• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Fuma-X

Well, Fei Long's game is way too easy to "get" for the others & I'm having a hard time finding various options, combinations. I'm not fond of his lk/lp poke game (range is too small) & finally, but that's just me I guess, I'm not linking right his chicken wings (or ex-cw) in my linking game...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Ha, I still don't have one "main" - it's still a lot less than what I used to do with the fighting games (practically play with everyone!) thanks in part to SFIV's stricter timing and annoying shortcuts, but I use:

Balrog, Honda, Blanka, Bison, Fuerte as my "main 5", and...

Ryu, Fei Long and Cammy as my lower used secondaries, even though Ryu is my favorite Street Fighter - probably since he's "too good", I dunno...

And those list are going to get even bigger when SSFIV comes, because I know I'm going to add Dee Jay and T. Hawk to the mains, and Cody (could be main) and Makoto to the secondaries for sure, who knows where the rest of the new characters could go...

XenoRaven

I've always pretty much stuck with Chun-Li as my main since CvS2, which is the first 2D fighter I spent any amount of time with. As for secondaries, it's gone kinda like this: Blanka, Ryu, Balrog, Honda, Blanka, Cammy. I've started giving Abel a go, but I think I suck to much to use him. =( I also finally unlocked Akuma after having the game for a year, and he's pretty fun, so I'll be trying him out too.

Really I just need to work on my Chun game though. >_>

Alucrid

Banned
After all the hype going on in the SSFIV board it made me take up this game again...only to find out that my right analog stick on my controller in horribly mangled and I can't super jump with Viper or pull off ground cannon spikes with Cammy. I really need to get my self a stick. :lol

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Main: Ken->Ryu->Dan->Dat ass->Random
Secondary: Random

Still utter garbage with most charge characters, but still love playing random. :D

Main: Dictator> Chun/Dictator> Boxer/Chun/Dictator
Secondary: Chun > Cammy > Sakura > Dan

When SSF4 comes out, I plan on adding Dudley and Cody to my mains and Juri as a secondary. (Never played any other SF game aside from World Warriors, but they look like they fit my playstyle).

On another note, Fedex said my stick came in today. ^_^

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
When SF4 first came out... I used Sagat. I played the game casually in arcades in Hong Kong and at pre-release events.

When console first hit I was using Rufus then transitioned into using Balrog.

Now I use Ryu and Balrog.

Steaks

BotoxAgent said:
Hey guys, just curious, how many characters did you cycle through when SFIV first came out until you found your main?

Me it was Ryu-->Dhalsim-->Rog-->Chun Li

secondary: Dictator-->Rufus-->Cammy
Sagat -> Sagat -> Sagat -> Sagat

Picked him the day the game came out at CF and maxed the win streak, don't blame me :(

MIMIC

Banned
BotoxAgent said:
Hey guys, just curious, how many characters did you cycle through when SFIV first came out until you found your main?

Me it was Ryu-->Dhalsim-->Rog-->Chun Li

secondary: Dictator-->Rufus-->Cammy

Main: Guile --> Blanka --> El Fuerte
Secondary (people that I bother to learn the combos for): Guile/Blanka
Just for fun: Gen --> Dhalsim --> Zangief

Imm0rt4l

I played sagat for the first month of sf4, then I dropped him, I never play him now.

I main gouken, though he doesn't suit my style as he doesn't have a real rushdown, nothings safe. Just strictly zoning and being passive. he has no real good bnb ,He's got good damage output and nice ass juggles in the corner where he thrives at. My theory is that Gouken is really an old school pimp puttin hoes in their corners, this man's pimp hand is way strong. They need to give gouken a zoot suit for his 2nd alt, and an 11th taunt "bitch, better have my money"

secondary: fei long, fuerte, ryu, chun and I'm trying very hard to learn viper, but I've been relegated to a pad within the past few months :mad:.

CPS2

FindMyFarms said:
you'd only have 4 frames to cancel into the shoryuken

Cancel windows are usually a bit bigger than the amount of active frames (unless it's totally different for SF4). They're generally not listed in the frame data tho. AFAIK they are usually active + a few frames of recovery. It might even be active + hit pause, but you never see that listed anywhere either.

Timedog said:
ken's cr. fp has 22 frame hitstun. SRK startup is 3 frames startup. Leaving a 19 frame window to react + input the SRK motion (if i'm understanding how frame data works). This is 316.67 milliseconds. Human reaction time is around 200ms, but let's say he's really good and has 180ms reaction time. Leaving him 136.67ms to input the dragon punch motion, not accounting for display lag with the monitor. That's a rate of about 7.5 SRK's per second. I'm thinking he's probably not hit confirming it, but I don't know, how fast do the pros input commands?

