• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Aedile

the_log_ride said:
I'm playing Ken now, having been inspired by Max haha

Too much fun to play.

Is there some sort of Ken virus going around? I don't like shotos, or input characters generally, but I had a sudden urge to pick him up a few days ago too. Between f.mk abuse and huge damage combos off of crossups, he is freaking fun. The only thing I'm missing from charge characters are the lengthier (in terms of distance) punish options.

Aedile said:
Is there some sort of Ken virus going around? I don't like shotos, or input characters generally, but I had a sudden urge to pick him up a few days ago too. Between f.mk abuse and huge damage combos off of crossups, he is freaking fun. The only thing I'm missing from charge characters are the lengthier (in terms of distance) punish options.

Let it take over. Feel the burn. Feels so good to hit confirm into dat flaming SRK

Procarbine said:
Got my stick two weeks ago, I feel you man. The best advice I can give you is the hell with all the fancy holding techniques, finger placement, w/e. Sit down and start playing, however you naturally did it will work fine for you. All you have to do is practice and try to contain the rage.
I mean, I could do most of my combos well with the stick, but grabbing in the spur of the moment is just hard for me. I should be good by next week hopefully.

I also find it funny that with my 360 controller, I was really good on the left side and weak on the right side; but with a stick, this is reversed. :lol

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
UC1 said:
Hey I was pretty close! I said it's probably active + hitstop, but as I understand it now active is part of hitstop. I know it when I see it =P. And yeah I can see the cancel window being even bigger than that, with some startup frames included (at the very least add a couple from startup cos of negative edge).

SF4 definitely has 2 frame kara-cancels btw. If you check the input display on Yeb's stance change/parry video you can see it.
Look at Ryu's c.MK for example. It's listed at 5 startup which means it hits on the 5th frame (with SF4's dumb startup conventions), it's active for 5 frames, and it has 12 frames of recovery.

That means it's inactive for 4 frames, then active for 5 frames, then inactive for 12 frames, for a total of 21. Those numbers are only true if it whiffs.

On hit, nothing happens for 4 frames, then it connects on the 5th frame, then both characters freeze for around 10 frames. After that point, the remaining 3 active frames become recovery frames for a total of 15 recovery frames. Meanwhile the opponent goes into 16 frames of hit stun so their relative recovery periods even out.

You have the startup period plus the 10 frame hitstop period to input a special move command. If you do, then instead of the 15 recovery frames, Ryu starts doing the special move immediately after the 10-frame hitstop.

As far kara-cancels, i still think it's 1-frame but i could be wrong because it's hard to be that accurate without any error. I'm not sure what you're referring to in the Gen video though.

Kadey said:
I have dozens of videos never uploaded of various characters being used. :D Guile has always been a second or third main in any game. I named my puppy Guile.
Haha just trying to bait you into posting one.

CPS2

edit: actually, just did some testing and I think you're right about the cancel window :lol yeah it looks like it is all of startup as well. Didn't realise that, I guess that means if you're doing a 2 in 1, you don't need to wait at all, like you do in other games.

Majestros said:
As far kara-cancels, i still think it's 1-frame but i could be wrong because it's hard to be that accurate without any error. I'm not sure what you're referring to in the Gen video though.

In the Gen video there's a joystick input in between FA and stance change sometimes. For that move I'd say it's at least 2 frames. If it were 1 frame, you'd have to negative edge the stance change, which works, but since it also works without negative edge, the whole thing is spread over 3 frames. TBH I don't know about normals into specials, maybe that is just 1 frame. Anyways I'll stop talking about this now because it's not that important =P.

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
UC1 said:
In the Gen video there's a joystick input in between FA and stance change sometimes. For that move I'd say it's at least 2 frames. If it were 1 frame, you'd have to negative edge the stance change, which works, but since it also works without negative edge, the whole thing is spread over 3 frames.
Yeah i don't know what the hell that's about. It can't be negative edge either because you'd have to negative edge the Focus Attack which is impossible.

Could be it's more lenient in certain situations or maybe it's somewhat random or maybe i'm just wrong. Either way it's either 1 or 2 frame limit for kara-cancels. Anything later buffers into memory and automatically cancels the move when it connects.

Got my first rage mail :lol

Guy/kid was complaining that I threw too much. He said much more than that, but he couldn't take when I asked him "u maaaaaaaddd?" He blew his lid.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
okay so I tried REAAAALLLY hard to get some hatemail tonight by playing like tarzan and the best I got is "he is so cheap".

WTF does it take to get some legit hate mail?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
man when i get to upload a replay why does it have to be my guile narrowly outlaming a vega in a 'this is why nobody plays these characters' grudge match

bonus: botched attempt at corner rape in 3rd round where i keep misjudging the range of my normals

thankfully nobody watches these things

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
haunts said:
okay so I tried REAAAALLLY hard to get some hatemail tonight by playing like tarzan and the best I got is "he is so cheap".

