• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

FindMyFarms said:
Oh you just need to be fast on that lol. I think you have a 2 or 3 frame window to do it? I use my index and ring finger for lp+rh, middle for mp, then index and ring again for lp+fp.

I usually stay away from doing that since I can't really do it that consistently.

Thanks, I'm on the right track. I can get it like once out of 20 tries. :lol

I'll keep trying even though I probably won't get a chance to use this in a match.

Wallach

Anyone want to play drunk SF4 on PC??

Don't be fooled, I've typed for a living. I am toasted. Come fight me.

I am terrible

Wallach

ok so me and noisme (sorry if that's wrong) have played hella games on PC

you know you want in on this send Enclave Patrol an invite if you want to face my goddamn drunken Sakura master right now

it's free wins don't be stupid

edit - listen, now is the time to play this game you will never face a Sakura like this.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Apparently my connection is disgusted with my triple-dip of this game. :/

Oh well, thanks to haunts for putting up with me and breaking in my new copy.

SmokeMaxX

Rant time.

Ryu in this game is stupid. Sure he doesn't have the most health or stamina, but come on. Risk/Reward? Near zero. Of the 5-6 "zones" in the game, Ryu controls about 3-4 of them. He does a lot of damage. Most of his combos are super-mashable. Heaven-forbid you play a Ryu with super because you have to watch his unbelievably good cr. hk poke or watch out for an FADC combo that you know is coming. Not only that, but he gets ultra like it's nothing. Should I count the ways? I mean, it's bad enough he has an FADC combo that goes into ultra. In fact, he should have one. Every character should have one. No, the big thing is the trade shoryuken into ultra. How bullshit is that? You waste zero meter. It comes after a move that's "fairly" punishable except for the simple fact that it beats every move in the game (oh wait, EX-Messiah Kick beats it!) both horizontally and vertically. I mean, if you stick out a crouching short (or if you're Dictator doing your combo and you mess up OR Ryu happens to block the first one) then you just eat a free small combo's worth of damage from an invincible move that was apparently so hard to do that it had to gain 10,000 shortcuts. You know what? Screw what I said before. His FADC combo is bullshit also. Shoryuken- high risk, high reward right? Oh wait, Ryu has two meters? How about zero risk, high reward?

As I ranted before about Ryu's normals. C'mon now. Great poke with cr. mk. Not good enough? Let's give him a great anti-air in cr. fierce. Oh wait, he can't do anything about crouching opponents! Let's give him an overhead that hits twice as well as a normal that hits twice! But I don't think he's good enough! Let's let him Tatsu on the ground and in the air (which btw Ex-Tatsu in the corner is another ultra setup and Tatsu goes through fireballs). Let's let the one in the air beat a lot of stuff, but let's also let the ground one have little lag so that you can follow it up with a grab or a shoryuken (-> FADC -> Ultra). Oh yeah! Don't forget about the cute j. strong x 2 that also juggles into ultra. I'm a Bison user that's pretty bitter that Bison and Ryu share this ultra set-up and Ryu STILL gets better priority on his j. strong.

So yeah, you can never jump in on a good Ryu (for multiple reasons, one of which is auto-correct DP). You can't focus attack a good Ryu (for multiple reasons, one of which is option-select DP off of a jump in, the other is normals that hit twice). You have to go through a flurry of fireballs to reach Ryu and once you get in, he ALWAYS has the option of DPing you. Sure you can bait it, but if you're sitting next to Ryu trying to bait a move, who really has control of the match?

Ryu is just too godly imo. I'm not expert and I can't play like the pros do, but I can't see a lot of the disadvantages that Ryu has. To me, it seems like every option in the game has to belong to Ryu and any weakness he has has to be covered in some way. Doesn't he also have a kara-throw? His j. roundhouse isn't so bad either.

SmokeMaxX said:
Rant time.

