• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

chandoog said:
yeah, there's a sniper rifle after the market place in the initial village (where you retrieve a key from a hanging corpse, then go over a boat) , where the chopper comes in for the assist. Near the ending door where a few enemies burst through a double door on the far side.

and there's also a sniper rifle in the same room where you have the irving scene where bird woman bails him out. Its in the locker.

So if I go back to a previous chapter, pick it up, then go back to where I was I will have it, correct?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
MiamiWesker said:
So if I go back to a previous chapter, pick it up, then go back to where I was I will have it, correct?

yeah, it'll be in your inventory permanently.

jax (old)

Banned
chapter 3. playing on veteran and um, I couldn't even get past chapter 2.1 (as SHEVA was a dumb sh*t and kept dying) so I ended up playing a co-op game ....

so

a) Sheva ruins the RE experience

b) 2p game is alright but it ruins the RE experience.

Verdict. RE experience ruined.

I think the SP game is best played on normal as AI sheva is dumb sh*t. As for the co-op play... its fun. But it ain't no RE.

Bleh!

I don't mind the controls but I'm NOT feeling the game.

did I mention ShEVA ai is dumb sh*T?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
bomb_jack said:
Professional playthrough with the AI must be an absolute nightmare, would it even be possible?

you'll only slowly drive yourself insane .. you should really only do professional in co-op. Its one-hit "death status" and the AI will get butchered.

raviolico

dear god, say what you will, but the production values of RE5 are just breathtaking phenomenal.

just look at the character models...utterly freakin` stunning stuff.

enjoying the game very, very much so far.

I personally think the AI is great, certainly the best friendly AI I've seen in a game. But it'll obviously NEVER be as good as a human partner, I just don't think it's possible.

masterkajo

Another small question: I am finding all these treasures. Should I just sell them so I get more money or is there a way to "upgrade" a treasure like in RE4 (combine a mask and stones to make it worth much more). Besides do I have to have at least one of each treasure item in possession to gain the treasure achievement or is it ok if I sell them and just obtained them along the road?

zoukka

masterkajo said:
Another small question: I am finding all these treasures. Should I just sell them so I get more money or is there a way to "upgrade" a treasure like in RE4 (combine a mask and stones to make it worth much more). Besides do I have to have at least one of each treasure item in possession to gain the treasure achievement or is it ok if I sell them and just obtained them along the road?

Is there an option called "combine"? ;)

masterkajo said:

Just sell them as soon as you can.

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:
I bet you wouldn't bitch if yours looked like this...

bh5_ecapcom_limited_edition_00.jpg
bh5_ecapcom_limited_edition_wxp.jpg

bh5_ecapcom_limited_edition_001.jpg
bh5_ecapcom_limited_edition_002.jpg

bh5_ecapcom_limited_edition_003.jpg

P...Probably not.

I hate Japan :(

USD

This sucks. I only managed to scrap together about 2 hours of sleep. And this was even after engaging certain... activities to intentionally make myself tired.

Amir0x

Banned
USD said:
This sucks. I only managed to scrap together about 2 hours of sleep. And this was even after engaging certain... activities to intentionally make myself tired.

You shouldn't masturbate so much, you could go blind

masterkajo said:
So for the achievement to unlock I just needed to find the treasure once but do not have to hold on to them until I found every one, right?

Yeah, once you pick them up once it adds them to the achievement.

demigod

Alright I've seen 2 framerate dips on the PS3 and I'm only on chapter 1. Both times it was against 1 freakin enemy and I was near a corner.

Image Quality on PS3 is not bad like what's been spreading around. Xbox 360's sharpness at default seems better than the PS3 hence why it *looks* better. Crank up your sharpness and it'll look the same as the 360. I cranked mine way up and it looks even way better than the ones that they used in the comparison vid/pics.

What control type is everyone playing? I'm just so used to Type A.

xfactor

Banned
oh damn. the event actually looks fun

so did anyone at least threaten the RE5 team to remake RE2 for the Wii or hire Shinji Mikami back?

anddo0

Just a few hours away and I'm still on the fence. The AI really scares me.

So a few questions..

Is she as dumb as in the demo?
How easy is normal?
Will she be a problem on higher difficulty?

Is this game worth playing solo? I'm not a huge fan of co-op, unless its required. ie; Monster Hunter.

Why couldn't this be a solo experience? Obviously the AI s the biggest problem with the game.

eso76

chandoog said:
didn't notice any such thing in the 360 version. Besides a little tearing here and there, the cutscenes are hella sharp on the 360. Crisp, clear and amazing looking.

