• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official E-Cigarette Thread Of F#ck Analog Cigarettes

Merino, I've been (mostly) off the analogues for a good few years and went through just what you did, trying to find what I liked and what worked.

I personally can't stand VG juice, just has a sickly taste. I use mostly menthol PG, and I don't worry about quality, I've tried them all over the years and found little quantifiable difference in so called quality juices. Maybe because I use menthol. Get a big selection of small 10ml bottles and just try them out, one will click.

I notice you're using a Kanger evod, I use a lot of Kanger atomizers, very solid. Do you have a variable Voltage and/or wattage battery? If not they go a long way to controlling taste, strength and dryness. I just got a Joytech eVic, after a gaffer's recomendation. Only arrived today but already loving it.

Just stick with it, I only smoke analogues maybe once every 3-4 months on a big night out. As soon as I get home the remains of the pack go in the bin and I'm back to digital. Feel loads better for it. The worst thing is you'll start to smell people who smoke, and think "WTH? I stank like that?".

Keep at it and good luck!

Merino

Merino, I've been (mostly) off the analogues for a good few years and went through just what you did, trying to find what I liked and what worked.

I personally can't stand VG juice, just has a sickly taste. I use mostly menthol PG, and I don't worry about quality, I've tried them all over the years and found little quantifiable difference in so called quality juices. Maybe because I use menthol. Get a big selection of small 10ml bottles and just try them out, one will click.

I notice you're using a Kanger evod, I use a lot of Kanger atomizers, very solid. Do you have a variable Voltage and/or wattage battery? If not they go a long way to controlling taste, strength and dryness. I just got a Joytech eVic, after a gaffer's recomendation. Only arrived today but already loving it.
Yeah I realize now that experimenting with liquids and various mixes will ultimately get me exactly what I like.

Really I find the difference between the dekang 70/30 and the koko 50/50 huge. Unfortunately now I have no idea wether it's the brand, the PG/VG mix or the mg's of nicotine that makes the difference.

I'm got 7 samples of 5ml Dekang 70/30 and just ordered another 5 samples of 5ml Zwoofs 80/20 liquid (and some more Koko 50/50 variaties aswell).

I only have the Evod starter kit at the moment. I know about the benefits of Variable Voltage battery's but I didn't have enough money to order two Twist battery's and everything else.

It'll be the first thing I'll upgrade too later this month though together with a Kanger Protank V2.

Also just unscrewed the tank the wrong way leaking e-liquid all over my desk. Guess it had to happen eventually. Will have to make sure I keep my attention on what I'm doing.

And so it arrived.

Have to admitt it's not entirely what I was expecting taste/smoke wise.
I'm struggling to get used to the taste of the e-liquid I have and the inhale/exhale is very dry/tingling on my throat.

I'm currently using Dekang Desert 12mg in 1 evod and Dekang Apple 18mg in the other.
Both have a very similar distinct taste to them (which I assume is the PG/VG I'm tasting).

I guess comming off of analogues it will take some time for adjustment and detox from all the non-nicotine additives. I also have Koko 50/50 mix to try and see if I like that better.

Best benefit I found so far though is that I'm actually enjoying drinking plain water while smoking. With analoges I always had to have some soda/juice/lemonade (bad sugars) on me due to avoid having an ashtray taste all over my mouth.

edit//
ok so yeah the Koko 50/50 6mg (Melon taste) is much much better than the Dekang stuff. Great taste, no itchy throath. Massive difference. I'm liking it ALOT.

Should I be looking for higher VG% or do I just not like the Dekang stuff?
I guess I'll order another sample pack from a different juice vendor (80/20) to see what's up.

VG juices are thicker and produce more vapor. For a good balance of flavor an vapor stick to 50/50.

Your "itchy throat" is due to the nicotine level. You have a 6mg, 12mg, and 18mg. Those are extremely different feel vapes (for me at least.) I can't feel any tickle on my throat at 6mg and 12 is too much. I like somewhere around 8mg. Anything more and it irritates my throat too much.

I just started on Saturday with a Protank II. I like it a lot, but I'm of trying out some drip tips for home use.

