• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Railer

Sean said:
Is there a way to remove your sunglasses w/o visiting your safehouse?

I'm on the mission with the lawyer where I need to be in a suit and I just bought that, but it's not letting me start the mission cause I guess I've got sunglasses on. I only have one safehouse (is there a way to get more?) and it's far away, afraid I will miss the interview time.

Well , you can get into a fight and have your sunglasses broken.
Diving out of a car or getting hitted by one should work too.

AniHawk

Don't think this has been posted yet.

20080502.jpg

Not sure why "A leetle" cracks me up, but it does.

joePM

OPM SHILL
Ramirez said:
You can pick one of the guys off from the hallway without even going into the room...I used the shotgun for the other 2 guy's, fairly easy. I used the free aim though...

Try shooting out the window and climbing into the little office -- I got obliterated when I tried to go in through the front door.

I played yesterday pretty much from the second I got home from work until I went to bed. I finished all of Jacob's missions. I have a question about keeping friends happy in the game.
Do I have to contact Jacob to hang out occasionally to keep his Like and Respect levels up or will they stay where their at without any further interaction?

AniHawk said:
Don't think this has been posted yet.

http://penny-arcade.com/images/2008/20080502.jpg

Not sure why "A leetle" cracks me up, but it does.

That's hilarious.

nofi

Felix Lighter said:
I played yesterday pretty much from the second I got home from work until I went to bed. I finished all of Jacob's missions. I have a question about keeping friends happy in the game.
Do I have to contact Jacob to hang out occasionally to keep his Like and Respect levels up or will they stay where their at without any further interaction?

That's hilarious.

The friendship levels can drop back down if you don't interact with them, yup. =(

Woo-Fu

Banned
Once you have access to their special ability, do you have to maintain the friendship level? That is the real question.

I've been ignoring the cousin for ages and I still get car service.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
BenjaminBirdie said:
In addition to all the MP3s from the GTA Radio Stations, a chilling sign that no box set may be in the offing, in an ad for the box sets still on sale from the previous games:

So. Looks like this is it.

does anyone know which song was the one in the second trailer. the one where niko is walking towards the camera and the background changes to the beat of the song?

I've just ran into a fun little bug. I'd noticed that whenever you start a mission of Elizbetha's, the car you were last in is parked neatly outside. I imagined there'd be some sort of proximity limitation, so I certainly didn't expect this:

gta.jpg

Oh also I tried to kill Michelle because she criticised my awesome getup. Bitch took 5 bullets to the head until the game told me I'd "scared" her, and another 20 before she broke up with me. I've heard of clingy but...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Nexus Zero said:
Oh also I tried to kill Michelle because she criticised my awesome getup. Bitch took 5 bullets to the head until the game told me I'd "scared" her, and another 20 before she broke up with me. I've heard of clingy but...

I bought this new suit from the classy store and I went on a date with her just to see how she'd comment

'I don't like your outfit'

'those pants look terrible on you'

she goddamn liked my sweatpants, yeans and cheap sweaters, but she hates it when I show up in a suit, fucked up girl in many ways

voltron

Beaulieu said:
Is it possible to hunt the pigeons in Multiplayer Free Roam ?

You just blew my mind..... really. You really did.

That would be so epic to go pigeon hunting with your friends just like orb hunting in Crackdown.

Also - speaking of hidden items.... has anyone found any of the hidden packages that gets you the achievement?

-edit-

As this:

1jc8P2NhbC8xCxoEGlxTVkYyL2FjaC8wLzFFAAAAAVBQUPlHep4=.jpg

Is the picture for the hidden package achievement, Im assuming the pigeons are the only hidden packages in the game.

Double D

Darunia said:
I bought this new suit from the classy store and I went on a date with her just to see how she'd comment

'I don't like your outfit'

'those pants look terrible on you'

she goddamn liked my sweatpants, yeans and cheap sweaters, but she hates it when I show up in a suit, fucked up girl in many ways

Yep, she likes sweat suits and burgers. A real classy broad.

Salazar

Beaulieu said:
Is it possible to hunt the pigeons in Multiplayer Free Roam ?

