• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official E-Cigarette Thread Of F#ck Analog Cigarettes

Not gonna wait any longer. I'm ready to take the plunge on the SVD. Suggestions on batteries and clearos, please.

Should I go single 18650 or dual 18350s? What brand/mAh battery should I buy?

Also, what clearo is best? I prefer bottom coil. I like the look of the Ithaka and RSST. I don't mind rebuildable, as I'm about to get serious about my vaping.

Also, what's the deal with mechanicals? Why do some of you buy them? Advantages/disadvantages? PEACE.

A lot of good info in the post right above me.

Stay away from Ithaka.

I don't think you will like a Genesis-Style rebuildable (RSST, Aga-T, etc.) They require "tipping" and thats gonna piss you off.

If you want to get into rebuildables, get an IGO-W. You will never find anything bad said about the IGO-L, except the posts that you screw your wires into. The IGO-W added holes in the posts which makes building coils 1000x easier. And theres 3 posts in there in case you want to do dual-coils down the road. Don't go spending $75 on a rebuildable before you experiment with something cheaper, like the IGO-L or IGO-W which can be found for less than $15 and arguably perform just as good.

If you havent tried the iClear30 yet, get that. There is a new version out also.

Pimpwerx

Damn! Very helpful responses, as expected. Sorry I can't reply to all of you, but I read everything. I need to process a bit of it, and look around now for the right tank to get. I feel pretty set on the Panny 18650 battery now, which I can find on Amazon easily, but gonna have to do more research into the tanks. Watch some reviews and stuff.

I thought about the iClear30, but heard there was also tipping involved with that. I'm not a big fan of that, which is why I was in such a hurry to get an EVOD (got two more already on the way). I want to place my order tonight, so I'll let you guys know what I decide on. So far, SVD + Panny batts. I appreciate the suggestions. Anymore advice on tanks is plenty welcome. PEACE.

Agree on the Protank 2. Now, it doesn't hit as amazing as I'm sure an RBA would (at least mine doesn't) but it's hassle free, quality made, and best of all.. it's the only device I've ever had that's been 100% leak free. I've had it for about a month. Every other carto, clearo, or tank that I've had has had some issue with leaking at some point. Hasn't happened so far with the Protank.

Edit: Also worth noting the Protank and Protank 2 are bottom coil, so no tipping necessary to get it to wick.

Wallach

I've spent more time with the iClear 30 now and honestly I still think it's junk. Go with the ProTank 2. Speaking of which, I saw that the PT3 is coming this year, and they're switching to dual-coil heads (maybe something to do with the Aspire).

Broseybrose

Agree on the Protank 2. Now, it doesn't hit as amazing as I'm sure an RBA would (at least mine doesn't) but it's hassle free, quality made, and best of all.. it's the only device I've ever had that's been 100% leak free. I've had it for about a month. Every other carto, clearo, or tank that I've had has had some issue with leaking at some point. Hasn't happened so far with the Protank.

Edit: Also worth noting the Protank and Protank 2 are bottom coil, so no tipping necessary to get it to wick.

Also worth noting that the replacement heads they sell for the Protank are identical to the replacement heads for the EVODs he already has! Last time I bought replacement EVOD heads, they were labeled as "for Kanger EVOD or ProTank".

Pimpwerx

Another quick question. The SVD manual says to use unprotected batteries. Will protected ones cause trouble with misfires and whatnot? I'm gonna order the batteries now from Amazon so I don't have to deal with getting them rejected by customs. PEACE.

daw840

Mother FUCK. The very bottom piece of my Vamo, the piece that has the spring that connects to the battery, just split in HALF! Broken, nothing I can do to fix it. Can you buy replacement pieces? I may just go up to KCVapes tomorrow and get a box mod....IDK

Tuvoc

I've spent more time with the iClear 30 now and honestly I still think it's junk. Go with the ProTank 2. Speaking of which, I saw that the PT3 is coming this year, and they're switching to dual-coil heads (maybe something to do with the Aspire).

