• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Pokemon Platinum Thread of Catching Them All (Again)

• Thread starter Deleted member 21120
  • Start date
biggyfries said:
I dont remember needing to do the contests for the 3rd badge in the jpn version.

how do i get the gym boss back to her gym again?
She's in the contest building, right? I just talked to her and she went back. It's that easy.

Captain N

I need to grind some of my Pokemon because I've got one at 36 and the rest are at 18 or 20.

Blu_LED said:
Finally got my copy :D :D

Will play tomorrow.

Wal-Mart! woot woot

biggyfries said:
I dont remember needing to do the contests for the 3rd badge in the jpn version.

how do i get the gym boss back to her gym again?

Yeah, she is there when you first walking into the contest building. I believe she's wearing purple to the right after entering the building.

Chozo

Yay, beat the game and got my Battle Factory print.

18 hours in four days? No, I don't have a problem. Honest.

Now I'm breeding Gible for the Battle Hall. Oh 26/31/30/2/23/31 Jolly Gible, why must you break my heart with your shitty special attack?

Blizzard

Banned
TheGrayGhost said:
Someone earlier posted a chatroom where a bunch of SSBB and Pokemon vets get together and talk. May I be invited please?

I don't have a handy web IRC client link, but any IRC client will work. irc.globalgamers.net, channel #gaf_wfc should be correct!

Jiggy

TheGrayGhost said:
Someone earlier posted a chatroom where a bunch of SSBB and Pokemon vets get together and talk. May I be invited please?
Well, in fairness, we don't particularly stick to subjects. Except me, I guess. I typically spend at least four hours per week talking about--well:

[22:57] <Rotanibor> jiggy i challenge you to not talk about a tales game for ONE WHOLE DAY
[22:58] <Jiggy500> I've done that before. >_>
[22:58] <Rotanibor> lies
Anyway: http://www.globalgamers.net/?p=webchat

After signing in with a name, type this: /join #gaf_wfc

I know you've probably been PMed and all, but it can't hurt for anyone else who's wondering how to get in here.

Hey sorry if this was asked before and what not, but have the loading times been sped up? Also for those of you that have beaten the main game did the changes make it feel like a new journey?

Captain N

Urban Scholar said:
Hey sorry if this was asked before and what not, but have the loading times been sped up? Also for those of you that have beaten the main game did the changes make it feel like a new journey?

I'm about to get my 4th badge, but so far..I'd say it feels more like deleted or alternate scenes

5 hours, 3 badges, and my 'mans:
Luxray, named AC/DC lvl 32
Monferno, named BackDraft lvl 28
Eevee from Bebe
Nosepass
Togepi

trying to go thru this game with as few as possible. Just need a water type, which Im holding out for Gyarados, or maybe xfer a piplup over from my other game.

Giard

Chozo said:
Yay, beat the game and got my Battle Factory print.

18 hours in four days? No, I don't have a problem. Honest.

Now I'm breeding Gible for the Battle Hall. Oh 26/31/30/2/23/31 Jolly Gible, why must you break my heart with your shitty special attack?
..Why aren't you keeping it? The only special move that Gible should use is Draco Meteor, no?

I've managed to transfer my Diamond pokés to my Platinum cart, they won't obey me ;_;

Alright I think the dude who was gonna trade me a Charmander and Chikorita bailed on me. Is anyone else able and willing to help a brother out? I don't have much to trade, but I'd be sure happy that you did it for me!

Preferably low level, untrained, and even eggs.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
biggyfries said:
trying to go thru this game with as few as possible. Just need a water type, which Im holding out for Gyarados, or maybe xfer a piplup over from my other game.
If you're going for "as few as possible," you shouldn't be using a full team of 6.

In my playthrough of Pearl, I stuck to a Torterra+Mismagius+Rapidash combo and breezed through the singleplayer in no time flat. Enough attack variety to never be at a type disadvantage for the gyms/elite4 and only splitting EXP three ways.

Giratina was a bitch to catch. I twice managed to get him paralyzed, whittle him down to a pixel of health, and Double Team my Staraptor to make her basically untouchable (normal type=no ghost moves, maxed evasion=nothing else), then I threw Ultra Balls to no avail until he ran out of PP and struggled himself to death (first time) or I accidentally killed him (second). Thankfully, on my third try, I figured I'd fling my one Dusk Ball at him. It totally worked. Plus, now he has a badass shadow cloud when I call him out! Totally appropriate!

