• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official E-Cigarette Thread Of F#ck Analog Cigarettes

Chopper

I'm getting ready to order a ProVari, or an evic or something similar, VV/VW for sure, so I'll probably be switching to some type of cartomizer tank setup..

It's hard out here for a pimp.
Unless you have money to burn, I couldn't recommend a Provari as a step-up from a KGO. Why not a Twist or a Vamo? The V3 is due out soon.

Oh, and I established that the horrible taste I experienced when trying Alchemist's Cupboard's Work, Rest and Play juice wasn't me burning the wick. It was the rancid taste of the juice. Avoid.

It appears as though a decent chocolate flavoured juice is an elusive beast.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So, I am still trying to find the perfect juice, and so far I've only enjoyed OKC's juices. Does anyone have an tips on what to do with the juices I can't stand? I hate to throw them away cause that's 'WASTING MONEY!!!', but I doubt anyone else would want them.

I haven't posted there in a while but I believe ECF has a B/S/T thread similar to the one on GAF you could try there. Or I could be out of my mind and just making stuff up.

If you want PM me the juice types you have an if interested I could make you an offer and paypal some funds your way..

(We should totally do this in this thread... )

Chopper

Yeah, I'd be up for offering up trades here. There is a trading thread at UKVapers that I am yet to partake in, but certainly have some juices I want to get rid of. There is every chance someone else will enjoy a juice you hate.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
My girl friend and I do not smoke cigarettes, but we do like hookah. We were thinking of getting an e-cig because we heard we can get nicotine free hookah like tips

is this true and is it recommend for hookah users who don't smoke cigarettes?
They have hookah stone things that, I believe, use e-cig juice and can be used with a hookah and a special bowl.

I'll look them up when I'm in front of a computer and not on my phone.

highrider

Banned
I picked up one of the disposable Blu e-cigs just to dip my feet in the water with this phenomenon.

A lot of the problems I had with it (irritates my throat, makes me cough, tastes like mint toothpaste and not a menthol cigarette) are probably related to it just being a cheap, disposable product.

But my major concern is that it was not at all satisfying as a cigarette substitute. At no point did I really stop wanting to go smoke an actual cigarette. I thought that maybe this was because they were using a low nicotine concentration, but their website claims they are using 17-24mg, which is way more than I thought I'd ever need or want since I only smoke 6-10 cigarettes a day. Am I going to have the same problem if I switch over to a more costly and reliable setup?

most of the problems with blue is the batteries. i think blu is on the right track with the pack and all, but it just isn't even in the same ballpark as an ego set up or something more advanced. i love the cigarette size form factor, but you really need more power to use vaping as a means of quitting. a very light smoker could do well with blu, but i was like you smoking 6 or 10 real cigs a day and blu just didn't get it done for me.

Amagon

Hello! I'm a e-cig noobie and actually looking into getting a e-hookah. I order a Starbuzz Pirate's Cave to try it out. Any recommendations for other e-hookahs to try?

str8-h4x

Yeah, I'd be up for offering up trades here. There is a trading thread at UKVapers that I am yet to partake in, but certainly have some juices I want to get rid of. There is every chance someone else will enjoy a juice you hate.

Unless you have money to burn, I couldn't recommend a Provari as a step-up from a KGO. Why not a Twist or a Vamo? The V3 is due out soon.

Yes indeed. I've got some stuff I'd trade too.

Maybe for those of us with a local store, we could do a share and send juice club or something like that....that could be a lot of fun!

And yeah, the Vamo is what my local B&M carries typically - I'm probably going to pick one up from them for $100 - I believe it's a v2. I should have just said "a larger battery Variable mod" or something like that...sorry for any confusion. Although, I'd be interested to hear your feedback on the vari. I'll definitely order a twist soon to replace my kgo. well - add to it anyways :)

I get so much conflicting feedback. I know the hoosier kgo can put out 4.0-4.2 directly off the charger, but should I always be running the 1.5-1.8 ohms on it? Some of my clearos only came with 2.2/2.5 ohms.... Should I be worried?

Wallach

Yes indeed. I've got some stuff I'd trade too.

Maybe for those of us with a local store, we could do a share and send juice club or something like that....that could be a lot of fun!

And yeah, the Vamo is what my local B&M carries typically - I'm probably going to pick one up from them for $100 - I believe it's a v2. I should have just said "a larger battery Variable mod" or something like that...sorry for any confusion. Although, I'd be interested to hear your feedback on the vari. I'll definitely order a twist soon to replace my kgo. well - add to it anyways :)

I get so much conflicting feedback. I know the hoosier kgo can put out 4.0-4.2 directly off the charger, but should I always be running the 1.5-1.8 ohms on it? Some of my clearos only came with 2.2/2.5 ohms.... Should I be worried?

