• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official E-Cigarette Thread Of F#ck Analog Cigarettes

dream

Gotta try and help a Kings fan!

Those all look overpriced to me. Of course, I'm not in Canada and I'm not up on the exchange rate. You may be able to find US vendors that ship to Canada, I have no idea. If so, you have much better options. But in a few minutes of poking around, I found this. It's the Kanger EVOD kit from a Canadian vendor at a better price. The small-ish 650 mAh batteries would kinda bug me, but the EVOD "clearomizer" (the top part that contains the juice and the coil that vaporizes it) is a great unit. The price still looks high to me, but better than your original link. You'd have to wait for the mail, though. Also, keep in mind that I don't know anything about that vendor. If you want actual, concrete info from fellow Canadians, poke around here. That's the Canada forum at e-cigarette-forum (ECF). You'll find more detailed info there.

Best of luck.
Thanks, MrSunshine. I feel shitty about wasting your time looking up a store for me; I ended up going to the local place because I wanted a consultation on how this works, and try out some flavors.

Ended up grabbing the iTaste thing, which came with two bottles of juice. This should be interesting!

Pete Rock

So I randomly met a group of guys who are all into drippers at 0 mg. I don't vape nicotine after 4pm but sometimes I want to vape after eating dinner. I think I am going to scoop some 0mg juice and set up an RTA for night time 0mg vaping as I find it really relaxing and tasty.

The interesting thing to me was that they were all freakishly surprised that I knew everything about their devices to the point of questioning their builds down to the gauges, wraps and ohms. So we all bonded on the love of the technical nuances right away.

Similarly I asked them all if they mouth hit or lung hit and they all lung hit, so they offered it to me and I gave it a spin. "Just hit it as hard as you can, like you are trying to keep the coils cooled off with the airflow" ... I said "so, like I'm clearing a bong?" they all nodded in unison and said "yes" lol WHOOOOSH! I found this really funny because when I describe how to pull off my RTA's I say "like a sherlock, into your mouth, not like you're clearing a tube directly into your lungs". Old habits die hard.

I still don't like it as much as mouth to lung, but it was definitely very interesting and not at all as harsh as I imagined it would be. They were running 0.8 ohm dual coil builds with cotton. I also asked if their mods were legits or clones and they all kind of hung their heads in shame and said "yes, slowtech clones".

Meatfist

Best mech mod of 2014.

X3TTEdz.jpg

:D This is the exact setup I got in the mail the other day! I'm loving it. I don't know if I trust my tobh in hybrid mode though, I can't get the pin to extend out more and I worry that it'll short. Am I just paranoid?

nothing wrong with clones

seems weird they were into blowing clouds but only coiled down to .8Ω, unless each coil was down to that for .4Ω. i find you need more power for dual coil unless its a very basic build (straight 28 gauge, nothing special)

my 26 gauge wrapped with .8 flat ribbon doesn't get enough power at 30 watts to fire fast enough for a decent hit. i like to keep my OKR at 50 watts+ for that. one second pulls give a ton of vapor that I find satisfying

the plume veil has significant air flow to keep the vape warm, but not hot. i find it cooler than the magma at that wattage.

i should be able to build my raptor 120w box this week. will be going straight to dual coil at about 75 watts to see how that goes. i could see me doing the 90w range no problem

Rizific

:D This is the exact setup I got in the mail the other day! I'm loving it. I don't know if I trust my tobh in hybrid mode though, I can't get the pin to extend out more and I worry that it'll short. Am I just paranoid?

i shorted one of my vtc5s the other day by not having my pin extended below the hybrid adapter =(

Tried dropping to max VG. Ugh, the lack of lung hit is really throwing me off.