Ryu in this game is stupid. Sure he doesn't have the most health or stamina, but come on. Risk/Reward? Near zero. Of the 5-6 "zones" in the game, Ryu controls about 3-4 of them. He does a lot of damage. Most of his combos are super-mashable. Heaven-forbid you play a Ryu with super because you have to watch his unbelievably good cr. hk poke or watch out for an FADC combo that you know is coming. Not only that, but he gets ultra like it's nothing. Should I count the ways? I mean, it's bad enough he has an FADC combo that goes into ultra. In fact, he should have one. Every character should have one. No, the big thing is the trade shoryuken into ultra. How bullshit is that? You waste zero meter. It comes after a move that's "fairly" punishable except for the simple fact that it beats every move in the game (oh wait, EX-Messiah Kick beats it!) both horizontally and vertically. I mean, if you stick out a crouching short (or if you're Dictator doing your combo and you mess up OR Ryu happens to block the first one) then you just eat a free small combo's worth of damage from an invincible move that was apparently so hard to do that it had to gain 10,000 shortcuts. You know what? Screw what I said before. His FADC combo is bullshit also. Shoryuken- high risk, high reward right? Oh wait, Ryu has two meters? How about zero risk, high reward?

As I ranted before about Ryu's normals. C'mon now. Great poke with cr. mk. Not good enough? Let's give him a great anti-air in cr. fierce. Oh wait, he can't do anything about crouching opponents! Let's give him an overhead that hits twice as well as a normal that hits twice! But I don't think he's good enough! Let's let him Tatsu on the ground and in the air (which btw Ex-Tatsu in the corner is another ultra setup and Tatsu goes through fireballs). Let's let the one in the air beat a lot of stuff, but let's also let the ground one have little lag so that you can follow it up with a grab or a shoryuken (-> FADC -> Ultra). Oh yeah! Don't forget about the cute j. strong x 2 that also juggles into ultra. I'm a Bison user that's pretty bitter that Bison and Ryu share this ultra set-up and Ryu STILL gets better priority on his j. strong.

So yeah, you can never jump in on a good Ryu (for multiple reasons, one of which is auto-correct DP). You can't focus attack a good Ryu (for multiple reasons, one of which is option-select DP off of a jump in, the other is normals that hit twice). You have to go through a flurry of fireballs to reach Ryu and once you get in, he ALWAYS has the option of DPing you. Sure you can bait it, but if you're sitting next to Ryu trying to bait a move, who really has control of the match?

Ryu is just too godly imo. I'm not expert and I can't play like the pros do, but I can't see a lot of the disadvantages that Ryu has. To me, it seems like every option in the game has to belong to Ryu and any weakness he has has to be covered in some way. Doesn't he also have a kara-throw? His j. roundhouse isn't so bad either.

We got some mortons in the house.

Mad salty yo.

Yea I hate Ryu but he's not that bad..

Wait till you run into a good Sagat ;P

Hitokage said:
Apparently my connection is disgusted with my triple-dip of this game. :/

Oh well, thanks to haunts for putting up with me and breaking in my new copy.
wtf your on 360 now too.

God marry me.

Wallach said:
ok so me and noisme (sorry if that's wrong) have played hella games on PC

you know you want in on this send Enclave Patrol an invite if you want to face my goddamn drunken Sakura master right now

it's free wins don't be stupid

edit - listen, now is the time to play this game you will never face a Sakura like this.
Add me..

MINI Pez

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
TurtleSnatcher said:
We got some mortons in the house.

Mad salty yo.

Yea I hate Ryu but he's not that bad..

Wait till you run into a good Sagat ;P

Sagat (and Akuma) takes more skill to use then Ryu, even if he's a little more powerful.

Ryu is the easiest char in the game by far- easiest links, easiest ultra setups, braindead pokes. I don't see the complaint about hurricane kick though.

I usually don't mind Ryu in other games, only this and A3.

No, I'm not saying he's bannable or anything stupid like that. I am saying that he is much easier to use relative to the rest of the cast , including Sagat.

