I've made it. :)

Oh, and I haven't touched tobacco since I started. The thought of having a cigarette disgusts me. Thanks everyone.

I appreciate a Vamo/IGO-L setup is hardly the most groundbreaking to some of you pros, but it's a step further than I thought I would ever get three weeks ago!

caramac

Damn, that thing looks amazing. I would imagine it performs pretty good too.
Good to hear you rate grants vanilla custard. I have a 30ml bottle on order.

Chopper

Damn, that thing looks amazing. I would imagine it performs pretty good too.
Good to hear you rate grants vanilla custard. I have a 30ml bottle on order.
The Vamo is great. Much smaller than I imagined, and absolutely perfect for vaping at home on the sofa. I still take my Twist to work with me, so battery life is a complete non-issue.

I wanted to get something to complement it. Pretty much every clearo/carto on the planet looks stupid on it; even the Kanger T3. The IGO-L is pretty much the go-to My First Rebuildable, and as a complete beginner nailed a 2.4 Ohm coil in 15 minutes. Not optimal, but a good start, and works pretty much perfectly at 10 Watts. It's a very different experience from using clearos, that's for sure! GVC didn't grab me in a clearo like it does right now out of the IGO.

Next step, carto tanks so I can use my Vamo out of the house. I'm still a little confused about what cartos fit what tanks, but I'll get my head round it eventually. In fact I've got a U-DCT sat here waiting for me to play. Just need to work out how to re-use it!

Chopper

I see that MFLB there! Can that new device do double-duty? Seems like even though they're less discrete, they're more "hidden" because of their obviousness.
Ha ha. Certainly not. The Box was a necessary investment to kick the tobacco. It's strictly for home/after work use. I'm smoke free dude!

It's been a good evening. :)

Wallach

Just a heads-up for anyone that buys from AVE Juice directly (the Boba's Bounty guys); it appears their CC system has been compromised and many buyers have found fraudulent charges on their CCs. For now I think they've taken their payment system offline but if you've bought from that vendor in the past month or two I think you should check your CC statements.

t0va

Just a heads-up for anyone that buys from AVE Juice directly (the Boba's Bounty guys); it appears their CC system has been compromised and many buyers have found fraudulent charges on their CCs. For now I think they've taken their payment system offline but if you've bought from that vendor in the past month or two I think you should check your CC statements.

Damn, I dodged the bullet. Last week I had a strong and immediate urge to purchase a few bottles of juice from this site. Stopped myself during checkout.

Husker86

I've been using the new Kanger EVOD for almost a day and I like it! My T3 would always leak onto the battery if it wasn't kept straight up which caused it to bubble when trying to take a draw. Haven't experience that with the EVOD yet.

Was very easy to rebuild too, made a stainless steel wick and got it in there right away. New design is much better than T3 for rebuilding.

The Vamo is great. Much smaller than I imagined, and absolutely perfect for vaping at home on the sofa. I still take my Twist to work with me, so battery life is a complete non-issue.

I wanted to get something to complement it. Pretty much every clearo/carto on the planet looks stupid on it; even the Kanger T3. The IGO-L is pretty much the go-to My First Rebuildable, and as a complete beginner nailed a 2.4 Ohm coil in 15 minutes. Not optimal, but a good start, and works pretty much perfectly at 10 Watts. It's a very different experience from using clearos, that's for sure! GVC didn't grab me in a clearo like it does right now out of the IGO.

Next step, carto tanks so I can use my Vamo out of the house. I'm still a little confused about what cartos fit what tanks, but I'll get my head round it eventually. In fact I've got a U-DCT sat here waiting for me to play. Just need to work out how to re-use it!

You will need the XL size cartos. I use Single Coil Cartos as the Dual Coils seem to burn up faster and do not last as long. The vape is the same to me on either.

For the UDCT, get the cartos with the flange to "lock" it into the bottom ring (you will see notches on the bottom of the tank)

I tried Kangers, vivi nova etc and the Carto Tanks are the best delivery device in my opinion.

Good luck with the new tank!

Chopper

You will need the XL size cartos. I use Single Coil Cartos as the Dual Coils seem to burn up faster and do not last as long. The vape is the same to me on either.

For the UDCT, get the cartos with the flange to "lock" it into the bottom ring (you will see notches on the bottom of the tank)

I tried Kangers, vivi nova etc and the Carto Tanks are the best delivery device in my opinion.

