• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Jeanne D'arc Thread - SRPG goodness from Level5 for 29.99$

Anybody know where to find
Roger
's Gem of Portent? I have the Gem of Blood and the Gem of Darkness but hell if I have any idea where to find that one.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Three things I dislike about the game

1) Loading

2) The enemy AI in battle hiccups when it highlights an enemy and waits 3 seconds or so just so it could choose to Wait. I find that really annoying.

3) I wish I could skip certain sequences. Be it the Transformations, to Enemy/Ally skills and the fucken toad animation when combining skills (I JUST WANT TO SKIP THE TOADS MOUTH SWISHING ARGH). It seems simple enough, they should have put in a way to just press a button to skip the sequences.

BlueTsunami said:

1) Loading

2) The enemy AI in battle hiccups when it highlights an enemy and waits 3 seconds or so just so it could choose to Wait. I find that really annoying.

3) I wish I could skip certain sequences. Be it the Transformations, to Enemy/Ally skills and the fucken toad animation when combining skills (I JUST WANT TO SKIP THE TOADS MOUTH SWISHING ARGH). It seems simple enough, they should have put in a way to just press a button to skip the sequences.

The loading isn't bad. Just return the game.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
BlueTsunami said:

1) Loading
They are not bad at all.

Never even noticed that, I have been playing non stop

Toad takes like 2-3 secs whats the big deal? You must hate all RPGs. Just about all of them have pauses for magic and other animations. It would be weird if they allow you to skip them since they add to the immersion of the game.

satori

I am just waiting on the new PSP this along with FFT are the main reason why I am getting the PSP. That and streaming media from your PS3 to PSP sounds like a freakin beast. I will never be bored at work again...although I might be fired :D

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I'm really enjoying the plot of the game. There are a few plot annoyances, but for the most part it's decently written, with interesting characters. As an SRPG it's a lot easier that most I've played. The Godspeed can be almost game breaking at times. (this is a pretty big spoiler here, so umm don't look unless you're pretty far into it.)
Especially when Liane has the armlet because of her really high MP, I find her much better than Jeanne so far.

A job system might have made it better, but I don't think the plot really lends to a job system, so I don't mind that so much. I do like the skill customization, though.

Half of me wants the voice bubbles you see during battles to be voiced, but then I imagine it would get pretty annoying. Of course I don't mind the voices in PC RTSs that happens when you make somebody move, so maybe it would have been better afterall.

BlueTsunami

PistolGrip said:

They add immersion to the game? :lol

It gets old after the 20th time I've combined something. The loading is an issue (which is why I'm looking to get a large memory card so I can rip the game). UMD loading speeds suck, thats a known fact. And the hitching (or whatever its called) with enemy AI is there.

Immersion heh

And let me add that I love everything else about the game. But on GAF, you need to either be totally devoted to the game your playing or hate it completely!

The sluggishness of the AI bothered me, too. 333mhz seemed to make it a bit more tolerable, but that may just be me imagining things.

Cloudy

Banned
The game is great. With all the crap/ported RPGs on the system, this game and Brave Story are great additions to the PSP lineup..

jiggle

badcrumble said:
Anybody know where to find
Roger
's Gem of Portent? I have the Gem of Blood and the Gem of Darkness but hell if I have any idea where to find that one.

Is that his gem?
I got it, but was wondering why no one could use it.

Anyways, that gem is from the bonus stage where u have to trap 2 dragons behind a gate..."Castle Vilneaux"

Diablos

Umm... the battle at
Patay
- WTF? Talk about outnumbered!

Please tell me all I have to do is kill off
Bartolomeo
I can't stay alive if I try to defeat everyone, my party has no chance when the reinforcements come.

BlueTsunami

Diablos said:
Umm... the battle at
Patay

Bartolomeo
I can't stay alive if I try to defeat everyone, my party has no chance when the reinforcements come.

I won that fight while I was at work and yeah, you have to defeat everyone. Its a pain in the ass since theres a noticeable jump in difficulty with the enemies.