$100 for a Vamo seems really high. Does theirs come with batteries/charger or something?

As for the KGO, I'd be more comfortable running a 2.2/2.5 Ohm device on it than a 1.5 Ohm. That's pretty low resistance for a modest battery.

Uhyve

Thinking of moving to e-cigarettes, but as a newbie, what are the chances of them being banned in the near future by the EU? I don't want to bother if I'm gonna have to move back to normal cigarettes.

Oh, and what's a good starter kit for someone in the UK? I'm looking at spending around £35, Jac Vapour looks pretty good but Paypal isn't working for them at the moment and I've never heard of Sagepay. So any suggestions? I want something resembling a cigarette (doesn't need to be exact), two batteries, a charger and some cartomisers.

Thinking of moving to e-cigarettes, but as a newbie, what are the chances of them being banned in the near future by the EU? I don't want to bother if I'm gonna have to move back to normal cigarettes.

Banned? Unlikely. It's early days for the legislative draft and it's more focused on regulating nicotine strength in consumer liquids than outright banning anything, as far as I know.

Oh, and what's a good starter kit for someone in the UK? I'm looking at spending around £35, Jac Vapour looks pretty good but Paypal isn't working for them at the moment and I've never heard of Sagepay. So any suggestions? I want something resembling a cigarette (doesn't need to be exact), two batteries, a charger and some cartomisers.

An Ego sized battery is the recommended battery. It's a bit bigger than the cig-sized batteries (it has the same circumference as an AA battery) but the quality of the experience is a big improvement. Much better flavour, vapour, throat hit and battery life. Many here who started on the small cig-sized batteries have found them unsatisfying and have upgraded and loved it, so it's worth trying to get people to save their money unless size really is a big issue for you.

If it isn't and you're happy to go the Ego route, option 1 in the op is your best bet. Many starter kits are more expensive than buying components separately, and they bundle in mediocre cartomizers. Here's some UK vendor links for the same stuff as option 1 in the op: Ego Twist (add USB charger), 5 CE3 cartomizers (free shipping). You might want a Kanger MT3 too, my favourite clearomizer. That aside all you'll need is juice. There are plenty of links in the OP for UK juice sites.

str8-h4x

$100 for a Vamo seems really high. Does theirs come with batteries/charger or something?

As for the KGO, I'd be more comfortable running a 2.2/2.5 Ohm device on it than a 1.5 Ohm. That's pretty low resistance for a modest battery.

Wallach, it actually might be the Zmax, and not the Vamo - so many similar names. In any event it would include battery/charger/accessories.

I really need to do a better job at understanding basic electricity. I thought with the weak battery a lower resistance coil would be better. Thanks again for the feedback.

I thought with the weak battery a lower resistance coil would be better. Thanks again for the feedback.

That is generally true, however Ego batteries aren't weak per se, and can handle a mid 2 ohm carto with ease. A standard Ego battery is typically 3.7 volts. Check out this chart. Too low and it'll overheat and shorten the life of your battery.

str8-h4x

That is generally true, however Ego batteries aren't weak per se, and can handle a mid 2 ohm carto with ease. A standard Ego battery is typically 3.7 volts. Check out this chart. Too low and it'll overheat and shorten the life of your battery.

Chart rules man, thank you! I have heated up my battery a time or two when I started and was just a bit "too excited", I appreciate it!

After researching electronic cigarettes that are Nicotine free, I still can't find anything that Definitively says that They are not harmful for the health

Double D

Ordering some Phoenix Clearos from gotvapes and was going to grab a juice or two. Anyone have any recommendations of their juices?

daw840

After researching electronic cigarettes that are Nicotine free, I still can't find anything that Definitively says that They are not harmful for the health
You're never going to find that because of legal liabilities. Everything is bad for you to an extent with a few exceptions. It's a matter of HOW bad...

Wallach

Wallach, it actually might be the Zmax, and not the Vamo - so many similar names. In any event it would include battery/charger/accessories.

I really need to do a better job at understanding basic electricity. I thought with the weak battery a lower resistance coil would be better. Thanks again for the feedback.

A ZMax kit with charger and batteries sounds about right for $100. With the accessories even a Vamo wouldn't be that bad, though you'd probably do better online.

What I meant about the battery is that when you lower the resistance of your attachment, the total current is going to go up pretty significantly. Smaller batteries will both get much hotter and drain much faster on lower resistance attachments for this reason. This is the reason bigger devices use "high-drain" batteries like the 18650s and such, since they're meant to handle higher current.