They are crystal clear and sharp, and IQ for cutscenes and ingame sections is some of the best i've seen this gen; i believe only Grid compares.
Bet it's using 4xAA. But that thing about cutscenes black levels being..uh...strange is there also on x360. You get this dark blu-ish tint instead of pure black, which does give cutscenes the fmv look. I personally liked the stylistic choice.

Btw, i've seen options menu gives you access to 3 diff video filters which i haven't unlocked yet.

On last chapter now, i have to say the game takes a...weird turn towards the end.
It almost feels like the devs had some other franchise in mind they wanted to be doing. It works rather well from a gameplay pov, but RE purists won't like.

Also, at some point during chapter 6 i actually tried pulling an ACTIVE RELOAD while taking cover :D

Did i mention how i think this is the best looking console game out there by a rather large margin (have only seen the demo for KZ2) ? oh yes i did.
I believe the hate the game is getting is quite ridiculous. RE4 was a more balanced mix and worked better as a whole, but this shouldn't drag RE5 scores down, it's a great game action game i'd put WELL above dead space and even gow2.

Having said that, Capcom should probably turn the experience gained in RE4 and 5 towards a new franchise (improving controls and AI, maybe) and go back to RE roots for 6
I believe they did say they were planning a series reboot with 6

Synless

demigod said:
Alright I've seen 2 framerate dips on the PS3 and I'm only on chapter 1. Both times it was against 1 freakin enemy and I was near a corner.

Image Quality on PS3 is not bad like what's been spreading around. Xbox 360's sharpness at default seems better than the PS3 hence why it *looks* better. Crank up your sharpness and it'll look the same as the 360. I cranked mine way up and it looks even way better than the ones that they used in the comparison vid/pics.

I was going to post something to this degree. I've been playing the game for almost 7 hours in splitscreen with my friend. The framerate is improved in the splitscreen portion of the game compared to the demo, and really arean't that bad in general in fact I barely noticed them. I'm not saying It's the same as the 360 in terms of constant smoothness, but it's certainly no where near as bad as some places and people are making it out to be.

jax (old)

Banned
she's really bad on Veteran. I'm going to guess she'll be alright on normal. as mentioned, got to the 2nd chapter and I couldn't even get past it because she wasn't much help. Once I had a human co-op player, it was a breeze. Her AI is FUCKING TERRIBLE.

Stop saying this is the best looking console game. Its not.

raviolico

eso76 said:
Did i mention how i think this is the best looking console game out there by a rather large margin (have only seen the demo for KZ2) ? oh yes i did.
I believe the hate the game is getting is quite ridiculous. RE4 was a more balanced mix and worked better as a whole, but this shouldn't drag RE5 scores down, it's a great game action game i'd put WELL above dead space and even gow2.

this.

Thrakier

eso76 said:
Did i mention how i think this is the best looking console game out there by a rather large margin (have only seen the demo for KZ2) ?

So you think that this game looks better than KZ2 by a large margin? Ok.

careksims

Man it's 4:15am and I've been playing since 12:30am with my friend. Oh so fuckin' awesome. I don't know what people say about the PS3 version. It runs fine with me. I don't even notice anything like frame dips or other issues. Too busy killing! So gooood! Co-op is where it's at and no problems at all. :D

demigod said:

I'm up to chapter 5 now, only saw framedrops in the dark cave. Using Type D controls, nice to be able to sidestep attacks :D

Paracelsus

Hey, let me ask you guys a question about saving:

A friend of mine got disconnected before ending chapter 2-3, and somehow didn't get the trophy. Now, he wants to go back to that chapter to get it, but I'm afraid if I join him I'll lose my own savegame (5-1). Am I correct?

bomb_jack

Paracelsus said:

A friend of mine got disconnected before ending chapter 2-3, and somehow didn't get the trophy. Now, he wants to go back to that chapter to get it, but I'm afraid if I join him I'll lose my own savegame (5-1). Am I correct?

You'll lose any checkpoints you've reached in 5-1 but you'll still be able to start from the beginning of that chapter regardless of anything else.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Paracelsus said:

If you're at the start of 5-1, you'll be fine, as you'll be able to start it again from the chapter select menu. If you're midway through it at a checkpoint, then you'll be reset to the beginning of the chapter. I learned that the hard way (and I was mid way through 5-3).

demigod

CosmicGroinPull said:
I'm up to chapter 5 now, only saw framedrops in the dark cave. Using Type D controls, nice to be able to sidestep attacks :D

Well that's good. Honestly I don't remember any framerate drops during the axe dude on chapter one. But like I said, the times I had it drop was when I was close to a corner, maybe it was trying to load that area and lagged me.