Team right now's Torterra, Giratina, Houndoom, Jolteon, Gyarados, and Kadabra (gotta trade him around for Alakazam, but no WiFi in my dorm makes getting online a pain in the ass.) Just gotta find a good place to grind my guys up a little for the eighth gym, then I'm beating this game.

Man, if I wasn't finaling a game right now I'd be much more active here.

I'm taking a different approach with Platinum, since I'm already 492/493 on Pearl. Trying to build a different team just to see how it works out - pokemon I've never really trained from the ground up. I'm also trying to avoid the usual crutch of electric/fire types.

Lv.9 Manaphy: Because he's a not-always-banned legendary that starts at lv.1. Tail glow!
Lv.7 Skorupi: I adore crithax. yay scope lens. My concession to previous games.
Lv.8 Riolo: Never bothered using him in Pearl. Damn he's weak right now though.
Lv.13 Turtwig: Probably drop him for Shaymin when I have the badges.

Figure I'll keep the rest open for catches, but thinking of getting a ghost and normal type to round it out.

Jiggy

Ugh, it's times like this (the post-game) that I really resent My Pokemon Ranch. :/ I've got 290 Rare Candies, 78 PP Ups/PP Maxes, at least 30 of each stat booster, two Life Orbs/Magmarizers/Electirizers, four Focus Sashes, over a dozen Leftovers, one of each Power item, 11 Dragon Claw TMs, five Calm Mind TMs, eight Toxic TMs, seven Earthquake TMs--and so, so, so many other goodies.

But because of what is and isn't possible with MPR, I either have to use an enormous series of trades to transfer these to Platinum, which will take forever now, or I keep them in Pearl and make trades whenever I want to teach a move or hold an item, which will take forever later.

So annoying.

...And before anyone asks about the Rare Candies, I never use the things except for checking the stats of a freshly-hatched Pokemon (which is a save/reset job anyway), so I've built up a huge storage after playing Ruby twice, Sapphire, Colosseum twice, Fire Red twice, Leaf Green, Emerald twice, XD, Diamond twice, and Pearl twice, and had a dedicated team of Linoone/Meowth/Phanpy/Pachirisu that accompanied me on nearly every journey to pick up more of them. I think I got fifty or more just from attempting to hunt down a Feebas in R/S/E thanks to that.

Urban Scholar said:
Environments: absolutely not.
Storyline: absolutely not.
Battles: sort of. In D/P the enemies utterly refused to use half-decent Pokemon straight until you hit Victory Road, while in Platinum they start doing it after the second badge or so.

Still not a new journey, though.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Jiggy said:
Ugh, it's times like this (the post-game) that I really resent My Pokemon Ranch. :/ I've got 290 Rare Candies, 78 PP Ups/PP Maxes, at least 30 of each stat booster, two Life Orbs/Magmarizers/Electirizers, four Focus Sashes, over a dozen Leftovers, one of each Power item, 11 Dragon Claw TMs, five Calm Mind TMs, eight Toxic TMs, seven Earthquake TMs--and so, so, so many other goodies.

But because of what is and isn't possible with MPR, I either have to use an enormous series of trades to transfer these to Platinum, which will take forever now, or I keep them in Pearl and make trades whenever I want to teach a move or hold an item, which will take forever later.

So annoying.

...And before anyone asks about the Rare Candies, I never use the things except for checking the stats of a freshly-hatched Pokemon (which is a save/reset job anyway), so I've built up a huge storage after playing Ruby twice, Sapphire, Colosseum twice, Fire Red twice, Leaf Green, Emerald twice, XD, Diamond twice, and Pearl twice, and had a dedicated team of Linoone/Meowth/Phanpy/Pachirisu that accompanied me on nearly every journey to pick up more of them. I think I got fifty or more just from attempting to hunt down a Feebas in R/S/E thanks to that.

I feel you, dude. I've got a ton of awesome stuff in Emerald and FireRed, but I'm not going to spend ten hours trading it all over.

Nintendo, just release a Pokemon Channel already, holy cow.

Cocopjojo said:
Nintendo, just release a Pokemon Channel already, holy cow.
channel.jpg

YOUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED

Does anyone have an EV trained Flygon ? I have a Naive Flygon at 100 EV split Spd/Atk with a dash of HP and it ONLY has 283 HP that doesn't seem right.