Good luck with the new tank!
Thanks man. I find it amazing that it is so hard to differentiate between cartos on these websites. "Flanged" is rarely in the item description, for example. Why the XL size? What's telling you that?

I've been using the new Kanger EVOD for almost a day and I like it! My T3 would always leak onto the battery if it wasn't kept straight up which caused it to bubble when trying to take a draw. Haven't experience that with the EVOD yet.

Was very easy to rebuild too, made a stainless steel wick and got it in there right away. New design is much better than T3 for rebuilding.
Can you replace the mouthpiece with a drip tip?

str8-h4x

Living in Nebraska, the vaping community is not as big as on the coasts, so it leaves me with really only 1 option where I live, and 1 other option in Omaha for anything vaping related. I've typically been getting juice mixed at 18mg 50/50 from my local supplier.

I recently went to Denver and visited a store that sold basically, everything, with prices close to internet - Vaporleaf.com is the website address. They had some dekang fluid, house built stuff and all the chinese clearo's you could want.

I'm currently running between several different vivi clones, a vapeonly bcc, a kanger evod clone, etc. I'm not so sure that BCC is the way for me, and I kept thinking "there has got to be better juice out there!"...so I did some looking and stumbled on mtbakervapor

Now, for the price, it seems they can't be beat. I ordered for myself and my gf the following flavors, all in different ratios.

Thug Juice
Cotton Candy
Ecto Cooler
Chocolate mint
555 Menthol

and received "lemon drop" as a freebie.

In order to actually vape the ecto I had to order smoketech dual coil 1.5ohm cartomizers for my kgo kit....and holy shit if these things aren't scary huge, and scary in general. I think I'll just pass on these as clearo's seem to work ok for me.

The shipping was super fast and the prices really seemed great, let me give you a quick review of each.

Thug Juice - I thought I'd really like this, as a marlboro menthol/newport smoker for 15 years, and currently loving a "blue raspberry (candy like)" local juice, this thing tastes like perfume and gave me a stomach ache out of the gate. No go for me.

Cotton Candy - Exactly what you would expect. Tastes like Cotton candy - I've tried much better "desert flavors" so I'll keep this thing back for an every once in a while.

Ecto Cooler - Call me a pussy, but using this giant dual coil carto that isn't see through is freaking me out - it tastes like tang, and I'm sure the flavor will be ok once I get a glass tank but this one is on the sidelines too.

Chocolate mint - Untested, will need dedicated tank because it looks like motor oil

555 Menthol - The reviews stated this was like a Marl Menthol - I disagree - the Tabac flavors just don't seem "right" to me. I spiked it with some additional Dekang "newport" juice to compensate the sweet tabac base and made it a bit better. I ordered a 30ml of this so I have to figure out someway to use it.

So now I really have a few bottles of juice that I'm not going to use - has anyone had experience selling non-liked e-liquids on craigslist or anything? I don't want it to go to waste....

I guess I might just be destined to use one flavor of juice, forever. Pretty disappointing on the carto's too - now I'm considering just sticking with what works for me (been at it about a month) and trying to get off it all in the next 90 days.

Thanks man. I find it amazing that it is so hard to differentiate between cartos on these websites. "Flanged" is rarely in the item description, for example. Why the XL size? What's telling you that?

Can you replace the mouthpiece with a drip tip?

I own the UDCT (Smoktek Locking tanks) and they use the XL length cartos.

Although they do not tell you that in most descriptions at vendor websites.

Chopper

Just tried a few more juices from Alchemists Cupboard.

Lemon Meringue Pie: Amazing. Mint Choc Chip: Amazing. Bananas and Cream: Very good. Work Rest and Play: I burnt the wick in my IGO at this point, so it tasted like shit.

Need my materials to arrive in the post so I can try that last one again.

Here are my reviews/thoughts on some VapeDudes juices i've received.

Strawberry Fields - Very gross. Taste like cough medicine
Menthol - Not very menthol-y. I use it to cut down some stronger flavors of other juice
Blue Honey - Highly recommended. Very nice and subtle flavor.

Menthol - Not very menthol-y. I use it to cut down some stronger flavors of other juice

If you like the Blue Honey, give Blue-Jitsu a shot. It's been my absolute favorite of theirs.

My girl friend and I do not smoke cigarettes, but we do like hookah. We were thinking of getting an e-cig because we heard we can get nicotine free hookah like tips

is this true and is it recommend for hookah users who don't smoke cigarettes?

border

If you just want to inhale a smoky, flavored vapor I imagine that e-cigs are much better than normal hookahs. You can get flavors without nicotine.

