• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official E-Cigarette Thread Of F#ck Analog Cigarettes

Joe

712jE1F.jpg

I picked up an eleaf (joytech) istick. It's a 2200mah, 20W variable wattage mod. It is TINY. It feels way less than half the size of an MVP in the hand, and truly feels like a wider/thicker Bic lighter.

I've only used it for a little bit and it has already easily dethroned my MVP.

It's $40 online, but I paid $55 at a shop because it's sold out everywhere online.

This will be the new mainstream king.

Size comparison to my MVP. Looks a lot smaller in photo, feels a LOT smaller in hand.

Been thinking about why this thread has slowed down so much.

I think its because a few months ago all the mod clones were flooding the market and we were all out there gobbling everything up.

Each of us has stumbled onto gear that is top notch and there isn't really any reason to go buying new stuff anymore and talk about it.

Personally, I haven't bought any new setups in about 3 months.

I have 3 Kayfuns, 1 Russian. 1 Aerotank Mega, a bunch of EVODS

For mods I just use my two MVPs, copper 4nine, smoktech natural, Smoktech Magneto.

I think I have everything I'll ever need. Until a skeleton key clone comes out.

daw840

I may have fallen off the wagon. :(

I had some real stressful shit happen and picked up some analogs a while back. Gotta get back on the vape train.

Rizific

anyone have an orchid or clone? are the threads for the tanks interchangeable with kayfun tanks? i want one, but dont like that frosted tank that it comes with.

jns

Hey Gaf,

I've been thinking about getting an e-cig device for a couple of months after experiencing a friends, so I thought I'd have a read through the thread....
....and I'm confused as hell. I was hoping I could just by a reasonable starter kit, but there is so much variation between them all I have no idea which would be suitable. I understand the basic parts that are required, but honestly, other than getting 2 batteries and 2 tanks and some juice, I'm struggling a little.

I'm an Aussie and want to by local, and if anyone of you fine folks have the time, could you take a look at the starter kits from the following links and give me a suggestion? My budget is say $100 or less, unless there is something great for a little more.

Cheers in advance.

http://www.electroniccigarettelife.com.au/product-category/electronic-cigarette/starter-kits

http://www.ecigworld.com.au/electronics-cigarette-kits?pagesize=12

https://ecigforlife.com.au/ecig-starter-kits/

one more - http://www.vapeking.com.au/starter-kits/

Thanks again, and sorry for just dumping links on you all. The first post is great, but some of the brands just aren't the same I think :)

Chopper

"Starter kits" can be very hit-and-miss. They tend to be bundled with some unnecessary accessories to bump the price, whilst providing cheap, crap clearomizers that won't provide an optimal vaping experience and will require upgrading after a couple of weeks.

My advice would be to save yourself some money in the long term and buy a more durable, reputable tank that only requires you change out the atomiser heads every few weeks.

The best tanks are a debatable issue, but in my opinion, and I've been vaping a long time now, trying a huge number of clearomizers in the process, you absolutely cannot go wrong with the Kanger Aerotank (Mini). They are beginner-friendly, perform well, have adjustable airflow, which is a Godsend, and the newest version look pretty good too.

Presumably you will be using the ego type batteries pictured in those starter kits. They're fine, but do consider getting one that allows variable voltage. It's not totally necessary, but does allow some control over temperature/taste etc. Also, get two. You really don't want to be caught short when you're out and about.

The most important thing is finding the right juice though. Shop around. Buy loads. Make sure you find something you're really happy with, otherwise you'll just think "fuck it, I'm having a fag" cos you're just not enjoying it enough. It's also worth knowing, before you start, that you will never replicate cigarette smoke with vapor flavours. You'll have to find a compromise, but there are thousands of options available to you. Have fun with it.

Sorry I can't provide any Aussie links, but that's my two cents in getting started.

Edit: Link to Aerotank:

http://www.electroniccigarettelife.com.au/shop/kanger-aerotank-mini-bdc-glassomizer

Many people will recommend the Aspire Nautilus too. It's a great bit of kit, but IMO is not a good-looking tank. That might not matter to you at all, and it appears to be on sale at that site.

jns

"Starter kits" can be very hit-and-miss. They tend to be bundled with some unnecessary accessories to bump the price, whilst providing cheap, crap clearomizers that won't provide an optimal vaping experience and will require upgrading after a couple of weeks.

My advice would be to save yourself some money in the long term and buy a more durable, reputable tank that only requires you change out the atomiser heads every few weeks.

The best tanks are a debatable issue, but in my opinion, and I've been vaping a long time now, trying a huge number of clearomizers in the process, you absolutely cannot go wrong with the Kanger Aerotank (Mini). They are beginner-friendly, perform well, have adjustable airflow, which is a Godsend, and the newest version look pretty good too.