I'd like to avoid formaldehyde in my vapor as I am in training and trying to rebuild my lung capacity after years of smoking. 100% VG = no formaldehyde. Alternately, low watts = no formaldehyde. Maybe stick with PG/VG and start wrapping high-resistance coils for my RDAs. Though, it's tough for me to hit 1.5 ohms on a dual-coil build (many of my atomizers really aren't designed for single coil). Any tips on wrapping like 3 ohm coils with large surface area? Wire, wrap diameter, etc. If I do too many wraps it's hard to get my coils to touch without screwing up the whole coil (I do have ceramic tweezers).

Pete Rock

I'd like to avoid formaldehyde in my vapor as I am in training and trying to rebuild my lung capacity after years of smoking. 100% VG = no formaldehyde. Alternately, low watts = no formaldehyde.
I have never heard of this. I have heard of VG at high temperatures producing Acrolein which is very bad for you but the science on it clears that up pretty quick - (clipped from a reddit discussion:)
Acrolein is created when VG is heated up to 280 degrees Celsius, which translates to 653 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm pretty sure even dry burning coils don't usually pass 300 degrees Fahrenheit, and when wet with juice they definitely function at a lower constant temperature. And even if a considerable portion of VG turned into acrolein, I think it still would not really be a health risk- according to the World Health Organization, a "tolerable" level of acrolein that can be ingested is 7.5 mg/kg a day. To pass that threshold would require levels of vaping that I cannot imagine, and one would have to purposefully try to turn VG into acrolein to even reach that minimum amount.
What I do know from experience is that PG has a very extreme desiccating effect on certain people and not so much on others. I can't vape any juice with over 20% PG without having constant dry-mouth and a really scratchy and irritated throat. 20% is not really noticeable and I can vape it all day but if it's 50/50 absolutely no way, if I vape 3mls of that shit I will be fucked up for a day or two no matter how much water I drink. So I just stick with the veeg.

One day tobacco-free...what the fuck. This thing is just amazing.
Congrats! Keep it up and stay off the stinkies and one week, a month, six months and a year from now you will just keep feeling better and better!

I have never heard of this. I have heard of VG at high temperatures producing Acrolein which is very bad for you but the science on it clears that up pretty quick - (clipped from a reddit discussion:)

http://ntr.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2014/05/14/ntr.ntu078.full

Basically, as your wattage increases (they only show voltage but the coil resistance remains constant so obviously wattage increases), formaldehyde increases...unless you are 100% VG. I just don't know if 100% VG can satisfy me, though.

The goal is obviously to aerosolize, not cook, the juice. I wonder if the rate of wicking affects this. Maybe a 1 ohm coil is only aerosolizing the juice if the wicking rate is high enough and the surface area is high enough.

I'm not trying to spread FUD, I just want to minimize my formaldehyde exposure given that I smoked for a long time and I'm trying to treat my lungs the best possible now.

supergiz

So I'm about to go out drinking and I think I have a very strong urge for a normal cigarette. Is it possible to smoke normal cigs while out drinking and the next day feel fine going back to e-cig?

So I'm about to go out drinking and I think I have a very strong urge for a normal cigarette. Is it possible to smoke normal cigs while out drinking and the next day feel fine going back to e-cig?

Its going to be different for every person.

Personally, I haven't tried one regular cigarette since vaping and its been over a year and a half.

I don't trust myself.

Great write-up for the Skeleton Key.

This is one of the biggest mods to come out of the Vape World in a while. Absolutely gorgeous and unique locking mechanism.

Who's getting one?

Blog-Skeleton-Key-box-logo.jpg

Over the past few years vaping has undergone a drastic transformation, evolving from a small industry with simple and sometimes lackluster hardware into a global business with a plethora of both ornate and technologically advanced products. The lack of a local vape shop hardly exists anymore, as brick and mortars have been developed on what seems like every street across the nation. The upside to the saturation is that e-cig products are readily available for those who wish to transform their lifestyle and leave cigarettes behind. The downside is that many of the companies involved with e-cigs appear to have lost sight of the passion and emotional aspects that used to instill such a high level of pride amongst members of the vape community. This being said, the Skeleton Key has slyly snuck onto the scene, shining like a beacon of hope for vape enthusiasts around the world to appreciate.
blog_skeleton_key_standing.jpg

