• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official E-Cigarette Thread Of F#ck Analog Cigarettes

Rizific

Local shop had a black Friday sale and came with with 120ml bottles of some of my favorite juice
$50 each. The Atlantis requiring purchasing replacement heads is an instant turn off for me. My go to tank is the orchid but I did wish it had a little more airflow. I like to rebuild every couple of days and I'm not spending $5 a head for that.

Chopper

Well it remains to be seen how long these heads last, but it comes packed with two. Judging by the quality of previous Aspire heads, I'd wager that's at least two months vaping. Less than £2.50 per replacement head seems like a no-brainer to me if the trade-off is titting about with rebuilding.

Chopper

I placed my order for the Atlantis yesterday...I hope the hype is real!
You'll love it. The only "drawback" has been covered here: It's not rebuildable. Also, it only has a 2ml capacity. But I only use it in the evenings, so that's a non-issue for me. If you want to use it all day, you'll need to carry some juice around. But seriously, the clouds this thing kicks out are borderline antisocial.

daw840

You'll love it. The only "drawback" has been covered here: It's not rebuildable. Also, it only has a 2ml capacity. But I only use it in the evenings, so that's a non-issue for me. If you want to use it all day, you'll need to carry some juice around. But seriously, the clouds this thing kicks out are borderline antisocial.

Ha. Well...I drip exclusively so I always carry juice around anyways...lol

Pete Rock

This idea I have isn't really fully realized by any means, but I want to bring it up for discussion to see if anyone else has any thoughts along the same lines. Most of this is divorced from the idea of nicotine satiety.

I feel that "clouds" and "cloud chasing" is appealing due to the fact that it is the "out stroke" of our pneumatic system made visible. I think we find it appealing because it is a reflection of the systematic unconscious behavior, breath, which is made apparent through the visual spectrum by way of a conscious consumption choice. Psychologically I believe it is pretty standard to assume that we have an affinity for things that directly reflect or imprint memories of our behavior on the "external" world.

This line of thought reminds me of guided meditation narration where they make statements for visualization aids along the lines of "breathe in the good, breathe out the bad" or imagining the intake stroke airstream as a cooling color such as green or blue calming energy and the output stroke being yellow, orange or red, breathing out stress.

I think it's simply the fact that you are breathing out a lot of smoke and it looks cool. It's what's cool about smoking hookah or walking outside on a cold night and seeing your breathe. How often do you get to see smoke blown out of your mouth like that. It's different and you can be creative in how you chose to display your clouds.

Tuvoc

Looks like Good Life Vapor got those NJOY Artist vapes in. Picked up a few bottles of those to try since they seemed interesting (mainly Dragonscape and Samba Sun) and they had a 25% Black Friday deal going on.

What'd you think of those juices? My local shop just got them in as well. It's hard to pick up on all of the flavors of the juices with the tester EVOD tanks my shop provided. The only one I liked was the Samba Sun. Got a 30ml bottle for $23. I really wanted to like the Hedon one based on the description, but the only flavor I tasted was a really sweet melon flavor.

Wallach

What'd you think of those juices? My local shop just got them in as well. It's hard to pick up on all of the flavors of the juices with the tester EVOD tanks my shop provided. The only one I liked was the Samba Sun. Got a 30ml bottle for $23. I really wanted to like the Hedon one based on the description, but the only flavor I tasted was a really sweet melon flavor.

They won't get in until later this week but I'll let you know. I'm really curious about Dragonscape as a few people have said it is a standout juice. Samba Sun is Jeremy's flavor so I am pretty sure I'll like that one.

Lourio

Joined the VAPEolution.

I bought myself yesterday an Aspire Premium kit, came with a Nautilus Mini and a VV+ battery. Got myself 3 juices w/ 10 ml of nicotine in each. Link

Surprisingly enjoying this. Decided to go with the Nautilius because of the adjustable airflow - and it makes alot of smoke :-D

see5harp

Started vaping a few weeks ago while on vacation. Went with a cheap pen type setup but for the most part liking the experience (at least compared to buying a pack a smokes a day). After doing some research I'm really not understanding the most vocal of the vape culture. Some of the stupidest sounding dudes with tutorials on how to exhale the most vapor.