:lol

Wow, I have so much ahead of me in this game. I'm just enjoying rolling trashcans into the street and watching cars bang into 'em. Haven't even perturbed the wildlife yet, let alone killed any of it.

Beaulieu

voltron said:
You just blew my mind..... really. You really did.

That would be so epic to go pigeon hunting with your friends just like orb hunting in Crackdown.

Also - speaking of hidden items.... has anyone found any of the hidden packages that gets you the achievement?

-edit-

As this:

1jc8P2NhbC8xCxoEGlxTVkYyL2FjaC8wLzFFAAAAAVBQUPlHep4=.jpg

Is the picture for the hidden package achievement, Im assuming the pigeons are the only hidden packages in the game.

Pigeons are the secret packages...

NJ Shlice

It told me I unlocked the Taxi special abilities (I'm really early in the game.) What does that mean??

Are special abilities when you can call someone for certain things? Like specifically calling Roman for a job?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm really impressed with how much more fun each mission is in this game. The previous games were all very interesting from a concept level, but the actual minute to minute gameplay was incredibly flimsy. That is no longer the case. While it's not on par with a dedicated shooter just yet, it still feels very satisfying. Taking out a whole group of people on foot, for instance, is actually fun and rewarding. Previous games made it feel as if you were just running around like a headless chicken trying to kill everything as fast as possible. This feels so much more cinematic.

The car chases are great too. Brucie had me chasing down one guy for a good 5 minutes or so. I couldn't believe how cool it was when he slammed the side of a semi-truck causing it to lose its load of pipes all over the road. The way the physics, motion blur, camera movement (first person driving) and everything came together made it feel like a highly scripted, cinematic moment. It was that kind of thing you'd expect to see in a promo CG trailer for a game. There have been a lot of these moments, actually.

Wollan

Had two perfect mp moments just now.

In one game I was free-roaming with sirolf & buddy, just cruising a boat on the open sea. Sun glittering in the water, seeing the city go by... ..so epic.

Also played a cops and crooks game. After a long fight throughout the city the mobsters was nearing the airplane field. After I respawned I took a small detour to pick up a rocket launcher. I arrived at the scene and they were taking cover behind the car about 15m from the chopper. The boss makes the run for it so I fire a rocket at the car wasting all the bad guys. Delicious.

ShinAmano said:
Any chance that down the line (DLC?) they could add in a replay/pictue/movie mode? After Halo 3 most games need this feature...
I think it would be a large task to save all the data that is created throughout a GTA4 online match.

NJ x Falkor:

I assume it means that you can now call Roman for either:

1) a taxi driver to come to pick you up, or
2) a taxi job.

Either way, very useful early on.

Woo-Fu said:
Once you have access to their special ability, do you have to maintain the friendship level? That is the real question.

I've been ignoring the cousin for ages and I still get car service.
I'd like to know the answer to this, also.

ShinAmano said:
Any chance that down the line (DLC?) they could add in a replay/pictue/movie mode? After Halo 3 most games need this feature...

I really really doubt it. This game has been in development for so long, I doubt they would add a major feature this late in the game. It would have been an awesome feature though.

NJ Shlice

dollartaco said:
NJ x Falkor:

I assume it means that you can now call Roman for either:

1) a taxi driver to come to pick you up, or
2) a taxi job.

Either way, very useful early on.

K thanx.

Why call a taxi when you can steal one?

Wollan

NJ x Falkor said:
K thanx.
Why call a taxi when you can steal one?
It's far to travel when the whole city opens up.
Also, you can choose to skip the ride basically teleporting you to whatever location.

ElyrionX

Uhh, now I have to choose between killing either
Playboy or Dwayne.
I have completely no idea who to kill. Both of them seem to deserve it and both of them don't seem "good". Can anyone clue me in on the consequences of either decision?

Double D

GarthVaderUK said:
In 14 hours of play I've only actually noticed one of them :D
I'll keep an eye out for them from now on.

Loving this game, it's absolutely incredible.

Same. I had been keeping an eye out for the traditional GTA package. Once I found out they were pigeons, I came across one last night, and made it disappear with my shotgun.