The Skeleton Key was originally conceptualized as a high-quality mechanical mod with a touch of style and nothing more. That idea was quickly discarded when the creative geniuses behind the device opted to team up with a legendary artist who they refer to as “Marquis.” This skilled gentleman is a true artist in every sense of the word: he is extremely talented, knows exactly what he likes, and has a desire for his work to carry deep meaning while stimulating introspective thought. Inspired by the passionate ideas presented by Marquis, the Skeleton Key project quickly morphed into something far greater than just another mod.
blog_skeleton_key_marquis.jpg

One of the Skeleton Key’s creators is a collector of authentic skeleton keys as well as elaborate old locks. His appreciation for the idea behind a skeleton key and its mystical properties influenced the decision to design a device around the same principles possessed by these seemingly magical keys. As a mod, the Skeleton Key was created to resemble and represent whatever you want it to. The symbology found with the device’s engravings and physical structure are not intended to be interpreted in any one correct way. Each owner of the Skeleton Key will develop their own individual thoughts as to the meaning behind the artwork and why it looks the way it does. This is one aspect that makes it such a fantastic device. Most devices either work for you, or they don’t, and that’s where the story ends. The Skeleton Key, however, is unique in its ability to invigorate the imagination.
Blog-Skeleton-Key-kayfun-setup.jpg

I don’t own a Skeleton Key, although I was lucky enough to have some time to analyze the device for myself. After being mesmerized by the intricacies of its engraved artwork, I started to get lost in the device. The longer I stared, the more captivated I was by it. Even though I am not able to use one as a daily device, I was still able to form my own interpretation of what the Skeleton Key means to me. I personally view the Skeleton Key as a gateway. With the device unlocked I am able to set myself free from the shackles of a tobacco-infested existence. It makes me feel proud to be a vaper, especially knowing that I’ll never need a cigarette again. In my opinion, the Skeleton Key is an empowering mechanical mod that has a somewhat euphoric effect since very few people get the opportunity to even hold one of these museum-quality pieces. That being said, if you become a Skeleton Key owner then you will undoubtedly form your own interpretation of the device.
Blog-Skeleton-Key-0060.jpg

Speaking of artwork, the Skeleton Key features several incredibly precise laser engravings. It would do them a disservice to try and describe them with words, but I can say that you can look closely at this mod for a long time without becoming bored. Each piece of engraved art was drawn by Marquis specifically for the Skeleton Key and there is even a “secret” engraving which will become noticeable if you have a keen eye. This is another unique feature of the device, it sparks curiosity and even after months of use you will continue to discovers things you had never noticed before.
Blog-Skeleton-Key-contacts.jpg

Setting aside all the mystery and grandeur of the Skeleton Key, it happens to also be a highly functional device. Housed within its 23mm frame are silver-plated copper contacts, the positive of which is telescopic to compensate for variations in battery length and ensure a stable connection is made at all times.
Blog-Skeleton-Key-switch-magnets.jpg

The Skeleton Key’s switch is unlike anything I’ve ever seen. The internal switch housing is constructed from brass, providing efficient conductivity. Although the switch itself is spring-loaded, the floating locking ring is powered by an innovative magnet system. This not only gives the locking mechanism an extremely fluid operation, but also allows the Skeleton Key to be locked quickly regardless of whether the ring is rotated counterclockwise or clockwise. The locking ring also has some symbolic significance since physically it resembles castle gates or windows. When closed (locked) nothing can be seen, however when open (unlocked) small engravings become visible. This is open for interpretation, but these engravings may represent more than simply an indication as to whether the device is locked or unlocked.
blog_skeleton_key_certificate.jpg