Oh man, if I could have the ease of the PT2 with the flavor hit of a DCT i'd be in heaven!

Pimpwerx

Ordered the SVD and some unprotected Panny 3400 batts from FT, since the SVD has protection built-in. Also ordered a Nitecore i2 charger off Amazon. Held off on a new clearo since I have 2 EVODs incoming with a 5pack of 1.8ohm replacement heads (I like the hit off the 1.8s more than the 2.5s).

Is the Protank3 the same as the Unitank? If so, I might go ahead and order that sometime next week, if the reviews are good. I like the idea of the PT, since it uses the same coil heads as the EVOD, so I can just stockpile a bunch of replacements that are interchangeable. However, I do want a bigger tank to use on the mod, while reserving the EVODs for the eGo spinner I'll use on the go. PEACE.

Wallach

Is the Protank3 the same as the Unitank? If so, I might go ahead and order that sometime next week, if the reviews are good. I like the idea of the PT, since it uses the same coil heads as the EVOD, so I can just stockpile a bunch of replacements that are interchangeable. However, I do want a bigger tank to use on the mod, while reserving the EVODs for the eGo spinner I'll use on the go. PEACE.

It uses the same heads, but it's not the same design. It's modified so that you can fill it from the top instead of the bottom, which requires a slightly more complicated build (there's basically a spring and an additional bit you have to remove to take it apart and change the head out). It's also not a glass tank like the ProTanks are, so there are some juices you can't use with it.

I'm speaking just about the UniTank there compared to the current ProTanks. I have no idea if the DC heads for the ProTank 3 will work in the older models.

Ahh ok. My mistake. I ended up looking into the Aspire and.. while the reviews on it's vape and taste are great.. I think I'll wait to see what the word is on these PT3's. If they can supply something like a substituted base that fits these new Aspire BDC heads then that would be perfect. We'll see though.

Joe

how do you guys feel about the Joyetech EVIC?

also, where would be the cheapest place to get a legitimate Vamo kit (or any other mid-tier mod)? Shipping time isn't a problem if it's a good price.

how do you guys feel about the Joyetech EVIC?

also, where would be the cheapest place to get a legitimate Vamo kit (or any other mid-tier mod)? Shipping time isn't a problem if it's a good price.

For the price of the EVIC, there are much better options.

What do you guys think of the Innokin iTaste MVP? Seems pretty cool, and nice form factor. Looks less like a dildo...

I LOVE LOVE my MVP. Get it the new version, v2. Such a cool device.

abstemious

Neo Member
A lot of good info in the post right above me.

Stay away from Ithaka.

I don't think you will like a Genesis-Style rebuildable (RSST, Aga-T, etc.) They require "tipping" and thats gonna piss you off.

If you want to get into rebuildables, get an IGO-W. You will never find anything bad said about the IGO-L, except the posts that you screw your wires into. The IGO-W added holes in the posts which makes building coils 1000x easier. And theres 3 posts in there in case you want to do dual-coils down the road. Don't go spending $75 on a rebuildable before you experiment with something cheaper, like the IGO-L or IGO-W which can be found for less than $15 and arguably perform just as good.

If you havent tried the iClear30 yet, get that. There is a new version out also.

I'm not sure what you mean about tipping. A properly set up genisis will wick well without having to invert it or anything like that. You only tip it in so far as you put it at a natural angle for putting in your mouth. Many genisis atty would actually flood if you tipped them up past horizontal. A genisis should be used as in this video review of an AC9 (the atty the RSST was based on):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymh0AFRAC64&t=9m9s

The Igo L or W would be a great first rebuildable but definitely try out a genisis if you can. Dripping with silica is good for trying juices, but a genny is a better vape IMHO.