Just using a typical eGo example (the basic non-variable ones), they are set to put out 3.7v. This means a 1.5 resistance attachment is going to hit just over 9W of power:

3.7 (voltage) / 1.5 (resistance) = 2.46... (amperage, or current)
3.7 (voltage * 2.46... (current) = 9.126... (wattage, or power)

This is already pretty close to that upper limit for most juices before they start tasting burnt (since the juice will start vaporizing fast enough that new juice won't reach the coil in time).

This is also why variable wattage devices are so much simpler than variable voltage, since there is no thinking necessary when switching attachments that have different resistances. Since you're having the device dictate the power, it will simply reduce or increase the voltage necessary to give you the same net on a 2.5 resistance device as it would a 1.5 resistance device, and your experience with both devices in terms of vaporization will be essentially the same. You really only need to find the "sweet spot" for your juice once and then the device will adjust itself for whatever attachment you stick on it.

Edit - For the record, to find the wattage (power) you can also simply square your voltage and then divide by your resistance. I just did it that way since it shows how to also reveal your amperage.

Chopper

Good knowledge dude. But I've been using a 2.5 Ohm coil on my Vamo, and find that 9W gets the required result. Are you saying that I can keep it at 9W even if I get the resistance of my coil down?

Wallach

Good knowledge dude. But I've been using a 2.5 Ohm coil on my Vamo, and find that 9W gets the required result. Are you saying that I can keep it at 9W even if I get the resistance of my coil down?

Right. If you have it set in variable wattage mode, if you put a lower resistance attachment on your Vamo it will simply automatically lower the voltage to keep you at 9W.

Wallach

But it's the juice that will lead me to change the wattage setting?

In general, yeah. It may also just be that the attachment is better/worse at wicking for example, and where 9W on one attachment is fine, on another the juice still vaporizes too fast compared to juice wicking onto the coil.

All you really need to think about when playing with the wattage is what it tastes like and whether you're experiencing any inconsistency (like if you take two or three hits and that's enough to start getting dry/burnt hits).

str8-h4x

While I can probably do better online, I really don't mind the VERY low markup, and in some cases, pretty much within a dollar of online prices of my local store. IDK I might have to just go ahead and order one before they get the shipment in.

NEW VAMO that supports the ego threaded kangers or a Z-MAX? Has anyone used both? I'm concerned with the finish wearing off on the tubes :(

Chopper

You don't have to worry about the finish if you get stainless steel. You can get a Vamo super cheap here. You get a further discount at checkout if you register as a new member.

Uhyve

If it isn't and you're happy to go the Ego route, option 1 in the op is your best bet. Many starter kits are more expensive than buying components separately, and they bundle in mediocre cartomizers. Here's some UK vendor links for the same stuff as option 1 in the op: Ego Twist (add USB charger), 5 CE3 cartomizers (free shipping). You might want a Kanger MT3 too, my favourite clearomizer. That aside all you'll need is juice. There are plenty of links in the OP for UK juice sites.
I definitely like the look of the Ego Twist paired with a Kanger, was quite liking the idea of the automatics, but I suppose if manual works better then there's more chance I'll actually stick with it. Now to decide if I should wait till next pay day, or order the stuff now and hope I save enough money by not buying cigarettes...

str8-h4x

You don't have to worry about the finish if you get stainless steel. You can get a Vamo super cheap here. You get a further discount at checkout if you register as a new member.

holy shit this website is cheap as hell on a lot....you've ordered before...not a scam?

Edit - now I see, direct from China - hmmm

Broseybrose

Health wise there's very little difference. Both are extremely simple compounds; neither is a carcinogen and both have very low toxicities (i.e. you'd need to actually drink some significant quantity of either as an adult). Vegetable glycerin is slightly safer than propylene glycol, mainly in regards to the chance of having an irritated reaction in the throat.

As to the way they change the property of vapor, propylene glycol is a bit more efficient in transferring flavor, and will typically result in a stronger throat hit on inhale than vegetable glycerin. However, less vapor is produced when propylene glycol is vaporized, and PG is much less viscous than VG so the two are often blended to try and find the right mix of flavor, vapor production, throat hit and viscosity of liquid; extremely thick juices can deteriorate the wicks or atomizers faster, and some devices have trouble transferring thick liquids as effectively since it is harder to wick.

This is so perfectly clearly explained, im kind of in awe. It such a common question but that is the most succinct answer ive ever seen :)

Broseybrose

Ah i see. Thanks. I did have a google before i posted but didnt come up with anything.