The final touches to the Skeleton Key are made by the luxurious packaging which resembles that of a high-end watch. Each elegant box also includes an engraved metal authenticity card. These are small additions in the grand scheme of things, but they solidify the feeling that when you purchase a Skeleton Key you’re getting much more than a mechanical mod alone. Upon presentation of the Skeleton Key you’ll experience feelings akin to being initiated into an exclusive club where personality is paramount and superficiality is extinct. Which I appreciate more than I can simply express. So what doors will the Skeleton Key open for you?
Blog-Skeleton-Key-mod-in-box.jpg

Skeleton Key Specifications
• Manufactured in California by Skeleton Key
• Constructed from Solid 303 Grade Stainless Steel with Brass Components
• Mechanical Device
• Silver-Plated Copper Contacts
• Spring-Loaded Bottom-Firing Switch
• Floating Magnetic Locking Ring with 360 Degree Action and Image Indicator
• Artwork Drawn by “Marquis”
• Diameter: 23mm
• Laser Engravings
• Serialized
• Battery Tubes: 18350, 18490 (Extension), 18650 (Extension)
• Engraved Metal Authenticity Card
• Luxury Packaging and Storage Box

The Skeleton Key will be available in-store and online tomorrow, August 2nd, at 11:00am PST.

Blog_Skeleton_Key_Cover.jpg

parts just came today for my 2x raptor mods

if I can get access to a drill press tomorrow, it's getting done. not sure if Ill post photos right away as Ill probably be vaping my butt off

Pete Rock

That sounds sick, I would be interested in all the details including cost analysis, I've been thinking a box mod would be my next investment and it would be a lot cooler to machine all the parts and assemble it myself. Also 100W max range sounds much more appealing than 30.

yea, no problem. I could part a parts list then if you're interested.

you might want to start with the OKR chip. less wiring and soldering. can fire 50w + no problem.

i plan on making 2 more in the next week. I really want to shrink the enclosure down and add a volt meter to it

Iacobellis

Anyone ever try juice from E-Six Vapors? They're based out of Connecticut and make some REALLY good juices. You can order online from them, too.

jdforge

Banned
Hi - I bought an unwanted kit from a gaffer many months ago, and have since got more into this vaping lark.

however - has anyone else noticed that vaping has had a bad effect on their skin? Ive been getting some really bad acne on my face, which I've never had an issue with before.

It would be good to know if anyone else has noticed anything like this?

ACE 1991

Yay New Jersey. What was the vape shop called? I've heard good things about Good Karma vapor up in that area.

No, she gave you the wrong head. The EVOD head is the same as the Pro Tank and the Pro Tank II

This is the one you need. They are right in New York so you will prolly have it tomorrow if you order it early today Click This

Your charger is fine.

I don't know what it is, but all my juices are so damn tasteless at any voltage in either of my two kangertech dual coil v2... is it the 1.8 ohm or something? Really frustrating, I have no idea what the deal is.

daw840

That looks like something you would smoke weed with honestly.

Also, it looks incompatible with all the EGO style atomizers and such. I would stay away.

Option2 in the OP is where it's at.

:)

I don't know what it is, but all my juices are so damn tasteless at any voltage in either of my two kangertech dual coil v2... is it the 1.8 ohm or something? Really frustrating, I have no idea what the deal is.

Shitty juice is shitty juice. Get some other kind.

I've tasted plenty of unknown juices that don't have any flavor.

Pete Rock

That looks like something you would smoke weed with honestly.
Yes the Atmos Rx line are for "dry herbs" aka cannabis. If you want something like that look for a good concentrate pen, it is significantly more efficient for the battery life and the medicating effect.

I have never seen a good "alternative market" atomizer that functions as well as an RBA/RDA or even a clearomizer with standard juice, so get one specifically for that as daw840 mentions.

In California you can buy PureGold which is in a liquid capsule and you just load up your normal wicking setup and vape all day. Ughhh I can't wait till it's like that everywhere.

I'm so confused. smoking is easy all you need is fire and cigarettes.
Fire at one end, fool at the other, etc. No confusion that I can see!

kafiend

Hi - I bought an unwanted kit from a gaffer many months ago, and have since got more into this vaping lark.

however - has anyone else noticed that vaping has had a bad effect on their skin? Ive been getting some really bad acne on my face, which I've never had an issue with before.

