• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Alright guys, playtime is over. I am getting fucking PISSED, and my Saikyo Ryu is about to turn into Super Saiyan 2 Ryu. If I can get my damn disc drive on my 360 to work, i'mma spread some mayonnaise on some faces. I'mma hit that srk juggalo ultra tonight.

AZ Greg said:
GGs Botox.

Man, I really feel douchey playing Dhalsim sometimes. And my Vega timing is really taking a hit with all the Dhalsim practice.

GGs AZ!!

Man, I was doing ok with your sim early on, but as the matches wore on, I just lost patience and composure trying to get the position i wanted. And, don't worry, my Cammy has taken a real hit with all the Chun practice, ugh.

Threi

notag
dragonballjoseph said:
I'm starting to think that I should have started out with Balrog rather than Bison. I've won a G1 championship and was runner-up 3 times over the past 2 days (I don't do the mode that much). It's like I can still do my Bison rushdown, but I actually have a way to adequately defend myself:lol.
Yeah I agree on that...the luxury of easy links and adequate defense is a draw when you go from Bison to Rog. However I am starting to think that if I had started with Rog first I would have peaked earlier (not saying that im very good or anything but I wouldn't be as good regardless) due to those things. Bison having extremely poor defense forces you to actually think about what you are doing, and his tougher links force you to actually spend time and learn them, which translates to other chars.

Also: on the jab jab short headbutt, I try not to use different timing with jab to short and short to headbutt (another luxury) i just do them all at the same tempo as Bison's jab links. Also, I link it to fierce headbutt.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
my disc drive won't fucking play games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been trying for hours. Today was gonna be the day I leveled up! It's happened a few other times and I just shut my console off then turned it back on and it worked. It won't even read the disc well enough to let me play off the harddrive, fuck!!!!!!!!!

Majestros said:
Yeah, Mike Ross needs to learn a real character already. He's paid his dues.

His character is fine. And he's obviously good with him but the matchups are uphill battles. He might as well pull a Sanford or Andre and switch to a decent character like Viper, Sagat, Rufus, Roo, etc.

It just seems like he hit a wall. It was apparent during the Alex Valle concept matches.

And I started attempting the trials on 360, since everyone has been doing them of late. Man, the stick is hurting my execution. I'm trying to do Gouken's fourth trial. But it seems like the button olympics, so many buttons.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Can't really agree with Mike Ross hitting a wall, it's more like he is progressing but so are others. He still does really well at tournaments -- he beat Ed Ma at Sunroute, he beat Ricky O at the Fuddruckers 3v3.

I dont think switching characters will really get him much further. He doesn't seem to gel well with Shotos so all that is left is Rufus and Zangief, but why choose those characters when it will just put him back at square 1 with the same bad match ups?

Beyond that, when you're playing at a high level it's really hard to be like "oh well ill just pick up this character and it will solve all my problems". Combofiend and a few others seem to be the only ones capable of playing multiple characters really well and pulling through in tournaments but generally speaking the odds will be stacked against you if you counter pick just to counter pick.

I agree with you Haunts but Ed Ma (Ken, Akuma), Marn (Boxer, Rufus, Viper), Sanford (What character doesn't he use), J.Wong (Boxer, Rufus, Fei Wong), LPN (Dictator, Hakuma, etc), Combofiend (Boxer, Viper, Abel), etc all have managed to switch up characters from the game's release to now and manage to still remain relevant in tournament brackets.

Whereas, Sagat only has a few bad matchups, Honda is like GAH!! It just seems like he's climbing a mountain. But you know him better than I.

Steaks

Spiderjericho said:
His character is fine. And he's obviously good with him but the matchups are uphill battles. He might as well pull a Sanford or Andre and switch to a decent character like Viper, Sagat, Rufus, Roo, etc.

It just seems like he hit a wall. It was apparent during the Alex Valle concept matches.

And I started attempting the trials on 360, since everyone has been doing them of late. Man, the stick is hurting my execution. I'm trying to do Gouken's fourth trial. But it seems like the button olympics, so many buttons.
Yo fuck tiers. Just play your damn character rain or shine, there's no walls with low tier until you are hitting Mago level play. There's a few exceptions where the character is so shitty that they aren't even viable competitively but Honda only really gets shit on by Sagat hard, he can fight other characters ok.

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
Spiderjericho said:
His character is fine ... but the matchups are uphill battles.
Um?

