• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Jeanne D'arc Thread - SRPG goodness from Level5 for 29.99$

Ok, So i'm on Stage 14
Brother Richard
and most of my characters (with the acception of Jeanne) do shit damage. They're all in the level 25-30 range and they don't seem to phase the current crop of enemies. I have to rely on wearing down a few of them, then transforming Jeanne and picking them off one by one.

Anno

DXMachina said:
Ok, So i'm on Stage 14
Brother Richard
and most of my characters (with the acception of Jeanne) do shit damage. They're all in the level 25-30 range and they don't seem to phase the current crop of enemies. I have to rely on wearing down a few of them, then transforming Jeanne and picking them off one by one.

Uh, who are you using? I don't recall that stage being overly difficult. Richard is actually pretty decent, and the fox-dude is pretty balls, as well as the militiamen.

Anno

Diablos said:
Yeah I already know that
Liane dies
so I won't be
using her much

Don't do that. Seriously.
You have to use her plenty before she dies. She looks slightly like Jeanne for a reason

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Anno said:
Don't do that. Seriously.
You have to use her plenty before she dies. She looks slightly like Jeanne for a reason

Yeah!
Don't let her die in vain! Plus she's stronger than Jeanne, make good use of her while you can.

Kammie

Kiriku said:
Well, to me it's quite obvious she believes it's the voice of god she's hearing. Whether or not that turns out to be true or just some silly animu spirit living in the armlet remains to be seen (as I haven't even finished the game), but I sure hope it's some kind of representation of god at least. :p
Yeah, I'd only played through Domrémy when I wrote that post. Magically on the next cutscene they began saying she was hearing "God's voice."

It would have been better if she'd been hearing this voice ever since she was a child. But hey, there's tentacles and demons and a possessed King Henry, so who cares about historical accuracy. :p

Really liking it so far, though I'm wondering how balanced things may be in the end. For example, the gold pilfering skill nets me 21 gold and 5 or so damage... but enemy drops can be sold for like 250-1000 gold each. And I just got the guy with the pilfering skill, too.

Anno said:
Uh, who are you using? I don't recall that stage being overly difficult. Richard is actually pretty decent, and the fox-dude is pretty balls, as well as the militiamen.

I was using Colet, Lianne, Gilles, Jeanne, and Marcel.

Superman00

Liverpool01
Diablos said:
Yeah I already know that
Liane dies
so I won't be
using her much

You shouldn't do that
After Jeanne leaves your party, you need to rely on Liane a lot cause she got the armlet, plus her magic attack are pretty good.

Superman00

Liverpool01
Kammie said:
Yeah, I'd only played through Domrémy when I wrote that post. Magically on the next cutscene they began saying she was hearing "God's voice."

It would have been better if she'd been hearing this voice ever since she was a child. But hey, there's tentacles and demons and a possessed King Henry, so who cares about historical accuracy. :p

Really liking it so far, though I'm wondering how balanced things may be in the end. For example, the gold pilfering skill nets me 21 gold and 5 or so damage... but enemy drops can be sold for like 250-1000 gold each. And I just got the guy with the pilfering skill, too.

Actually its not god, :D
, its actually easy to make money, some skills sell for 1k or more and you get a lot of them after while. The only thing is that when you upgrade the equipment for the party, it take a huge dent in your money pile.

the-iek

ok. chapter 6 spoiler: just killed the
second reaper
. are my characters too leveled, or are these enemies pretty easy to defeat? i didn't even attack the other ones, went straight for the master and kicked his ass in transformation mode.

the_id

its been a while since i got something for my PSP and i love RPGs. but its been a while since i played SRPGs. last one was Vandal Hearts. whats the GAF opinion on this? should i get it or what?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
the_id said:
its been a while since i got something for my PSP and i love RPGs. but its been a while since i played SRPGs. last one was Vandal Hearts. whats the GAF opinion on this? should i get it or what?

Yes, despite my anger, hatred, and bitterness, I have to say it's a quality title!

the_id

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Yes, despite my anger, hatred, and bitterness, I have to say it's a quality title!