Let's put it this Honda. Honda/sagat is 3-7 at best (most consider it the worst matchup in the game) I can crush Sagats a lot easier then Ryus, and that matchup is theoretically even.

Ryu makes me want to play HDR instead, where Ryu is balanced, and fun (his f+hp combos in that are hilariously fun, even if hard as hell)

Threi

notag
Roo does bug me a little, but that is due to a couple things:

1. Mashing SRK during a blockstring has no risk (this is a problem I have with the game in general - charge chars [except Balrog] have to guess right at the exact time or they stop blocking and lose their charge, motion chars can just safely wiggle the stick and the button for their highest priority move + 2 extra buttons for FADC insurance)

2. DP trades

3. Instead of fighting unique chars all the time, you fight him again, and again, and again, with a different gimmick.

shahkur

Guys; here's a question. Who is the better character in SF4, Ryu or Ken? I can play great with both of them, but Ken to me has more moves. For example, the variety of kicks the guy has. Ever seen his poking kick forward medium kick? Man, that comes out of nowhere. To SmokeMaxX, have you ever faced a Ken player who keeps spamming kicks? :lol That shit is unbelievable. If your'e just waiting there crouch blocking, he's got that forward heavy kick which gets you.

Mohonky

Okay so I just bought this game on Steam. Question. Whats the best pad to use for it? I normally use the Xbox360 controller on PC with my wireless dongle but the 360 pad is gonna be shit for this game. So I'm thinking maybe the Hori pads that came out for 360, do they work on the PC? Or is there another 6 button lay out pad I can get online (I'm in Australia so it'd have to come from something like Play-Asia if it's not local).

noisome07

Banned
Mohonky said:
Okay so I just bought this game on Steam. Question. Whats the best pad to use for it? I normally use the Xbox360 controller on PC with my wireless dongle but the 360 pad is gonna be shit for this game. So I'm thinking maybe the Hori pads that came out for 360, do they work on the PC? Or is there another 6 button lay out pad I can get online (I'm in Australia so it'd have to come from something like Play-Asia if it's not local).

I use a PS3 controller, The dpad is miles better than the 360 one. I suggest you try that out and see how it plays before you look into buying another controller :)

fresquito

I too got this game off Steam and have been toying around for a while. I'm using a 360 controller and can't do shit with that damn broken d-pad.

All in all, the game is great fun and hope I'll overcome the control problems soon.

V_Arnold

shahkur said:
Guys; here's a question. Who is the better character in SF4, Ryu or Ken? I can play great with both of them, but Ken to me has more moves. For example, the variety of kicks the guy has. Ever seen his poking kick forward medium kick? Man, that comes out of nowhere. To SmokeMaxX, have you ever faced a Ken player who keeps spamming kicks? :lol That shit is unbelievable. If your'e just waiting there crouch blocking, he's got that forward heavy kick which gets you.

f.MK is punishable...

Zapages

I know this may sound weird, but try using the keyboard to play the game. It works fairly well for SF Alpha/Zero 1, 2, SSF2T, and SF2 on the pc unless you are a Zangief player...

Sanjay

God MicVlad has a fucked up Dhalsim, pld 20 games and never even one one match, but it was out of 5 rounds, he would always get his shit together when required.

Looking for more people to play with, just got the PC version of steam so please add me GT is Shaftydude. Will add the people who have posted their GT in the last few pages or so.

Mohonky said:
Look on ebay for a usb saturn pad if you can.

fresquito

Lostconfused said:
Look on ebay for a usb saturn pad if you can.
Why is the Saturn controller any better? I have not used a Saturn pad in like 15 years and don't remember anything of it. Is it that good for 2D games?

I have seen many on ebay, but do I have to search for any brand or just "USB Saturn controller for PC" will do?

fresquito said:
Why is the Saturn controller any better? I have not used a Saturn pad in like 15 years and don't remember anything of it. Is it that good for 2D games?