Thanks everybody for the replies.
Juste failed again at stopping cigarrettes after 5 days this week end.
My advice: if you don't mind a setup that's about the size of a cigar than get a Joye eGo battery and Kanger T3 cartomizer. If it MUST be small like a cigarette get a Joye 510 battery and a pack of Boge Cartomizers.

finally i got both of them so i can have a backup.
We will see how it goes, package will be home at the end of the week.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

Damn it. I've been waiting about a week and a half for this one. Along with some others, Baffleberry and Fruit Stripes. I've had the last two but not Strawberry fields yet. Here's to hoping my palate is different. I've been looking for a good strawberry flavor.

I don't care to much for alien visions "Strawberry Cooler"

str8-h4x

There is a kiosk at a local mall which sells these, I'll take a look and see what they have.

More than likely, they will not give you the experience that you are after and will be grossly overpriced. The info in the OP may be daunting/confusing, but we can assist you. If it looks like a cigarette, it's likely not going to support a "hookah shaped" drip tip (mouthpiece). This kiosk may offer exactly what you're looking for, but just keep in mind you can get more than what you need from many online retailers for around $40-$60 - it's ALWAYS better to pay more in the beginning than to buy twice.

Good luck, and we are here for you!

More than likely, they will not give you the experience that you are after and will be grossly overpriced. The info in the OP may be daunting/confusing, but we can assist you. If it looks like a cigarette, it's likely not going to support a "hookah shaped" drip tip (mouthpiece). This kiosk may offer exactly what you're looking for, but just keep in mind you can get more than what you need from many online retailers for around $40-$60 - it's ALWAYS better to pay more in the beginning than to buy twice.

Good luck, and we are here for you!

appreciate it, I'm going to check out what they have tomorrow, if it's too expensive I'll come back here. I did look at the OP and didn't understand a thing I was looking at lol

There is a kiosk at a local mall which sells these, I'll take a look and see what they have.

Whoa.. hold up. As a Hookah lover myself, I really have to tell you not to expect anything close to a Hookah experience. These devices use water vapor so it doesn't feel nearly the same on inhale or exhale (especially with zero nicotine) and the flavor really varies. Some flavors can be spot on to the real thing and delicious. Some muted or "artificial" tasting. Still others are just gross.

Don't get me wrong, I love vaping but I don't want you walking into a purchase with high expectations of reproducing a Hookah experience with these devices. It's just not going to happen.

Wallach

They're definitely different, just as vaping is different from smoking cigarettes, cigars or pipe tobacco.

On the topic of juices, I still highly recommend Good Life Vapor. His Melon Boba is my main vape and I've yet to find anything to challenge that spot. I've yet to order from Halo like I planned to; been meaning to try their Tiki Juice for a while and they've got some other flavors I want to sample since I hear they have some juices with wicked throat hit.

Wallach

and what is importance of each in regards to health and taste?

Health wise there's very little difference. Both are extremely simple compounds; neither is a carcinogen and both have very low toxicities (i.e. you'd need to actually drink some significant quantity of either as an adult). Vegetable glycerin is slightly safer than propylene glycol, mainly in regards to the chance of having an irritated reaction in the throat.

As to the way they change the property of vapor, propylene glycol is a bit more efficient in transferring flavor, and will typically result in a stronger throat hit on inhale than vegetable glycerin. However, less vapor is produced when propylene glycol is vaporized, and PG is much less viscous than VG so the two are often blended to try and find the right mix of flavor, vapor production, throat hit and viscosity of liquid; extremely thick juices can deteriorate the wicks or atomizers faster, and some devices have trouble transferring thick liquids as effectively since it is harder to wick.

Health wise there's very little difference. Both are extremely simple compounds; neither is a carcinogen and both have very low toxicities (i.e. you'd need to actually drink some significant quantity of either as an adult). Vegetable glycerin is slightly safer than propylene glycol, mainly in regards to the chance of having an irritated reaction in the throat.

