• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official RESIDENT EVIL 5 Thread of LOOK OUT: SPOILER TAGS CONTAIN ACTUAL SPOILERS

Prine

Banned
This is really important. Im playing on Veteran (1-2) but im hearing how this mode should only be played with a friend and not with AI Sheva.

I have no plans on playing this with a friend on my 1st playthrough so should i just change the difficulty to normal? For a better experience?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Prine said:
This is really important. Im playing on Veteran (1-2) but im hearing how this mode should only be played with a friend and not with AI Sheva.

I have no plans on playing this with a friend on my 1st playthrough so should i just change the difficulty to normal? For a better experience?
Personally, I changed to Normal after chapter 1. I have found the game to be a good difficulty on normal when playing solo.

anddo0

Reading through these impressions, and a few media reviews have brought me to one conclusion. The AI sucks, and that to me is a gamebreaker. I couldn't stand it in the demo, if I have to go through 12 hours of that I think I'll pass. The whole co-op thing doesn't appeal to me online or off. I wish they had kept this a single player game. I have no problem with the controls having played RE4 multiple times. But babysitting AI for 12 hours isn't my idea of fun. I don't want to be forced to play with other humans in order to enjoy the game.

I may take some heat for this. But, I think GAF gives Capcom way too much credit.

eshwaaz

anddo0 said:
Just a few hours away and I'm still on the fence. The AI really scares me.

So a few questions..

Is she as dumb as in the demo?
How easy is normal?
Will she be a problem on higher difficulty?

Is this game worth playing solo? I'm not a huge fan of co-op, unless its required. ie; Monster Hunter.

Why couldn't this be a solo experience? Obviously the AI s the biggest problem with the game.

I have all of the same concerns. I play single-player games almost exclusively, and the RE games have always been among my favorite experiences. I know many here are enjoying it, but RE 5 focusing so heavily on co-op is seriously disappointing to me. I will likely still take a chance.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
anddo0 said:
Reading through these impressions, and a few media reviews have brought me to one conclusion. The AI sucks, and that to me is a gamebreaker. I couldn't stand it in the demo, if I have to go through 12 hours of that I think I'll pass. The whole co-op thing doesn't appeal to me online or off. I wish they had kept this a single player game. I have no problem with the controls having played RE4 multiple times. But babysitting AI for 12 hours isn't my idea of fun. I don't want to be forced to play with other humans in order to enjoy the game.

I may take some heat for this. But, I think GAF gives Capcom way too much credit.
Fair enough. The game wasn't built to be played by yourself. It is, like Left 4 Dead, made to be played with other people. If relying on another person is turn off, then the game clearly wasn't made for you.

I would not recommend this game to anyone who has no interest in co-op play. It would be like recommending a military FPS to someone who exclusively plays JRPGs. It wouldn't make sense.

Rindain

Banned
I've been reading conflicting reports as to which, PS3 or 360 version, has the sharper, more detailed textures.

Some say 360 version is too dark and you can't make out the fine details, others say the PS3 is too bright and bleached out, thus losing detail.

So, which is true? Or are both versions equal when it comes to sharpness / resolution of textures?

eso76

TuSeiSkeefoso said:
You have the "new game" excitement goggles on, big time. While I enjoyed RE5, it has MANY flaws, and while the graphics, texture work and lighting, especially in the first few levels, are some of the best we've seen...keep playing...it goes downhill. Gears 2, especially Killzone 2, is just way more consistenly impressive graphically and technically.

it might lack consistence but its best moments beat the living crap out of gow2 easily, imho. In both characters and scenery: Gow2 often resorts to bitmap skyboxes and detailed textures to hide the lack in geometry. RE5 areas are richer and some of the enemies are just incredibly realistic. The shaders they used for main characters' and some of the enemies' skin is almost fight night quality and IQ really makes a huge difference. Gow2 lack of AA coupled with textures stuffed with shimmering microdetails really hurt IQ, and that's something you really care about when playing on a 100" screen :\

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
RE5 get. I'll be back in a few hours either calling it shit or gushing over it like a retard. :lol I'm playing it in co-op for the best experience possible.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
anddo0 said:
Just a few hours away and I'm still on the fence. The AI really scares me.

So a few questions..

Is she as dumb as in the demo?
How easy is normal?
Will she be a problem on higher difficulty?

Is this game worth playing solo? I'm not a huge fan of co-op, unless its required. ie; Monster Hunter.

Why couldn't this be a solo experience? Obviously the AI s the biggest problem with the game.

1/ she's fairly competent in normal, but above that when the enemy AI goes more aggressive, your partner AI starts buckling under the pressure.

2/ Normal is decent, playing with the AI its the suitable difficulty. But with 2 humans it can get fairly easy, so you should stick to veteran for that.

3/ yeah, she will.

its meant to be played co-op but if you don't have anyone to play with, playing solo isn't a bad thing either. Just don't try to beat solo runs on higher difficulties expecting smooth sailing.

chris0701

Rindain said:
I've been reading conflicting reports as to which, PS3 or 360 version, has the sharper, more detailed textures.