I'm not sure what you mean about tipping. A properly set up genisis will wick well without having to invert it or anything like that. You only tip it in so far as you put it at a natural angle for putting in your mouth. Many genisis atty would actually flood if you tipped them up past horizontal. A genisis should be used as in this video review of an AC9 (the atty the RSST was based on):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymh0AFRAC64&t=9m9s

The Igo L or W would be a great first rebuildable but definitely try out a genisis if you can. Dripping with silica is good for trying juices, but a genny is a better vape IMHO.

If by "properly set up" you mean drilling out the airhole and not using thicker juices, then yeah there shouldn't be any tipping.

But Boba's Bounty (100% VG), 2mm silica, and standard air hole size requires tons of tipping for me.

And PIMP has already expressed his distaste for any type of tipping. So I wouldn't recommend a genny for him.

abstemious

Neo Member
If by "properly set up" you mean drilling out the airhole and not using thicker juices, then yeah there shouldn't be any tipping.

But Boba's Bounty (100% VG), 2mm silica, and standard air hole size requires tons of tipping for me.

And PIMP has already expressed his distaste for any type of tipping. So I wouldn't recommend a genny for him.

Try SS cable or #500 mesh to help with the wicking of thicker juices. If you're using silica in a genisis, you're doing it wrong.

There is never any need to drill air holes. A 1.2mm air hole or smaller still gives plenty of vapour. Going bigger really starts to reduce flavour in most cases.

Joe

fasttech prices are cheap! are they legit?

i want a vamo, but like already mentioned a lot of mods look like dildos :( it might be the reason i just go with the itaste mvp or something similar aesthetically wise

abstemious

Neo Member
Depends what you mean by legit. They have been accused of selling knock-offs by some companies (here's an example), but who knows the truth with that. You will get what you order though, although I would view such cheap stuff as essentially disposable as it may not last that long.

Pimpwerx

FastTech is legit. They apparently buy some items through a shell company to circumvent pricing rules. They sell some knockoffs but a lot of legit stuff too. The SVD I ordered is the real deal, just priced below what Innokin sets as MSRP. PEACE.

daw840

My fast tech Vamo sucked ass. It disintegrated after less than six months. I can't speak to the rest of their products.

Try SS cable or #500 mesh to help with the wicking of thicker juices. If you're using silica in a genisis, you're doing it wrong.

There is never any need to drill air holes. A 1.2mm air hole or smaller still gives plenty of vapour. Going bigger really starts to reduce flavour in most cases.

I refuse to get into blow-torching anything.

I bought the genny knowing I would be using silica only. It performs phenomenally, just not consistantly. The next time I build one I will use a juice that isn't 100% VG.

DaFish

I refuse to get into blow-torching anything.

I bought the genny knowing I would be using silica only. It performs phenomenally, just not consistantly. The next time I build one I will use a juice that isn't 100% VG.

I think we covered this before, but you can skip torching anything and just use the "pulse" method and just place the SS wick in the Atty and slowly pulse the coils to get the carbon build-up onto the wick and sort out the shorts.

Joe

Depends what you mean by legit. They have been accused of selling knock-offs by some companies (here's an example), but who knows the truth with that. You will get what you order though, although I would view such cheap stuff as essentially disposable as it may not last that long.

FastTech is legit. They apparently buy some items through a shell company to circumvent pricing rules. They sell some knockoffs but a lot of legit stuff too. The SVD I ordered is the real deal, just priced below what Innokin sets as MSRP. PEACE.

My fast tech Vamo sucked ass. It disintegrated after less than six months. I can't speak to the rest of their products.
thanks my dudes. gonna pull the trigger on a MVP2, seems to be legit and a good mod!

abstemious

Neo Member

I don't do it myself as it isn't difficult to oxidise a wick with a cigarette lighter but if you want to try there is not to much to the pulse method. Here's an example by Doc Dave. You literally just pulse your mod until all the coils light up evenly.

If you want to try it you'll need a mech as regulated mods won't fire with an unoxidised wick. Kanthal is also recommended as it's a bit more difficult to pop a kanthal coil. I wouldn't use a fully charged battery for this either.