How do you guys score on this online reaction time test?

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/index.php

My time was 171.4. Fourth on the leaderboard, I doubt it though.

ShinNL

PC.

Main: Cammy
Secondary: Sakura > Rose >>> Chun Li > Viper > Claw > Boxer > Dan > Guile > Gouken > Abel > El Fuerte

Top tier scrubs.

Edit: Wait, how does the arrow work? In my case it means I play it more ">".

el fuerte--->ken--->sagat--->bison

it a joke when I played bison, but then when I started to become decent, that's when i knew.

I'm better with evil characters. Specifically, dictator.

Secondary---> akuma---> guile --->blanka

Soneet said:
PC.

Main: Cammy
Secondary: Sakura > Rose >>> Chun Li > Viper > Claw > Boxer > Dan > Guile > Gouken > Abel > El Fuerte

Top tier scrubs.

Edit: Wait, how does the arrow work? In my case it means I play it more ">".

Example: I mained Ryu first->then Sagat->then Bison->then Sim (currently maining)

UC1 said:
Cancel windows are usually a bit bigger than the amount of active frames (unless it's totally different for SF4). They're generally not listed in the frame data tho. AFAIK they are usually active + a few frames of recovery. It might even be active + hit pause, but you never see that listed anywhere either.

Yeah I should have said about, but I was mainly going off of feel since it's not listed anywhere. Just a coincidence that 4 is also the number of active frames.

ShinNL

black_vegeta said:
Example: I mained Ryu first->then Sagat->then Bison->then Sim (currently maining)
Oh okay. Then it would be...

Main: C.Viper --> Cammy
Secondary: Rose --> Sakura
Third (for fun): El Fuerte --> Dan --> Gouken --> Abel --> Chun Li --> Guile --> Boxer --> Claw

By main I assume what I would be using in G1, secondary if it's round 1 and I don't care if I lose. Third options being what I would be using in Player Matches if the other player isn't as good so I can practice them more.

ptown

I feel my Ryu/Guile/Bison/Honda are pretty equal ("main"). They feel pretty solid to me.

The closest thing to "secondaries" would probably be Viper/Cammy/Sakura (who I learned to like recently). I add a little of my own style and not just "Balrog it" with random jabs and dash punches. Overall, gimmicky though. :lol

I want to play more gaf people. I am kid-tested, Farms-approved! (I think :lol ) I also touched Ono's side boob! (Okay, maybe not...)
PSN: familymanup

AZ Greg said:
GGs.

Yeah, I still need to work on my Dhalsim close game. Just picked him up recently and am still ironing out a lot of things. I really need to use his back dash more, but that's something I rarely if ever use when I play as Vega or some of my other secondaries. Also need to figure out a way to deal with Balrog as he's a pain in the ass for my Dhalsim. Not sure if I'm approaching the match wrong of it's just one of his bad match-ups. The Vega matches were frustrating since you have a style that really hurts my play. I tend to be pretty offensive with him, probably to a fault, and you were playing against him pretty defensively which generally leads to me eventually eating a stray headbutt, Rufus target combo to ultra, etc... Really need to learn to sit on life leads (and not throw out ex sky high claws when you have ultra with Abel :lol).

I'm probably gonna hit up EVO this year too. No excuse with it only being about a 4-5 hour drive from where I live. GO GO GAF meet-up!
I'm not great with that match-up either, but it might be reasonably even in the end if both players know what to do unless I got the wrong impression. I think it might help if you fight him a little more patiently than most characters (but not as bad as against Zangief of course) and pay attention to his EX meter if you aren't doing that already. Renta already covered everything else, so I'll leave it at that.

One last thing though: if a Balrog is trying to chip you out with his Super or Ultra (I forgot which) by forcing you block, I think you can still teleport out of there at some point of the animation. It's been a long time since I had that happen to me, so I can't tell you for sure when exactly it's possible and whether or not it's doable with both moves.

Rentahamster said:
3) Counter EX dash punches with a throw.
Yoga Flame also works at mid-range and some dash punches can go straight through a Yoga Tower, but the latter approach is more a show-off gimmick than anything else. EX Yoga Fire is naturally also one of Dhalsim's options if he has meter to spare.

AZ Greg said:
Also getting more comfortable with the Chun match-up, well, at least against some of the random ones I've played over the last couple of days. Yoga Tower works wonders when you have her zoned to that area where your opponent wants to use hazanshou/cr.RH. You generally get a free punish if she uses the hazanshou or can reset your spacing if she whiffs the cr.RH. I've also found that rather than trying to AA her with b.RH or b.MP using st.RH right before she hits you will beat her j.HK and trade in Sim's favor if she uses and times j.HP right.
Random fun fact: El Fuerte can't 'leap' over Dhalsim with his Guacamole airthrow if he's using Yoga Tower. Comes in handy from time to time, such as when a Fuerte is trying to get away from your Ultra on wake-up.

