• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Is it possible to play two games at the same time? Like if my lady and I wanted to play co-op but I wanted to play solo at the same time, are there two slots?

Dyno

I GOTZ MAH COPAY!!!

I installed it on the PS3 and played through the first chapter. The reams of comparisons were even a bigger waste of time than usual. What's important is that the game looks georgous!

I also love the inventory system and the fact that everything is on the same save. It's going to be great getting all the weapons and their upgrades. If you think it sucks because you can earn ammo re-doing easy play-throughs then the answer is simple: refrain from doing that and only play continuously forward.

Dahbomb

As far as the game's difficulty is concerned.... Normal is just fine for a starting difficulty and if you are playing solo.

It is challenging in the sense that you still have to avoid being hit or dying from some 1 hit killers (Alligators in the swamp for example killed me a couple of times). Normal mode gives you pretty much the same level of intensity and the will to survive that RE4 did.

The major difference here is that it is more difficult to die. Before people start freaking out, what I mean is that whenever you get to near death situations your partner can bring your health up by resuscitating you. This really is the only thing that makes the game "easier" but I find that even with my vast experience with RE4 (Pro mode beaten with only a handgun plus Mercenaries S ranked and stuff) I still got to that near death point a lot.

The new system helps keep the flow of the game meaning you don't have to restart from checkpoints a lot but still gives the player the sense of "oh shit I can't be too lazy or else I might become a liability for my partner".

Now if you are a hardcore RE4 player AND you have a human partner who is around the same skill level as you then Veteran is the way to go and you will not be disappointed at all. For me my cousin was a first timer so I had to stick with Normal and I felt that both of us got what we wanted.

CoilShot said:
Whats the best weapon to upgrade first?
Dragonuv to Semi and the Handgun to have more Critical hits. Shotgun is good too. If you have the money, ALWAYS go for the upgrade that is the last one which gives your gun an extra property like a sniper being semi-automatic or your pistol having piercing.

I personally always upgrade the Handgun first because it's the gun I use the most. It requires some skill to use though.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Woo!!!! Just picked up my PS3 copy. Probably wont be able to start it until tomorrow due to the massive amount of crap I have going on today.

Cant wait!!!!!

BenjaminBirdie said:
I...don't think that answered my question.

Anyone know the Save Slot situation?

One save file per profile. If you want a coop game and a solo game, you'll need two separate profiles. However, if you don't mind sharing items, weapons, ammo, etc. between your solo and coop games, you can just play it all on one profile and simply use chapter select to hop around.

eXistor

I've been playing it yesterday and today (almost done) and I really do like the game, excpet for a few control-issues, but the thing that I miss most in this new direction (starting with RE4 of course) is the complete lack of tension and horror. I know it's a action game now and not survival-horror anymore, but I felt that was integral to the experience and it's just not there anymore. But you should really see this as a seperate game and it works very well, the constant shoot-outs are starting to bore me a a bit though, but it's not as bad as RE4, which was too long a game anyway. So yeah, solid all the way through.

Oh and the graphics are sick.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Alright, just beat chapter 1 on Veteran solo and it's been incredible so far.

It's a lot harder than I expected already, though I also planned to do co-op from the start and am waiting for someone to get on for that. I didn't actually die at all until the first boss which got me a few times.

One thing I really love so far is the stat tracking, I didn't see anyone post anything about it so I had no idea it existed. It tracks the percentage of use with each weapon, total kills on each enemy, deaths by each enemy, etc. It also shows how many times you were saved and how long your reaction time is, which also shows that the Sheva AI can take a second or two longer to save you on average.

Synless

Are the save files for this game locked on the ps3? I was playing on my friends system last night and we made it pretty far and I really don't wanna start from the beginning on Veteran.

Vyse The Legend said:
One save file per profile. If you want a coop game and a solo game, you'll need two separate profiles. However, if you don't mind sharing items, weapons, ammo, etc. between your solo and coop games, you can just play it all on one profile and simply use chapter select to hop around.

Sounds reasonable.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Stayed up till about 4AM last night getting to chapter 2-1 on Veteran with my friend. Absolutely amazing co-op, it was hard to pull myself away.

