• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

fresquito

I'm almost certain I will be getting a stick for my PC in the near future. Lately I've been playing more and having a blast. However, I think Capcom fucked big time when they overpowered some characters so much. It's boring to be playing against Ryus/Sagats all the time.

As a Ken player, it's just not funny how much better Ryu is in every way. Still, I enjoy playing as Ken a lot, but I don't understand the reasoning behind the huge difference between characters. Now, you can do great with most everyone, but some have a huge advantage.

I hope that's fixed in SSFIV and that we eventually see a PC release.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Relix said:
Why is randomness considered bad by some people? It's like they expect you to follow a set of guidelines every fight. I prefer to switch up mid-game and catch the opponent off-guard.

yes, this was a random rant =p

Most of my wins are from randomness. People tell me a lot that one minute, I can be all scrubby but another minute, I'm a tourney level player and they have no idea what the hell I'm going to do or why I can counter anything they do. The only explanation I can give is that I'm a spontaneous person which basically sums up my everyday life. I'm not a person that plans things out because most of the time it never goes as planned. And that translates to how I play fighters.

Honestly, the reason why I beat AZ back then was because of randomness. :lol

Just got my SSF4 TE stick and been practicing SF4 for about 30 minutes, and just like last year it's really FRACKING HARD. Please Arcade stick GAF, point me to any useful links about double tap, p-link, how to hold stick, somebody's super duper guide to learning stick, or just your own advice. Of course it's going to be up to me but I'll take any advice I can get right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaO9NNbyKb4

Combofiend vs Wong matches are up.

I <3 cammy so much :D

Rice - everyone has their own way of holding stick, I hold my like Wong (like an ok sign). And definitely learn how to double tap and plink...I pretty much double tap and plink my inputs as much as possible--even fireballs, it esp. helps with laggy ass online. Check out those Gametrailer videos of Wong demonstrating those SSFIV characters to see a really good glimpse of how a stick is played.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Rice-Eater said:
Just got my SSF4 TE stick and been practicing SF4 for about 30 minutes, and just like last year it's really FRACKING HARD. Please Arcade stick GAF, point me to any useful links about double tap, p-link, how to hold stick, somebody's super duper guide to learning stick, or just your own advice. Of course it's going to be up to me but I'll take any advice I can get right now.
Make sure you're holding the stick from the side or underneath somehow, so what you're using is primarily your wrist and hand rather than your upper arm and shoulder.

I personally use an underhand grip with the stick between the base of my middle and ring fingers.

Another piece of advice: don't just use this stick in SF4. Anything that can be played with a dpad can be played with an arcade stick. Play whatever and get comfortable with it without the expectations.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I tried playing some games yesterday too but whenever I tried creating a match, it won't let me. And I was also running into the same people with no bars or whatever.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
_dementia said:
that's reassuring
how does it compare to an SLS saturn controller or Madcatz fightpad?

Very different from both... It actually has a looser feeling dpad (but exact shape/size) as the one on the new Hori EX2 pads.

So yea, it's more SNES style of a dpad... can't really compare it to SLS or MCZ.

Aedile

Yoshichan said:
What's up with the cheering and anti-Wong in that video?

Combofiend has been involved in that scene for a long time. Justin, while I admired when he said that he'll always consider himself Empire rather than this-or-that-coast, is probably still regarded as an outsider, and maybe always will be. Plus the assumption is that Peter is the underdog. Plus some people just don't like Wong.

Hitokage said:
Make sure you're holding the stick from the side or underneath somehow, so what you're using is primarily your wrist and hand rather than your upper arm and shoulder.

I'm going to dissent a little from this. I also use the underhand wineglass grip (between my ring finger and pinkie) because it felt natural when I first started using a stick. However, experimenting with the overhand/OK (stick between thumb and forefinger) grip actually gave me what felt like more control later on. Unfortunately, because I'm a lazy sack, I didn't want to completely change how I held the stick, so I stuck with the wineglass. I guess my suggestion is just to experiment with the various types of stick grips and decide which one works best. Hell, I'm sure there are some people who like SKill-style crosshand grip the best.

My other suggestion is a common one that's been mentioned before in this thread: learn a new character along with learning your stick. It reduces damn-it-this-is-so-much-easier-with-a-pad frustration. Aside from that, just try to be patient. If you suck like me, try to be very patient; I don't think I eliminated all of my mistakes attributable to stick misinputs for almost a year after I started using one, and I rarely try anything elaborate to begin with (and that was only after replacing those damned hair-trigger Sanwa snap-ins people love so much with Seimitsu screw-ins requiring more force to trigger).

