• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Imm0rt4l said:
I feel stupid asking this question, but what exactly does the arcade stick option do in the controller config options menu?

It maps it to popular arcade stick configurations.

Ex. on Xbox 360...

Arcade Stick A = Mad Catz TE/SE
Arcade Stick B = Marvel VS. Capcom 2 TE
Arcade Stick C = Sticks with MS Spec layout (Hori DOA4, Mad Catz Asian TE)

h3ro

_dementia said:
they seem a bit upset they weren't called back to voice SSFIV

well, the Japanese cast was completely replaced as well, right?

I hope they don't change the English Balrog and Sagat voices... they were perfect.

If they changed the JPN cast... that means they changed M.Bison... :/

Edit: Valle rocking the ill Voltron shirt! :lol

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
MarkMan said:
omg, you are so awesome.

this seriously, SERIOUSLY, made my day.

thank you so much. lol at some of those old ass pics.

i owe you dinner. ;)

Don't worry about it. :)

It took me forever to gather up those pictures.

I saw some of the pictures you took. Pervert!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Kadey said:
Don't worry about it. :)

It took me forever to gather up those pictures.

I saw some of the pictures you took. Pervert!

It wasn't me!

The E3 pics were from like 4 different cameras/friends! I just uploaded them!

I love you.

*panties drop*~FADC...

So, how bout that Street Fighter?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
sorry haunts lol,

real talk tho, since CES... me and the homies have been playing so much more SF4/tekken.

I'm back to using Ryu again, dropped Rog... too boring lol.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
gotta stay off twitter and stay on that fighting game grind dude!!!!!!! :D

oh yeah..

Big.Gay.Al.gif

Nose Master

Anyone else just fizzle out randomly during matches? I'll perfect a guy and completely destroy him for 70% of his health in the next match, then just regress into wake up shoryukens and shit of the sort. I don't understand.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
I tried to mess around with the practice mode last night. I can't combo for shit no matter how hard I try. seriously. I'm not a bad player, I just can't combo. I'm like the Stonehands guy in the Scott Bakula football movie.

I can do the basic combos, but no links whatsoever. Juggles I can do, tekken combos aren't that hard for me, but I couldn't even do Rufus stand RH into super (you'd never use that in a match, I know). I can't even do Chun jab/fierce link.

I'm mad salty about this, because I feel like this is what holds me back in these games more then the other stuff.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Ugh I'm thinking of picking up someone new. I'm starting to do pretty well with Cammy, but a lot of matchups are just insane. I play this good Guile often and trying to get to him is such a goddamn pain in the ass. Once I'm in I usually beat him down easily enough, but if I get forced back out I get frustrated and all of my patience goes out the window. Turtling Zangiefs drive me insane too :(

Is Akuma good against these guys?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Akuma is good against anybody. Just gotta be on your toes and keep away from the damage as that dude is frail as fuck.

ShinNL

hikarutilmitt said:
IMO pressure with mixups does more psychological pressure than an extra 100 damage. Flipping them around to where they don't know which way to block and showing that you're still keeping somewhat safe and don't want to be mash reversed can force more mistakes than the opponent possibly getting desperate.
I usually mix up with throws, regular position or reverse position after that j.HK. I have tried c.LP, c.HP, EX Tatsu before but is there any advantage besides a slight frame advantage? AKA, won't a deseperate shoryoken still hit you if you use c.LP? I thought it would...? If it would, doesn't that mean there's no advantage?

ShinNL

Ysiadmihi said:
Ugh I'm thinking of picking up someone new. I'm starting to do pretty well with Cammy, but a lot of matchups are just insane. I play this good Guile often and trying to get to him is such a goddamn pain in the ass. Once I'm in I usually beat him down easily enough, but if I get forced back out I get frustrated and all of my patience goes out the window. Turtling Zangiefs drive me insane too :(

Is Akuma good against these guys?
Ehm, Cammy is actually pretty good against Zangief. Don't know about Guile because I never played a good one with my Cammy. How do you even lose against a turtling Zangief? The trick vs Zangief is to force the distance with st.MK and buffering a SRK while doing that. Punish every jump-in. Punish every lariat with cannon strike. Keep the perfect distance where the hand thingy won't hit and immediately use a cannon spike if you see it coming.

Soneet said:
I usually mix up with throws, regular position or reverse position after that j.HK. I have tried c.LP, c.HP, EX Tatsu before but is there any advantage besides a slight frame advantage? AKA, won't a deseperate shoryoken still hit you if you use c.LP? I thought it would...? If it would, doesn't that mean there's no advantage?

It still can, but it's less likely with a c.LP. I like to minimize chances of eating something like that.

GGs to AZ Greg last night. Man, using Ryu always makes me feel dirty inside, lol.

Ysiadmihi said:
Complete lack of patience. I want to be attacking, not baiting and waiting for jump ins all day

As a frequent Cammy user, this tends to be my downfall too. I lose my patience and I become wreckless trying to go all offensive and shit.

yeah it kinda looks like a memorial montage or something
I hope he feels better.

I read on his SRK blog that the his role in the FG community no longer excites or interests him :(
But as long as he gets his head right and pursues whatever else he wants, more power to him and I know he'll succeed!
MarkMan <3

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
_dementia said:
I hope he feels better.