I'm also looking into more expensive mods with air control functions. Some seem very pricey.

Merino

VG juices are thicker and produce more vapor. For a good balance of flavor an vapor stick to 50/50.

Your "itchy throat" is due to the nicotine level. You have a 6mg, 12mg, and 18mg. Those are extremely different feel vapes (for me at least.) I can't feel any tickle on my throat at 6mg and 12 is too much. I like somewhere around 8mg. Anything more and it irritates my throat too much.
Yeah I thought it could be the nicotine. Strange though that with the 6mg I have no issue but the 12mg and 18mg are both equally harsh.

Also both the 12mg and 18mg have a weird taste that the Koko stuff doesn't have.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
It'll be the first thing I'll upgrade too later this month though together with a Kanger Protank V2.

The Kanger protank v2 is excellent, it's one of my 2 main day to day smokes. It is big though.

Also just unscrewed the tank the wrong way leaking e-liquid all over my desk. Guess it had to happen eventually. Will have to make sure I keep my attention on what I'm doing.

You'll end up with juice everywhere, I still do it now. Have a pack of wet wipes wherever you vape!

To save money try finding a battery shell that has changable internal batteries. I have a stack of useless batteries that have just died over time. It's a lot cheaper to pick up generic rechargeable batteries on ebay or wherever rather than whole new kit from the vaping stores.

Shop around, look at Chinese web sites. A lot of them rebadge the stuff they make for others and sell them cheaper. Same factory, just a different name. I buy nearly everything from there. Admittedly partly because you can't get the juice with nicotine easily here in Australia. Just order well in advance.

The best tip I can give is to make vaping the habit, buy a nice case, recharge stuff every night, at the end of a hard week reward yourself with a fresh coil. All the little things you miss about smoking will be transferred over to vaping.

Anyone here use carto tanks that can recommend one? I've been using a v4l zeus for months and love it, but the cartos are obscenely overpriced. I swore off tanks and gave away my vamo because I hate dry hits, but carto tanks seem worth a shot.

I use Boge cartos with either a Cartomator Delrin Tank or I have a Phiniac Skinny.

The Cartomator is built better.

Would you recommend a bigger battery (mod?) over a Spinner 1300mah to combine with the ProTankV2 due to size difference?

Depends if you're bothered about looks, a spinner 1300mah will do the job fine. I've found myself moving up the mAh scale, I now vape with a 2600mAh and it lasts me all day. As you start messing with voltages you'll notice the lower capacity batteries just don't last long enough.

The eVic I just got comes with a 2600mAh battery inside, but on ebay you can get batteries from china for a few bucks. So when the 2600mAh stops holding a charge I can just bung a new one in. The initial outlay will be more, I paid $99AU for the eVic. But considering how many dead batteries I have, it's worth it in the long run. Even seen 5000mAh batteries for cheap. so may try one of those.

When I started, everything was integrated, if the atomizer died you threw half the cig away, when the battery died you threw the other half away. It cost a fortune! Now I just need a battery for a few dollars and a pack of coils every few months.

That's the whole reason I got away from Blu, besides the fact it's a less pleasurable experience.

Makes way more sense to have every part interchangeable and just purchase or replace the particular piece that needs replacing

Broseybrose

For anyone interested in an APV (Advanced Personal Vaporizer) or VV/VW (Variable Voltage / Variable Wattage) device, I cannot think of a better starter mod than the Vamo V3. Its got a OLED screen, + and - buttons, plus a an ohm meter in case you want to tackle building your coils. Having an ohm meter is just generally useful IMO. Anyways, you can find the Vamo V3 battery tube alone from Fasttech for $30, and a kit with 2 fantastic Panasonic 18650 batteries and a Nitecore 2-bay charger for $50 (which is what I purchased a few months back).

My dad's vaping EVODs on eGos and I want to get him one eventually.

