• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Loudninja

Dibbz said:
Look what just arrived at my doorstep

2452064592_72839df6ca.jpg

I wasn't that excited about this game but now that it's here, I'm dying to play it.

Nice

Wizpig said:
Ok thanks.
And now, did anyone notice that strange palette swap the game has on some atmospheric changes?

It's like the game is almost in black & white, i swear.
Anyone?

yeah there's def. a lack of color that makes the game more realistic looking. and Im playing it on 360 even, go figure.

all these stories on graphics were just bullshit.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ryuuga said:
Well, off to get my copy....

Sometimes I think sitting on trains
Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
Everyone's a winner now we're making that fame
Bonafide hustler making my name

All I wanna do *BANG BANG BANG BANG*
And a- *CLICK CHING*
And take your money

M.I.A Paper Planes

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=vky_kCXFICU

I feel this song would've been perfect for GTAIV. If it is, that's great. It's not exactly grammy-award winning for such an "oscar-worthy" game, but I think it fits the bill. Some of the lyrics work quite well. The beat is nice as well.

M.I.A not being in the soundtrack is a missed opportunity, with Kala being released just last year and all. Just about any song from that album would've fit.

This game continues to wow me. Did some Vlad & Little Jacob missions, some dating, darting & pooling... So amazing. What annoys me a bit though is how small the icons on the map are. You really have to squint to make out where what is

Wizpig

Moz La Punk said:
yeah there's def. a lack of color that makes the game more realistic looking. and Im playing it on 360 even, go figure.

all these stories on graphics were just bullshit.
The game is all nice when the weather is sunny, but then sometimes... foggy -> black & white.

Damn!

Barrett2

Dibbz said:

I wasn't that excited about this game but now that it's here, I'm dying to play it.

Oh fuck! That, my friend, is a stroke inducing, 'Nintendo 64 kid' purchase!

I hope you don't have school or work today, because there is no way I could pull myself away from a new console & GTA4.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
After a few hours played I can safely say this is the best GTA I have played, the world is so damn good, and its the little things that make it happen. For example, I just took Michelle for my 2nd date, and I went to....a variety club? what? In a way it takes you out of the gameplay, but moreover, it connections you to the game, the bowling was very fun too.

This game is certainly worth more than the sum of its parts, and thats quite a feat, seeing as how much there is to do in the game, Gunplay is superb, the cop system is engaging and driving, while taking a bit of getting used to, is very good.

I'm glad I made the effort (read: None!) to get it at a midnight launch, and even more so that I took the day off work to savour the first day of GTA IV properly, now, to play online...

Topher said:
How the hell do you hail a cab? And how to open trunks?

No trunks. once its unlocked, press L1 to hail a cab.

also, Three words that will become well hated in the GTA community:

"no love lost"

sajj316

Dibbz said:

What a sexy looking box! Too bad there isn't that model yet in the US.

painey

is it black and white when you get on a train on purpose?

So far im loving it.. originally i was horrified at the slow clunky cars and walking and the hazy, fuzzy graphics but after 30 minutes i realised this is a much more realistic, grounded game. You arent supposed to floor it in your car and bounce off trafic, you are supposed to drive slowly, obeying traffic for the most part and overtaking when there is space rather than whenever you want. The characters are great (even though I cant stand Nikos voice acting) and really give the game atmosphere.

schild

psycho_snake said:
Just checked Gamespot for the GTA4 review. Now thats a surprise. Gamespot dont give out good scores easily. I was expecting GTA to get 9.something, but I never thought they would actually give it a 10.

All their good writers who would've dinged it for being a dark mess at night and for having crap driving controls left to pursue greener pastures. Why the fuck would you expect any sort of realistic score from the New Gamespot?

(dont' get me wrong, presentation is amazing and the sum is greater than it's parts, but Gamespot was giving it a 10 guaranteed.)

WhatRuOn said:
Anyone know if there are any weapon cheats, I want to go on a rampage.
from a few page's back

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10958054&postcount=6699
Loudninja said:
spolier cheat codes
GTA 4 cheating blocks your achievements
http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?p=10174098#post10174098

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10957936&postcount=6698

Klaxon said:
Cheats - enter these into the mobile phone - cheats are stored once entered and can be toggled.

Health And Weapons Call GTA-555-0100
Weapons Call GUN-555-0150
Advanced Weapons Call GUN-555-0100
Health Call DOC-555-0100
Wanted Level Down Call COP-555-0100
Wanted Level Up Call COP-555-0150
Climate Change Call HOT-555-0100
Spawn Cognoscenti (Mafia Car) Call CAR-555-0142
Spawn Sanchez (Dirt Bike) Call MBK-555-0150
Spawn FBI Buffalo Call CAR-555-0100
Spawn Turismo Call CAR-555-0147
Spawn NRG900 Call MBK-555-0100
Spawn Comet Call CAR-555-0175
Spawn SuperGT Call CAR-555-0168
Spawn Police Chopper Call FLY-555-0100
Spawn Jetmax(Boat) Call WET-555-0100

Monocle

Initial impressions after several hours of play:

- The graphics didn't wow me as much as I was expecting. However, overall quality is a substantial improvement over past GTAs. As others have mentioned, the lighting is excellent. More impressive still is the immense level of detail. There are subtle touches packed into every square inch of the city.