Eric P

i don't think enough people are praising this game for its historical accuracy.

but i love this game a lot.

i was kind of surprised that it make me stop playing Brave Story, because i was really enjoying that as well

PistolGrip said:
what are you smoking? the issues are very real i have stopped binding just because of the annoying wait.

and WTF
i leveled up jeanne to 34, gave her fruits etc etc and completely ignored liane now suddenly the game kills her off and somehow expects me to move forward with a level 15 character which can't even hit an enemy ? To add to the woes gilles my second main charcter just left WTF Level 5? please someone tell me that jeanne/gilles comeback after a couple of levels or i am not playing this anymore

Superman00

Liverpool01
devilscallmedad said:
what are you smoking? the issues are very real i have stopped binding just because of the annoying wait.

and WTF
i leveled up jeanne to 34, gave her fruits etc etc and completely ignored liane now suddenly the game kills her off and somehow expects me to move forward with a level 15 character which can't even hit an enemy ? To add to the woes gilles my second main charcter just left WTF Level 5? please someone tell me that jeanne/gilles comeback after a couple of levels or i am not playing this anymore

Which is why you should keep all the characters lvl. Don't just lvl a few and forget all the others. I play the game on 333mhz, and its pretty fast.

Yes they both will return after a couple of battle, Jeanne also will get a new armlet

Superman00

Liverpool01
Diablos said:
Umm... the battle at
Patay

Bartolomeo

That stage is pretty easy, you should lvl up the characters a bit at the free stage. I just whittle down the enemies health and let Jeanne and Gilles transformation annihilate them all. Kill like 5 or 6 enemies per turn easily.

mint said:
game is too sloooooowwwwww for my tastes. bring on fft kthx.

Get the custom firmware and up the speed. Make the game faster.

Superman00

Liverpool01
Mefisutoferesu said:
Is there a lot of slow down in the game or are you simply using some sort of fast forward option in with the custom firmware?

There is an option to set the speed of the psp to 333mhz, it makes the game faster. The load times between stages are only 3 or 4 second for me. Matches are fast too.

Anno

I don't consider the game slow at all. Maybe the pace of the battles sometimes, but not the load times. They fall somewhere between FFT and the Tactics Ogre games, probably.

Patay can be hard, just 'cause there are a lot of enemies. You should have access to an AoE spell by now though. That + Godspeed should wreck 3-6 enemies in a turn if you plan it well, though. I don't think it was unduly difficult.

That's actually something I like about the game. A lot of the stages appear very overwhelming at first, then when you transform and start slaying legions of enemies you feel pretty badass. I like that the transformations are utterly required to win most of the stages, not just an option to make them go faster like in Free Battles.

the-iek

got the game on monday, i was on vacation so i had a lot of time to play the game. atm i'm at chapter 5, right after i go to
get roger and lianne back
. i like it very much so far, the story starts to unfold, has a few good twists... now i'm going back to my psp :lol

Kammie

Started it off today. Impressive presentation, and for once I'm actually liking anime cutscenes. The pacing is dreadfully slow, but if the battles require good strategy and management, I'll probably stick through it.

One thing I don't understand, however: with all the anti-religious slants that previous JRPGs have taken, why the hell is Jeanne not hearing God's voice? Please don't tell me they've substituted that for a freaking speaking armlet. Talk about squandering a potentially interesting plot element. :(

the-iek

huh? jeanne is very religious and you can hear her praying a lot of times to a god. so you'd want her to talk with jesus? would this be any better? :D

ethelred

Cloudy said:
The game is great. With all the crap/ported RPGs on the system, this game and Brave Story are great additions to the PSP lineup..

Absolutely. I've been getting more time lately to play it at work (since home is P3 time until I finish it), and I'm really enjoying it. The presentation is through the roof, the music's a whole lot better than I expected, and the gameplay is fun.

Oldschool said:
Best game available on PSP.

Yeah, you know, I think I'd have to say it's my favorite PSP game right now, too.

Oldschool said:
And 2nd best SRPG ever.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not get carried away. It's not even close to 2nd best SRPG ever, great as it is.

Captain N

I am waiting to pick this up when I get the final fantasy bundle. I loved the demo and can't wait to load this bad boy up for the first time and really sink my teeth into it.

Alex

I think it might be time for me to get a PSP, the software library on this thing has really, really fleshed out. I think I want more on it than on the DS now. Portables have gotten so good...