Started vaping a few weeks ago while on vacation. Went with a cheap pen type setup but for the most part liking the experience (at least compared to buying a pack a smokes a day). After doing some research I'm really not understanding the most vocal of the vape culture. Some of the stupidest sounding dudes with tutorials on how to exhale the most vapor.

Unfortunately this is the trend right now and its unfortunate. I don't think people sitting there blowing dumptrucks full of clouds into the air is a good look for us vapers.

As smokers, were always looked at adversely because of the smell and the cancer clound we were blowing around.

Now, people look at cloud-chasing vapers adversely because of the huge clouds they are chucking. People will find any and every way to decide "I dont like that."

If all of us were blowing a light, not too puffy, smoke I think more people would just be like, "eh, it doesn't bother me, I dont care."

see5harp

It's not even what other non smokers think to me. I get the idea of hitting a 4 ft. bong or drinking a gallon of beer. At the end of the day if you aren't smoking cigarettes, then it's a good thing. Just comes across as incredibly silly to me.

On a side note after a few weeks of using a variable voltage pen I bought a mini nautilus setup with an Eleaf iStick. HUGE step up in battery life, convenience, and quality of vape. If you are a long time smoker and are trying to quit you might as well skip the whole pen phase and go right to something in that price range.

It's not even what other non smokers think to me. I get the idea of hitting a 4 ft. bong or drinking a gallon of beer. At the end of the day if you aren't smoking cigarettes, then it's a good thing. Just comes across as incredibly silly to me.

On a side note after a few weeks of using a variable voltage pen I bought a mini nautilus setup with an Eleaf iStick. HUGE step up in battery life, convenience, and quality of vape. If you are a long time smoker and are trying to quit you might as well skip the whole pen phase and go right to something in that price range.

This is turning into my new recommended setup for newbies. Such a great compact experience with no fuss.

see5harp

This is turning into my new recommended setup for newbies. Such a great compact experience with no fuss.

Seriously. It was maybe $25 more than the pen/tank setup I bought (eGo + kanger) just because I liked the idea of a pen you could put in your pocket. Thing died on the daily. Right out of the box I've used this thing for an entire day. Plus mini usb to charge makes it much more convenient. I suppose if you are just a social/drinking smoker you probably don't need it.

So happy that I might finally be off of cigarettes before the new year.

Chopper

This is exactly what I've just bought my brother-in-law for Christmas. Great little setup.

see5harp

Does anyone know why my atomizer stays in the tank when I unscrew the bottom assembly? Using a Nautilus Mini.

I read something about that in the instructions. I think it's because the atomizer is threaded on both ends essentially. It's screwed to the bottom of the tank but the top of the atomizer attaches the bottom of the tank to the glass to seal. My guess is that you need to tighten the atomizer to the base and not close the tank so tightly.

well, since im in need of a new battery, whos got a good price on the iStick? (US)

Best price I know of right now is www.elev8vape.com. They have is for 35 plus you can still use the 17% off coupon code "blackfriday" (don't know how long the code is good for though). I believe they have free shipping for orders over 50 if you need anything else to fill the order. I bought one for my younger brother - he uses it with a tugboat v2 clone on his FedEx route and loves it.

What do you guys think about the Kayfun V4?

KayfunV4_01a_w.jpg

$185 is a no-go for me.

Filling an OG Kayfun is not that serious, you just have to turn it upside down when you are screwing the top cap back on. And i can usually time my tanks to not fill up a brand new one if I know the coil/wick is on its last leg and needs to be changed.

I'm also not crazy about the way it looks.

I honestly expected more, but oh well. I'll wait for a clone or for a price drop. Wouldn't mind paying $100 again, but not going anywheres near $185

Pete Rock

I was really hyped about it but unfortunately I don't think it's revolutionary such as their first generation of devices. To me it seems like they finally perfected all the promises of their old products without the little issues like the whistling and the refilling being a bit wonky.