- Cruising the streets listening to the radio has always been one of this series' simple pleasures. In GTA4 it's an experience of pure luxury: cars handle so well now, even driving old beaters is a joy. Rockstar have found the perfect balance between realistic handling and the arcadey turn-on-a-dime feel of the vehicles from GTA3, VC and SA. In practical terms this means driving takes more skill than in past entries, yet it's every bit as accessible as you could want. The first thing I noticed was that the cars have a tangible weight to them. You have to account for their momentum by braking well ahead of turns. It takes some getting used to, but I wouldn't change a thing. Also, the handbrake isn't a stop-in-your-tracks button anymore; expect to get into a few fender benders before you get a feel for it. Once you learn to work with the improved physics you'll be able to pull off some truly impressive maneuvers.

- The GPS system is a godsend. The most efficient route to every mission destination is plotted on the minimap and the pause menu map with a bright yellow line. Getting lost on unfamiliar streets is a thing of the past. The best part is how you can set your own waypoint that functions in the exact same manner.

- All of the animation is incredibly good, but Euphoria is flat out mind blowing. Minutes ago I jacked a car when its owner was standing beside it. He grabbed the handle, trying to open the door and pull me out. I reversed and threw the car into a tight 180 to shake him off. Instead of losing his grip immediately, the man hung on and was whipped around really hard. His body smashed into the side of the car, and that's when he finally let go. It was all so spontaneous and natural looking. Just awesome. If I have one criticism about GTAIV, it's the game's lack of a saved films feature. In my view, Rockstar missed an immense opportunity there.

- The plot and voice acting is top quality. It's too early to tell for sure, but I'm thinking the IGN review's talk of Oscar-caliber drama might not be far off. Niko is GTA's best protagonist by far. Hands down. No contest.

- This game is packed full of razor sharp satire. I laughed out loud no less than three times in as many missions because of things I happened to hear on the radio. The writing is nothing short of brilliant.

More later.

Edit:

Klaxon said:
Cheats - enter these into the mobile phone - cheats are stored once entered and can be toggled.

Fantastic! I was hoping Rockstar would make them work like that.

Beaulieu

Ok I played about 2 hours before going to bed yesterday and I have a fsw questions

Are there hidden packages in the game ?
Is it confirmed that there is NO army whatsoever ? Or even a tank?
Is there even gangs in the game ? Havent seen any hint about that yet!

thanks.

Defuser

Beaulieu said:
Ok I played about 2 hours before going to bed yesterday and I have a fsw questions

Are there hidden packages in the game ?
Is it confirmed that there is NO army whatsoever ? Or even a tank?
Is there even gangs in the game ? Havent seen any hint about that yet!

thanks.

There is hidden packages but it will be a quiet sound if you're near it.And there is gangs,I unknowingly disturb them and I got stabbed for it :(

zaidr

Defuser said:
There is hidden packages but it will be a quiet sound if you're near it.And there is gangs,I unknowingly disturb them and I got stabbed for it :(

I still haven't found one...what are they? just random white packages? (spoiler tag the answer plz).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Question about the intro movie: is it supposed to cut off after a while and change into a loading screen? Every time the movie just abruptly stops, feels like I haven't seen it all. There's not supposed to be a main menu right?

zaidr

Darunia said:
Question about the intro movie: is it supposed to cut off after a while and change into a loading screen? Every time the movie just abruptly stops, feels like I haven't seen it all. There's not supposed to be a main menu right?

You mean the "paintings" before the game starts? I think the girl looking into niko's car is the last one, and then a loading screen that takes you to your last save game.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
zaidr said:
You mean the "paintings" before the game starts? I think the girl looking into niko's car is the last one, and then a loading screen that takes you to your last save game.

yeah just checked it on youtube. Pretty weird, thought there was something wrong with my copy when I first booted the game

theBishop

Banned
Darunia said:

that sounds like "the problem". For me, the video suddenly freezes, but the audio is still going.

X26

Banned
Just got it and started playing, but I had to come in and say I FUCKING LOVE ROCKSTAR FOR NOT NEGLECTING SDTV OWNERS! Hud elements, text, everything is VERY readible, biggest fear is abolished.

Walshicus

theBishop said:
that sounds like "the problem". For me, the video suddenly freezes, but the audio is still going.
My friend had that and even took his copy back to the shop for a replacement that still didn't work. He fixed it by doing a cache reset.

Evlar

Banned
There will be top-shelf Machinima created with this game. Just imagine the possibilities; a built-in New York simulcrum for sets, traffic and pedestrian traffic moving naturally as you record, Euphoria providing an immense variety of possible stunts, all of the various props and interactions, costumizeable avatars... You could accomplish a hell of a lot.

zaidr

MrTroubleMaker said:
yes, so dont save ;)

or, save before the cheats in your own save file, and continue on with another one with the cheats enabled. Just making sure you don't do any missions that autosave over your old "non-cheating" autosave...

AirBrian

I would like to say thanks to whoever suggested turning up the brightness and contrast. The game looked way too dark at first, but after increasing the brightness and contrast, it looks beautiful.

I only got to play for about 2 hours last night, but I just can't get over how immersive the city feels. The attention to detail is really quite amazing.

Also, bowling rocks!

zaidr

Evlar said:
There will be top-shelf Machinima created with this game. Just imagine the possibilities; a built-in New York simulcrum for sets, traffic and pedestrian traffic moving naturally as you record, Euphoria providing an immense variety of possible stunts, all of the various props and interactions, costumizeable avatars... You could accomplish a hell of a lot.

I like how you think man. If only there was something to do facial animations with (ala gary's mod for GTAIV), we'd be set for the new future of gaming machinima.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I think I'm going to turn off auto aiming too. In the first serious cover shoot out (Little Jacob mission) it already targeted the wrong guy, was a bit confusing. I'm gonna need some time to adjust but I think I'll prefer having total control over the shooting

Top Bottom