Threi

notag
Solune said:
Where's DR2K, he better take those notes.
pfft it was a joke match like dan vs dan amirite

no, i'm not gunna let that go. whoever thinks cammy is anything below upper mid tier needs their head examined

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Aedile said:
I'm going to dissent a little from this. I also use the underhand wineglass grip (between my ring finger and pinkie) because it felt natural when I first started using a stick. However, experimenting with the overhand/OK (stick between thumb and forefinger) grip actually gave me what felt like more control later on. Unfortunately, because I'm a lazy sack, I didn't want to completely change how I held the stick, so I stuck with the wineglass. I guess my suggestion is just to experiment with the various types of stick grips and decide which one works best. Hell, I'm sure there are some people who like SKill-style crosshand grip the best.
My post could be rephrased, "don't hold it such that your entire arm is suspended in the air and your hand is in a locked grip on the ball."

Imm0rt4l

Threi said:
pfft it was a joke match like dan vs dan amirite

no, i'm not gunna let that go. whoever thinks cammy is anything below upper mid tier needs their head examined
who said she was a joke character? Cammy is fucking beasty me thinks.

AZ Greg

GGs last night Botox. Fighting Cammy really seems to be helping my Sim get to that point where I can react and act appropriately, depending on the situation, much quicker. Though reacting to hooligans online is still a bitch! :lol

Relix said:
Why is randomness considered bad by some people? It's like they expect you to follow a set of guidelines every fight. I prefer to switch up mid-game and catch the opponent off-guard.

yes, this was a random rant =p

I made some posts about this a few days ago. I don't think the problem is with randomness in general. Especially when it's more of a risk where the odds are in your favor based on things like your opponent's patterns. Or when your randomness is relatively safe. But instead it's when you face someone who is willing to be unsafely random all the way up until the end. Willing to let the match be decided on what is essentially a coin flip.

For example, in one of our Sim-Chun matches, the last time we played, you hit me with her j.HP combo that ends with a SBK. Immediately after the combo you did a EX SBK. I blocked it and punished with Sim's super to win the match. Had I poked after your combo I would have lost.

Because people show you that they are willing to take these risks, it makes you play more passive and defensively. Which in turn gives your opponent an advantage all due to the fact that they showed they can be reckless. I guess ideally you would want everyone you play to approach the match, in terms of randomness, as if it had the same weight as a final round tournament match that had a big prize riding on the line. But I guess that's just the nature of the beast with online play. It'll always be the equivalent of poker's play money games.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I don't have many trials left from the game but I really, really can't seem to get Hard Trial 5 with Abel. Just the whole dash from MK to HP is a real pain in the butt and I need to get it TWICE in this combo. Bullshit~

Any tips?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
AZ Greg said:
For example, in one of our Sim-Chun matches, the last time we played, you hit me with her j.HP combo that ends with a SBK. Immediately after the combo you did a EX SBK. I blocked it and punished with Sim's super to win the match. Had I poked after your combo I would have lost.
Personally, I only do ex SBK after mk SBK if I'm pretty sure that my opponent is going for the throw tech, and then only as a surprise gotcha and if they don't have meter for an invincible reversal.

Either backdashing or putting out a throw to be teched from are much better ways to end that combo in general.

DR2K

Banned
Solune said:
Where's DR2K, he better take those notes.

I'm always taking notes in the shadows.

I also never said Cammy was a joke character. Except for that quick spin knuckle thing, that's straight up trolling from Capcom.

AZ Greg said:
GGs last night Botox. Fighting Cammy really seems to be helping my Sim get to that point where I can react and act appropriately, depending on the situation, much quicker. Though reacting to hooligans online is still a bitch! :lol

yeah, man your reactions are getting really good and you are becoming a really slippery snake, always fun playing your sim style. I was doing well in the beginning but you adapted fast to my gimmicks and whatnot and things were falling apart for me and I had to adapt/learn again on the fly and rethink my approach. I was spamming them hooligans like crazy in a few matches, like a scrub, lol, trying to reasses it's distance and find new uses.

The online lag didn't help me either, it was hard following my pressure sometimes with the lag screwing with my timing. Plus, focusing those limbs is tricky online.

hey guys, Wong has already said Cammy is high tier. \m/

Xevren

Yoshichan said:
I don't have many trials left from the game but I really, really can't seem to get Hard Trial 5 with Abel. Just the whole dash from MK to HP is a real pain in the butt and I need to get it TWICE in this combo. Bullshit~

Any tips?

Sacrifice some virgins. No tips, it just sucks. That link from the dash to the HP is a pain in the ass.

Yoshichan said:

Any tips?

haha, that was the last one I had left, too. First time I did it was just repetition through and through. If you want, you can break it down in parts:
- Work on linking that standing HP after the step kick
- work on properly cancelling out of the standing HP into the MP COD
- work on landing the step kick after you FADC out of MP COD

Work on being clean and crisp when doing your FADC and then going into the 2nd Step kick. Don't panic. After you get through the first step kick/standing HP xx CoD, you're gonna be all amped up to mash out the FADC and all that. Just take it easy.