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Kammie said:
One thing I don't understand, however: with all the anti-religious slants that previous JRPGs have taken, why the hell is Jeanne not hearing God's voice? Please don't tell me they've substituted that for a freaking speaking armlet. Talk about squandering a potentially interesting plot element. :(

Well, to me it's quite obvious she believes it's the voice of god she's hearing. Whether or not that turns out to be true or just some silly animu spirit living in the armlet remains to be seen (as I haven't even finished the game), but I sure hope it's some kind of representation of god at least. :p

Galactic Fork

I'm debating on whether or not to write a really long post on why I won't play this game anymore. It would be a long block of spoiler text filled with my bitter tearful ranting! I want to get it off my chest, but even with the spoiler covering, I'm worried I'll give away something to somebody who hasn't progressed that far.

Anno

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I'm debating on whether or not to write a really long post on why I won't play this game anymore. It would be a long block of spoiler text filled with my bitter tearful ranting! I want to get it off my chest, but even with the spoiler covering, I'm worried I'll give away something to somebody who hasn't progressed that far.

I'd actually be curious to hear this. Just /spoiler it!

Diablos

Superman00 said:
That stage is pretty easy, you should lvl up the characters a bit at the free stage. I just whittle down the enemies health and let Jeanne and Gilles transformation annihilate them all. Kill like 5 or 6 enemies per turn easily.
Yeah, I was able to get through it on the second try.

Those damn reinforcements kept coming, I wanted to pull my hair out. Surprisingly only one of my guys died.

Now
Jeanne is "dead" and until she's discovered again I have to use... Liane? lolz, she has like 86 HP, I never use her.

BlueTsunami

Drinky Crow said:
so give liane a couple HP+ skills.

Thats exactly what I did

Diablo, just power level her with "EXP Bonus" (if you've got it) and you can make HP+100 at that point.

Anno

Diablos said:
Yeah, I was able to get through it on the second try.

Those damn reinforcements kept coming, I wanted to pull my hair out. Surprisingly only one of my guys died.

Now
Jeanne is "dead" and until she's discovered again I have to use... Liane? lolz, she has like 86 HP, I never use her.

Sufficiently leveled she's actually much better than I expected. She gives up some attack and defense to Jeanne, but has better accuracy and more MP. Level her up a bit and you won't be too disappointed. She also grows decently as a character.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
<@paper> heh
<@paper> you know what's weird?
<@paper> I saw Jeanne d'Arc on sale at Target
<@paper> in a
<@paper> "we gotta get rid of this shit, sho nuff" sort of way
<@Martyr> oh?
<shroudie> eh, not too bad
<@Martyr> that sucks
<@paper> yea
<@Martyr> game's supposed to be pretty cool
<@paper> it's only been out what? two weeks/

Hmm. Wonder what the actual numbers are.

Rummy Bunnz said:
The sluggishness of the AI bothered me, too. 333mhz seemed to make it a bit more tolerable, but that may just be me imagining things.

Where is the setting for this again? I have 3.40 OE-A.

Hold down R while the system's starting up. You can choose CPU speed in there.

If there's an easier way to do it I'd love to know about it!

Galactic Fork

Well, I decided to go ahead and post my big "why I won't be playing Jeanne d'Arc anymore" rant. This gives away major plot points so if you are just starting, or planning to buy it, don't read this. Actually you shouldn't even read this if you haven't beaten the game, just to be on the safe side. If you still want to read, get ready for bitter hysteria! Oh, and I'm sorry in advance!

<~~~~~Big spoilers warning!~~~~~~>

I know some of the people may not like Liane, but she is my favorite character in the story. Actually I didn't care too much about Jeanne and her voice in her head induced quest, I was more interested the best friend who came along to support Jeanne. Maybe because I just got done replaying suikoden 2, I got serious Nanami vibes from her (Though admittedly a little more whiny). Also I tend to be drawn more towards the secondary best friend characters whose motivation tend to be more personal than the typical main characters' "I must succeed" behavior. So anyway, I wanted to see how Liane developed... Then the fuckers go off and kill her! As I said before, I never really cared much for Jeanne's quest, so why bother now that the only draw for me is dead?