Just ordered it. should arrive by friday. woot woot! oh shit...theis though...

Tiktaalik

I didn't use one of the characters for a mission, and now he seems several levels behind everyone else. In a recent battle one of the bad guys one hit killed him. What do I do with him? This is only the 4th mission or so in the game, does he get experience if I don't use him or get kills with him?

I guess I could keep him in the back and only bring him out to finish people off?

Seth C

Tiktaalik said:
I didn't use one of the characters for a mission, and now he seems several levels behind everyone else. In a recent battle one of the bad guys one hit killed him. What do I do with him? This is only the 4th mission or so in the game, does he get experience if I don't use him or get kills with him?

I guess I could keep him in the back and only bring him out to finish people off?

Experience gained is based on the level differential with a base of 5 exp. So you always get 5 exp healing yourself and things like that. However, yes, if you bring him out to put in the finishing blow on an enemy that is several levels higher than your character he should gain plenty of exp. For example, late in the game I was actually able to get over 2000 exp from one killing blow (yeah, that's 20 levels in one hit).

I've finished the game so if anyone has questions feel free.

the-iek

chapter 7: i'm at the
therion warren
, but these fuckers kick my ass. think i'll have to gain some levels first, the monsters were level 44, jeanne was 49, but still no chance.

Tiktaalik

I'm still early on, at the first mission where you have an archer and though I've tried probably 7 times. I cannot beat it at all. The knight at the end eventually tracks down my weakest guy, and before I can heal him, he one hits him.

I thought maybe I'd be able to sneak by him and land a guy on the square to exit the level, but it turns out you have to do that for every character, so that's not going to work.

I feel like I'm too low level, but I've saved at the entrance to this level, and I don't see how I can exit it.

john tv

Tiktaalik said:
I'm still early on, at the first mission where you have an archer and though I've tried probably 7 times. I cannot beat it at all. The knight at the end eventually tracks down my weakest guy, and before I can heal him, he one hits him.

I thought maybe I'd be able to sneak by him and land a guy on the square to exit the level, but it turns out you have to do that for every character, so that's not going to work.

I feel like I'm too low level, but I've saved at the entrance to this level, and I don't see how I can exit it.
The warning at the save screen is there precisely so you can avoid this kind of situation. :)

Kingpen

i played this and field commander over my 7 day vacation last week and must say that I am really impressed with Jeanne D'Arc. A game that wasn't on my radar at all until I saw you guys drooling over it in this thread.

Thanks all for the recommendation to pick it up.

Tiktaalik

john tv said:
The warning at the save screen is there precisely so you can avoid this kind of situation. :)

How did I miss that :( :(

I usually play pretty late at night so maybe I was tired and missed it :(

the-iek

my problem with the game is the difficulty. like i posted earlier, i had some problems beating this one stage. i leveled a bit, the stage was not too hard and not too easy. but on the next stage, it's totally different: the enemies are too weak, i beat them with one single transformation. next stage, same thing happened again...

Tiktaalik said:

That level was a real disappointathon for me the first time, since beating all the enemies does not make you clear the stage my last guy had one turn left on the clock before he could escape, every enemy was killed but I failed because of him not getting to the exit. :(

The source of all evil though is the 17:th stage
protect the Dauphin... reinforcements has arrived! *pop*
That made my blood boil.

mint

Banned
to me..i feel this game was decent, but kind of overrated. flaws are easily noticeable, such as load times, poor character design, and bland story (too simple). i'm awaiting ffta2..a game thats sure to kill this so called "srpg" by level 5

Flynn

Danne-Danger said:
That level was a real disappointathon for me the first time, since beating all the enemies does not make you clear the stage my last guy had one turn left on the clock before he could escape, every enemy was killed but I failed because of him not getting to the exit. :(

The source of all evil though is the 17:th stage
protect the Dauphin... reinforcements has arrived! *pop*
That made my blood boil.

hehe, leave one of your axemen behind to guard the entrance and that one is much easier. Let you archers save up for their long distance shots and you're good to go.