For anyone interested in an APV (Advanced Personal Vaporizer) or VV/VW (Variable Voltage / Variable Wattage) device, I cannot think of a better starter mod than the Vamo V3. Its got a OLED screen, + and - buttons, plus a an ohm meter in case you want to tackle building your coils. Having an ohm meter is just generally useful IMO. Anyways, you can find the Vamo V3 battery tube alone from Fasttech for $30, and a kit with 2 fantastic Panasonic 18650 batteries and a Nitecore 2-bay charger for $50 (which is what I purchased a few months back).

My dad's vaping EVODs on eGos and I want to get him one eventually.

I was actually just looking at those. I may be in the market for that or a mod. I haven't decided which direction i want to go.

I was actually just looking at those. I may be in the market for that or a mod. I haven't decided which direction i want to go.

The term "mod" usually refers to Vamo's as well.

The Vamo is a great VW/VV device. Packs tons of features. The problems for me were its weight and its aesthetic. I purchased a Sigelei Zmax V3 Telescope. Check that out, its a little more than the Vamo but I think it looks much much nicer and is also much lighter.

Now I feel bad because every time someone recommends a Vamo I go a head and shit on it. :-/

Its a good device. For the price its awesome.

Broseybrose

Also, I got a 5 bottle juice sample pack in today from a new company called nirvanavapor.com. Melon, Berry Peach, Vanilla, Green Tea, and Tobacco. Im VERY impressed with the quality of their juice/flavors. And their sample pack is a great deal. I think I paid $7 for (6) 5mL bottles. They throw an extra sample in free. 100% vg.

Merino

So I recieved some new juices today and finally able to judge better what exactly the issues was.

Had some Koko 50/50 12mg Blueberry and it's just as nice a smoke as the Koko 50/50 6mg Blueberry. So clearly it wasn't an issues with the nicotine level.

I also had a 80/20 mix from another brand (Zwoofs). Tried their 12mg Mango and although it's not as nice as the Koko Mango it's certainly ALOT better than any of the Dekang 12mg 70/30 mixes I tried.

So though I do seem to favor the 50/50 mixes the issues I had with Dekang wasn't entirely down to the PG/VG mix. I'm still not sure what it is but I'm just going to avoid Dekang from now on. Out of the 7 samples I have from Dekang 4 simply smell foul bad out of the bottle and none is as nice as the Zwoofs 70/30 mix.

Merino

c5TGR6g.jpg

My budding collection. The white capped bottles on the back are supposed to be blue (medium) while the seperate one on the right is supposed to be red (high).

Also as a reference, my ashtray which has been empty for 30 hours and counting :D

Polo67

Any one here have a nice mechical mod? I bought the beast by phemon Vaperizors and I got a Helios atomizer. This set my back 300 usd. This vaping is starting to become my new hobby

I hate having to break down an RDA after a few weeks of using it cause its finally shot. Now is the roulette of getting a new one to perform as well as the previous one did.

This crossroads i'm in with my nicotine level is really frustrating. I know my sweetspot is 8mg but not all (see 'almost none') companies make 8mg. So I'm stuck with getting 6mg and having to cut in un-flavored 12mg to bring it up. This messes up the flavor. I've tried ordering 12mg and some companies I can handle, but others have too strong 12mg. Oh well.

*EDIT: I'm a member again!!! yayy

So I broke out a fresh CE3 Clearomizer today (haven't used them in months) and filled it up and took it to work with me. Not 5 minutes after I filled it ALL OF THE JUICE poured out the bottom (battery connection) and leaked down my battery.

WTF!

I never used to have this problem before. I filled it Upside-down and everything.

Pimpwerx

Found a great e-cig shop near where I work. Nice guys too. Let u try the juices there and even offered to have one of his guys try to fix my broken ego-c. Best of all, only $5 for 10mL of any flavor with custom pg/vg and nicotine content. Gonna try supporting them until I get around to making my own. PEACE.

TCRS

Banned
Today I decided to vape again after almost two years. Still like it, but I don't have any spare catridges. I'm using my old menthol catridges for cherry liquid, but all I'm tasting is menthol.

I actually bought large Clearomizers some time ago but stupidly didn't buy the needle with it to fill them. Have to get one of those now.

Merino

So last sunday we had a family gathering and I took both my kanger evod's with me and handed one over to my dad to use for the night (cause he wasn't able to smoke inside).