The problem is their old products are already outclassed. I cannot in my mind justify spending that kind of change on an official, or even half that much on a clone. Why? Because I can buy an Aspire Atlantis sub-ohm bottom-dual-coil with replaceable atomizer heads for half that price and never have to rebuild anything again.

I tried one over the weekend and it was the most dead-simple off the shelf vapor chucking device I have ever experienced. All for ~ fifty bucks.

After watching the 30 minute reviews from Todd & PB it is obvious that they are not saying very much about the device other than it is really kickass and the most polished kayfun ever. Whoopdie doo. Single air flow, single coil build, whatever.

I honestly could never get my Fogger or Aqua clones setup worth a shit anyways so I think it's off the table for me as well.

Another thing I am starting to realize in terms of considering investing in the Atlantis is that the cheaper cost of rebuilding on my own terms does not factor in my time. I have to clean and scrub the parts and blah blah. That's half an hour every two weeks start to finish. Spending $4-5 per replacement head starts to sound a lot more appealing, particularly when I think of road trips and taking my whole rebuild-bag and torch with me... fucking ridiculous.

dream

I think it's comically over-engineered, and having to unscrew the 510 pin to get to the AFC borders on absurdity.

I was really hyped about it but unfortunately I don't think it's revolutionary such as their first generation of devices. To me it seems like they finally perfected all the promises of their old products without the little issues like the whistling and the refilling being a bit wonky.

The problem is their old products are already outclassed. I cannot in my mind justify spending that kind of change on an official, or even half that much on a clone. Why? Because I can buy an Aspire Atlantis sub-ohm bottom-dual-coil with replaceable atomizer heads for half that price and never have to rebuild anything again.

I tried one over the weekend and it was the most dead-simple off the shelf vapor chucking device I have ever experienced. All for ~ fifty bucks.

After watching the 30 minute reviews from Todd & PB it is obvious that they are not saying very much about the device other than it is really kickass and the most polished kayfun ever. Whoopdie doo. Single air flow, single coil build, whatever.

I honestly could never get my Fogger or Aqua clones setup worth a shit anyways so I think it's off the table for me as well.

Another thing I am starting to realize in terms of considering investing in the Atlantis is that the cheaper cost of rebuilding on my own terms does not factor in my time. I have to clean and scrub the parts and blah blah. That's half an hour every two weeks start to finish. Spending $4-5 per replacement head starts to sound a lot more appealing, particularly when I think of road trips and taking my whole rebuild-bag and torch with me... fucking ridiculous.

Oh thats right, you're one of dem cloud chuckers :)

Everything I've watched on the Atlantis is how its the best carto in history for clouds, but flavor is still lacking compared to rebuildables.

I've contemplated getting the new Nautilus Mini for the convenience. But I know the lack of pure flavor is going to bother me, and with 4 kayfuns and only about 4 juices in my rotation, maintenance isn't that big of an issue.

I think it's comically over-engineered, and having to unscrew the 510 pin to get to the AFC borders on absurdity.

Agreed on both points. 100%

dream

So the downside of vaping in the part of Canada I'm in is that it's difficult to actually order juice from the US, and Canadian juice makers tend to be less...aspirational than their American counterparts. But a local head shop, of all places, just started selling Cosmic Fog, Space Jam, and Five Pawns, so I rushed over there and grabbed a couple bottles of Milk and Honey, and a bottle of Castle Long. I'm stupidly excited to try these, even though paying 31 dollars for 30 ml hurts the Marxist in me.

Pete Rock

Personally, I haven't seen any reviews suggesting that, but I would disagree.
From my own experience it tasted exactly the same as the sample dripper I tried the weekend prior - same juice and same wattage, one was a mech mod and a dripper the other was a cloupor t8 with an atlantis.

Personally I would not say I am a "cloud chucker" or chaser so much as the fact that I would say more vapor with less work is always a good thing. I am highly respectable with my e-cigarette usage and I do not push the limits of acceptability just "because I can". What I can do is vape like crazy before I get out of my car so I don't have to hit the damn thing when I am shopping in the store for 15 minutes or whatever.