Presumably you will be using the ego type batteries pictured in those starter kits. They're fine, but do consider getting one that allows variable voltage. It's not totally necessary, but does allow some control over temperature/taste etc. Also, get two. You really don't want to be caught short when you're out and about.

The most important thing is finding the right juice though. Shop around. Buy loads. Make sure you find something you're really happy with, otherwise you'll just think "fuck it, I'm having a fag" cos you're just not enjoying it enough. It's also worth knowing, before you start, that you will never replicate cigarette smoke with vapor flavours. You'll have to find a compromise, but there are thousands of options available to you. Have fun with it.

Sorry I can't provide any Aussie links, but that's my two cents in getting started.

Edit: Link to Aerotank:

http://www.electroniccigarettelife.com.au/shop/kanger-aerotank-mini-bdc-glassomizer

Many people will recommend the Aspire Nautilus too. It's a great bit of kit, but IMO is not a good-looking tank. That might not matter to you at all, and it appears to be on sale at that site.

Wow! Thanks a lot for the reply, mate. I might try and put some things together myself and see how I go. Funny enough, all the time I spent looking at the hardware and I spent no time wondering about the juice.

Thanks again for your input :D

spyder_ur

Hey everyone - figured I'd finally chime in here.

Been vaping for a couple years now - graduated from a crappy Green Smoke kit to Egos to a few other devices like a Vmax (broken - twice) and MVP. Current gear is generally my MVP 2.0, iTaste VV 3.0 and a VV gripper - I have a couple Aerotank Megas (probably my favorite of the Clearos), a Nautilus (has anyone tried the newer BVC coils? - picked some up at a B&M shop the other day), a Protank 2, several Evods. Also of course have a bunch of old cartos and carto tanks laying around as well as a few attys - need to do a thorough inventory at some point. Might have some questions in the future about where to start with rebuildables - I haven't gotten into them yet as I've never really felt the need.

Favorite juice vendors are Ahlusion, Mt. Baker, Vermillion River, Mountain Oak - tried countless others but generally come back to those. Ahlusion's Smooth Criminal is my favorite. I'm in the market to try a couple other places if there are recommendations here though - I like tobacco blends, cinnamon roll-ish stuff, and some fruity flavors like Mt. Baker's freckled Lemonade.

My current vaping dilemma is that both my MVP and Vision spinner don't let cartos get screwed down on them. I'm pretty sure the threading is stripped. Any ideas on restoring them, or am I kinda screwed?

jns

I ended up ordering this:

Aspire Nautilus Mini BVC Glassomizer x1
Kanger Evod Twist Variable Voltage Battery (#Kanger-Evod-Twist-Silver-650mAh) x2
3ml Syringe & 18G Blunt Needle (#Syringe-&-Blunt-Needle) x1
Aspire Nautilus/Mini BVC Replacement Coils (5 pack) x1
Virgin Vapor Best Damn Tobacco Organic E-Liquid x1
Harvest Banana Bread Natural & Organic E-Liquid x1
eGo USB Charger x1
10ml Plastic E-Liquid Mixing Bottle x1

Hopefully that will have me covered for a decent start.

you wouldn't really need the mixing bottle and syringe unless you plan on getting into DIY

but other than that you should be pretty good to go. if you aren't taken with those immediate flavors, don't give up. you'll eventually land on something you really like

Chopper

Kanger Evod Twist Variable Voltage Battery (#Kanger-Evod-Twist-Silver-650mAh) x2
eGo USB Charger x1

Nice. That's about as good a starter kit as you could possible get! And keep hold of the syringes and bits. They'll prove useful for decanting juice that comes in bottles without a dripper.

Also, good call on a banana bread juice. The ones I've tried have generally been great and, most importantly, go nicely with beer!

spyder_ur

eGo USB Charger x1

Definitely a good start, much better than the gear I started with. I'd recommend getting another tank, or even a pack of cartos or an atomizer, for two reasons: first if your Clearomizer breaks and second, so you can sample other juices without having to empty your Nautilus and refill.

And try some other juices - I found when i started vaping that the flavors I expected to like because I like their real-life counterparts (i.e. sour fruits and candies, chocolate, etc.) I ended up not liking. And vice versa. But really, I know it can get expensive but the most enjoyable part for me was sampling juices and devices.

So just get a Vivi Nova and the new BVC coils that Aspire is making for the Vivi Nova. Aesthetic problem solved.

jns

Thanks for the feedback guys/gals. All the stuff arrived this morning, so Ill be up and running soon! The syringe and bottle only cost $0.50 so I got them just in case...and speaking of cases, that's something I didn't get, so I might have to look out for one. I plan to swap and change with juices for a while cause there's so damn many! I got the banana bread one because Ive been making banana bread at home for the wife, so it was a spur of the moment thing.