Flynn said:
hehe, leave one of your axemen behind to guard the entrance and that one is much easier. Let you archers save up for their long distance shots and you're good to go.

Yup, it's easy once you know it, which I didn't the first time. It was just an awesomely cheap trick.

I did beat it on the second try, leaving the cat-man behind.

shangius

Tiktaalik said:

I was stuck in this mission for quite a few tries too (I hadn't done any extra leveling). The problem is the archer dude you have who is both slow and vulnerable to melee, so the way I eventually beat is was to make the archer use the item that boosts your movement speed for the next 4 turns. That way I was able to cover him enough to get him to the exit past the knight.

My route was up over the bridge and then along the left edge outside the aggro-radius of the knight (press circle over him, he only "activates" once you step inside his attack range).

Has anyone else finished the game?
did you notice how well they tied the story to real world events particularly the whole gem/demon trapped inside " Gilles ", in real world when the war ended gilles turned into a serial killer /rapist he would kidnap teenagers ( msotly boys ) rape them and then sacrifice them to a "demon"

Diablos

Superman00 said:
You shouldn't do that
After Jeanne leaves your party, you need to rely on Liane a lot cause she got the armlet, plus her magic attack are pretty good.
I KNOW that.

I'm still not using her. I just have her go run in the corner of a map and occasionally let her heal.

When
does Liane die and when does Jeanne come back, dammit?! I just finished Paris Ramparts.

DustinC

Maybe I'm missing something here, (Stage 23 or 24, can't remember)
but this first Reaper fight is pissing me off. It takes my characters for fucking ever to get around to Jeanne, and all I can do with Jeanne is run from one side of the room she's stuck in to the next, getting hit with Thunderbolt 2, and using up all my healing items.

I tried attacking the Reaper with her, which ended up being useless because he has that stupid Auto-Heal shit every turn.

I've enjoyed the game up to this point.

Seth C

mint said:
to me..i feel this game was decent, but kind of overrated. flaws are easily noticeable, such as load times, poor character design, and bland story (too simple). i'm awaiting ffta2..a game thats sure to kill this so called "srpg" by level 5

I agree. Maybe I've just played too many of these things, or perhaps I feel for the typical GAF overhype. I'm not sure exactly. I definitely enjoyed the game but it was far too easy, wasted what could have been a great story, and just on the whole became very tedious about halfway through. It's not a bad game at all but isn't the greatness some have made it out to be.

DustinC said:
but this first Reaper fight is pissing me off. It takes my characters for fucking ever to get around to Jeanne, and all I can do with Jeanne is run from one side of the room she's stuck in to the next, getting hit with Thunderbolt 2, and using up all my healing items.

I tried attacking the Reaper with her, which ended up being useless because he has that stupid Auto-Heal shit every turn.

I wish I could help you, but honestly by the time I got to this point in the game I was strong enough that Jeanne could actually do more damage to him than he could recover, using Triple Strike I think. She also had HP Recovery I or II. Basically, I had him killed with Jeanne alone by the time the rest of the party made it around.

the-iek

DXMachina said:
I'm on the second stage after that and no Jeanne yet...I'm sick of Liane.
woah, sorry. paris ramparts is the stage
where jeanne disappears
? jeanne
returns at chapter 5

DustinC

Seth C said:
I wish I could help you, but honestly by the time I got to this point in the game I was strong enough that Jeanne could actually do more damage to him than he could recover, using Triple Strike I think. She also had HP Recovery I or II. Basically, I had him killed with Jeanne alone by the time the rest of the party made it around.

Ahh. I should take a look at my available skills and see if I can bind up something better then.

the-iek said:
woah, sorry. paris ramparts is the stage
where jeanne disappears
? jeanne
returns at chapter 5

Jeanne leaves a few before then, Paris Ramparts is where Liane starts acting crazy.

Superman00

Liverpool01
Diablos said:
I KNOW that.

I'm still not using her. I just have her go run in the corner of a map and occasionally let her heal.

When
does Liane die and when does Jeanne come back, dammit?! I just finished Paris Ramparts.
Jeanne comes back after Clairoix
spoilers on what happen to Liane.
Liane will be burn at the stake, and the Liane will be replace by the frog.