As hoped (and expected) at the end of the evening he asked me to buy a starter kit for him aswell. Instead I purchased two Ego Twist battery's and two new evod's and now we both each have an evod battery and a twist battery with 2 evod clearmizers. Got him a selection of liquids to try out aswell and when I went to bring it to him today he emptied his ashray, threw out his tobacco and made me a promise we would both stop smoking together and continue to vape.

I'm sooooooo fucking happy. This is a man who smoked all his life, from 16 to 58, and whom I would never have expected to give up smoking.

What a fanastic new development this whole e-cig business. I can't even imagine how many lives are going to be saved or improved but I know my family will be much better off now thanks to it.

8th day without analogues. Thanks GAF, it wouldn't have happened without this thread!!

Broseybrose

So last sunday we had a family gathering and I took both my kanger evod's with me and handed one over to my dad to use for the night (cause he wasn't able to smoke inside).

As hoped (and expected) at the end of the evening he asked me to buy a starter kit for him aswell. Instead I purchased two Ego Twist battery's and two new evod's and now we both each have an evod battery and a twist battery with 2 evod clearmizers. Got him a selection of liquids to try out aswell and when I went to bring it to him today he emptied his ashray, threw out his tobacco and made me a promise we would both stop smoking together and continue to vape.

I'm sooooooo fucking happy. This is a man who smoked all his life, from 16 to 58, and whom I would never have expected to give up smoking.

What a fanastic new development this whole e-cig business. I can't even imagine how many lives are going to be saved or improved but I know my family will be much better off now thanks to it.

8th day without analogues. Thanks GAF, it wouldn't have happened without this thread!!

I know how you feel. Ive turned so many people onto the idea of (or actually) vaping "nicquid" in the past 3 years. My father has finally made the switch to vaping all day now that he found a flavor he likes. Hes smoking less than he ever has, so thats an improvement.

I also love that the equipment and naming has evolved to the point where you can write down for someone, "eGo Twist with EVOD clearos" along with your favorite juice vendor's web address. Its so incredibly easy to explain to new people what to get.

daw840

This makes me so very happy, you have no idea. Even though I seem to struggle on and off with analogs and digitals (lol), I am extremely happy that I have been able to touch so many people and help through getting away from tobacco. These kind of stories really hit home. Thanks for sharing and good luck to you and your pops.

Pimpwerx

Gonna take the plunge on a mod next week. Vamo V3 or MVP V2?

I like the idea of the replaceable batteries in the Vamo, so when they start losing charge, I can replace the batteries and not have to replace the entire thing. I like the MVP form factor as well as the pass-through charger.

If I get the Vamo, would it be better to just get the battery compartment for $32 and then get a certain type of battery, or is the $55 kit with the 18650 batteries a good deal on FT? PEACE.

Gonna take the plunge on a mod next week. Vamo V3 or MVP V2?

I like the idea of the replaceable batteries in the Vamo, so when they start losing charge, I can replace the batteries and not have to replace the entire thing. I like the MVP form factor as well as the pass-through charger.

If I get the Vamo, would it be better to just get the battery compartment for $32 and then get a certain type of battery, or is the $55 kit with the 18650 batteries a good deal on FT? PEACE.

Go with MVP v2.

Youll love it. The vamo weighs a million pounds.

The MVP is smaller than it looks.

the vamo V5 is out. might want to check that out.

I'd go with the SVD personally. not a fan of the box mods

also, don't order your batteries from FT. they've been stopping orders if they see there's batteries in it. id get the charger from FT and the batteries somewhere stateside. it will speed up your delivery as well

Broseybrose

also, don't order your batteries from FT. they've been stopping orders if they see there's batteries in it. id get the charger from FT and the batteries somewhere stateside. it will speed up your delivery as well

Are they still stopping packages at HK post? Last I heard, Fasttech orders are flying through HK Post like they used to.