It's not only THAT she died, if it was just that, I would have trudged on, it was the surrounding factors, both a matter of writing and game design. First, the big scene of them finding her burning body could have been a great moment and could have had closure, but no! The dramaqueen Roger had to destroy the moment by turning into a demon. Suddenly the loss of Liane becomes secondary to what do we do about Roger and these Reapers. Who cares about Liane? Roger's in trouble! Even right after that stupid frog (more on that in a moment) tried to cheer her up, she sadly said Roger's name first, and Liane was an afterthought!

They should let Roger rot, he knew about the plan to capture her, he was there, he didn't intervene until he last minute. Did he even think of warning her when he saw her earlier? No! Lianne was under a lot of stress and that bastard abandons her! Then doesn't even succeed in rescuing her because he has to be all posessed dramaqueen guy! But of course he gets saved and has an armband of his own later. After he got Liane killed!

Then if that wasn't bad enough, the character that comes in as Liane's replacement is a stupid talking frog. The worse part of this. (This is a big after the game secret spoiler, so you might want to just skip to the next paragraph if you don't want to know) The only way to get Liane back is to have her come back posessing the frog after the game is over! Let's just have even more insult there!

So, as far as plot goes. Liane's gone, I don't care much for Jeanne's quest, Roger the dramaqueen comes back all forgiven and happy as a team member again with new powers, and her replacement is a frog! So why should I even care what happens next? I see no motivation storywise to keep going!

So I made up my own ending. Jeanne gives up, realizing if she can't even protect her best friend, she shouldn't bother to try protecting France. France, and then the world is destroyed by evil. Roger gets consumed by the Reaper and helps destroy france, and then the world. Oh, and all the main characters cook up and eat that stupid talking frog. I like my ending.

OK, now for why the game design is pissing me off. I'm not one to usually mind linear stories. Honestly if the plot's good, I like it linear. But Jeanne D'Arc does it wrong. It just seems like the actions you do while playing have absolutely nothing to do with the story... It's almost like the strategy aspects are just there to take time and aren't related to the plot at all.

For example, if you choose to go to the mage city while you have liane, the mage girl challenges her after, and Liane freaks out and falls over... But Liane is a pretty darn good fighter if leveled up. Comparable to Jeanne, especially with an armband and she could take out that mage girl fine if it was 1 on 1. But they just have her freak out.

The escape from the prison might have been an interesting stage, Or let the player have only liane against all those soldiers when she was separated from everybody. Or let her be rescued if you complete the previous battle fast enough. But all this is done in cutscenes. Why bother even playing if nothing you do actually affects anything, and game changing events are completely out of your control? (From a gamplay standpoint, jeanne falling off the cliff also bugged me, but that was softend by having Liane take over.)

Also, the gameplay itself is kinda simplistic compared to other SRPGs, I do like the customization of the stones, but it doesn't seem like enough. And the battles, at least for me, have been a little too easy. But all that would be forgivable if the plot didn't ruin it for me.

OK, that concludes my big rant on why I won't play Jeanne D'arc anymore. If you read this, umm thanks! And I refer back to my apology at the beginning of the post.

Anno

jiggle said:
don't spend permanent stat up on
Liane!

Meh. Liane = Cuisses stat-for-stat after she dies, so go ahead and use 'em.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
(wallofblacktext)

Also, the gameplay itself is kinda simplistic compared to other SRPGs, I do like the customization of the stones, but it doesn't seem like enough. And the battles, at least for me, have been a little too easy. But all that would be forgivable if the plot didn't ruin it for me.

OK, that concludes my big rant on why I won't play Jeanne D'arc anymore. If you read this, umm thanks! And I refer back to my apology at the beginning of the post.

That's...expected, truthfully. I can't decide whether you take it too seriously or not, but I'll chalk it up to just really being into the story.

Am I the only one that finds this game just as challenging as any other? I mean, I've had more game-overs in this game than I ever did in either Tactics Ogre or FFT, which are the others with which I have the most experience. Granted, most of these game overs come from failing the missions with different objectives or just out of pure bad luck, but still. The difficulty of the fights seems very middle of the road to me, but I hardly ever Free Battle.

kassatsu

Banned
Rummy Bunnz said:
Hold down R while the system's starting up. You can choose CPU speed in there.

If there's an easier way to do it I'd love to know about it!
If you are using 3.52 M33-4 you can access it from the xmb by pressing [Home]

Top Bottom