• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official E-Cigarette Thread Of F#ck Analog Cigarettes

MickeyPhree

I bought the blu starter kit three weeks ago. It's obviously working...havent touched a regular cig the whole time.

Also the need for nicotine is honestly lessening.

abstemious

Neo Member
What does changing the voltage on a ecig do?

Adjusts the quality if your vape. All atomisers have different resistances, so they need more or less electricity to get an optimum vape. Have a look at the chart here to see how resistance and voltage changes affect things:

Http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9dkanCt0I1qc8949o2_1280.png

In practice you don't really need to worry about the numbers. Just fiddle with the voltage until you find your sweet spot. Also note that the resistance of the coil changes over time so you can tweak the voltage a little if you notice your ecigs isn't hitting as hard.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
I'm not a regular smoker, but my wife and I sometimes smoke a cigar or cigarette. We might smoke twice a month, but rarely more than that. We do enjoy it though, and today we started talking about investing in an ecig setup and ordering no-nicotine juices that we might smoke with a bit more frequency. With that background, I have a couple of questions:
  1. Is there are starter set (or individual pieces) that you would recommend for irregular smokers? We don't need extremely long battery life, we just want a good experience when we do smoke.
  2. Are all the vape stores about the same when it comes to no-nicotine juice? Are there some you would recommend in particular for that need?

I can wing it from the details in the OP alone, but just thought I'd check before placing an order.

daw840

I'm not a regular smoker, but my wife and I sometimes smoke a cigar or cigarette. We might smoke twice a month, but rarely more than that. We do enjoy it though, and today we started talking about investing in an ecig setup and ordering no-nicotine juices that we might smoke with a bit more frequency. With that background, I have a couple of questions:
  1. Is there are starter set (or individual pieces) that you would recommend for irregular smokers? We don't need extremely long battery life, we just want a good experience when we do smoke.
  2. Are all the vape stores about the same when it comes to no-nicotine juice? Are there some you would recommend in particular for that need?

I can wing it from the details in the OP alone, but just thought I'd check before placing an order.

IDK....I'd still recommend the Ego twist battery. But if your not concerned with battery life you could check out the 400 mAh version

http://www.gotvapes.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1197

As for the clearomizer just get a pack of the Phoenix ones in the OP, or you can look into a drip tip.

edit: That battery is actually a Vision Spinner....I don't have experience with them but a lot of people in this thread seem to like it.

abstemious

Neo Member

I'd order essentially what antitrop ordered - see above on this page. Kanger clearomiser (Evod or MT3/T3) and a cheap battery with a low mAh rating. Can't help you with the no-nic juice as I have no experience with them.

Zeth

How difficult is it to rebuild the T3s? I have a bunch of bases/atomizers and now I have some wick/coil, so I'm looking into it.

My first attempt with the IGO-L didn't go so well. Seemed to taste pretty bad, might need extra breaking in? Used Kanthal, so I'll try Nichrome next. 60ml of my favorite juice ever coming this week, Malty Toffee from Backwoods Brew, so I'm hoping to get it working well because it's too thick for other devices.

abstemious

Neo Member
How difficult is it to rebuild the T3s? I have a bunch of bases/atomizers and now I have some wick/coil, so I'm looking into it.

My first attempt with the IGO-L didn't go so well. Seemed to taste pretty bad, might need extra breaking in? Used Kanthal, so I'll try Nichrome next. 60ml of my favorite juice ever coming this week, Malty Toffee from Backwoods Brew, so I'm hoping to get it working well because it's too thick for other devices.

It's a bit fiddly but it's a case of just having a go. There are plenty of videos on Youtube:

http://youtu.be/KFZqjRfLIJc

goober

What's the difference between an atomizer and a cartomizer/clearomizer?

edit: I'm asking because, in my research, I heard that cartomizers can cause the flavor to be lost unlike atomizers. Is this true?
And for atomizers, do you have to refill more often?

abstemious

Neo Member

edit: I'm asking because, in my research, I heard that cartomizers can cause the flavor to be lost unlike atomizers. Is this true?

