• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Flo

I cannot find how to pick up items and I have to
throw something through someone's window
to advance the story. I think I've tried every button, short and long. Playing on xbox by the way. How does it work?

I love the game so far, about two hours in. However, I am having some trouble with driving cars, just not good at it. Sucks when you have to escape the police..

f@luS

More than a member.
played 30min of my ps3 version ( i have the 360 one since yesterday)

the framerate in either is nowhere near 30fps rockstable, this is bullshit. This is really a typical GTA framerate, always or almost slighty below

Tr4nce

Flo said:
to advance the story. I think I've tried every button, short and long. Playing on xbox by the way. How does it work?

I love the game so far, about two hours in. However, I am having some trouble with driving cars, just not good at it. Sucks when you have to escape the police..

On PS3 it's the L1 button. The first shoulder button. I picked some stuff up and threw it at people :lol

GOTY confirmed!

Steroyd

:lol :lol :lol

Wow I driving so bad I did a head on collision and the camera went away from the car, I thought the cam was concentrating on someone I ran over took a few seconds to figure out I fell through the windshield. :lol :O

These physics just might make the game last a long while after I've done all the missions.

zaidr

Tr4nce said:
On PS3 it's the L1 button. The first shoulder button. I picked some stuff up and threw it at people :lol

GOTY confirmed!

I picked up the mustard from the diner, and threw it at people. I got a headshot on a patron, and he went unconscious. GOTY indeed.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
Flo said:

I had the same problem
you can drive a car into the window to get through the mission

painey

haha.. my copy just arrived, SE.. its fantastic. Cant start till the social club is up though and its been saying "be back shortly" for 6 hours now

[Nintex]

I just played a few hours and well mixed feelings so far.

I'm not sold on the singleplayer yet, it starts a bit boring.
The multiplayer is gold though, shoot-outs on the streets with cops, civilians and traffic.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Ugh there were at least 150 people on line at my local gamestop, probably closer to 200.

After I finally got home played for about an hour last night and a half hour this morning. Right now I am still not really warmed up to it. The driving is not so good at all (doesn't help that I keep thinking Burnout Paradise only to not feel it) and the car physics feel a bit floaty, but other than that it's a good time. I am impressed with the graphics outside of cutscenes. The engine is pushing out a ton of shit. Did they use a specific toolset for this game, like Renderware?

Now to labor through a full day's work on 3 hours of sleep.

As Above,

Around ten hours of playtime, must admit, im not on the second island yet, am loving exploring the first borough. Plus, I still find myself lost/disoriented. Its fantastic.

Kudos to Rockstar, bring on the DL Content and the reimagined Vice City and San Andreas stat!

Weenerz

Banned
Love almost everything about the game, except for the floaty cars. I failed one of
Vlad's missions where you chase the guy thru the construction area on foot after riding around a bunch of corners
like 8 times because of my godamn car on clouds. Still good fun tho. BTW
dunno what other people did, but I killed that fucker because he made me fail so many times
:lol

Flo

Tr4nce said:

GOTY confirmed!
Ok I figured out how to pick something up. This whole situation feels pretty stupid but I cannot get passed it.
I need to throw something through someone's shopwindow, the only thing I can pick up are tiny tin-cans and when I carry them towards the shop they just disappear once I'm near it.
I've been trying for about 45 min and I'm getting quite sick of it. I've heard every line the hotdog man has to say about 3 times now..

What am I doing wrong?? Help? :/

edit:
Crag Dweller said:
I had the same problem
you can drive a car into the window to get through the mission
I tried this, but nothing happened. I'll try again.

Weenerz

Banned
Flo said:
Ok I figured out how to pick something up. This whole situation feels pretty stupid but I cannot get passed it.
I need to throw something through someone's shopwindow, the only thing I can pick up are tiny tin-cans and when I carry them towards the shop they just disappear once I'm near it.
I've been trying for about 45 min and I'm getting quite sick of it. I've heard every line the hotdog man has to say about 3 times now..

edit:

Just keep ramming your car into the windows, 3 or 4 times and the guy will come out and give up, don't worry about throwing stuff.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
pn18 said:
yes, graphics are RAGE, character and vehicle animations are Euphoria, and actual physics are Havok.

cordonbleu said:
Kudos to Rockstar, bring on the DL Content and the reimagined Vice City and San Andreas stat!
I am going to be killed for saying this, but I would KILL for a "reimagined" Vice City game using this engine. It's the one GTA that I always wanted to get into but just couldn't stomach the low res graphics that typically came along with a sandbox game last gen.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
f@luS said:
played 30min of my ps3 version ( i have the 360 one since yesterday)

the framerate in either is nowhere near 30fps rockstable, this is bullshit. This is really a typical GTA framerate, always or almost slighty below
What's your take then on a recommendation? I'm going to pick it up in a few hours and have to make the choice. I've been waiting to hear more impressions from owners of both versions. Which version do you think I should go with? If you want to send me a PM in order to avoid chaos, go for it. I just don't want to buy one version of the game only to find myself trying to return it for another.

zaidr

Flo said:

edit:

If you change to any of your weapons, you will lose the thing you have in your hand.
You can punch that window to death too. Remember though, its the window, not the doors. The windows to the left of the doors, even though the doors are glass, its the windows you need to break.

zaidr

borghe said:
yes, graphics are RAGE, character and vehicle animations are Euphoria, and actual physics are Havok.