Christopher

Got it at Toys R Us then picked up Sonic's Ultimate Gensis Collection for only 10 bucks with the 20 dollar gift card. :lol They were all suppose to be for preorders, but the girl didn't know...I hope she doesn't get in trouble she was nice.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Game really feels like RE4 sans subtlety to me. When the zombie dogs pop up early in the game, for instance, there's a 2 second cut away where Sheva goes, "Watch out! Dogs!" Did you really need to do this? This is a horror series...I could figure out that I need to watch out for the dogs on my own. And it might have actually startled me. Just reminds me of RE1 when the dogs jump through the window...like, wow, imagine if they stopped the game for them to go, "DOGS!!!" Or Leon phoned Claire and told her to watch out for the licker :lol

Christopher

Y2Kev said:
Game really feels like RE4 sans subtlety to me. When the zombie dogs pop up early in the game, for instance, there's a 2 second cut away where Sheva goes, "Watch out! Dogs!" Did you really need to do this? This is a horror series...I could figure out that I need to watch out for the dogs on my own. And it might have actually startled me. Just reminds me of RE1 when the dogs jump through the window...like, wow, imagine if they stopped the game for them to go, "DOGS!!!" Or Leon phoned Claire and told her to watch out for the licker :lol

I wouldn't put it past leon

MoogPaul

Today I goto Toys r Us, get RE5, free 20 gift card, madworld. Then I come home and spend that 20 gift card (stupid 6 hour activation time) and get Pikmin for 10 dollars shipped. Busy day, busier night.

So i played this game last night for about 20 minutes, and I have a question.
At the beginning where Sheva and Chris get their weapons, there a vest in the suitcase that I could not grab because Sheva was in the way, and when I walked around her, it went to the cut scene. Is it super important and I should start all over, or am i good?

Duck Amuck said:
You have the vest equipped once the cutscene rolls. That's the thing Chris wears the entire game.

Even though that's not in my inventory, that's okay? I've seen some videos where there is a vest in the inventory, so that's what I thought it was, unless that was an upgradable vest.

cool_dude_2049 said:
Even though that's not in my inventory, that's okay? I've seen some videos where there is a vest in the inventory, so that's what I thought it was, unless that was an upgradable vest.

You can buy some vests later on in the game. Don't worry about it for now.

woodchuck

i'm at 2-3, and like mentioned above, one of my biggest complaints is the lack of any tension or surprise. you basically always know whats coming and are ready for it. there are no thrills or anything so far.

hopefully the scare factor increases but so far it seems like a regular action game. and no puzzles either so far. strange.

in RE4, one of my favorite moments early in the game was the Chainsaw guy come out of fucking nowhere and just hack me up. There wasn't any cutscene or anything like in this game. even though the chainsaw guy was considered a "boss" in the 1st chapter, it still would have been awesome if you just saw him run straight at you from around the corner with no warning.

Thanks to both of you. I guess i'll just wait then to purchase one. I thought the vest might help me where I quit last night. I'm at that point in the demo where you have to wait for what's his name to pick you up in the chopper and you fight a fuck load of zombies. I'm having trouble doing it with just 20-30 bullets, but then again I only tried it once before I fell asleep.

USD

Kinda of pissed, Toys "R" Us failed me and didn't have their copies in yet, so no $20 gift card for me. I caved and bought it from GameStop. Installing now. Most agonizing 10 minutes ever.

woodchuck

cool_dude_2049 said:
Thanks to both of you. I guess i'll just wait then to purchase one. I thought the vest might help me where I quit last night. I'm at that point in the demo where you have to wait for what's his name to pick you up in the chopper and you fight a fuck load of zombies. I'm having trouble doing it with just 20-30 bullets, but then again I only tried it once before I fell asleep.

for that part:
you gotta shoot the red barrells, keep running around for more bullets. and there's also an electric generator on one of the poles that you can shoot down and electrocute the executioner.