AZ Greg

BotoxAgent said:
AZ Greg - I wanna play your dhalsim again tonight if you're free, hit me up! :) I want to experiment a few new things that will hopefully give me more tools in this matchup.

I should be on around the same time. I'll hit you up if I see you.

Lost Fragment said:
BTW, I'll mirror what LakeEarth said about your Sim. You use throws too much when you're at close distance. That's something you'll pay for, especially if you're fighting Viper who Sim has a lot of trouble with anyway.

You're starting to get really good with Sim though. I feel kinda douchey picking Viper sometimes when you pick Sim since it's just a downright terrible match for him :lol

Yeah, like I was saying to him, my close game still needs a lot of work. I think I have some bad habits built up from always having Vega's backflips, wall jump, and FBA to use when being pressured.

And I actually like the Viper beatings. I feel like that's the best way to improve since you can really see your progress. And gotta get that match-up EXP at some point.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Every character < Shotos, Guile, Honda, Zangief, Rose, Blanka, Viper. I use everybody though I think I play most well with those characters.

MicVlaD said:
Random fun fact: El Fuerte can't 'leap' over Dhalsim with his Guacamole airthrow if he's using Yoga Tower. Comes in handy from time to time, such as when a Fuerte is trying to get away from your Ultra on wake-up.

This sounds delicious. 'Will keep in mind...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
What exactly is an input buffer and how does it work? I'm probably going to try to make a shitty fighting game a/o a PC arcade stick trainer sometime in the future after I take more programming classes.

Really now, though. How much of a close-up game does Sim have?

Whenever someone closes the gap on me, or gets in my face, I'm doing my best to more space between us again.

Timedog said:
What exactly is an input buffer and how does it work? I'm probably going to try to make a shitty fighting game a/o a PC arcade stick trainer sometime in the future after I take more programming classes.

I'm assuming they taught you what buffers are in programming class. In this case it's a situation where inputs are stored in said buffer, like during an animation.

AZ Greg

the_log_ride said:
Really now, though. How much of a close-up game does Sim have?

Whenever someone closes the gap on me, or gets in my face, I'm doing my best to more space between us again.

When I mention improving my Dhalsim close game I'm not necessarily talking offensively, but rather being able to handle your opponent's offensive onslaught and getting yourself back to good spacing without getting hurt too badly.

AZ Greg said:
When I mention improving my Dhalsim close game I'm not necessarily talking offensively, but rather being able to handle your opponent's offensive onslaught and getting yourself back to good spacing without getting hurt too badly.

Understood. I'm always looking for the throw, and sometimes look to tech too much, and get punished for it. I detest Sim's matchup against Boxer & Abel...

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
Youse guyses cancelability frame data is off. You have the entirety of impact freeze to cancel a normal move. In SF4 you also have the entirety of startup to do it, since SF4 only has one-frame karas (with some random exceptions like Sagat's F+LK). That's why you can do post-KO cancels btw.

I wrote an article about this in case anyone wants to get into the details: Impact Freeze (aka hitstop)

But if you're just wondering about the latest you can cancel, SF4 impact freeze for hard attacks is around 12 frames which is a fifth of a second so 200ms. It can be done (especially by a 3S player who's used to hit-confirming everything) but there's probably better/safer ways to play the game.

Kadey said:
Youuuuu don't play Guile. I haven't seen one Guile match on your u2b channel!

CPS2

Hey I was pretty close! I said it's probably active + hitstop, but as I understand it now active is part of hitstop. I know it when I see it =P. And yeah I can see the cancel window being even bigger than that, with some startup frames included (at the very least add a couple from startup cos of negative edge).

SF4 definitely has 2 frame kara-cancels btw. If you check the input display on Yeb's stance change/parry video you can see it.

CPS2

Grifter said:
What about kara-throws? Ken's seems to get a longer window than say...Akuma's s.HP.

Ken's 6MK, Honda's 3HK (I think) and Sagat's 6LK/6HK (and a few other moves) are basically exceptions. Pretty sure you can kara cancel any normal move into any special move within 2 frames. Someone might have to back me up on that.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Majestros said:
Youse guyses cancelability frame data is off. You have the entirety of impact freeze to cancel a normal move. In SF4 you also have the entirety of startup to do it, since SF4 only has one-frame karas (with some random exceptions like Sagat's F+LK). That's why you can do post-KO cancels btw.