Win using one button?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
haunts said:

1. pick bison
2. use standing roundhouse
3. keep using standing roundhouse against EVERYTHING
4.???
5. Hatemail

V_Arnold

Timedog said:
What exactly is an input buffer and how does it work? I'm probably going to try to make a shitty fighting game a/o a PC arcade stick trainer sometime in the future after I take more programming classes.

Well, if I am not wrong, let us overview the concept very quickly.

Basically, if you have a game, for every update frame (which optimally means in a second, the code will cycle trough the Update function ~60 times), you will check the input device if there is an input.

What you are going to do is set either a dynamic or a static variable, which will state exactly how much time your inputbuffer window it should be. For that said duration, the movement/attack inputs will be stored, and whenever there is an available moveset AND your character is able to actually go into that animation, the code will automatically start executing the move by using the buffer.

So, in Street Fighter IV, for example, if you jump in with Ryu, then automatically when you are in the jump, you can start buffering motions. If you do forward, down, down/forward, these motions will be stored in your "buffer" (simply think of this as an array of inputs), and when you land, and hit the punch, the code will first check if there is any move available with adding the buffered inputs+the newly inputted punch. If there are, a shoryuken comes out. If there is none, a punch comes out.

If you are designing a new game, you can choose if input buffer's size (in our case duration in number of frames) would be either a static number like buffer the last 60 frames, or dynamic like for every move's recovery frames, you can buffer in that duration, and in that duration only.

drohne said:
man when i get to upload a replay why does it have to be my guile narrowly outlaming a vega in a 'this is why nobody plays these characters' grudge match

bonus: botched attempt at corner rape in 3rd round where i keep misjudging the range of my normals

thankfully nobody watches these things

Yo mang, I just played you. I was GNizzle858, playing dat Rog!

GG's! Sorry, I had to bail. I need to get up for work tomorrow. :/

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
haunts said:
i tried nothing but uppercuts and even taunting after each uppercut and nothing. X(

i played a really good sagat who basically was tooling me until he taunted..he did it a little late and ate a full ultra ftl...he sent ME hatemail...strange world we live in

TheExodu5 said:
I'm not understanding this game at all. Finally having someone to play against, I'm playing again. I'm maining Cammy.

Okay, now my friend uses Balrog, and I use Cammy. All of his regular punches beat out my kicks (in both range and priority). When he specials and I'm about to land, I hold back and it doesn't block it. When I special and he's in the air, he holds back and it blocks it just fine. What's up with that? Other than that, he plays fairly defensively and I have no good initiating moves from what I can tell. If I go at him from the air he'll do the headbutt. If I go at him from the ground his punches beat out my kicks. How do I beat him?

Other than that, are there any decent videos showing me the basics of what I need to know? I have a TE stick so pulling off moves isn't that much of a problem (though I can't get the timing right on most combos).

don't be discouraged because the Balrog vs Cammy matchup is in heavily in favor of Balrog. Cammy is free in that match :-( It's a really hard match....stay out of his jab range, and bait then focus attack his cr. rh. Throw his ex rush punches on reaction if you can. And some of his rush punches can be punished by st. jab--> spiral arrow combo....i don't know the names of his rush punches so just experiment on them on training mode.
There's some better Cammy players who can probably give you better advice though.

GGs again AZ Greg!!

Gr1mLock said:
i played a really good sagat who basically was tooling me until he taunted..he did it a little late and ate a full ultra ftl...he sent ME hatemail...strange world we live in
The first time I landed Abel's f+MK xx dash, st.HP xx CoD, FADC cr.HP, Ultra in an online match was against a Sagat. I was so elated that after the Ultra animation ended, I taunted, allowing him to land jump in roundhouse to super for the win. I was pretty salty, especially since he sent a lol message, but I just replied ggs.

LowParry

Does anyone get into those grooves where if the more you play, the more you suck? Take a week off, back to play and you're back on top of your game? Fucking hate it.

Edit: On the bright side, it sort of balances my play time between SF4 and T6. Eh. Maybe it just works out better.

Here's my first rage message(s) that Delta180sx sent after I beat him 4-1. This is word for word mind you...

(last night)
Delta: Your balrog is still weak. its not even a good game all u do is throw wtf is that

Me: lol, u maaaaaaaaddd?

Delta: kiss my ass n**** don't tell me that shit. you play cheap punk ass bitch. lets play a game with no throw see if you can still win. im betting all your wins is all about throw weak bitch.

Me: It's alright to lose some here and there. Can't win them all.

(Delta sends me a match request...I decline :lol )
Delta: so u chickening out? it means u can't win without throwing scrub.

Me: LOL, this is definitely going up on the SRK forums.