Some say 360 version is too dark and you can't make out the fine details, others say the PS3 is too bright and bleached out, thus losing detail.

So, which is true? Or are both versions equal when it comes to sharpness / resolution of textures?

Definitely the better visual goes to 360 version,better FX/AA,and framerate.
There should be no more arguement about which version has better IQ.

http://www.digitalfoundry.org/blog/?p=576

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/yoda-dip-jp/20090307#1236419158
sBioHazard5_02_360.png

sBioHazard5_02_PS3.png

jax (old)

Banned
I just realised one thing about RE5.

the game chapter system is broken and the fact that the designers allow you to go back in chapters to replay (and items carry over...)

ITS RE IN DEAD RISING CLOTHING. The saves are inconsequential - you need ammo, go back and play an easy chapter to load up on ammo + money for upgrades. Very very Dead Rising.

URGH. That breaks the game and "sense of progression" in a RE game. First Sheva now this.

I've got to stop the veteran game because sheva is PISSING me off. Fucking game is retarded on veteran with her + the current weapons. I'm going to play it on normal and beat it.

Guled

Paracelsus said:
"By a large margin"? I think this game in its very best-looking moments is en par with Dead Space, but that's it..
missed the large margin part, its better, but not that much. I still think RE5 is the best looking console game so far

demigod

Rindain said:

The 360's output is sharper at default but if you increase your TV's sharpness, they are the same. I don't know why reviewers don't realize this and make the PS3 games look bad in their comparisons. Sharper image=more detail. I'm almost at the boat part so I don't know about the reflection yet.

My biggest gripe is the AI. Why is she going ahead of me when I have her on *cover*? I also don't like the fact that she breaks crates and takes the items by herself. There should be an option to let me command what she does.

chris0701

:lol
demigod said:
The 360's output is sharper at default but if you increase your TV's sharpness, they are the same. I don't know why reviewers don't realize this and make the PS3 games look bad in their comparisons. Sharper image=more detail. I'm almost at the boat part so I don't know about the reflection yet.

Why PS3 version is softer ? Blame Capcom for doing QAA on REsi5 PS3.:lol
But IMO,the difference is not only about the sharpness.

If Capcom could use QAA plus sharpness to have equal result of 4xAA,why didn;t they do ?

MacBosse

demigod said:

My biggest gripe is the AI. Why is she going ahead of me when I have her on *cover*? I also don't like the fact that she breaks crates and takes the items by herself. There should be an option to let me command what she does.

Please don't say that the textures are blurrier on the ps3 becasue of the output.

You don't mean that do you?

demigod

chris0701 said:

Why PS3 version is softer ? Blame Capcom for doing QAA on REsi5 PS3.:lol
But IMO,the difference is not only about the sharpness.

If Capcom could use QAA plus sharpness to have equal result of 4xAA,why didn;t they do ?

It's not, I told you the 360's sharpness is higher than the PS3's at default. I cranked up my TV's sharpness and it looks even better than that 360 pic you linked. I don't know why people keep posting that shit.

Edit : Actually the Quincunx is probably why the PS3's look so blurry in comparison. But if you turn on your sharpness higher, it looks even better than the picture you linked. They really need to stop using QAA.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
anddo0 said:

Co-op has turned me off of this game too. I want to play it for the story, but it seems Capcom felt pressured into adding co-op since so many games these days have it and the game is worse off for it.

I was going to rent it for 360 but now I'm in no real rush so waiting for the PC version won't kill me.

chris0701

MacBosse said:
Please don't say that the textures are blurrier on the ps3 becasue of the output.

You don't mean that do you?

If RSX is capable for doing proper 4xAA in RE5 ps3,the output could be sharper.

jax (old)

Banned
can you retard visual fanboys leave the x360vspS3 talk out of here? its pointless discussing it when there's already a couple of visual comparison threads. Kthx.

I'm playing the PS3 version and you know what, I don't care.

chris0701

demigod said:
It's not, I told you the 360's sharpness is higher than the PS3's at default. I cranked up my TV's sharpness and it looks even better than that 360 pic you linked. I don't know why people keep posting that shit.

The screenshots always looks worse than you could see in HDTV with proper distance.

I think it is a common knowledge,though:(

Blame Capcom ,blame RSX and QAA. That is the reason why RE5 PS3 is softer.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Almost finished it. I had to actually force my self through it. there was some ok moments but the whole experience feels dated to me, something is missing and i cant put my finger on it. Also who ever is in charge of the audio at capcom should be fired. Every single capcom game i have played has horrible compressed sound effects. what the hell?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
boring graphics discussion is boring.

the game looks good on both consoles on my monitor.

-Winnie-

Is it just me, or is the sound that plays when you pick up a key item pulled straight from DMC4? It sounds very, very familiar...