I have tons of respect for the dude but at this point the best Honda can manage is a few upsets. Maybe winning a minor tournament here and there if he enters literally every tournament ever. It would take a divine miracle for Honda to win Evo.

kensk said:
Yo fuck tiers. Just play your damn character rain or shine, there's no walls with low tier until you are hitting Mago level play. There's a few exceptions where the character is so shitty that they aren't even viable competitively but Honda only really gets shit on by Sagat hard, he can fight other characters ok.

He should have fun playing with whatever character he likes. Nor should he be a tier whore but he's competing against the Haunts, Alex Valles, Combofiends, J.Wongs, etc who are all using high tier characters. There's like two American Hondas who I can think of, and neither of them is winning tournaments against the above players and their FADC ultras.

He's a professional, so shouldn't he be trying to win any way he can. I'm not sure what he does professionally but if he's going to get that fight money...

Maj, I'm not saying his character is good. I'm just saying his Honda is fine. He's obviously one of the best Hondas in the country and has a great knowledge of the matchups.

Majestros

Right, plus if he wants to learn Shotos, he couldn't find a much better place to learn than SoCal.

I say he should drop Honda and pick up Gief like his hero Viscant, and then learn a counter character to cover all of Gief's bad matchups. Or just go straight to Ryu/Sagat.

Beyond that it's purely psychological - whether he can stay mentally focused playing the best character in the game, cuz not everbody can do that. But like i said, he's paid his dues so it's not like he'd have any reason to feel guilty. I'm sure his fans would rather see him win than have his giant sumo heart broken one more time x100.

Steaks

Majestros said:
Right, plus if he wants to learn Shotos, he couldn't find a much better place to learn than SoCal.

I say he should drop Honda and pick up Gief like his hero Viscant, and then learn a counter character to cover all of Gief's bad matchups. Or just go straight to Ryu/Sagat.

Beyond that it's purely psychological - whether he can stay mentally focused playing the best character in the game, cuz not everbody can do that. But like i said, he's paid his dues so it's not like he'd have any reason to feel guilty. I'm sure his fans would rather see him win than have his giant sumo heart broken one more time x100.
You severely overestimate stream monsters.

Majestros said:

It reminds me of what Ryan Hart said on Gootecks' podcast explaining his pick of Sagat instead of Ken. "Why be the hero?".

But I don't know. There's a reason why SRK voted Sabre vs Alex Valle as favorite match vid. (even though it was just one dude fighting another dude with zero matchup knowledge). Or why people in Japan voted the SBO claw player to be on Daigo's team for nationals. People love the low-tier champions, even if they don't win the whole event. They bring hope to the whole community with their efforts.

eva01

Sunroute was awesome! MOV was pretty solid at SF4 wasn't godlike as he is in 3s but still great to watch. My friend brought his camera on wednesday and recorded some of the casual matches before sunroute with MOV.

MOV (Ken) vs Dae (Chun-li)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWubmL00FDo
After Dae he played against a fuerte and basically said fuck this after the fuerte craziness and walked away at the end of the first round.

MOV (zangief) vs fidodidotriplex (Blanka)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xisxe0vUtJU

MOV (Zangief) vs Matt (Balrog)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0viBXoEsAAc

I played in the SF4 3v3 Team Battle and my team got eliminated first round by Team MOV (Mov,Ken i,Kai). Mov almost OCV'd my team but I managed to out footsie him in a ken mirror match but got beat by ken i's akuma. Wasn't able to participate in the SF4 singles because of work but went after to watch it live. Had a great time!

I don't think Mike Ross has fully mastered Honda yet. I think Skye is a clear level or two above Mike Ross in Honda play(america), and shows that Mike still has a lot to learn.

Also I'm not pro *_*

Did yall catch the UFO stream for top 6 in the 2v2? I got beasted on haha.

Haunts, do you have a recap on the 3s side of sun route? I know Yuuki was mad hyped to fly out for that lol.

eva01 said:
MOV (Ken) vs Dae (Chun-li)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWubmL00FDo
After Dae he played against a fuerte and basically said fuck this after the fuerte craziness and walked away at the end of the first round.

Damn that's pretty sick, I never see kens doing cr. jab -> cr. fierce. I wonder if he's hit confirming that? So risky especially since he's canceling into fp. srk. What a beast!

Majestros

I think the best way to play a single-character game is to have a business character that you spend maybe 70-80% of your time playing and a side character purely for enjoyment. Ideally your side character would fill a bad matchup that your main character has to face, but that's not necessary.