If the head shop is not stupid they will have invested in an entire counter display and a knowledgeable employee in regards to e-cigarette technology. From what I have seen myself and from reported data, even at "counter culture" specific trade shows e-cigarette device and juice manufacturers make up %20 of the paid vendor space. Anyways all of this is to say that I am glad you got a line on some good juices up in Canada, dream!

Smoke shop, head shop, vape shop, they all should basically be the same thing at this point. In a perfect world.

see5harp

So the downside of vaping in the part of Canada I'm in is that it's difficult to actually order juice from the US, and Canadian juice makers tend to be less...aspirational than their American counterparts. But a local head shop, of all places, just started selling Cosmic Fog, Space Jam, and Five Pawns, so I rushed over there and grabbed a couple bottles of Milk and Honey, and a bottle of Castle Long. I'm stupidly excited to try these, even though paying 31 dollars for 30 ml hurts the Marxist in me.

I figure the ultimate goal is to get off nicotine altogether and 30ml still lasts me longer than $30 in cigarettes. I'm a newbie but for my money the bottle of Gambit I bought was well worth the $30.

EDIT: It's getting super crazy in California. Vape shops EVERYWHERE. Five Pawns and a ton of the other popular juice makers seem to be in so cal. There are huge bars here everywhere that obviously sell all of the popular stuff, but obvious are in it to sell their "house" juice which is likely just as profitable as the fountain machine at gas stations. Guys are making a killing right now. I wonder what's going to happen when the industry is more regulated. It's going to happen eventually.

dream

Milk and Honey...light and airy is right. I think I got a sense of the flavor in my Plume Veil, but less so in my Nautilus.

Castle Long is phenomenal though. Too bad I wasted a quarter of the bottle trying to fill my Lemo with the eye dropper...

Anton668

Best price I know of right now is www.elev8vape.com. They have is for 35 plus you can still use the 17% off coupon code "blackfriday" (don't know how long the code is good for though). I believe they have free shipping for orders over 50 if you need anything else to fill the order. I bought one for my younger brother - he uses it with a tugboat v2 clone on his FedEx route and loves it.

grazie! though the code wasnt good anymore they have another code for 15% off. so including shipping it was less than $33!

also, i've been using a Kanger EVOD for awhile and as has been stated, they seem like great tanks... up until the point they randomly decide to turn to shite. seeing as how I get them for a lil over $6, the $20+ tanks are a bit much atm. are there any tanks that are a step up yet not $20+? perhaps the Aspire bottom coil tanks maybe?

Chopper

grazie! though the code wasnt good anymore they have another code for 15% off. so including shipping it was less than $33!

also, i've been using a Kanger EVOD for awhile and as has been stated, they seem like great tanks... up until the point they randomly decide to turn to shite. seeing as how I get them for a lil over $6, the $20+ tanks are a bit much atm. are there any tanks that are a step up yet not $20+? perhaps the Aspire bottom coil tanks maybe?
It is worth investing in a better tank. It'll prove cheaper in the long run, as you'll only have to worry about replacing the heads if it fails in the future. If you're still using an ego style battery, I would recommend the Kanger Aerotank Mini.

Yeah the EVOD has delivered one of the best and also the worst vapes I've ever had. Its too unpredictable.

Invest in a better tank and it will last you much longer and be more reliable.

Anton668

i just looked at the aero tank, looks good, then i saw, i have enough rewards points for a $20 gift card! so.... guess my options just opened up! any other suggestions or just go with the kanger?

oh and for battery, i just ordered (blue)...
Origin_Vape_iSmoka_Eleaf_iStick_20w_Mod_Blue_Red_Violet_03.jpg

Husker86

Who else makes their own liquid? I'm surprised I don't read about it much, though I may not frequent this thread often enough to see.

With only 4 ingredients (PG, VG, nicotine and flavor) it's dead simple and saves an incredible amount of money.