As to the way they change the property of vapor, propylene glycol is a bit more efficient in transferring flavor, and will typically result in a stronger throat hit on inhale than vegetable glycerin. However, less vapor is produced when propylene glycol is vaporized, and PG is much less viscous than VG so the two are often blended to try and find the right mix of flavor, vapor production, throat hit and viscosity of liquid; extremely thick juices can deteriorate the wicks or atomizers faster, and some devices have trouble transferring thick liquids as effectively since it is harder to wick.

very informative, thanks

Chopper

Ego-C Twist with Phoenix CE3 and a 70/30 juice at 8mg is the closest I've got to replicating a Hookah.
In my experience, the CE3, whilst an extremely efficient, handy little clearo, mutes the flavour of your juice. I didn't realise until I got an IGO, but the difference is like night and day.

str8-h4x

They're definitely different, just as vaping is different from smoking cigarettes, cigars or pipe tobacco.

On the topic of juices, I still highly recommend Good Life Vapor. His Melon Boba is my main vape and I've yet to find anything to challenge that spot. I've yet to order from Halo like I planned to; been meaning to try their Tiki Juice for a while and they've got some other flavors I want to sample since I hear they have some juices with wicked throat hit.

Can you share some info regarding the melon boba? I've seen boba's bounty mentioned a lot on e-cig forums but frankly I don't spend much time on them because it gets overwhelming quickly, even to a moderately educated vaper. What's your setup?

I'm looking to make some informed purchases before wasting any additional money on gross juice.

border

I picked up one of the disposable Blu e-cigs just to dip my feet in the water with this phenomenon.

A lot of the problems I had with it (irritates my throat, makes me cough, tastes like mint toothpaste and not a menthol cigarette) are probably related to it just being a cheap, disposable product.

But my major concern is that it was not at all satisfying as a cigarette substitute. At no point did I really stop wanting to go smoke an actual cigarette. I thought that maybe this was because they were using a low nicotine concentration, but their website claims they are using 17-24mg, which is way more than I thought I'd ever need or want since I only smoke 6-10 cigarettes a day. Am I going to have the same problem if I switch over to a more costly and reliable setup?

str8-h4x

I picked up one of the disposable Blu e-cigs just to dip my feet in the water with this phenomenon.

A lot of the problems I had with it (irritates my throat, makes me cough, tastes like mint toothpaste and not a menthol cigarette) are probably related to it just being a cheap, disposable product.

But my major concern is that it was not at all satisfying as a cigarette substitute. At no point did I really stop wanting to go smoke an actual cigarette. I thought that maybe this was because they were using a low nicotine concentration, but their website claims they are using 17-24mg, which is way more than I thought I'd ever need or want since I only smoke 6-10 cigarettes a day. Am I going to have the same problem if I switch over to a more costly and reliable setup?

I doubt that actual concentration is what you're getting in the end. Recent studies show it can vary wildly. It's definitely different than smoking - it does take some getting used to, but I rarely ever succumb to the allure of an "analog" cigarette now, and when I do, it's gross. So yes, as a 15 year menthol smoker, I can attest to the power of the KGO.

You're correct in that the disposable version is considerably more harsh than the versions most of us in the thread use. I couldn't say why exactly it didn't statisfy your craving aside from perhaps the not so great experience causing you to perhaps not vape long enough during your vaping sessions.

The Nicotine content doesn't measure in terms of amount of cigarettes per day but instead the strength of the cigarette you typically use. Blu's HIGH nic level (24mg) would be akin to smoking Reds of most brands. While LOW (11mg if I'm not mistaken) would be more akin to smoking Lights. Something to keep in mind is that you will likely end up vaping more than you smoke due to a number of factors including Vaporized Nic absorbing at a smaller rate than Nicotine in smoke as well as the increased convenience (not having to step outside to satiate your desire).

Wallach

Can you share some info regarding the melon boba? I've seen boba's bounty mentioned a lot on e-cig forums but frankly I don't spend much time on them because it gets overwhelming quickly, even to a moderately educated vaper. What's your setup?

I'm looking to make some informed purchases before wasting any additional money on gross juice.

Melon Boba's totally unrelated to Boba's Bounty; the latter's named after the Star Wars guy I think, but the former's referring to the tapioca. It's basically just a combination of honeydew, cantaloupe and watermelon flavors, with a very subtle milk mint undertone to it. There's no element of tobacco whatsoever. Has a fairly good throat hit to it, which combined with the flavor is what keeps it my main vape.

The guy that mixes at GLV is really good and there's a ton of flavors to try out on his site, but this is still my favorite. Some of his others haven't been hits with me but they're still well-made liquids; more often than not from that site it's the throat hit being weak than the flavor really turning me off, though with the Magic Fairy flavor it really just kind of tastes like some kind of medicine.