I think you might be mixing up your terms a little. The atomiser is the part of any set up that creates your vapour. A carto is an atomiser plus stuffing to hold the juice. A clearomiser is an atomiser plus a tank. Taste is always a pretty subjective thing but I felt cartos gave me a bit a weird taste when I used them as the atomiser also seemed to heat up the wadding material.

I think you have also been reading about rebuildable atomisers (sometimes called RBAs or attys), which come in many forms and styles. Some people will tell you that the best flavour possible will come from a genesis style rebuildable that uses a stainless steel wick to draw juice from a tank. Others will tell you that silica wicked devices are best. Some people say don't use anything with a tank and get a dripper. There is a huge amount of kit out there for different budgets and everything has its own devotees.

As for whether you need to refill an atty more, it completely depends on the style. A kayfun can be set up with various extension chimneys to hold about 15ml I think. On the other hand a dripper will only hold 10 drops of juice and you will constantly be dropping more juice on to it.

xTOOLx

Anyone here have HBP/hypertension and use E-Cigs?

I have HBP and all the info I have seen regarding how it would affect me has been conflicting. I used to smoke cigs but had to stop because of past health issues.

Looking for first hand testimony.

Yea stick away from anu discussions about RBAs and DRIPPERS.

The atomizer is the heating elements. The cartridge holds the juice. A cartomizer combines the two into one unit.

Broseybrose

Yea stick away from anu discussions about RBAs and DRIPPERS.

The atomizer is the heating elements. The cartridge holds the juice. A cartomizer combines the two into one unit.

And these days clearomizers are where its at.

Also bridgeless atomizers for direct dripping are always nice.

Zeth

No luck with the IGO-L. I think I might be using too many wraps on my coil. It appears to be a relatively thin gauge. This is the coil/wick I'm using. I'm thinking I should try one with just 2 or 3 wraps. I'm using standard 2mm silica wick folded over once. Of course it could just need more breaking in, but it tastes kind of bad. The resistance might be too high.

I get my CE3s from VaporAlley.com

I'll check it out, thanks

No luck with the IGO-L. I think I might be using too many wraps on my coil. It appears to be a relatively thin gauge. This is the coil/wick I'm using. I'm thinking I should try one with just 2 or 3 wraps. I'm using standard 2mm silica wick folded over once. Of course it could just need more breaking in, but it tastes kind of bad. The resistance might be too high.

There's nothing magic about the coils in any other device, you can replicate them so just keep at it and you'll get there. Your wire does seem thin though. I use 0.20mm.

abstemious

Neo Member

Have you got a multimeter to measure the resistance? What do the coils look like when they light up? Do they light up evenly?

Zeth

I don't have a multimeter at the moment. Do I want more wraps or less for thinner nichrome? I always get confused. I'm going to have to go at it tomorrow and make a few until I get it right, because I'm running out of other stuff soon.

abstemious

Neo Member
I don't have a multimeter at the moment. Do I want more wraps or less for thinner nichrome? I always get confused. I'm going to have to go at it tomorrow and make a few until I get it right, because I'm running out of other stuff soon.

Thinner wires have higher resistance so if you want the same ohms you need less coils.

For the few dollars a multimeter costs it really is the best vaping investment you can make. I'm not sure I would go down to 2/3 coils without a meter to check the resistance.

kafiend

Have a look at this quick n dirty ohm per inch http://www.discountvapers.com/kanthal-a1-wire-resistance-chart/

A more complicated calculator - http://tomcatt2.com/pvapps.html

Same with any coil you make, unless you can calculate the ohms with a multimeter or directly on the device, a lot of variable voltage devices can calculate it for you. Start lowest power, work up until you like it :)

Nelo Ice

Banned
So is the option 1 in the OP the best option and affordable option as a starter kit? Looked through the thread and I also found this.

Anyway was curious since I don't smoke but have plenty of friends that do and I would like to convince them to try e-cigs to help them quit or in some cases some are already trying to quit.