I have seen many on ebay, but do I have to search for any brand or just "USB Saturn controller for PC" will do?
Well it has a really great d-pad, much better than any of the dualshock controllers, that and the 6 face buttons make it a great pad for SF and any 2d game you would want to play. I think almost any of them are fine. Just read the description and look for a high rated seller?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
My brother recently bought it on 360 and I've been playing some, and gawwd the 360 pad is murder! :( I don't fall to scrubbiness too often, but when I get up against someone who can play the game I break apart. I can't even do Abel's ultra on this piece of shit. some dude not only beat me with Dan (on ranked) the other day, he beasted! I had to send a message apologizing, that's how horrible it was.

Also, what's the deal with the patch for Championship? I downloaded the latest patch and I can play player and ranked, but I don't even have Championship on the menu. :\ Whut? I tried to redownload the patch, but it didn't do squat.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Threi said:
finding matches on the PC version is AWFUL.

wtf?

*edit*

wtf is up with these slow motion matches?
people thinking their pcs are up for more then they actually are.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Ughhhhh, Ryu complaining...

SmokeMaxX said:
Rant time.

If you know he has lp srk into ultra, and you jump in on him stupidly, who's fault is that? Fuck specials, there are characters that have normals into ultra, plus ryu's ultra does really shit damage. lp srk does not beat every move in the game, you have no idea what you're talking about. Doing an srk FADC is not zero risk, again, you don't know what you're talking about. The second paragragh is just pure bullcrap.

arstal said:
Sagat (and Akuma) takes more skill to use then Ryu, even if he's a little more powerful.
Ryu is the easiest char in the game by far- easiest links, easiest ultra setups, braindead pokes. I don't see the complaint about hurricane kick though.
I usually don't mind Ryu in other games, only this and A3.
No, I'm not saying he's bannable or anything stupid like that. I am saying that he is much easier to use relative to the rest of the cast , including Sagat.
Let's put it this Honda. Honda/sagat is 3-7 at best (most consider it the worst matchup in the game) I can crush Sagats a lot easier then Ryus, and that matchup is theoretically even.
Ryu makes me want to play HDR instead, where Ryu is balanced, and fun (his f+hp combos in that are hilariously fun, even if hard as hell)

easiest links???? really?? Have you played other characters?? The fact that YOU can crush whatever Sagats you play easier then whatever Ryu's you play is irrelevant.

All of this sound really dumb.

Threi

notag
this is extremely annoying.

Outside of a gaffer i've played I haven't played one game so far that wasn't laggy as hell.

wtf is this shit

Lostconfused said:
Huh? Just set the game to accept challenges and go to arcade mode, you wont ever have a chance to even start it.

This. I was like Threi, thinking there weren't any matches but once I switched to accept challenges, I'd get them to interrupt almost every match against the computer. I hope they fix the matchmaking in SSFIV. HD Remix is waaaay better.

Sniff, I wish my computer was working. I miss her sooooo.

Happy New Year. I hope there's a FADC or another GYT stream this weekend.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
shahkur said:

Ryu easily.

Timedog said:
Ughhhhh, Ryu complaining...

If you know he has lp srk into ultra, and you jump in on him stupidly, who's fault is that? Fuck specials, there are characters that have normals into ultra, plus ryu's ultra does really shit damage. lp srk does not beat every move in the game, you have no idea what you're talking about. Doing an srk FADC is not zero risk, again, you don't know what you're talking about. The second paragragh is just pure bullcrap.

easiest links???? really?? Have you played other characters?? The fact that YOU can crush whatever Sagats you play easier then whatever Ryu's you play is irrelevant.

SRK FADC is very low-risk, You're not going to eat a combo from that, and you're neutral pretty much at the end of it. Then again why would someone do it outside of an obvious hit-confirm situation or wakeup FADC (you can backdash to make it safer and hit the ultra)

As for easiest links, name someone easier. (here's an area I'd like to see other chars buffed to Ryu's easy mode on links)

As for normals into ultra, the chars that can do that in SFIV tend to have large weaknesses in other areas (except Sagat, but he's slow at least) . Ryu doesn't.

Top Bottom