I've tried Five Pawns too and they had some really interesting flavors - I particularly loved Queenside, which was basically an orange creamsicle flavor - but none of their stuff had any throat hit to speak of, which is a deal-breaker for me. They're also one of the most expensive vendors out there, which doesn't help.

If you want my advice on how to get started on the right foot, get 2 eGo Twists (with the charger and wall plug), at least a 5-pack of some IkenVape 510 cartomizers (either the 2.5 Ohm standard ones or the 3.0 Ohm Mega Fusions), a cheap aluminum or stainless steel drip tip, and some juice you think sounds interesting. Maybe throw in a couple Kanger MT3 clearomizers if you want to try those. My experience with them has been a little inconsistent, as was my experience with Boge cartomizers, which is why I switched to IKV cartomizers. I don't use my Kangers anymore, and truth be told I don't find them all that more convenient compared to the Mega Fusion cartomizers anyway and don't see myself going back to them.

I had the exact same experience as you the first time I tried vaping. This was a few years back (so they were probably even shittier) but it was the same idea; I was already a smoker, and bought one of those disposable Blu singles from a Walgreens or something.

In my case the problem was apparent from the start; the thing just had absolutely no throat hit. It was like sucking in flavored air, and while cigarettes basically taste like the devil taking a dump in your mouth, it wasn't much better.

These Twists I have are a whole different experience. I really don't have a reason to consider smoking anymore; for me the entire satisfaction of cigarettes was the throat hit, and with these it's proven that it can do that better than a cigarette. Maybe it won't be the same case for you, but at the very least I can tell you it's definitely a different experience vaping my current stuff than it was that plastic stick I tossed in the garbage can back then.

str8-h4x

Juice comments removed.

If you want my advice on how to get started on the right foot, get 2 eGo Twists (with the charger and wall plug), at least a 5-pack of some IkenVape 510 cartomizers (either the 2.5 Ohm standard ones or the 3.0 Ohm Mega Fusions), a cheap aluminum or stainless steel drip tip, and some juice you think sounds interesting. Maybe throw in a couple Kanger MT3 clearomizers if you want to try those. My experience with them has been a little inconsistent, as was my experience with Boge cartomizers, which is why I switched to IKV cartomizers. I don't use my Kangers anymore, and truth be told I don't find them all that more convenient compared to the Mega Fusion cartomizers anyway and don't see myself going back to them.

Thanks for responding, Wallach! I'll check out GLV.

I'm currently running a KGO (SLB made eGo), with any of the following (Vivi Nova, mini vivi, Kanger knock offs, Stardusts, C3's, etc.) Basically always a Clearo-Tank. I admit, the flavor lacks but it seems the best for me - so far anyways.

I'm getting ready to order a ProVari, or an evic or something similar, VV/VW for sure, so I'll probably be switching to some type of cartomizer tank setup.

I ordered these http://www.mtbakervapor.com/smoktech-ego-dual-coil-cartomizer/ to use with "ecto cooler" and other citrus flavors and IDK if it's the large flat rubber mouthpiece, or the fact that I can't see inside....or the fearmongering of the coil covers burning on even the coveted quality of the boge...the dual coil risk to my battery, etc. It's a HOT vape and throat hit was crazy. Something about the physical appearance/operation of a cartomizer is just.....unnerving to me. I'm literally soaking pillow batting and hoping it keeps a hot wire wet, lol. I suppose these terrible silica wicks aren't really any better - but I can at least SEE what's going on in there. Maybe I'll be doomed to making my own cotton/bamboo/SS wicks or using a drip atomizer the rest of my life.

It's hard out here for a pimp.

Wallach

Yeah, I agree the perk of being able to see inside the Kanger is nice. Ultimately though, my experience with the cartomizers is that they keep the coil wet enough that you get very subtle flavor changes to tell you when to add more liquid (or simply replace the cartomizer). I guess because the filling is never really bone dry again that process is drawn out a little more than it was with my Kanger or when dripping, since those go from "things are great" to "oh god" real quick.

I've never tried a dual coil cartomizer, but my IKV cartos aren't a terribly warm vape. Only slightly warmer than the T3, which is about as cool as it gets. All told though for me it comes down to the quality and consistency of the vape which has been way better for me on these IKVs than it was on the Kanger. I like dripping too but it's so inconsistent for me that combined with how much more convenient the carto is I never wind up using it for long. Pretty much only drip when trying a new liquid that I'm not sure I'd like to fill an entire carto with, and even then I'm getting a lot picker about ordering new liquids now.

Top Bottom