A lot of people that use unoxidised wicks use the Petar K method where you wrap your coil first and then slide an unoxidised wick in after, so it might be worth looking up some examples of that too on youtube.

DaFish

I don't do it myself as it isn't difficult to oxidise a wick with a cigarette lighter but if you want to try there is not to much to the pulse method. Here's an example by Doc Dave. You literally just pulse your mod until all the coils light up evenly.

If you want to try it you'll need a mech as regulated mods won't fire with an unoxidised wick. Kanthal is also recommended as it's a bit more difficult to pop a kanthal coil. I wouldn't use a fully charged battery for this either.

A lot of people that use unoxidised wicks use the Petar K method where you wrap your coil first and then slide an unoxidised wick in after, so it might be worth looking up some examples of that too on youtube.

There you go, thanks for posting it.

Joe

anyone know a fast shipping vapor store that accepts paypal as payment? i won't have a debit card until mid week and i need supplies.

Joe

MVP Ver. 2's are ~$50 shipped on eBay for anyone interested.

You'll get it 3-5 days for $5 more than Fasttech

Pete Rock

Eh, that's the thing I like about RBAs, you can use whatever works best for you and it will probably evolve over time. I tried the ceramic wicks, I tried SS mesh, and for me the ekowool u-wick performs significantly better for the life of the coil while also being much easier to rebuild. My clouds of vapor taste all sorts of right, so I've been enjoying being "wrong" for three months now. I would say the same thing about microcoils with 28G wrapped on machine screw threads versus manually wrapped 32G, it's a huge shortcut and massive time saver that all but eliminates hot spots and screwing around with spacing while intermittently firing the coil. The most advanced SS mesh rebuilds I've seen use a sleeve of ekowool over top the roll of mesh, as a wick layer around it and underneath the coil.

As long as your doubled over wick (ie 1mm x 2) isn't larger than your tank hole (ie 3mm) it wicks exceptionally well and requires just as much tipping as mesh. I can pull to the full 16 second cutoff on my ProVari and never get a hot spot, scorched, dry or otherwise nasty hit, all day long and for the life of the coil before buildup gets too funky and it needs to be ripped out. However if I try this same setup with 2mm wick doubled over or a single 3mm wick it jams up the hole and does not work well at all.

You can use microtorches for a lot of different things, soldering, creme brulee, etc. Same reason I like mods instead of boxes with built in batteries, you can use 18350/650 cells in flashlights and other devices so it's not just a single application purchase. If you use a normal bic lighter it will leave carbon residue on everything.

The important thing is you find what performs appropriately for you and keeps you off analogs, which are really the only "wrong" in the equation.

daw840

Just got mine today, with iClear30. Can't to charge it up and try it out.

Does anyone know if I can use my eGo wall charger for the MVP?
I just use a cellphone wall adapter for mine. Not sure if the ego wall charger has a different voltage regulator.

Joe

I just use a cellphone wall adapter for mine. Not sure if the ego wall charger has a different voltage regulator.
cool thanks! Used my cell phone charger and it charged tonl full in about an hour...hopefully it comes with some charge and mine isn't defective because that seems a little too fast to fully charge.

also the voltage button seems wonky, after hitting it and letting the puff counter pass half the time the voltage button does nothing and the led turns off.

daw840

cool thanks! Used my cell phone charger and it charged tonl full in about an hour...hopefully it comes with some charge and mine isn't defective because that seems a little too fast to fully charge.

also the voltage button seems wonky, after hitting it and letting the puff counter pass half the time the voltage button does nothing and the led turns off.

Hmm, that's odd. Mine you just hold the "P" button to see the puffs then it switches to adjust the wattage, or you hold the "U" button to adjust the voltage.

Also, mine was damn near full charged out of the box, so that's probably why it was so fast.

Joe

Awesome, thank you! Yes holding the buttons works fine, I was just pressing them.