Allforce

So I'm about to pull the trigger on the same thing antitrop bought above, but I have ONE more question.

When it comes to the Kanger T3 or MT3 cartomizers, are those just disposable? Like once the atomizer built into it dies I just pitch the whole thing and order another T3/MT3?

caramac

So I'm about to pull the trigger on the same thing antitrop bought above, but I have ONE more question.

When it comes to the Kanger T3 or MT3 cartomizers, are those just disposable? Like once the atomizer built into it dies I just pitch the whole thing and order another T3/MT3?

Don't toss the whole thing away, you can just replace the atomizer.
I think they are around the $2.50 mark.

abstemious

Neo Member

As has already been said you can buy replacement bases, but if you get some silica wick and kanthal wire you can easily rewire them yourself for the equivalent of a few pence. It's a bit fiddly but you can save a fair bit of money doing it.

Zeth

I was browsing GotVapes and saw these pop up as in-stock and managed to order a single one before they were gone. Just arrived today, and my first impression is that it's awesome:

tankphoenix_2.png

Phoenix Bottom Coil XL 3ml. Vapes much warmer and seemingly fuller than the regular phoenix which tends to heat up rather quickly to poor effect. I would recommend them if the size doesn't put you off.

This has been probably asked a hundred times, but anyone have any experience with those blu e-cigs? I'm really trying to save some money and want to stop smoking as much as I do now. Are these any good or is the slick advertising all snake oil. I haven't done any research, but are the blu e-cigs actually any good? Also, do you actually end up saving money if you switch to e-cigs? Like, how long does a typical cartridge or whatever last? Thanks. I've read the OP, but any advice would be appreciated. I don't really care about ordering anything super fancy, but I don't want to drop a lot of money on a blu e-cig if the product is shoddy.

Wallach

This has been probably asked a hundred times, but anyone have any experience with those blu e-cigs? I'm really trying to save some money and want to stop smoking as much as I do now. Are these any good or is the slick advertising all snake oil. I haven't done any research, but are the blu e-cigs actually any good? Also, do you actually end up saving money if you switch to e-cigs? Like, how long does a typical cartridge or whatever last? Thanks. I've read the OP, but any advice would be appreciated. I don't really care about ordering anything super fancy, but I don't want to drop a lot of money on a blu e-cig if the product is shoddy.

They're really not worth the money, no. The best disposables out there right now are the nJoy King ones, and those too aren't that great and cost more in the long run than one of the eGo setups.

If the eGo 650mAh size ecigs are too large for you for some reason, I'd consider something like those VOLT kits that are pretty close to the same size so a Blu or nJoy thing.

- For the price of a Blu kit ($50+), look around here a little more and you can get something significantly better.

- As far as over the counter disposables go, Blu does a very good job. But for most people (and especially anyone who looks around here) you will move onto something that will give you a better experience.

- I have saved tons of money by quitting analogs and vaping. I was not a heavy smoker and still spending around $70 a month on cigarettes. I'm no wheres near that a month on vaping stuff.

Welcome, and I highly recommend looking through some pages here because there are tons of FAQs that are answered every few pages.

Thanks. I'll do some research. Also, I'm not looking for a disposable. I want one that you can refill and all that. I need to research some more, because I'm unfamiliar with the terms and how these things work. Are the starter kits in the OP still a good option? I should say I'm in the U.S., so do you have to buy refills online or do they sell these things at tobacco shops.

Wallach

Thanks. I'll do some research. Also, I'm not looking for a disposable. I want one that you can refill and all that. I need to research some more, because I'm unfamiliar with the terms and how these things work. Are the starter kits in the OP still a good option? I should say I'm in the U.S., so do you have to buy refills online or do they sell these things at tobacco shops.

The starter kits in the OP are still the best place to start, yeah. I'd say option 1 in particular. They are a vastly superior experience to stuff like Blu ecigs.

There are vape shops that sell liquid but they are not as widespread as tobacco shops (which generally do not carry nicotine liquid), so most people still buy their stuff online.