I picked up an eleaf (joytech) istick. It's a 2200mah, 20W variable wattage mod. It is TINY. It feels way less than half the size of an MVP in the hand, and truly feels like a wider/thicker Bic lighter.

I've only used it for a little bit and it has already easily dethroned my MVP.

It's $40 online, but I paid $55 at a shop because it's sold out everywhere online.

This will be the new mainstream king.

Size comparison to my MVP. Looks a lot smaller in photo, feels a LOT smaller in hand.

I'm interested in this a whole lot now. Sounds perfect for what I want for a pocket unit. Thanks for sharing. Interested to hear your longer-term observations.

Meh. If you say so.

Now I can use 1.4-1.7 ohm microcoils with cotton wicks in my Aerotanks, there's no going back for me.

Yeah, I did that for a long time. I've rebuilt Kangers a ton. Rebuild with cotton has way better flavor than a new silica-wicked Kanger coil. I'm busier/lazier now.

Chopper

Yeah, I did that for a long time. I've rebuilt Kangers a ton. Rebuild with cotton has way better flavor than a new silica-wicked Kanger coil. I'm busier/lazier now.
I'm monumentally busy/lazy. I just buy them in. There are a couple of vendors here in the UK that will send you badass microcoiled Kanger heads and a lifetime's supply of cotton for a few quid!

Has anyone had any problems with their Aspire BVCs not lasting long? I had a couple die within a few days.

When I would install a new one, it had very good airflow and then after 2-3 days I would barely be able to suck out a puff. The local shop said it was most likely because I was running it at 11w on the 1.8 ohm coil using 60/40 pg/vg juice on an MVP 2.0.

I have since dropped to 9w and after a day I don't notice a decline in airflow. Which is weird because I see so many reviews showing people using it at much higher wattage.

I'm almost 3 weeks in to vaping and I already want to move up to a mech mod just so I chase the big vape and have coils last longer. . Ugh. I need to temper my urges.

The bright side though is that I haven't even thought about dipping or smoking. This is the longest stretch of my adult life without any tobacco products.

Yikes. That will be too costly.

Any recommendations for good atomizers that withstand high wattage/voltage? Specifically 11w since that is what the MVP goes up to?

I liked the vapor production much more at 11w but lowering it will suffice, I guess.

120v

well i could be wrong... regulars in this thread are far more knowledgeable than i am. but that's my experience with them. i use the BDCs now and they seem to last a bit longer

it's hard to say how fast i go through them because i bought them in bulk and whenever i'm not getting the hit i want i just replace it. but at higher wattage with vaping all day 2-3 days sounds about right. since i have so many i don't really think about it much to be honest.. maybe i'm replacing them too early, i don't know

Been vaping for a couple years now - graduated from a crappy Green Smoke kit to Egos to a few other devices like a Vmax (broken - twice) and MVP. Current gear is generally my MVP 2.0, iTaste VV 3.0 and a VV gripper - I have a couple Aerotank Megas (probably my favorite of the Clearos), a Nautilus (has anyone tried the newer BVC coils? - picked some up at a B&M shop the other day), a Protank 2, several Evods.

I've been exclusively using the iTaste VV 3.0 with a Kanger Aerotank Mini for five months now and I love it. However, since I carry in my front pockets I got some #bendhazi going on - though nothing is broken I'm thinking of boringly repurchasing my old gear with the exact same stuff before my pockets randomly fill with juice. Unless someone else has some suggestions? $$$ isn't a huge factor here, however portability and maintaining variable voltage/wattage is.

0000253_itaste-vv-express-kit-30.jpeg

tank-kangertech-aerotank-mini-glass-stainless-steel.jpg

daw840

Has anyone had any problems with their Aspire BVCs not lasting long? I had a couple die within a few days.

When I would install a new one, it had very good airflow and then after 2-3 days I would barely be able to suck out a puff. The local shop said it was most likely because I was running it at 11w on the 1.8 ohm coil using 60/40 pg/vg juice on an MVP 2.0.

I have since dropped to 9w and after a day I don't notice a decline in airflow. Which is weird because I see so many reviews showing people using it at much higher wattage.

I'm almost 3 weeks in to vaping and I already want to move up to a mech mod just so I chase the big vape and have coils last longer. . Ugh. I need to temper my urges.

The bright side though is that I haven't even thought about dipping or smoking. This is the longest stretch of my adult life without any tobacco products.

If you're concerned about buying too many replacement coils, have you considered a rebuildable tank system like the Kayfun or Orchid? You could build them to work on the MVP then later when you decided to step up to a better mod you could then build them to work on that!