I read on his SRK blog that the his role in the FG community no longer excites or interests him :(
But as long as he gets his head right and pursues whatever else he wants, more power to him and I know he'll succeed!
MarkMan <3

People post that sort of stuff all the time. I get those feelings frequently myself. Eventually I tell myself that my reflexes will become too slow to play- but I worry that day has already arrived. If you're reflex challenged, there's always SC (hopefully Namco makes a new one and uses the Tekken 6 patched netcode).

arstal said:
People post that sort of stuff all the time. I get those feelings frequently myself. Eventually I tell myself that my reflexes will become too slow to play- but I worry that day has already arrived. If you're reflex challenged, there's always SC (hopefully Namco makes a new one and uses the Tekken 6 patched netcode).
good luck with those just frames.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
_dementia said:
good luck with those just frames.

JF's aren't that hard. It's usually just hitting one button. It's doing motions that is the hard part as your reflexes go down. Juggles aren't as hard for me as doing double fireballs.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I picked up this game for the first time since July. I remember most of the combos (muscle memory I guess) but I have forgotten character matchups. I assume they have been revised since. I had a lot of trouble with aggressive Zangiefs and Ryus. What's the new word on matchups for Chun Li?

p.s. ps3 version is a ghost town

Cowie

_dementia said:
I hope he feels better.

MarkMan <3

Seriously, as long as he does anything with half the passion he had for the TE stick, he'll do great. It sounds trivial, but he convinced a bunch of picky nerds to ignore their preconceived notions about Madcatz and drop $150 on a product with their name on it. And anyone on gaf can tell you just how hard it is to convince a nerd of anything other than what he wants to believe (speaking as one, naturally). After that success, shit, MarkMan can do anything.

AZ Greg

BotoxAgent said:
GGs to AZ Greg last night. Man, using Ryu always makes me feel dirty inside, lol.

GGs. Yeah, I felt dirty when I used Ryu against your Cammy and just chucked a bunch of fireballs and mashed SRKs out of your block strings. :lol

Also, did you think the connection was better once you started hosting? It felt smoother to me, but it could have been my imagination. I have really good download speed but average upload speed. Not sure how the SF4 online system works with regards to download/upload speed though.

And GGs to eva01. Such a sick Ken. It's like having to learn a new character matchup being that the average online Ken plays so differently.

AZ Greg said:
GGs. Yeah, I felt dirty when I used Ryu against your Cammy and just chucked a bunch of fireballs and mashed SRKs out of your block strings. :lol

Also, did you think the connection was better once you started hosting? It felt smoother to me, but it could have been my imagination. I have really good download speed but average upload speed. Not sure how the SF4 online system works with regards to download/upload speed though.

haha, my poor Cammy :lol

Overall, the connection felt the same to me. When you were hosting, it was holding up well (that is until the connection dropped on us).

anyway, let's do more epic Chun vs Vega matches some time (unless u want to see more of my lame ass Ken :lol )

Drame

Just spent couple hours in training mode and played few games. Mostly to train tatsu combos.

I really need to continue practising the timing, especially on the longer combos. I can pull them in training mode without much problem, but in a real fight, I'm having some trouble pulling them off. I'm being too hasty, I guess.

Also, instead of pulling Otoshi after EX Tatsu, I felt more safe with j.RH.

Well, practice practice and more practice tomorrow too.

I think Akuma is the only character in the game that can actively attack Zangief.

Outside of him, you're going to HAVE to turtle and play keep away with Zangief with anyone you play. If Gief player is good you automatically have a %50 chance of losing the match the second he gets in.

Ysiadmihi said:
Ugh I hate that. I can't stand playing defensively at all. Looks like I'm picking up Akuma :lol

Just when you were finally figuring out the match up against my Ryu. Looks like we'll be returning to the 10-0 days before you figure out how to play Akuma decently :D

MIMIC

Banned
Speaking of Zangief, I just played around with him in training mode against the computer and he seems pretty easy to pick up for an intermediate player. The analog stick on the 360 controller works really well with him; it makes the SPD pretty easy to pull off. The dpad works, too....but I can't make it come out as often. With the stick, I'm usually 99%.

What cracks me up is the range on that thing. I might try him out online.

ETA: I'm watching some videos and if I ever come across someone that counter picks Seth, I might quit before the match starts. I don't have time for that kind of bullshit :lol

DD-11

What's the point of being able to focus cancel a jab with ryu? Does it have any practical purpose? It's so annoying when I try to do a srk FADC and end up cancelling a jab instead because of my shitty execution.

Jirotrom

FindMyFarms said:
I think Akuma is the only character in the game that can actively attack Zangief.

Outside of him, you're going to HAVE to turtle and play keep away with Zangief with anyone you play. If Gief player is good you automatically have a %50 chance of losing the match the second he gets in.
i have quite a bit of success using blanka against him, but then again i always turtle :lol :lol :lol

DD-11 said:
What's the point of being able to focus cancel a jab with ryu? Does it have any practical purpose? It's so annoying when I try to do a srk FADC and end up cancelling a jab instead because of my shitty execution.
yomi

Top Bottom