Double D

ElyrionX said:
Uhh, now I have to choose between killing either
Playboy or Dwayne.
I have completely no idea who to kill. Both of them seem to deserve it and both of them don't seem "good". Can anyone clue me in on the consequences of either decision?

Kill Dwayne and get $25000, Kill Playboy and get his apartment. Also, I believe Dwayne will give you missions later in the game. I killed Playboy, and think I made the right decision.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I was goofing around at the docks by Brucie's lockup last night. There is a cargo crane where you can go up 2-3 levels via ladders and a sniper rifle at top. From there you can randomly snipe people as they drive by on the streets above the lockup.

Anyways, I was doing that, hit 3 stars and there are police running around all over the place. Funny thing was that 4-5 of them would try to come up the ladder at the same time, the top guy would fall off knocking the rest of them off the ladder and to the ground and inevitably one of them would cry, "officer down!".

...and this was just the ladder to the first level, so it wasn't like anybody was shooting at them. The ones that made it up the 1st ladder would never come up the 2nd ladder to get me, was kind of disappointing. Eventually I ran out of ammo for guns with long enough range to deal with the helicopters so I jumped off the platform trying to hit the water. I was a couple feet short, it wasn't pretty.

Talk about keystone cops. :p

Dr_Cogent

Banned
OK,
so Roman can no longer offer me his cab service since the apartment and business got burnt down.

Is it possible to call a regular cab to pick me up? Sometimes it's a total bitch hailing a cab or they simply don't stop for you.

Better yet, is there a link to all the phone numbers that you can manually dial?

I found out that it pays of having played various racing sims in the past. People really suck online.:D

Dr_Cogent said:
OK,
so Roman can no longer offer me his cab service since the apartment and business got burnt down.

Is it possible to call a regular cab to pick me up? Sometimes it's a total bitch hailing a cab or they simply don't stop for you.

Better yet, is there a link to all the phone numbers that you can manually dial?

Later on Roman gets back his insurance money and he sets up his business again. You just have to play a few more missions.

Double D

Dr_Cogent said:
OK,

Roman will re-open for business soon

Dr_Cogent said:
OK,

Play a little further...

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Dr_Cogent said:

never seems to be a problem for me, do they maybe not stop for you if you have a weapon equipped?

tha_con

Banned
I keep trying to hail cabs, but they pull over...and then I push triangle to get in, and I jack the car.

I'm doing it wrong....right?

Wollan

'Hating the Haters' is a absolute hilarious mission.
You need to help out this ultra metrosexual dude by getting rid of a stalker. You join him for a jog and he keeps talking about how fabulous he is and constantly teases Niko. Now, he gets hit in the leg by the stalker and Niko goes after the guy. The stalker steals a miniature moped that a grown man can barely sit on and so does Niko. I laughed out loud when I saw the vehicle was named 'faggio'. And then you hunt him down in low speeds, ultra high pitch engine noise amidst city traffic on these tiny bikes. Hysterical.

tha_con

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
Hold it down

don't just tap it.

eureka.

On another note...I've only found 2 damn pigeons, DAMN they seem hard to find. The 2 I found seemed fairly common sense like. Went to the park, pigeons are in the park and BAM, there it was. Then I decided to climb around on the screamer and there was on there too. Since then? Nada.

Beaulieu

tha_con said:
I keep trying to hail cabs, but they pull over...and then I push triangle to get in, and I jack the car.

I'm doing it wrong....right?

this question has been asked about 40 times already, and It tells you what to do at the top of the screen when you hail a taxi. People keep asking stupid question on the forum... just try and play the game god damnit.

Frenck

Banned
Three Leaf Clover has Snowstorm beaten as the best mission so far.

How can a game possibly do so many things right?

I chose to kill Playboy because I felt sorry for Dwayne. I just couldn't let him down.

Beaulieu said:
this question has been asked about 40 times already, and It tells you what to do at the top of the screen when you hail a taxi. People keep asking stupid question on the forum... just try and play the game god damnit.

Chill dude. There are certain obvious things I've missed out on myself. And the thread moves so fast it's hard to go back and search for answers without getting spoilers mixed in there.

Top Bottom