It would be good to know if anyone else has noticed anything like this?

Helpful info here but its most likely some dehydration - drink more water :)

Some people recommend upping the VG ratio in your juice. I suffer a bit from dry skin unless I put more VG in the mix.

supergiz

Anyone know any vape shops near Central Park NYC?

the lack of vape shops in this city is disgusting. Especially since you can buy analog cigs at every corner. All I need is more juice

Mine worked fine but I have a Cigreen Tobh with a super long pin.

That Skeleton Key is begging to be cloned lol. Don't like the 23mm-ness of it.

dream

Creeping up on 1 week sans cigarettes. Crazy.

I've also discovered that vanilla juice is much better in theory than in practice.

As much as I love the look, sleekness, and performance of this Copper 4Nine mod, the copper smell really does bother me. Your hands smell like you fingered the Statue Of Liberty every time you use it.

Are there any coatings or anything out there to stop this?

Think this month is my 1 year anniversary. Haven't even smoked a butt or anything ever since getting an e-cig. I can be around others smoking cigs and not even get ansy about it. Pretty sure I can officially say I'm done with cigarettes.

Heck I'm even down to 16mg on my nicotine when I started a year ago @ 24mg.

It does annoy me though that my work treats the e-cig the same way it does a regular cigarette. I just want to scream in their face " ITS JUST F'IN WATER VAPOR! "

I still smoke at my desk when I need to. F em for not giving a crap about facts.

How many replacement coils? How do i know when i need to replace a coil? What is a coil?

Your battery powers a coil (think spring) that is connected to it, it lights the coils and glows them orange.

The coil is wrapped around some wicking material. Sometimes Silica, sometimes Cotton. Your juice soaks into the wicking material, when the coil gets power from the battery it burns the juice, creating vapor. Voila.

The "replacement coil" or "head" as we like to call it, is the unit that has a coil and wicking material in it all ready to go. You will see some wicking material on the inside and some holes where the juice will go into.

You will know when to change it because the performance of your device will drastically change. You won't be getting nearly as good a flavor or vapor production as you had been previously.

Get maybe 2 or 3 replacement coils.

Anyone tried Zamplebox? Thought it'd give it a go. Shipping is pricey to the UK, but it only comes to £27 for 70-80ml of juice which is still great value (my current all day vape is £22.50 for 50ml). Obviously I don't know what I'm going to get, but that's part of the fun, they seem to use great quality juices and it's American juices that I'd likely never get to try otherwise.

TheExodu5

Banned
Think this month is my 1 year anniversary. Haven't even smoked a butt or anything ever since getting an e-cig. I can be around others smoking cigs and not even get ansy about it. Pretty sure I can officially say I'm done with cigarettes.

Heck I'm even down to 16mg on my nicotine when I started a year ago @ 24mg.

It does annoy me though that my work treats the e-cig the same way it does a regular cigarette. I just want to scream in their face " ITS JUST F'IN WATER VAPOR! "

I still smoke at my desk when I need to. F em for not giving a crap about facts.

No, it's not water vapor. It's propylene glycol + vegetable glycerin + nicotine + flavouring. While you may believe it's safe, and there's a lot of evidence out there that says it's probably safe, there are still a lot of questions to be answered before e-cigs can be deemed as harmless. Not wanting to inhale second hand e-cig smoke is perfectly reasonable.

I use mine around other people, but I ask them if they mind first.