Furthermore, after using my mech mod for quite some time now I would almost just recommend splurging for the IPV 50W box mod. Holds 2 18650 batteries and charges them too. You can even sub ohm on it safely, though that's not really where it shines.

Full Disclaimer: I don't really like my Kayfun, but a buddy has the Orchid and that thing is fucking amazing.

daw840

Got an Eleaf. Game changer. 2200mah, 20W. Stop buying MVP2s and VV batteries. This thing is small and hits great.

yj4h2am.jpg

That is REALLY tempting for me.....

Though now that I've been dripping on a .3-.4 ohm dual coil that I have been building myself. I wonder if I could really get any satisfaction out of that setup. :/

My old tank systems do absolutely nothing for me anymore.

Joe

Can anyone recommend a tank that doesn't leak?

I've been using a dripper but I need something that I can stick in my pocket and not have to refill all the time.

All I need:
-doesn't leak
-holds at least 1.5ml of juice
-as much vapor production as possible (I know it won't be like a dripper)

I don't mind rebuilding my own coils if needed.

daw840

Can anyone recommend a tank that doesn't leak?

I've been using a dripper but I need something that I can stick in my pocket and not have to refill all the time.

All I need:
-doesn't leak
-holds at least 1.5ml of juice
-as much vapor production as possible (I know it won't be like a dripper)

I don't mind rebuilding my own coils if needed.

Have you looked at "The Big Dripper"?

Rizific

Anyone got any tips for wicking an Orchid? I'm having problems with dry hits.

edit: i seemed to have fixed it. i guess having some wick down in the juice channels wasnt working for me. moved them up out of there and ive been chain vaping it with no issues.

dream

Anyone got any tips for wicking an Orchid? I'm having problems with dry hits.

edit: i seemed to have fixed it. i guess having some wick down in the juice channels wasnt working for me. moved them up out of there and ive been chain vaping it with no issues.

Yeah, what ends up happening with the Orchid (and all the other Kayfun clones, I guess) is that having any wick in the juice channel ends up blocking it, rather than absorbing the juice.

I'm looking for something that is travel friendly/small (I fly quite a lot) and durable.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I would be buying it from one of the UK sites.

Broseybrose

I've been exclusively using the iTaste VV 3.0 with a Kanger Aerotank Mini for five months now and I love it. However, since I carry in my front pockets I got some #bendhazi going on - though nothing is broken I'm thinking of boringly repurchasing my old gear with the exact same stuff before my pockets randomly fill with juice. Unless someone else has some suggestions? $$$ isn't a huge factor here, however portability and maintaining variable voltage/wattage is.
Have you seen the new eleaf istick? Its a tiny 20w box mod.

Joe posted about it earlier this page - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131887184&postcount=4629

which inspired me to order one for myself (plus the magma atty Ive been wanting for months, thanks for the motivation Joe!)

DaFish

I'm looking for something that is travel friendly/small (I fly quite a lot) and durable.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I would be buying it from one of the UK sites.
Do you have any ecig equipment now or is this your first setup?

I'm not gonna lie, I would skip all the bullshit and get a Vapor shark DNA 30 and a kayfun lite atomizer.

Nothing better then a good vape, a beer and some dota

Rizific

Yeah, what ends up happening with the Orchid (and all the other Kayfun clones, I guess) is that having any wick in the juice channel ends up blocking it, rather than absorbing the juice.
yeah thats what i figured. i really wanted this to work. i drive a lot for work and was getting tired of constantly dripping. this thing is great and pretty much exactly what i was looking for. it hits like a dripper, but flavor still isnt as good as a plume veil. i can live with that.

Broseybrose

This looks amazing. When I first read his post I didn't realize how tiny it was.

Yeah, i just got mine in and it is amazing. I would recommend the eleaf istick to anyone. Especially at the price i got it for on ebay ($32).

Here's my army of 18650 mods with the istick on the left.

z44oLWul.jpg

I like the magma atty a lot, too. Flavor is just as strong as with the aqua.

Rizific

ipv2 (or 3?) vs sigelei 100w? looking for my first box mod. heard about some build quality issues with the ipv, havent really heard anything on the sigelei. seeing if anyone has any personal experience with these two.

dream

I haven't used the Sigelei 100 watt (and from everything I've read, it sounds like it works fine), but their 50 watt box mod pissed me off so much with its shoddy manufacturing (the 510 connector would constantly misread resistance, and I'd fire like 9 volts into a 1.6 ohm coil--and I went through 6 different units) that I'm pretty much in "fuck those guys" mode, and hope you buy the IPV 3 instead.

Chopper

Heads up to those in the UK. Vape Escape have started stocking Boba's Bounty and Gorilla Juice. I've heard an awful lot about these, so I'm quite excited about finally trying them!

Top Bottom