So yeah, a dripping atty is pretty much always the best option for flavor and vapor... they just dont have the convenience of clearos/tanks (yet). I dripped for 2 years straight and finally found the phoenix/ce3, a carto that didnt mute the flavor like the rest of the cartos/clearos i had tried. So i still stick with them. I have plenty of dripping attys, i just dont do it anymore. The difference is minimal, to me.

So yeah, a dripping atty is pretty much always the best option for flavor and vapor... they just dont have the convenience of clearos/tanks (yet). I dripped for 2 years straight and finally found the phoenix/ce3, a carto that didnt mute the flavor like the rest of the cartos/clearos i had tried. So i still stick with them. I have plenty of dripping attys, i just dont do it anymore. The difference is minimal, to me.

I like the rebuildable driping attys for two reasons -- I don't have to throw them away after however long. I can just make a new coil and wick and keep vaping. Two, they seem to hold more* juice than your standard atty.

*like 7 more drops, lol, but that's plenty for me at home*

Chopper

Ah i see. Thanks. I did have a google before i posted but didnt come up with anything.

That is amazing. The CE3s literally strip most of the taste out of some of my faourite juices. AC's Lemon Meringue Pie, for example, just tastes like biscuit in a CE3. In my IGO, it's insanely lemoney.

Yeah, dripping is always best for flavour. I've just ordered an IGO-L after I dropped a screw from my Phoenix down the sink. I'll replace it at some point, but that's all the excuse I needed to buy a new toy :p

Chopper how long did it take your Vamo to arrive?

Chopper

Yeah, dripping is always best for flavour. I've just ordered an IGO-L after I dropped a screw from my Phoenix down the sink. I'll replace it at some point, but that's all the excuse I needed to buy a new toy :p

Chopper how long did it take your Vamo to arrive?
I didn't buy from there. I was too lttp. That thread suggests everything from a week to four weeks though. The price is good though.

Chopper

I might buy a second for my girlfriend. She wants to get into vaping, and I'm pretty sure she could beat a potential rapist to death with it. Good stuff.

What drip tips do you guys use? I bought a big stainless steel motherfucker for my Vamo for fun. It's nice, but I don't really like it touching my teeth so couldn't use it on the go. Ideally I'd like something I can close my lips over more like the rubber CE3 tips, but a bit bigger, and not rubber. And nothing like the T3 tips. At all. They're awful.

str8-h4x

I really like the "knuckle" style tips that basically rotate to different angles. They come in plastic *cheap plastic* as well as stainless. My cousin has some kind of glass tip that they call a "trippy tip" around here because it's kind of got a marble like pattern in them, it feels pretty nice.

Anything but rubber!

Zeth

Everything I want is sold out, Chinese new year must have really hurt a lot of vendors. Looking for Vivi Nova heads/Kanger T3s, none of my usual sites have stock.

Tried a Kanger T4 recently. Slim 1ml top-coil. Not good. Maybe I got a dud though, will try another before I declare it crap.

I think I'm completely done with top-coil clearo's after my success with the CE3's/Kanger MT3's. No other cheap, disposable clearo has compared and bottom feeding is the one thing they both have in common.

In my experience, yes. I'm not a big fan of the Vivi Nova. It was fun for a bit when it was my first attempt at rebuildable heads, but I haven't touched it in over a month. If I want to mess with a rebuildable I'll use my superior Phoenix and IGO-L (when it arrives) and if I want stock heads and convenience I'll choose CE3/Kanger T3 every time.

Chopper

In which case, I won't bother with it. My next step is to test some carto tanks. I need something "portable" for my more....intricate juices. Glad to see you've ordered an IGO. Will be interested to see how you find the taste compares between it and the CE3s.

The Vivi Nova can be great with an SS wick, but it's inconsistent (which I put down to the top coil design) and it's a fuss to rebuild over something designed to be rebuilt, which is why I don't bother with it anymore. I'm sure the IGO will handily produce better flavour/vapour than the CE3's, my Phoenix does and my cheap £5 disposable Bauway dripping atty does. There isn't a better vape than dripping in my experience, you just have to put up with the inconvenience for it.

I tried just about every possible combination and just about every one of them has a catch. eventually I just resorted to dripping.

I use the 901 atomizer. Drip a few drops and it's like a half cig worth of vaping.

The good news is I haven't really had a cigarette since I started vaping about a year ago.
Anyone have any other better solutions?

caramac

At this point Rawr's Cinnamon Strapple and Grants Vanilla Custard are my preferred juices.

I'm also preferring the CE3's over the Kanger MT3. To me they seem more consistent in the flavour department.

Oh yeah and more importantly I'm into my third week analog free.

Top Bottom