I'm all for following your heart and sticking to the character you like the most. But that stops being fun when you lose to Balrog for the 20th tournament in a row and your best chance of winning is turning the game into a brawl and hoping you win all the 50/50 throws. That's when it pays off to have a legit powerhouse character to go to.

Also i forgot to mention this earlier, but i wrote an article about avoiding footsies entirely, since i've written so many about footsies.

Street Fighter Footsies Handbook, Supplement B

This one's basically about blocking, because sometimes it's the best thing to do. There's also some stuff about crazy rushdown, which is always fun to do and watch, but not quite as consistent.

DigiMish

MOV's Ken in that video is average. I don't see anything amazing. Every good Ken player has kara throws.

FindMyFarms said:
Damn that's pretty sick, I never see kens doing cr. jab -> cr. fierce. I wonder if he's hit confirming that? So risky especially since he's canceling into fp. srk. What a beast!

It's a 1 frame link, so most of the time, players stick with the safe combos to land good damage.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Is there anyone who hasn't already been playing Ryu (or shotos I guess) as their main for years that is winning tournaments or consistently placing high with Ryu?

DigiMish said:
It's a 1 frame link, so most of the time, players stick with the safe combos to land good damage.

Yeah that's why I said i don't see it often, and also why i said it's risky to cancel into fp srk, and also why i wondered if he's hit confirming it......

MOV's ken is average because he doesn't play the game, which makes what he does even wilder. They cut to his hands in some parts, and he doesn't even plink on the 1-frame! Fuckin monster.

CPS2

Majestros said:
N34LK said:
dog face u r to gawd lyke u body god 4 sure lol
Can someone decipher that for me please? (Or do i not want to know?)

it's from this

I have to admit the first time I saw this I had no idea what they were saying. They're just saying dog face could beat god (or in the video that J Wong beat god).

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
FindMyFarms said:
Yeah that's why I said i don't see it often, and also why i said it's risky to cancel into fp srk, and also why i wondered if he's hit confirming it......

MOV's ken is average because he doesn't play the game, which makes what he does even wilder. They cut to his hands in some parts, and he doesn't even plink on the 1-frame! Fuckin monster.

ken's cr. fp has 22 frame hitstun. SRK startup is 3 frames startup. Leaving a 19 frame window to react + input the SRK motion (if i'm understanding how frame data works). This is 316.67 milliseconds. Human reaction time is around 200ms, but let's say he's really good and has 180ms reaction time. Leaving him 136.67ms to input the dragon punch motion, not accounting for display lag with the monitor. That's a rate of about 7.5 SRK's per second. I'm thinking he's probably not hit confirming it, but I don't know, how fast do the pros input commands?

How do you guys score on this online reaction time test?

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/index.php

Timedog said:
ken's cr. fp has 22 frame hitstun. SRK startup is 3 frames startup. Leaving a 19 frame window to react + input the SRK motion (if i'm understanding how frame data works). This is 316.67 milliseconds. Human reaction time is around 200ms, but let's say he's really good and has 180ms reaction time. Leaving him 136.67ms to input the dragon punch motion, not accounting for display lag with the monitor. That's a rate of about 7.5 SRK's per second. I'm thinking he's probably not hit confirming it, but I don't know, how fast do the pros input commands?

How do you guys score on this online reaction time test?

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/index.php

That's not how the frame data works. After the first frame that connects, you'd only have 4 frames to cancel into the shoryuken, which is impossible to do on a reaction to hit. When you bring in the hitstun data, you start getting into whether you can link or not, and in that scenario the more applicable number is frame advantage on hit. Assuming it hits on the first active frame, ken's cr. fp leaves him at -4 on hit, and at best, 0 on hit, meaning he can't link anything off his cr. fp.

Also, my reaction times suck T_T

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
FindMyFarms said:
That's not how the frame data works. After the first frame that connects, you'd only have 4 frames to cancel into the shoryuken, which is impossible to do on a reaction to hit. When you bring in the hitstun data, you start getting into whether you can link or not, and in that scenario the more applicable number is frame advantage on hit. Assuming it hits on the first active frame, ken's cr. fp leaves him at -4 on hit, and at best, 0 on hit, meaning he can't link anything off his cr. fp.

Also, my reaction times suck T_T

Ohhh, yeah, you can't cancel during non-active frames. I don't know what I was talking about.

My reaction time is even worse than normal right now, I think cause i'm so tired. Like 270ms :(

Last time I tried I got around 205avg when alert.

Hey guys, just curious, how many characters did you cycle through when SFIV first came out until you found your main?