Giard

Anerythristic said:
Does anyone have an EV trained Flygon ? I have a Naive Flygon at 100 EV split Spd/Atk with a dash of HP and it ONLY has 283 HP that doesn't seem right.
His IVs may suck. If Flygon's HP IVs are 0, he only has 270 HP.

Your Flygon may have around 12 IVs in HP.

Firestorm said:
Depends on what you mean by "major Pokemon Tournaments". If you mean the major tournaments held in the community, that'd be Smogon's. The following would be CURRENTLY banned. Remember that Smogon has been testing Pokemon on a systematic basis for the past year or so and the list is changing constantly:

http://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/uber
Arceus
Darkrai
Deoxys
Deoxys-A
Deoxys-D
Deoxys-S
Dialga
Garchomp
Giratina
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Latios
Lugia
Manaphy
Mew
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Wobbuffet
Wynaut

If you mean tournaments held by Nintendo, they change their rules constantly but for their next tournament, the following Pokemon are banned:

Dragonite (unless from Toys R Us)
Mew
Mewtwo
Tyranitar
Lugia
Ho-oh
Celebi
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Jirachi
Deoxys
Rotom
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina
Phione
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin
Arceus

Smogon does LV100 singles battles 6v6 for the most part. Nintendo does LV50 double battles of 3v3 for the most part.

There are a couple of banned moves and items as well.

Smogon is also experimenting with unbanning Manaphy right now.

Just started. Played for about an hour, and the game is noticeably faster. I'm really excited to dive into this baby. Just got the Poketch.

Teknoman

Well just got back with the game...still have to wait till the 5th (Platinum has been in short supply around here, and i've been itching to use that Toys R Us giftcard from RE5 :lol )

Ended up getting a Mow Rotom(my favorite out of the forms)insert, so that was kinda cool.

Code is 7W6O3M5 for the wallpaper at the site. I think you get some "rare" wallpaper or something after entering all 5 codes.

Teknoman said:
Well just got back with the game...still have to wait till the 5th (Platinum has been in short supply around here, and i've been itching to use that Toys R Us giftcard from RE5 :lol )

Ended up getting a Mow Rotom(my favorite out of the forms)insert, so that was kinda cool.

Code is 7W6O3M5 for the wallpaper at the site. I think you get some "rare" wallpaper or something after entering all 5 codes.
Wait I'm confused, what is the code for? I thought once you get the Key, you can change Rotoms form whenever you want?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Are we using this as the new trade thread? I'm hoping to find someone with extra Shayman and Regigigas from the TRU events. Have some mews from the long ago TRU event to trade.

cdyhybrid

So I'm about to beat the Elite 4 and I'm looking to put together a team for the Battle Frontier and (very) random battles with friends and/or people from forums I frequent. Since I'm not going to be competing in anything serious, I'm just using Pokemon that I find interesting and fun, but they will be EV/IV trained and have good movesets and items - I'll have to actually figure out what those consist of, but that's another story. Anyway, I'm hoping to pick my team out of this list of my favorites, and would appreciate the advice of any more-experienced battlers.

The list:

-Infernape
-Octillery
-Electabuzz/Electavire
-Alakazam
-Drifblim
-Scizor
-Garchomp
-Mamoswine
-Honchkrow
-Heracross

If there's a type/role that can't be filled with one of the guys on the list, I could probably find a Pokemon to fill it. Thanks!

cdyhybrid said:
So I'm about to beat the Elite 4 and I'm looking to put together a team for the Battle Frontier and (very) random battles with friends and/or people from forums I frequent. Since I'm not going to be competing in anything serious, I'm just using Pokemon that I find interesting and fun, but they will be EV/IV trained and have good movesets and items - I'll have to actually figure out what those consist of, but that's another story. Anyway, I'm hoping to pick my team out of this list of my favorites, and would appreciate the advice of any more-experienced battlers.

The list:

-Infernape
-Octillery
-Electabuzz/Electavire
-Alakazam
-Drifblim
-Scizor
-Garchomp
-Mamoswine
-Honchkrow
-Heracross

If there's a type/role that can't be filled with one of the guys on the list, I could probably find a Pokemon to fill it. Thanks!