I am going to be killed for saying this, but I would KILL for a "reimagined" Vice City game using this engine. It's the one GTA that I always wanted to get into but just couldn't stomach the low res graphics that typically came along with a sandbox game last gen.

Only if theres no more real-estate building missions...the later game was ruined by that crap.

rod

Banned
dark10x said:
What's your take then on a recommendation? I'm going to pick it up in a few hours and have to make the choice. I've been waiting to hear more impressions from owners of both versions. Which version do you think I should go with? If you want to send me a PM in order to avoid chaos, go for it. I just don't want to buy one version of the game only to find myself trying to return it for another.

being a fellow framerate whore i can definetly tell that the ps3 framerate is nicer than the 360s. i definetly notice the 360 version dip under 30fps more often BUT...

its so obvious that the ps3 resolution is lower than 720p. i dont know if it actually is running lower, but i had them both running on different signals and the 360 version looks much, much clearer and sharper.

popup is still there on ps3, havent realised yet if its as bad as the 360 version yet. im too busy concentrating not crashing into cars. each one has its +'s and -'s tbh. its all personal preference

Walshicus

Oh, was anyone else in hysterics at Republican Space Rangers? Their space suits looked a little like a certain Master Chief Petty Officer's... :D

WrikaWrek

Banned
Sir Fragula said:
Oh, was anyone else in hysterics at Republican Space Rangers? Their space suits looked a little like a certain Master Chief Petty Officer's... :D

Have you checked the "Las Venturas" thing on T.V?

Could Las Vegas be next?

I love the look of the modern versions of the GTA sports cars that I have seen so far. Very obvious which real life vehicles they are based on.

nofi

Sir Fragula said:

I assumed it was the Doom space marine, but yeah, close enough.

dfyb

Banned
think i managed to store 3 cars in the yellow parking space things infront of first safehouse. two banshees and a corquiette or whatever (corvette parody)

bosx2

Banned
my impressions:

- incredible good voice over
- detailed grapics (first thing I´ve done was zooming the camera on the front lights of the car and damn its pretty detailed)
- music is fantastic and well placed (multiplayer finishing song is AWESOME)
- city feels good but nothing I havent seen before.
- controlls need work and time to get used too and missing some possiblities
- more brutal than I thought it would be (very controversal some times)
- EXPLOSIONS are my favorite so far...

After 2 hours I joined a multiplayer deathmatch and FUCK it was great, exactly how I expected it. Total chaos and fun!!! Tried the others modes too and they are fine! but plagued by INCREDIBLE Slowdowns (less than 5 fps!). Hope they optimize that part in the future..

nofi

bosx2 said:
After 2 hours I joined a multiplayer deathmatch and FUCK it was great, exactly how I expected it. Total chaos and fun!!! Tried the others modes too and they are fine! but plagued by INCREDIBLE Slowdowns (less than 5 fps!). Hope they optimize that part in the future..

Huh?

The only slowdown I had was in a massive jet ski race with collisions and water everywhere!

Weenerz

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Have you checked the "Las Venturas" thing on T.V?

Could Las Vegas be next?

Thats what I thought when I saw that commercial, the next place could be Vegas. Makes sense, they already have the engine for the game, just need to do the other stuff, kinda like VC and SA.

guidop

People need to go watch some TV. Mens Room is my favorite show, I think MMA fans will really like Men Rooms ;)

Edit: OMG the TV is really good its as good as the radio stations maybe even better.

Burger

I think the level of detail and work that has gone into every nook and cranny to be simply incredible. Amazing that they get this to work at all on these consoles, it's just astounding.

To the people moaning about the graphics, shut up.

Burger said:
I think the level of detail and work that has gone into every nook and cranny to be simply incredible. Amazing that they get this to work at all on these consoles, it's just astounding.

To the people moaning about the graphics, shut up.

I would add to that; to the people moaning about the graphics, shut the HELL up. Your time on this planet has come to an end.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Oook....i did a twisted thing.

So i drove 2 Jeeps into a burger shop right, which enabled me to block the entrances...and then i started killing everyone in the shop, waited for the cops and killed as many as i could till after some time they were able to cap my ass.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
WrikaWrek said:
Oook....i did a twisted thing.

So i drove 2 Jeeps into a burger shop right, which enabled me to block the entrances...and then i started killing everyone in the shop, waited for the cops and killed as many as i could till after some time they were able to cap my ass.

Evil, yet totally fucking awesome, I need to start the ol' random killing ASAP, currently going through the story a bit, but can't wait to see what gunplay is like in situations like this,

Cardon

This may be a bit of a silly question to ask but has anyone's copy of the game shipped from EBGames online? I checked the status of my Special Edition copy and it says its shipped but I don't have a tracking number which is leaving me paranoid. I NEED MY GTAIV FIX TODAY!!

BeeDog

YAAAAY, picked my copy up. Installing the game data now, can't fucking wait.

Over and out! *unreachable for the next 2-3 hours*

Piscopink

Wow. 4:30 AM. I really need to stop playing! :lol

The only complaint I have so far is that there's freakin' IN GAME TRAFFIC! I live with hellish traffic in LA in real life, I have little desire to experience it virtually.

I went through Liberty City's toll bridge like a good citizen the first time. The way back, there was no way in hell I was going to sit in traffic again. I drove through the on-coming toll booth gate and immediately had LCPD swarming on my tail. Threw my mission into jeopardy, but it was completely worth it.

Top Bottom