I already beat the game. My character are around lvl 70+ now. I'm try to get to 99 and beat the Colosseum.
The Colosseum is insane, even at lvl 99, it hard as hell to beat it.

Superman00

Liverpool01
DustinC said:

It was easy for me, he usually try to melee me and missed. Jeanne did more damage than he could heal, so I just whittle away at his health. I had Jeanne equip 2 Rounds, which sometimes hits him twice. Then I had the archers equip sky dart, which can shoot at anywhere on the map dealing additional damage to him.

Diablos

Superman00 said:
Jeanne comes back after Clairoix
spoilers on what happen to Liane.
Liane will be burn at the stake, and the Liane will be replace by the frog.

huahuahuahua

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Wow, what happen to
Liane is pretty graphic. I was half expecting Level5 to show the full burnt body from how far they went but they just showed her toe (in the animation). Even fully expecting her death, I though she would die in battle...not burned at the stake. Then Roger and Jeanne both running, hoping to be in time but Jeanne sees the burning fire over the hill and Roger is crushed by it was just woah.

I wish more Japanese games in general were more mature in this regard, not editing out mature situations like the one above in hope of the game being more of an emotional experience too.

Liane being replaced by the "Coa Coa" frog was pretty wtf :lol

Superman00 said:
I already beat the game. My character are around lvl 70+ now. I'm try to get to 99 and beat the Colosseum.
The Colosseum is insane, even at lvl 99, it hard as hell to beat it.

FUCK, I'm playing through the Colesseum right now with Jeanne and Gilles. I'm only at lvl 42 :lol. I thought I would be powerful enough!

May16

I didn't plan on linking this initially, but we got more entries for the beard growing contest than we're getting for this one, so ah, if anyone wants to win one for a friend or for eBay or if you're just trolling the thread and don't have the game, here ya go: http://rpgland.com/content/?p=1212
Pretty easy contest if you ask me. Dunno how more people were willing to grow beards and send pics than write a little diddy about a date with Joan of Arc.

Superman00

Liverpool01
BlueTsunami said:
Wow, what happen to
Liane is pretty graphic. I was half expecting Level5 to show the full burnt body from how far they went but they just showed her toe (in the animation). Even fully expecting her death, I though she would die in battle...not burned at the stake. Then Roger and Jeanne both running, hoping to be in time but Jeanne sees the burning fire over the hill and Roger is crushed by it was just woah.

I wish more Japanese games in general were more mature in this regard, not editing out mature situations like the one above in hope of the game being more of an emotional experience too.

Liane being replaced by the "Coa Coa" frog was pretty wtf :lol

FUCK, I'm playing through the Colesseum right now with Jeanne and Gilles. I'm only at lvl 42 :lol. I thought I would be powerful enough!

There is actually 3 run of the Colosseum. This is probably your first, the last 1 is the impossible 1.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
???

The game is a cakewalk so far, but still enjoyable.

I was able to kill the coliseum with just gilles and jean both at level 60, but they could've been level 50 since they were so strong

That one pic with those trolls is a pain in the neck since so many things are locked on that stage.

the-iek

Kuro Madoushi said:
???
That one pic with those trolls is a pain in the neck since so many things are locked on that stage.
there weren't even trolls when i played it, just those bedford monsters. and you know, that
you were able to destroy these limitations, right?
:lol

DustinC said:

Well what i did was *ahem* take jeanne to the opposite side near the dragon, lure the reaper to the closed door by taking a character near that and he'll basically just stick to the wall trying to throw spells at the outside characters.

Flynn

devilscallmedad said:
Well what i did was *ahem* take jeanne to the opposite side near the dragon, lure the reaper to the closed door by taking a character near that and he'll basically just stick to the wall trying to throw spells at the outside characters.

Jeanne can essentially kite the reaper while the other characters make their way to her aid. Just run as far as Jeanne can go, make sure she's got a heal or a recover equipped and you're in good shape. This is one of those levels where efficient dispatching of trash monsters pays off.

Top Bottom