I've only taken a few puffs and I can already notice a little better flavor and better puffs compared to my ego twist at the same voltage.

I'm going to take note over the next couple days to see if it is a legitimately better smoke or all mental. Either way the huge battery life is going to be worth it alone.

Broseybrose

Awesome, thank you! Yes holding the buttons works fine, I was just pressing them.

I've only taken a few puffs and I can already notice a little better flavor and better puffs compared to my ego twist at the same voltage.

I'm going to take note over the next couple days to see if it is a legitimately better smoke or all mental. Either way the huge battery life is going to be worth it alone.

There are three factors at play in your overall vape experience. One is you're now using a regulated high quality APV as your power source. You've got VV/VW and an ohm meter. This is important, but pretty basic.

Just as large a part in the overall vape experience is the atty, clearo, tank, whatever you're using with your new power source. IMO an RDA gives the best flavor and vapor out of all of these options, but they're very advanced and dripping can really only be done in a leisurely setting. Which is why every vaper is on the quest for the perfect clearo/tank, for the convenience. Im still using EVODs when I really have to travel light. But at home, I go back and forth, occasionally dripping, occasionally puffing my EVODs on my VAMO.

Third and final factor to consider is your juice. That is something so subjective that all you can do is try all kinds of different flavors from reputable juice vendors (which there are plenty of) to see what floats your boat the most!

Good luck and happy vaping!

Wallach

So I am trying the iClear 30 with yet another head - I think my third one so far - and this one is a totally different experience. There's actually a lot of flavor going on here with Boba's this time, and the throat hit is where it should be. These things must have wicked inconsistent head problems, because the first two were absolute crap.

Broseybrose

So I am trying the iClear 30 with yet another head - I think my third one so far - and this one is a totally different experience. There's actually a lot of flavor going on here with Boba's this time, and the throat hit is where it should be. These things must have wicked inconsistent head problems, because the first two were absolute crap.

Bummer. Every replacement EVOD head ive come across is on the money, probably because they are for ProTanks too.

Wallach

Bummer. Every replacement EVOD head ive come across is on the money, probably because they are for ProTanks too.

Yeah, I've only had one Kanger head be a bust in all the ones I've gone through. I will say though that this particular iClear 30 head is bringing out a little more of Boba's than any head I've put in my EVODs (which I pull the floating wicks out of). I'll be interested to see how the dual coil heads coming from Kanger stack up.

Joe

There are three factors at play in your overall vape experience. One is you're now using a regulated high quality APV as your power source. You've got VV/VW and an ohm meter. This is important, but pretty basic.

Just as large a part in the overall vape experience is the atty, clearo, tank, whatever you're using with your new power source. IMO an RDA gives the best flavor and vapor out of all of these options, but they're very advanced and dripping can really only be done in a leisurely setting. Which is why every vaper is on the quest for the perfect clearo/tank, for the convenience. Im still using EVODs when I really have to travel light. But at home, I go back and forth, occasionally dripping, occasionally puffing my EVODs on my VAMO.

Third and final factor to consider is your juice. That is something so subjective that all you can do is try all kinds of different flavors from reputable juice vendors (which there are plenty of) to see what floats your boat the most!

Good luck and happy vaping!

Thanks for the post!

I have a DBox Puritank coming in the mail tomorrow. Not many reviews on it but it seems to be a ProTank2-like device.

Also have a bunch of flavors from Mt. Baker Vapor coming in. Can't wait to try the new setup. My Vivi Nova with an old wick on it is performing pretty good considering it performed like crap on the eGo-C.

This is probably a silly question but the juices I ordered are 20/80 with 4 extra shots of flavor. Do the extra shots of flavor change the pg/vg balance?

Daedalux

Neo Member
Guys, I've been lurking around this thread and I have some questions for you.

I have never tried e-cigarrettes, but I'm thinking about stopping smoking.

Do these cigarrettes help?

Top Bottom