I wrote an article about this in case anyone wants to get into the details: Impact Freeze (aka hitstop)

But if you're just wondering about the latest you can cancel, SF4 impact freeze for hard attacks is around 12 frames which is a fifth of a second so 200ms. It can be done (especially by a 3S player who's used to hit-confirming everything) but there's probably better/safer ways to play the game.

I have dozens of videos never uploaded of various characters being used. :D Guile has always been a second or third main in any game. I named my puppy Guile.

AZ Greg

My bad Relix. Just saw your message. I just had my Xbox running but wasn't paying attention to it. I'm around now though if you wanna play.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
dragonballjoseph said:
So I'm practicing my stick work with Ryu and I can't even SRk super cancel. :(

I'm getting the hang of the focuses, but I can't grab worth a crap. :(
How are you holding your stick?

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm not understanding this game at all. Finally having someone to play against, I'm playing again. I'm maining Cammy.

Okay, now my friend uses Balrog, and I use Cammy. All of his regular punches beat out my kicks (in both range and priority). When he specials and I'm about to land, I hold back and it doesn't block it. When I special and he's in the air, he holds back and it blocks it just fine. What's up with that? Other than that, he plays fairly defensively and I have no good initiating moves from what I can tell. If I go at him from the air he'll do the headbutt. If I go at him from the ground his punches beat out my kicks. How do I beat him?

Other than that, are there any decent videos showing me the basics of what I need to know? I have a TE stick so pulling off moves isn't that much of a problem (though I can't get the timing right on most combos).

XenoRaven

TheExodu5 said:
I'm not understanding this game at all. Finally having someone to play against, I'm playing again. I'm maining Cammy.

Okay, now my friend uses Balrog, and I use Cammy. All of his regular punches beat out my kicks (in both range and priority). When he specials and I'm about to land, I hold back and it doesn't block it. When I special and he's in the air, he holds back and it blocks it just fine. What's up with that? Other than that, he plays fairly defensively and I have no good initiating moves from what I can tell. If I go at him from the air he'll do the headbutt. If I go at him from the ground his punches beat out my kicks. How do I beat him?

Other than that, are there any decent videos showing me the basics of what I need to know?
I could be wrong about this, but I believe there are a few recovery frames when you land. He might be attacking in that window. That's of course unless I imagined this whole thing and he's hitting you while you're still slightly in the air, or you're blocking low and he's using his overhead.

I'm not sure what Cammy's tools against Rog are, but pretty much everyone has tools against him, you just have to dig a little deeper than normal. For example, I really had a hard time with the Rog matchup with Chun-Li. Then I found out her crouching mk goes under all of his dash punches. Also picked up some nice tricks to keep pressure on him on knockdown. I'm sure Cammy has something. If all else fails, Cannon Spike should beat all of his dash punches if you time it right. Spiral Arrow might go under his dash straight to give you a knockdown mix up situation. I'm not much of a Cammy player though. I'm sure others could give you better pointers.

can you describe the specials?
balrog's low rush punch must be blocked low (crouching) and the overhead smash must be blocked standing

and there is no air blocking

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
dragonballjoseph said:
So I'm practicing my stick work with Ryu and I can't even SRk super cancel. :(

I'm getting the hang of the focuses, but I can't grab worth a crap. :(

Got my stick two weeks ago, I feel you man. The best advice I can give you is the hell with all the fancy holding techniques, finger placement, w/e. Sit down and start playing, however you naturally did it will work fine for you. All you have to do is practice and try to contain the rage.

Joekage

Procarbine said:
Got my stick two weeks ago, I feel you man. The best advice I can give you is the hell with all the fancy holding techniques, finger placement, w/e. Sit down and start playing, however you naturally did it will work fine for you. All you have to do is practice and try to contain the rage.

Yeah, that's my thing now. I went in thinking I could do all my standard combos no problem since I was vaguely familiar with a stick, but I stopped that and am just practicing basics in training mode/versus mode against CPU and random online matches, and I'm already feeling myself get back into my groove and able to bust out moves on reaction. Still got a long way to go but man when you finally hit that cr lk cr lp hp srk fadc ultra for the first time with you doing the exact correct motions.. the feeling is euphoric...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Majestros said:

Sweeet. I've definitely noticed this, but didn't know how exactly it worked. Uppercutting through fireballs makes more sense now that I have a better understanding of impact freeze. I used to think it was invincibility frames + weird unintuitive hitboxes where there is hitbox space missing or something on the back half of the character.

Also, i know what a buffer is, but can anyone explain the mechanics of the buffer. I've heard people talking about how capcom somehow has a unique/awesome input buffer.

Top Bottom