MacBosse

Jax said:
can you retard visual fanboys leave the x360vspS3 talk out of here? its pointless discussing it when there's already a couple of visual comparison threads. Kthx.

I'm playing the PS3 version and you know what, I don't care.

And I'm playing the 360 version and I don't care that you play the ps3 version! :D

Anyways, really looking forward to playing trough this with a friend later on, I love how developers adds coop to alot of games. Nothing better than a good adventure together with a good friend!

Rindain

Banned
MacBosse said:
Sure good and all but AA doesn't fix blurry textures now does it?
That's the thing...everyone keeps mixing up the "smeariness" that results from the QAA with the resolution of the textures.

I am trying to get an answer as to whether the textures on 360 are inherently higher resolution than the textures on PS3, before taking the perceived effects of the PS3's QAA into consideration.

bomb_jack

A bizarre thought that struck me just now.

Years from now RE4 will still be a timeless experience. RE5 will be a game that you can't play properly because the servers are long shut down.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
After looking at a goddam side by side comparison in Hi res on GT, this discussion about the graphics is obviously a complete a complete waste of time. Kids, go do some calculus or something. You shouldn't waste your brain cells on this crap.

xfactor

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
no shame in sounding weaksauce, but does the game prompt an EASY MODE if you die too much, like RE4? :D

I don't think so. I've died 20 times under that wicked "Reaper" monster and I didn't unlock any Easy mode.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
bomb_jack said:

Years from now RE4 will still be a timeless experience. RE5 will be a game that you can't play properly because the servers are long shut down.
By the time, the servers are shut down, we'll have finished the game a few hundred times. And you still have splitscreen.

And Mercs. And the AI.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
bomb_jack said:

You'll still have both splitscreen and system link if you want to enjoy CO-OP.

Sure good and all but AA doesn't fix blurry textures now does it?
*sigh*

The textures are the same resolution as those in the 360 version. The only appear blurry as a result of the quincunx anti-aliasing. It's a side effect of using that method.

So, yes, non-quincunx anti-aliasing WOULD solve this issue completely.

Question about the beginning of the game. I heard you walk around as Chris without fighting before you meet Sheva. How does this work in coop modes?

Thrakier

eso76 said:
What exactly isn't clear about the sentence "i have only seen the demo for KZ2" ?

Because it doesn't matter. The demo looks imo way more impressive than anything I saw from RE5 to this point. Not to say that RE5 doesn't look great, it does, but compared to the first trailers we saw the lighting is way worse and definitly not on par with KZ2. Not to speak of animation etc. pp. - I just don't see any area where RE5 looks better.

The areas shown in the demo aren't too impressive looking actually

Really? That's...do not understand. XD

Also, large margin is obviously 'relative'; compared to similar genres though, i'd say RE5 looks a lot better than Gow2 in most areas.

What does it mean, it's relative? I mean, is it by a large margin or not?

Thrakier

Rez said:
boring graphics discussion is boring.

the game looks good on both consoles on my monitor.

It looks good but it runs with stable 30FPS on just one machine...and that's the factor that really makes a huge difference. :)

Parl

I'm playing on co-op with a friend, and after our first round of playing
we got the end of chapter 3-3, just defeated Irving

I like the game so far, but I'm disappointed with
the lack of darkness and lack of tense feeling atmosphere. It seems very action, which RE4 is too, but that has atmosphere because of the dark/ominious settings, and night time

As the next chapter is
Caves, I'm hoping the game starts to get dark and Resident Evily, even if just in a RE4 way, from now on

Can anybody inform me about the rest of the game in this regard?

Pojo

Banned
Hey, do you have to beat it on the hardest available difficulty to unlock professional mode (or whatever it's called), or can you unlock it via normal?

Oh, and though it's probably been answered before...co-op and trophies, offline or otherwise. Can you get them all this way?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
140yeyt.jpg

My best friend should be getting RE5 in a few days. Some drunken co-op antics await!!

TheJollyCorner said:
no shame in sounding weaksauce, but does the game prompt an EASY MODE if you die too much, like RE4? :D

I remember wanting to kill someone at Capcom when that "You suck at this game, want to play it on easy mode you pussy?" message came up when I originally played Onimusha and DMC all those years ago.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Haeleos said:
That trade in 2 for RE5 is a rip. Half of those games have trade in values of like $35.

Not all of them. The sports games in particular would be good for the trade-in value. How Blitz 2 made that list is beyond me.

industrian said:

Dude, I just got my 360 re5 elite bundle as well....I hate the red color console, but the red color controller seems much nicer than normal 360 controllers for some reason.

Now, I forgot, but how do I ensure that this is a jasper model? anyone know?

Prine

Banned
Rez said:
Personally, I changed to Normal after chapter 1. I have found the game to be a good difficulty on normal when playing solo.

Cheers. My only concern was it being a cakewalk on Normal. Nice one

RPGCrazied

aww.. just got home with it.. the guy did even know what the art cell was, so i didnt get one :(

its prob more limited than you think

Top Bottom