It was a bitch the first go-around, but after I started plinking the standing HP after the step kicks, it got worlds easier for me.

GOOD RUCK

dralla

Rice-Eater said:
http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/jul/08/tips-switching-pad-joystick/

i get my stick last year, took me about 2 weeks playing to get the hang of it. i would say it took 1-2 months to became comfortable with it. i could never play on a pad again

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Kadey said:
Most of my wins are from randomness. People tell me a lot that one minute, I can be all scrubby but another minute, I'm a tourney level player and they have no idea what the hell I'm going to do or why I can counter anything they do. The only explanation I can give is that I'm a spontaneous person which basically sums up my everyday life. I'm not a person that plans things out because most of the time it never goes as planned. And that translates to how I play fighters.

Honestly, the reason why I beat AZ back then was because of randomness. :lol

Crap this must be it. I am like this. Definitely must be this :lol
Hitokage said:
Personally, I only do ex SBK after mk SBK if I'm pretty sure that my opponent is going for the throw tech, and then only as a surprise gotcha and if they don't have meter for an invincible reversal.

Either backdashing or putting out a throw to be teched from are much better ways to end that combo in general.

I do this. Love when it catches people off-guard =P

Stantron

GGs, AZ Greg. Closing the distance on your Sim is a bitch! :lol I kept trying jumping mp with Honda, but even that would often trade unless perfectly timed.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Stantron said:
GGs, AZ Greg. Closing the distance on your Sim is a bitch! :lol I kept trying jumping mp with Honda, but even that would often trade unless perfectly timed.
Is that the little chop thing in the air? That chop move stuffs a lot of stuff, including Sim's slide, so it's pretty useful. You gotta time it right.

A properly timed standing fierce (that overhead chop move) can also hit Sim's standing fierce.

Stantron

Rentahamster said:
Is that the little chop thing in the air? That chop move stuffs a lot of stuff, including Sim's slide, so it's pretty useful. You gotta time it right.

A properly timed standing fierce (that overhead chop move) can also hit Sim's standing fierce.
Yeah the j.mp jumping chop is great, but Sim's hk standing knee seems to have really high priority. I think I need to time j.mp a bit early, and so that the tip of the hitbox barely makes contact.
I would also try jumping fierce which would at times lose to Sim's crouching fierce. Looks like he would just duck under it. :lol
Thanks for the standing fierce tip. I know that normal is more useful than I give credit for. It feels so unintuitive though. Especially against jump ins.

AZ Greg

Stantron said:

GGs. I thought your name looked familiar.

Despite the Honda match-up being in Sim's favor (at least I think it is), I'm still not very comfortable with it since I don't have much experience. I did find a sweet spot thought and was able to control things pretty nicely. It's such a scary fight though. It takes Sim an eternity to poke away his life. And then if I mess up and eat one headbutt it's back to square one. :(

Profound Sadness: Spending time away from home to be closer to work. I brought my PS3 and SF4 to play during my off-hours, but I forgot to pack my stick. :( :( :(

fresquito

So I made up my mind and am buying an arcade stick. However I have some final doubts about it. I hope you can help me with these ones.

1- Is the TE edition really that much better? Will spending twice the money be worth it?
2- I''ll be using it for PC, I've read both PS3 and 360 version work on PC. Can anybody confirm it works flawlessly?
3- How compatible is it with other games?
4- Does it work on W7 x64?

Thank you.

Wiseblade

fresquito said:
So I made up my mind and am buying an arcade stick. However I have some final doubts about it. I hope you can help me with these ones.

1- Is the TE edition really that much better? Will spending twice the money be worth it?
2- I''ll be using it for PC, I've read both PS3 and 360 version work on PC. Can anybody confirm it works flawlessly?
3- How compatible is it with other games?
4- Does it work on W7 x64?

Thank you.

1. The TE stick is pretty much the top of the range stick but I believe there are some good quality sticks available for less. I think you can get a Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 for a little less.

2. Yeah it's just plug in and play for the 360 one at least.

3. you could easily use it for anything that doesn't require simultaneous use of the dpad/analog sticks.

4. It works on W7-32bit, so probably?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thanks a lot for the tips about Abel Hard trial 5 but after 4 hours yesterday, I gave up.

Now for something better: What's a better (easier!) link to do after Abels forward MK dash? I want to start linking some crazy shit with it, WITHOUT using HP. Anything?

Edit: Also, what's the fucking point in rolling and then grabbing after Abels cr. fierce? Why can't I just grab immediately after it?

Top Bottom