Are they still stopping packages at HK post? Last I heard, Fasttech orders are flying through HK Post like they used to.

it's only the batteries and only if they scan and find them in the package, at which point they send it back to FT, they take the batteries out, then resend the package.

that's still the consensus as e-cig forum. considering how often people order from FT there, I'm led to believe it's accurate

Takuan

+1 SVD. I been vaping this since receiving it from FT and my twist battery is collecting dust. If you can deal with the looks and size (it's long as hell with an 18650 batt), it's a wonderful mod and a bargain at the price. I don't think I'll bother going mechanical, at the moment it seems like more trouble than it's worth.

you should check out mt baker vapors

not only are their prices amazing, but you get free juice with a purchase of $15 or more AND you can request 5mL free samples.

Pimpwerx

Interesting. Never thought about the SVD. Any particular reason you guys recommend it over the MVP? I notice the battery is replaceable like the Vamo, which I like.

I swung by a local vape shop today and held the MVP for the first time. It was the V2. It's heavier than I expected (not a big deal). Not sure the form factor quite works for extended holding. Also, the button did take more pressure to actuate than I prefer. I didn't see an SVD there. PEACE.

SVD is really a different style than the MVP. depends what type of PV you prefer. I see the benefits of the box mods, i just don't care for the look

i'd rather hold a light saber thankyouverymuch

Pimpwerx

Another question: Does the regular SVD (without longer tube) hold an 18650 or two 18350 batteries? I've watched a few reviews on it now, and think I'll go with that. I'm just trying to decide whether to get the one with the longer tube or not. If I don't need the longer tube, I'll save the money and go with the regular version. PEACE.

TheExodu5

Banned
Another question: Does the regular SVD (without longer tube) hold an 18650 or two 18350 batteries? I've watched a few reviews on it now, and think I'll go with that. I'm just trying to decide whether to get the one with the longer tube or not. If I don't need the longer tube, I'll save the money and go with the regular version. PEACE.

Mine came with both, but the shorter tubs holds it fine. I actually prefer the feel with the shorter tube.

Pimpwerx

Mine came with both, but the shorter tubs holds it fine. I actually prefer the feel with the shorter tube.

Sweet. Gonna be hard to hold off for another week, but I'm trying to budget wisely, given I've been buying some stuff for boxing and home improvement. I'll be ordering an SVD with some Panasonic 18650 batts in the not so distant future. PEACE.

TheExodu5

Banned
Finally tried the Starbuzz E-Hose today. Holy shit.

No nicotine, but man it replicates shisha perfectly. The flavor and vapor production are spot on. It's really nothing like a traditional e-cig.

Shame it's so expensive and requires proprietary cartridges. Tempted to get one for movie nights with friends, but it is a pretty hefty pruchase.

Pimpwerx

Not gonna wait any longer. I'm ready to take the plunge on the SVD. Suggestions on batteries and clearos, please.

Should I go single 18650 or dual 18350s? What brand/mAh battery should I buy?

Also, what clearo is best? I prefer bottom coil. I like the look of the Ithaka and RSST. I don't mind rebuildable, as I'm about to get serious about my vaping.

Also, what's the deal with mechanicals? Why do some of you buy them? Advantages/disadvantages? PEACE.

Not gonna wait any longer. I'm ready to take the plunge on the SVD. Suggestions on batteries and clearos, please.

Also, what clearo is best? I prefer bottom coil. I like the look of the Ithaka and RSST. I don't mind rebuildable, as I'm about to get serious about my vaping.

Also, what's the deal with mechanicals? Why do some of you buy them? Advantages/disadvantages? PEACE.

you can sub-ohm with mechanical mods. they are more dangerous as you really have no protection, apart from buying a protected battery

the ithaka is extremely expensive and complicated. you could look at the magoo clone from FT. pretty nice device but probably not the best device to learn to build on.

the RSST is a decent rebuildable tank atomizer as well. a lot easier to deal with

can't really tell you what batteries to get. sorry. my SVD does arrive today

TheExodu5

Banned

Dual 18350 provides slightly better performance apparently, but I haven't been able to find any good 18350 batteries out there so that point is a bit moot. I'd just recommend the Panasonic 18650 protected batteries.

dual 18350 would just give you an hour or two more of battery life over a 18650. you wouldn't really get more "performance" as it's a regulated device

you want to make sure you WANT protected batteries. some regulated devices don't require them.