That being said, I'll be ramping down over the next month and giving it up come September. While I do enjoy it, I feel that I don't want to be addicted to this for the rest of my life and would rather not risk my health over an unproven substance.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
What are some good e-juice? Does flux have some good stuff, since i'm ordering my aspire bdc from got vapes and they seem to only carry flux. What are some good brands/flavors that people generally like?

daw840

Anyone tried Zamplebox? Thought it'd give it a go. Shipping is pricey to the UK, but it only comes to £27 for 70-80ml of juice which is still great value (my current all day vape is £22.50 for 50ml). Obviously I don't know what I'm going to get, but that's part of the fun, they seem to use great quality juices and it's American juices that I'd likely never get to try otherwise.
A buddy of mine really likes his subscription. I use Craft Vapery personally and also like it a lot.

How has anyone here experienced quitting e-cigs? I've been smoking e-cigs pretty intensively for four months or so, and decided the other day I wanted to cut back or quit.

Been off it now for three days and I feel nothing. Once a while I'll be in a situation where I'll want to vape because of old habits, but as soon as I think "no", that's it. I have no craving for the nicotine.

Is it not as addictive as regular cigs?

h1nch

What are some good e-juice? Does flux have some good stuff, since i'm ordering my aspire bdc from got vapes and they seem to only carry flux. What are some good brands/flavors that people generally like?

One of my fav all day flavors is Hush, which is a flux flavor. It's a combination of pineapple, coconut, and a bit of caramel. It's been my all-day flavor for awhile. I tend to cycle flavors quite a bit but I always come back to hush every few months.

I'm not a big fan of the other flux flavors though.

Rizific

How has anyone here experienced quitting e-cigs? I've been smoking e-cigs pretty intensively for four months or so, and decided the other day I wanted to cut back or quit.

Been off it now for three days and I feel nothing. Once a while I'll be in a situation where I'll want to vape because of old habits, but as soon as I think "no", that's it. I have no craving for the nicotine.

Is it not as addictive as regular cigs?

ive had no desire to quit ecigs myself. but it sounds like youve reached a point where obviously you are ready to quit nicotine. my advice? go for it and quit. donate your ecig gear to a buddy who you know will give quitting cigarettes an honest effort.

made two okr-t10 devices in a smaller enclosure. it's about 30% smaller than the previous build I had. i made one for me and the other for my brother.

IMG_20140804_215503_zps2efi6kjo.jpg

you can see how small the space is above the two batteries. everything is housed in there.

my next build will have a volt meter on the side of the device as well as a 3 position switch. this will allow to test the voltage from the batteries, as well as the voltage to the atty.

hopefully my raptor will be completed next week

If you're in the UK and you have a Pro Tank, I really recommend giving the NatureVape coils a go. Can't say I've had a better tank vape from anything else. It's expensive for one coil, but they last for ages and the flavour is just magnitudes better than the Kanger coils, plus it comes with cotton so you can easily replace the wick so the coil itself will last for weeks.

Also, Mrs Lords Toffee Apple is awesome. Accurate as could be.

seriously should have the raptor done next week

after that, trying to make 2 more besides that. another in a 1590B, then going to tackle a raptor in the small box (same size as the okr)

Don't see the appeal of the P3 aside from Provari enthusiasts. For the $250-300 this will cost, you can get a quality device with much more range.

Pete Rock

after that, trying to make 2 more besides that. another in a 1590B, then going to tackle a raptor in the small box (same size as the okr)
Nice, I just looked up that model number, very interesting but not surprising to see it as an off the shelf component.

Would there be any benefit to an enclosure machined out of phenolic resin that is non-conductive? It would be trivial to knock out a "sandwich" style thru-bolted design from 1/4" sheet material.

Nice, I just looked up that model number, very interesting but not surprising to see it as an off the shelf component.

Would there be any benefit to an enclosure machined out of phenolic resin that is non-conductive? It would be trivial to knock out a "sandwich" style thru-bolted design from 1/4" sheet material.

the advantage would be that you wouldn't have to worry about your sleds and terminal ends shorting out on the enclosure. besides that it really comes down to cosmetics and the availability of the enclosure.

most people use hammond enclosures because they are cheap and easy to obtain. the boxes have a slight bevel to them. i find it best to sand them flat if you can be bothered.

Top Bottom