Holy crap I just heard about TRU's $20 gift certificate deal. Does it apply to CE version too? Is it only for preorders? I'm cancelling my gamestop order and picking it up at TRU if this is true

Dahbomb

I remember the swampy area in RE4 at the beginning where you were constantly moving from watery areas to slightly higher wooden bridges. I remember that area because I always feared something would come out of the water and bite me... that didn't happen in RE4 but it happened in RE5! :D

FUCKING ALLIGATORS!!!

woodchuck said:
for that part:
you gotta shoot the red barrells, keep running around for more bullets. and there's also an electric generator on one of the poles that you can shoot down and electrocute the executioner.

Thanks. I'll try that when I get home.

BeeDog

Anyone else annoyed with the FUCKING AWFUL sound quality of the voice acting? Fucking hell, the audio quality during cutscenes is laughable at times.

Fully upgrading the first weapon in each category of gun unlocks a new gun in that category, so I'm sticking with the default stuff on my first run.

Dahbomb

What's this filter option in the game? There is only one option there and that is the default, how do I unlock the other filters? I think this is a potentially cool feature in the game.

Dahbomb said:
What's this filter option in the game? There is only one option there and that is the default, how do I unlock the other filters? I think this is a potentially cool feature in the game.

Beat the game, then go to the Bonus Features menu to unlock the rest.

MoxManiac

Anyone else planning on going through the game solo first? Online co-op sounds great, but i'd like to take my time the first time around. The game sounds like it's fairly short compared to RE4 so if it's good it could easily be replayable.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Dahbomb said:

they're not worth it, i'll just tell you right now so you don't get hyped up expecting something good ..

1/ black and white filter
2/ sepia color filter
3/ silent hill style noise filter

jett

D-Member
TheExodu5 said:
I beg to differ. You're the stupid head. GameTrailers said the cutscenes are done using the in-game engine.

Gametrailers.com stated(wrongly apparently) that they were pre-recorded, so go jump off a cliff and fuck right off.

Just beat the game on Pro mode.

The boss fights were the hardest parts. Because if you screw up a single 1 quick time even you basically die.

Still need to find 4 more emblems to unlock the remaining stuff.

ph15h

Neo Member
Had my doubts about the controls... but they finally clicked. -_- Stupid Toys R Us. I want my $20 giftcard. I'm not satisfied playing my friend's copy... I want RE5 + 20 dollar Gift Card :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
jett said:
Gametrailers.com stated(wrongly apparently) that they were pre-recorded, so go jump off a cliff and fuck right off.

Pre-recorded in-game content doesn't mean FMV, so go double fuck yourself and jump off two cliffs!

Great game thus far. My only scare so far is that me and a friend got on to play for just 2 hours...maybe 2 hours and 30 minutes and got through 2 chapters...and I know there are 6 chapters so that's EXTREMELY worrisome. We're playing at a comfortable pace as well. Not always sprinting at all, sometimes just walking and taking the time to admire the environments, examine things and making sure to find ammo, so I hope that the later chapters are quite long.

Playing on veteran mode now and I'm definitely glad we did it. We've had a few scenarios where ammo has been somewhat scarce and have died a few times so that's awesome. We've definitely had to be more tactical. One funny ass moment was somewhere in Chapter 2 or maybe late in chapter 1 where your moving around some train yards and there are some mines on the wall. We'd slowly approached it and were both taking aim at the mine in a relaxed fashion and then all of a sudden two huge dogs jumped out. We could have easily killed them or hurt them badly by just shooting at the mine we intended to shoot in the first place, but both of our accuracy screwed up badly due to the surprise and we were both firing off random shots and missing badly due to the dogs literally jumping into our reticles :lol.

GOT A QUESTION ABOUT UPGRADES !!! Someone help!!!

I know that there will be new weapons available and what not to get later on so I'm the type of player who will constantly avoid upgrading because I'm afraid I'm upgrading bumass Pistol A only to get badass pistol B later. I know there are improved rifles and machine guns later in the game, but I don't remember seeing screens of new pistols.

So...what should I upgrade? I've only bought melee vest at this point in the game. When can I expect to find better shotguns/ak47's and all that?

cryptic

The water in the ps3 version is some of the worst I've ever seen. It's just so bland looking an you can't see into it at all, like melted metal.

Top Bottom