Me it was Ryu-->Dhalsim-->Rog-->Chun Li

secondary: Dictator-->Rufus-->Cammy

Mœbius

Sagat > Sakura > Akuma

Still use Sagat and Sak occasionally as secondaries. Thinking of learning Ken or Dhalsim as a secondary too. Never had any interest in charge characters.

Got 179.4 on the reaction test (second attempt; first try got 181.8), guess that's good (albeit not relevant as FMF said).

Leunam

I went straight to Abel. I liked his design and I thought that he was supposed to be a new Shadaloo character before the arcade version hit. I haven't put the same effort into learning any other character as I have with him (maybe I should, I'm not particularly patient, which is what Abel calls for most of the time).

ReiGun

Main: Chun Li. That's it. Before SF4, I hadnt played sf since I was like 6 and she was the only character I had any kind of recollection as to how to use them. (Mash Kick!!!!!)

Secondary: Blanka > Sakura > Ryu > Akuma

Leunam said:
I went straight to Abel. I liked his design and I thought that he was supposed to be a new Shadaloo character before the arcade version hit. I haven't put the same effort into learning any other character as I have with him (maybe I should, I'm not particularly patient, which is what Abel calls for most of the time).

Combofiend disagrees :lol :lol

Chun > Balrog > Viper > Abel > Chun (again) > Abel (again)

FindMyFarms said:
Combofiend disagrees :lol :lol

I kinda see what Leunam means. Abel lacks a get the fuck off me move and has pretty shitty pokes. I mean, I'm a total scrub, but a lot of the time when i get blockstringed or rushed down all I can do i can spam TT or EX roll. And if the opponent was baiting the former, free combo video time for him. If he was baiting the latter, free grab... and as you can imagine knockdowns suck for Abel due to his limited AA options.

AZ Greg

Main: Vega
Secondaries: C. Viper > Balrog > Chun-Li > El Fuerte > Dhalsim

Been using Vega since the beginning, but have only recently settled on Dhalsim as my secondary. Dhalsim might end up being my main going into SSF4 though. Even though Dhalsim isn't top tier, it's sorta eye opening that with between maybe 10-15 hours of using him seriously I'm winning at about the same rate as with Vega (whom I have a few hundred hours in) and beating people/characters who give my Vega trouble.

Fuma-X

Wow... so few Fei Long...

Honda >> Gief >> Fei Long
Main: Gief
Secondary: Fei/Honda

I'm having a hard time learning Fei Long, easy to start off, hard to master really...

BotoxAgent said:
Hey guys, just curious, how many characters did you cycle through when SFIV first came out until you found your main?

Me it was Ryu-->Dhalsim-->Rog-->Chun Li

secondary: Dictator-->Rufus-->Cammy
Dhalsim > Dhalsim > Dhalsim > Dan > Dhalsim

Mixing it up like there's no tomorrow.

Fuma-X said:
Wow... so few Fei Long...

Honda >> Gief >> Fei Long
Main: Gief
Secondary: Fei/Honda

I'm having a hard time learning Fei Long, easy to start off, hard to master really...

I forgot to add-- I tried using Fei Long before I chose Cammy. I might get back to using him again once SSFIV rolls out.

But I get the feeling when SSFIV comes out, my trail will be Guy-->Juri-->Ibuki---> Makoto-->back to Chun again :lol I already think Chun is pretty gdlk in SFIV (well not 3S tier but still godly), and I bet she will be uber high tier in supa

AZ Greg - I wanna play your dhalsim again tonight if you're free, hit me up! :) I want to experiment a few new things that will hopefully give me more tools in this matchup.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
AZ Greg said:
Main: Vega
Secondaries: C. Viper > Balrog > Chun-Li > El Fuerte > Dhalsim

Been using Vega since the beginning, but have only recently settled on Dhalsim as my secondary. Dhalsim might end up being my main going into SSF4 though. Even though Dhalsim isn't top tier, it's sorta eye opening that with between maybe 10-15 hours of using him seriously I'm winning at about the same rate as with Vega (whom I have a few hundred hours in) and beating people/characters who give my Vega trouble.

BTW, I'll mirror what LakeEarth said about your Sim. You use throws too much when you're at close distance. That's something you'll pay for, especially if you're fighting Viper who Sim has a lot of trouble with anyway.

You're starting to get really good with Sim though. I feel kinda douchey picking Viper sometimes when you pick Sim since it's just a downright terrible match for him :lol

Top Bottom