My cost for 30mL is just over $2 in ingredients, with nicotine being the biggest chunk of that. Since I cut down to 6mg, it might even be less than $2 now.

daw840

Damn...the Atlantis hype is real. This thing is great. Flavor is just a TAD muted compared to the mutation I was using, but not enough to make a stink about. Vapor production is phenomenal.

Chopper

i just looked at the aero tank, looks good, then i saw, i have enough rewards points for a $20 gift card! so.... guess my options just opened up! any other suggestions or just go with the kanger?

oh and for battery, i just ordered (blue)...
Origin_Vape_iSmoka_Eleaf_iStick_20w_Mod_Blue_Red_Violet_03.jpg
Ah yeah. If you're gonna use an iStick, don't get a Mini.

Everyone here will recommend the Nautilus. I don't like them. I use an Aerotank (regular). But I also use customised rewickable microcoil heads that someone makes and sells here in the UK. I'm unsure if there is an equivalent where you are. So yeah, get a Nautilus.

Damn...the Atlantis hype is real. This thing is great. Flavor is just a TAD muted compared to the mutation I was using, but not enough to make a stink about. Vapor production is phenomenal.
Told ya!

Who else makes their own liquid? I'm surprised I don't read about it much, though I may not frequent this thread often enough to see.

With only 4 ingredients (PG, VG, nicotine and flavor) it's dead simple and saves an incredible amount of money.

My cost for 30mL is just over $2 in ingredients, with nicotine being the biggest chunk of that. Since I cut down to 6mg, it might even be less than $2 now.

Since you make your own stuff maybe you can answer this...

Whenever I taste cheaper juices or "house" juices that the local places make... the nicotine has a burn to it. Like its really rough on the throat and it stings. I've tried going lighter nicotine and it doesn't help.

But when I vape Five Pawns or other reputable juice companies stuff they are much smoother and the throat hit isn't sharp, its a smooth hit.

What are these high-end companies doing differently than house places?

Wallach

Awww yiss, my Atlantis as well as my NJOY Artist bottles should be here today.

Unfortunately it seems the mail misdelivered my 90ml bottle of Gentleman's Reserve, which is not cool.

Edit - Well, that was interesting. The other two packages started tracking as undeliverable, but I went down to the PO and got it sorted out. They still had my package with the 90ml bottle there too. Some kind of error where my mail was being diverted to some PO box. Now I'm home with my Atlantis - which I just filled up with a tank of Dragonscape - and all the other juices I'd ordered last week.

I'm hoping Dragonscape tastes better than the bottle smells, because the scent comes across like a very interesting coffee with a hint of nail polish.

Edit 2 - WOW. I'm shocked at what this Atlantis can do. It's crazy how far vaping has come in the past year!

Also, Dragonscape is crazy good. It's like a mocha coffee mixed with vanilla custard and some subtle tea spice... there's a very strong sweetness that hits your tongue at first but fades away very quickly. Impressively smooth for the flavors at play here. Really impressed by this, I'm glad I got 2 bottles.

wsippel

Banned
I don't think anybody cares, but I felt like posting my story thus far - maybe it encourages people or something:

I was a heavy smoker for pretty much 20 years. Tried my first cigarette when I was 13 or something, really started with 15, smoked up to three packs a day in the end. I mean, it wasn't just an addiction or anything. Even when I was smoking 60 cigarettes a day, I wanted tasty tobacco. I actually enjoyed smoking - a lot. I'm generally very interested in biology and toxicology, so I knew very well what's in there and how bad it is, but I liked it, so I never felt like quitting.

Roughly two weeks ago, I started looking into e-cigarettes for whatever reason. I guess I didn't care previously because I believed e-cigarettes were something like nicotine gum, a method to quit first and foremost - but roughly two weeks ago, the highest German court ruled that they weren't. They said e-cigarettes were essentially "luxury food". So I thought: Well, if people actually use those things because they're tasty, I probably should give it a shot. So I've ordered a cheap one, one that looks like a real cigarette, to give it a spin. Got it last Monday, and it tasted like ass, but I thought the idea was great - if only the taste was a bit (actually a lot) better. So I've ordered a real one. A Joyetech eGrip, with a bunch of liquids to taste test. Got the stuff last Wednesday - and haven't touched a real cigarette since. No urges whatsoever. In fact, I don't think I could go back. Some of the liquids I've bought are just plain terrible, but some are absolutely amazing. And to my surprise, I actually love liquids that taste nothing like tobacco. Peaches and cream for example, stuff I've only ordered for shits and giggles. I don't even like real peaches, but I absolutely love that liquid.