Delta: i see. so you are on srk forums lol. so u probably start talking shit on the forum wow lol. i see you chicken out, or u have one of your homeboys inviting me for a private chat.

Me: learn how to tech throw chump.

Delta: no skill at all. you should play wrestling bro. lol

Me: i can taste your salty tears.

Delta: kiss my ass scrub. dont tell me shit chicken shit.

:lol

I mean, he was an above average Gouken. I barley threw him when he clamied that's all I did. I whooped his ass convincingly the last 4 sets (He beat my ass the first set imo). I was hitting on all cylinders, EX Upper loop and all. He just couldn't handle DAT RAWG!!!! :D

Solune

haunts said:
i tried nothing but uppercuts and even taunting after each uppercut and nothing. X(

Maybe they know you and they're like, Oh its ok if I got owned by Haunts.
I have to do that sometimes to make myself feel better when I lose to someone good.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Solune said:
Maybe they know you and they're like, Oh its ok if I got owned by Haunts.
I have to do that sometimes to make myself feel better when I lose to someone good.

you know I was thinking that too, like I have "iplaywinner.com" in my tag so maybe they are afraid to speak their mind thinking ill put them on blast on the front page or something.

i think everyone needs to talk MORE SHIT. too many hugs and kisses these days.

even if i lose i am still the shit and SHOULD HAVE WON. scrubs.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
haunts said:
you know I was thinking that too, like I have "iplaywinner.com" in my tag so maybe they are afraid to speak their mind thinking ill put them on blast on the front page or something.

i think everyone needs to talk MORE SHIT. too many hugs and kisses these days.

even if i lose i am still the shit and SHOULD HAVE WON. scrubs.

fuckin hype machine

:lol

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
haunts said:
now were talking!!!

i wish you wernt such a nice guy it would be easier to talk shit to you.

Not gonna lie tho, the SF community and it's hype revolutions revolve around the idea of rivalries and area control. East vs West, NorCal vs SoCal and US vs Japan are so prominent with this community that it's practically a bullet point on the back of the box. Not to say that it's a bad thing, but it makes shit very exciting to watch.

BTW, check your PMs.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
LeMaximilian said:
Not gonna lie tho, the SF community and it's hype revolutions revolve around the idea of rivalries and area control. East vs West, NorCal vs SoCal and US vs Japan are so prominent with this community that it's practically a bullet point on the back of the box. Not to say that it's a bad thing, but it makes shit very exciting to watch.

BTW, check your PMs.

holy shit SC2 beta key! WHOA DUDE THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Leunam

So word on the street is that the next Gods Garden event has a SF4 console characters only tournament and that Shiro has entered.

Leunam said:
So word on the street is that the next Gods Garden event has a SF4 console characters only tournament and that Shiro has entered.

Wut!?

Do they have the regular "all characters" or "arcade character only" tournament going on as well?

Leunam said:

where did you hear? According to Versus City, Shiro is still up in the air, although expected to come.

And Daigo doesn't seem to be attending because of the World Champ Tourney in france.

can't wait to watch this tourney

Hitokage said:
Index finger on LP, thumb on LK?
Yeah, I recently just figured this out, so my grabbing game is nearly back.
And I've adjusted quite well with the few hours I've had with my stick. I'm dropping some simple combos occasionally but they're still good for the most part. I can't focus that well yet with MP+MK, so I have it assigned to LT and LB and it's going fine.
And I actually think I've leveled up a bit. I can do dash ultras, Bison's shenanigans, and Chun's various ultra set-ups with ease now. And my EX Dash Upper Loops are great with this thing. Made it to the third battle in G1 with my Bison, so I think I'm learning it pretty well. ^_^

Brelston

Apologies if this has been linked before, but the Fei Long/Kato costume is effing nice.

Capcom announced it as part of a pre-order costume pack earlier today. Blanka, Gen, Dhalsim, Fei Long and Guile.

As a lifelong Blanka player, I'm not big on him wearing a Dan gi... but I guess I have to accept his continuing descent into silliness.

Capcom - http://www.capcom-unity.com/grant00...:_alt_costumes__thumb_fighter_pre-order_items

Screens of all five costumes - http://bit.ly/9mus5P

FLN_001--screenshot.jpg

Brelston said:
Apologies if this has been linked before, but the Fei Long/Kato costume is effing nice.

Capcom announced it as part of a pre-order costume pack earlier today. Blanka, Gen, Dhalsim, Fei Long and Guile.

As a lifelong Blanka player, I'm not big on him wearing a Dan gi... but I guess I have to accept his continuing descent into silliness.

Capcom - http://www.capcom-unity.com/grant00...:_alt_costumes__thumb_fighter_pre-order_items

Screens of all five costumes - http://bit.ly/9mus5P

FLN_001--screenshot.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19962882&postcount=19014

edit: holy shit Farms am I that predictable?

Top Bottom