From that list, I'd go with these six:

Infernape- Fire/Fighting
Mamoswine- Ice/Ground
Drifblim- Ghost/Flying
Scizor- Bug/Steel
Electavire- Electric
Garchomp- Ground/Dragon

That way you have 10 types covered, a FANTASTIC variety, and all of your Pokemon will be powerful.

jman2050 said:
Wait, how is Garchomp banned but not Tyranitar?
Tyranitar can be OHKO'd by pretty much any fighting move. Garchomp can be OHKO'd by pretty much any ice move but the majority of ice-move users are much slower than Garchomp and so it wouldn't really matter. Tyranitar on the other hand, is slow and has a hard time.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Soft resetting for Giratina-O right now. JPN Platinum yielded me a decent Another World Form Giratina. I'd prefer Modest for a Calm Mind set, but I'm open to anything (even pure physical) with a good nature and 'decent' IVs.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
jrricky said:
I know about EV training been doing it for a while. But what are pokemon IVs?

It's the reason why people spend hours, and hours chain breeding.. basically a 'hidden' value
for every stat ranging from 0-31.. giving extra points to that stat, the higher the IV (31 being tops). It makes a huge difference in competitive play, and can even help you significantly in the Battle Tower.

http://serebii.net/games/ivs.shtml

Teknoman

EVs are as far as im willing to go. IV breeding kinda takes the fun out of Pokemon. Then again I guess it's necessary if you wanna take advantage of certain hidden power types.

Firestorm

Wii Will Rock U said:
Tyranitar can be OHKO'd by pretty much any fighting move. Garchomp can be OHKO'd by pretty much any ice move but the majority of ice-move users are much slower than Garchomp and so it wouldn't really matter. Tyranitar on the other hand, is slow and has a hard time.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.
Nope. Most Ice Beams won't kill him actually as a lot of the types that use Ice Beam are defensive water types that can't get past his ridiculous stats. I remember my Milotic had a 0% chance of OHKOing him so I had to use an Expert Belt over leftovers just for that.

Michan

My girlfriend bought it for me as a birthday present, and I've just got my first badge.

I'm thinking of breeding on Pearl for IVs and transferring them over to Platinum to train for EVs. Would the transfer have an impact on the EV stats?

Also, any hints for IV breeding and EV training? I haven't done it before, but I enjoy this kind of thing.

And finally, is there a list of recommended accepted Pokemon for battling? I've never really played Pokemon too seriously before, so I'm seeing Platinum as an opportunity.

Jiggy

jman2050 said:
Wait, how is Garchomp banned but not Tyranitar?
The only things Garchomp truly fears are Will-O-Wisp, Ice Beam, Weavile Ice Punch, and Mamoswine Ice Shard, and not even always those last three if it was carrying a certain berry. That's pretty much the extent of it, as users of strong Dragon moves are going to be slower than Garchomp anyway unless they're holding Choice Scarves.

Tyranitar, on the other hand, is outsped by just about everything in the Pokemon world unless it gets a Dragon Dance in or is carrying a Choice Scarf. It can be crippled by Will-O-Wisp like Garchomp, but unlike Garchomp it can't switch in on Thunder Wave for free. Psychic immunity is much less useful than Electric immunity overall. Its strongest STAB attacks are Stone Edge (100 power, 80% accuracy) and Crunch (80 power, 100% accuracy), while Garchomp gets Earthquake (100 power, 100% accuracy) and either Dragon Claw (80 power, 100% accuracy) or Outrage (120 power, 100% accuracy, locks in), which is a better scenario for Garchomp no matter which way it goes.

And as for what moves Tyranitar fears: Close Combat, Focus Blast, Earthquake, Seed Bomb, Power Whip, X-Scissor, Bullet Punch, Brick Break, Superpower, Aura Sphere, Megahorn, Waterfall, Meteor Mash, Gyro Ball (if using Dragon Dance or Choice Scarf), Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, Choice Band U-Turn to an extent (how large the extent depends on the Pokemon, but Scizor's going to mean a lot of pain). A much greater list of weaknesses.

Michan said:
And finally, is there a list of recommended accepted Pokemon for battling? I've never really played Pokemon too seriously before, so I'm seeing Platinum as an opportunity.
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/

The OU (overused) Pokemon, primarily. Though it's not like some UU (underused) and Limbo Pokemon can't shine in the OU metagame.

Just keep in mind that the Uber Pokemon can't be used in the OU metagame (which is what most people play). And OU can not be used in the UU only metagame.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the Day/Night system?

Because I hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE, HATE, HATE the Day/Night system.

vhfive

Pureauthor said:
Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the Day/Night system?

Because I hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE, HATE, HATE the Day/Night system.
the problem i had with day/night was i was only able to play when it was night. but if you change you ds clock then you shouldn't have a problem

Top Bottom