BeeDog

Just got to Chapter 3-3 (I think?
The part where you ride on the boat with Josh, I called it quits there.
). So far the game has been pretty good, but personally I don't find a single set-piece/encounter/location to be better than Resident Evil 4. :/ (don't kill me!) The lack of wow-factor might also be because I'm playing the game alone for now, and the fact that I'm not the best RE5 gamer there is. :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Chinner said:
would you guys who have played it suggest going through with a co op buddy?
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

MacBosse

Finally installing it now on my 360!

Gonna go trough it alone then go at it again in coop next week!

See you on the other side players!

123rl

I'm up to 2-2 after a few hours. I fucking LOVE it so far! The only action games this generation that even come close to it are Gears and Uncharted. Resi 5 is brilliant and it's a worthy sequel to the best action game of all time

I'm actually impressed with Sheva's AI too. She heals me when necessary, she protects me when I reload, she finds items that I've missed etc. She hasn't really made many mistakes and her only big fuck-up was when she got trapped in the Shanty Town and got decapitated :D

cvxfreak

xfactor said:
oh damn. the event actually looks fun

so did anyone at least threaten the RE5 team to remake RE2 for the Wii or hire Shinji Mikami back?

It was VERY fun. I think it went on a bit too long, but it was great meeting the producers, directors and mo-cap actors. I was probably the only person in the autograph line who could speak Japanese, so I was actually able to speak to them for a few moments.

USD

U K Narayan said:
Is tearing more prevalent in 1080p than in 720p?
From what I've read, yes. My TV is 720p, but I get no (gameplay) tearing in the demo (360) playing at that resolution. There's still a good bit of tearing during cutscenes though.

Up to Chapter 2-2, awesome awesome game!

But Fuck the tearing is the worst ive seen. During Fast movie cut scenes especially and during gameplay for the 360 @ 1080p.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I had the PS3 version all week playing 720p and had no tearing, got my 360 version and playing in 1080p and it's a lot more prevelent... not a fair test though.

Guled

Bah, it looks like I have to wait till monday to play :( o well I hope my coop partner could wait for me :lol BTW, how dose QTE's work, is it if one person fails then both are dead?
Thrakier said:
I do, got a problem with that.

eso76

Thrakier said:

What exactly isn't clear about the sentence "i have only seen the demo for KZ2" ?
The areas shown in the demo aren't too impressive looking actually, despite showing some nice tech and physics, but i've been assured by someone i trust the game improves tenfolds after that. Maybe i'll finally grab it this weekend and see for myself.

Also, large margin is obviously 'relative'; compared to similar genres though, i'd say RE5 looks a lot better than Gow2 in most areas.

Paracelsus

Guled said:
Bah, it looks like I have to wait till monday to play :( o well I hope my coop partner could wait for me :lol BTW, how dose QTE's work, is it if one person fails then both are dead?

Yeah, "your partner is dead" and so on.

I do, got a problem with that.

"By a large margin"? I think this game in its very best-looking moments is en par with Dead Space, but that's it.

Also, large margin is obviously 'relative'; compared to similar genres though, i'd say RE5 looks a lot better than Gow2 in most areas.

I don't know if that somehow is better on X360, but texture of the PS3 version in the
underground temple-like chapter
are N64-bad. Like, bad. You can whistle around pretending not to be seeing them, but they're there, all over the place, and plain suck. Luckily things are that way basically only in that chapter, maybe they thought that given the environment people wouldn't have minded that much.

Oh my goodness...the perfect gaming weather for RE5...

Back in 2005 I had the pleasure of playing RE4 when it was snowing pretty heavily and its doing the same this weekend.

<3

Aquanox

Killing Bosses is much more fun and effective when playing coop.

Don't expect your partner A.I. to be as good as your buddies on Xbox Live.

PS. I told you. It's an spectacular looking game.

eso76 said:
What exactly isn't clear about the sentence "i have only seen the demo for KZ2" ?
The areas shown in the demo aren't too impressive looking actually, despite showing some nice tech and physics, but i've been assured by someone i trust the game improves tenfolds after that. Maybe i'll finally grab it this weekend and see for myself.

You have the "new game" excitement goggles on, big time. While I enjoyed RE5, it has MANY flaws, and while the graphics, texture work and lighting, especially in the first few levels, are some of the best we've seen...keep playing...it goes downhill. Gears 2, especially Killzone 2, is just way more consistenly impressive graphically and technically.

Top Bottom