I see most people recommend IMR Efrest (sp) batteries.

TheExodu5

Banned
dual 18350 would just give you an hour or two more of battery life over a 18650. you wouldn't really get more "performance" as it's a regulated device

you want to make sure you WANT protected batteries. some regulated devices don't require them.

I see most people recommend IMR Efrest (sp) batteries.

PBusardo did show in his review of the SVD that the output was a bit better with dual 18350.

Pete Rock

If you are going to run a mech with an adjustable tube I would recommend any IMR chemistry Li-ion cell with protection circuit. It generally doesn't matter if they are 65 or 70mm and the circuit will be better than nothing if you have a short or something else go wrong. AW's tend to top out around 2000mah so if you want bigger capacity you need to look into the various Panasonics, or Orbtronics which are really just re-branded Panasonic cells from what I understand. These are generally available in 2900-3400mah range but also tend to vary slightly in width and length, whereas AW are always the same.

Also, what clearo is best? I prefer bottom coil.
If you are going into a nice VV mod or a mech mod forget clearomizers altogether, those really belong on ego style batteries and little else.

I like the look of the Ithaka and RSST. I don't mind rebuildable, as I'm about to get serious about my vaping.
Skip the Ithaka as your first RBA, it requires both resistance and non-resistance wires as the long connection-terminating "legs", and to do that without twist-pairing them together, you need a small gauge wire-joining device which is ~$80-100 in and of itself. It's easily the most complicated RBA with its built in juice control flow tip and would be a bad introduction even outside of those requirements.

The voltage you get will be exactly what is left in your cell, nothing more nothing less. This is why there are products like the Kick which when placed in-line give you a constant output. So when you build your coils you need to keep it oriented or optimized around the 4.2v to 3.6v spread before swapping batteries.

Also yes the sub-ohming on dual/quad coil builds, but to be honest I have found that to be a bit overhyped relative to microcoils and the performance I get out of wrapping on a machine screw for perfect spacing. Also if you do only have a mech and not a vv device with a checker, you need a multi-meter or something else to check your ohms on the build so you can be sure about what is going on before installing and firing it on your device.

To be fair, every dual coil mech mod build I've seen in person at high end vape shops are all about the drip atomizers, and they just pull the whole wick cover off and soak the entire thing, as opposed to pulling the tip and only wetting around the coil with limited access. Similarly, they drill out the air holes to 3/32nd or larger and generally add another one to the opposite side so both coils are getting more air. So personally I find this to be a large negative, as I do not carry spare juice with me and I do not want to fumble around with that stuff in my car or out in public space. Fresh wick, fresh tank, fresh battery and a spare maybe a charger for a long trip, ready to go. Also it can be precarious but not impossible to do without a drill press, although either way you need to "step up" each size hole instead of just reaming them out something fierce.

If you go with ekowool & kanthal you need a butane torch to burn off any impurities before installation. The alternative is XC-117 which is generally sold by folks who pre-bake it in a kiln for you so it's ready to go, but you still need to torch your coils red hot before putting them together. I only have experience with old style silica rope which tends to fray, so I moved to ekowool which is similar in composition but braided and hollow.

If you get a genny style atomizer I recommend a microcoil build with a 1mm ekowool u-wick pulled up through the pre-made coil after you affix it to the two terminals and position it over the wick hole. This is a very consistent process and lets you dial in rebuilds quite easily. My personal spread is anywhere from 1.8 to 2.2 ohms as based on the vape chart this range gives you a wider selection of voltages (on a vv device) where it can be adjusted without under-performing or frying the juice. I have tried up to 2.8 ohm with a few extra wraps on the screw but you need to warm up the coil for a good 5 seconds before it starts popping off "like normal" so it tends to produce a warmer vape by default.

FWIW dual 18350's leave you with 7.4V output, it's not just the extra paired mahs. I have only seen one atomizer which requires this and it is not designed for nicotine liquid.

Top Bottom