So yeah - if you're reading this and are on the fence: Give it a shot. It's not just a substitute or an alternative, it's something else. Something better. Something that renders real cigarettes obsolete.

Husker86

Since you make your own stuff maybe you can answer this...

Whenever I taste cheaper juices or "house" juices that the local places make... the nicotine has a burn to it. Like its really rough on the throat and it stings. I've tried going lighter nicotine and it doesn't help.

But when I vape Five Pawns or other reputable juice companies stuff they are much smoother and the throat hit isn't sharp, its a smooth hit.

What are these high-end companies doing differently than house places?

Well, I haven't experienced that so I don't know if I can be of much help.

I've only tried a few companies for liquids; my "big" local store, some larger online store, and my own. I did some research on where to buy nicotine and ended up with WizardLabs who are supposed to be a very good company.

Since the three main ingredients are pretty basic stuff, the only thing I can think of is those companies that you are having a problem with are using flavors that have some compounds that are making the throat hit feel like that for you.

I don't think anybody cares, but I felt like posting my story thus far - maybe it encourages people or something:

I was a heavy smoker for pretty much 20 years. Tried my first cigarette when I was 13 or something, really started with 15, smoked up to three packs a day in the end. I mean, it wasn't just an addiction or anything. Even when I was smoking 60 cigarettes a day, I wanted tasty tobacco. I actually enjoyed smoking - a lot. I'm generally very interested in biology and toxicology, so I knew very well what's in there and how bad it is, but I liked it, so I never felt like quitting.

Roughly two weeks ago, I started looking into e-cigarettes for whatever reason. I guess I didn't care previously because I believed e-cigarettes were something like nicotine gum, a method to quit first and foremost - but roughly two weeks ago, the highest German court ruled that they weren't. They said e-cigarettes were essentially "luxury food". So I thought: Well, if people actually use those things because they're tasty, I probably should give it a shot. So I've ordered a cheap one, one that looks like a real cigarette, to give it a spin. Got it last Monday, and it tasted like ass, but I thought the idea was great - if only the taste was a bit (actually a lot) better. So I've ordered a real one. A Joyetech eGrip, with a bunch of liquids to taste test. Got the stuff last Wednesday - and haven't touched a real cigarette since. No urges whatsoever. In fact, I don't think I could go back. Some of the liquids I've bought are just plain terrible, but some are absolutely amazing. And to my surprise, I actually love liquids that taste nothing like tobacco. Peaches and cream for example, stuff I've only ordered for shits and giggles. I don't even like real peaches, but I absolutely love that liquid.

So yeah - if you're reading this and are on the fence: Give it a shot. It's not just a substitute or an alternative, it's something else. Something better. Something that renders real cigarettes obsolete.

That's great to hear! I was ~1 pack/day for 5 years or so. When I got my first "real" ecig, the same thing happened to me. I instantly liked it better and had no desire to go back.

Nah. You're wrong, I feel pretty confident that EVERYBODY here cares about that.

Yeah, this thread sometimes has the appearance of sometimes fetishizing specialist, higher-end hardware and the like, but I don't think we've lost sight of the ultimate goal.

Wondering if anyone can help. I just purchased the istick and the Aspire Nautilus Mini for a begginer start up. I was looking to buy some more BVC coils and noticed I had a choice of 1.6 or 1.8 ohm. Which should I choose and why? Also besides juice is there anything else i need? Thanks in advance.

120v

hmm i may have to bite on the Atlantis

i'm kind of wary as the last two Nautilises I got were defective, and i've gotten bunk coils from them from time to time. I looked it up though it seems i'm the only one with this problem

Top Bottom