Broseybrose

I was browsing GotVapes and saw these pop up as in-stock and managed to order a single one before they were gone. Just arrived today, and my first impression is that it's awesome:

tankphoenix_2.png

Phoenix Bottom Coil XL 3ml. Vapes much warmer and seemingly fuller than the regular phoenix which tends to heat up rather quickly to poor effect. I would recommend them if the size doesn't put you off.
Yeah that is definitely true though i dont know if it justifies the higher price.

I'm waiting for a sample pack from Good Life Vapor. Its total 40ml for $20 which is pretty ridiculous. The flavors sound smazing, and the Melon Boba is on PBusardo's favorite juices list so I have high hopes.

I'm also waiting for a 3.5ml take. I'm really loving the capacity of the carto/tank setup.

highrider

Banned
Blu is on the right track but the limitations of a smaller battery are annoying. I've had a good experience with the johnson creek vea. It's pretty much an ego clone with refillable cartomizers. I was a light smoker but I only spend about 30 a month for smoke juice and blank carts. It's convenient because imho jc has the best flavors on the market. It's nice to order everything from one place. Excellent customer service and fast shipping.

Wallach

I'm waiting for a sample pack from Good Life Vapor. Its total 40ml for $20 which is pretty ridiculous. The flavors sound smazing, and the Melon Boba is on PBusardo's favorite juices list so I have high hopes.

I'm also waiting for a 3.5ml take. I'm really loving the capacity of the carto/tank setup.

I've been vaping Melon Boba for five months now, still my favorite liquid. GLV is my go-to place for when I feel like trying something new, the guy is really good (though he has his whiffs too, like English Bulldog).

Well I got my four sample flavors from Good Life Vapor, tried two of them and they taste great. So flavorful, tons of smoke. And its 40ml for $20 (4 x 10ml samples) its a great deal.

The only problem is that they are 6mg and 8mg is my sweet spot. This is the third or fourth company i tried that makes a 6mg and it just doesn't feel as good on the throat to me as my 8mg juices do. I really wish this company would just make an 8mg version.

It really sucks. I'm going to try and cut in some higher strength stuff but i've tried that before and it never comes out right. I guess I can buy the 6mg version and the 12mg version of each flavor and then mix them in a separate container with specific proportions but thats a lot of work.

Any other suggestions on how to make this juice a little stronger? Maybe buy flavorless juice and cut it in?

Wallach

Well I got my four sample flavors from Good Life Vapor, tried two of them and they taste great. So flavorful, tons of smoke. And its 40ml for $20 (4 x 10ml samples) its a great deal.

The only problem is that they are 6mg and 8mg is my sweet spot. This is the third or fourth company i tried that makes a 6mg and it just doesn't feel as good on the throat to me as my 8mg juices do. I really wish this company would just make an 8mg version.

It really sucks. I'm going to try and cut in some higher strength stuff but i've tried that before and it never comes out right. I guess I can buy the 6mg version and the 12mg version of each flavor and then mix them in a separate container with specific proportions but thats a lot of work.

Any other suggestions on how to make this juice a little stronger? Maybe buy flavorless juice and cut it in?

You might be able to get him to just cut you 8mg if you contact him directly, since he only makes liquid to order. He does other on-request stuff like this, like mixing some liquids like Magic Fairy without the food coloring if you ask in the comments when you order. Send an e-mail and check with him.

On another note I finally got around to ordering from Halo today. Just picked up a 30ml bottle of Tiki Juice since it has always stuck out to me as something I think I'd like.

You might be able to get him to just cut you 8mg if you contact him directly, since he only makes liquid to order. He does other on-request stuff like this, like mixing some liquids like Magic Fairy without the food coloring if you ask in the comments when you order. Send an e-mail and check with him.

On another note I finally got around to ordering from Halo today. Just picked up a 30ml bottle of Tiki Juice since it has always stuck out to me as something I think I'd like.

Okay I just emailed him. Thanks.

Top Bottom