• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Kaako said:
GGs Adam Prime. Intense sets mang.

yeah I know man, that was fun. This game is the most fun when you're playing an "equal" opponent. Sorry I don't know more characters. I'm going to make it my goal to learn to play with at least one other character that way people on my friends list don't get bored fighting Sagat over and over! :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Grifter said:
close hp is right up there with his fastest starting moves
Damn it, it's just so damn hard to perform... so there's NOTHING else to do from it? Jesus.

vocab

fresquito said:
So I made up my mind and am buying an arcade stick. However I have some final doubts about it. I hope you can help me with these ones.

1- Is the TE edition really that much better? Will spending twice the money be worth it?
2- I''ll be using it for PC, I've read both PS3 and 360 version work on PC. Can anybody confirm it works flawlessly?
3- How compatible is it with other games?
4- Does it work on W7 x64?

Thank you.

Like I said. PS3 TE's don't work on all PC's.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Grifter said:
the rolling makes it easier and gets some meter.
It's not making things easier for me... only 20x harder, seriously. I can get it 9/10 times without the rolling and barely 2/10 with the roll...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
vocab said:
Like I said. PS3 TE's don't work on all PC's.

PS3 TEs also don't work with PS2/PS1 games, if I remember correctly.

360 TEs do work with old XBox games (pretty much only important for SF:Anniversary).

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Yoshichan said:
Damn it, it's just so damn hard to perform... so there's NOTHING else to do from it? Jesus.
If the f.MK dash cl.HP is the hardest part of the trial for you, try plinking it. The_Log_Ride mentioned it earlier, but it really does make a world of difference. I don't play Abel at all and generally have shoddy execution, but I can do that 1f link pretty regularly by plinking HP~MP.

If you have the muscle memory for everything else (cancelling into CoD, FADCing that, etc.), you've already done 90% of the work. Don't give up now!

Grifter

close jab will combo too with the same startup, but there's no reason to. do practice plinking. i avoid the 1-frame links, but this one at least feels right, timing-wise.

Yoshichan said:
It's not making things easier for me... only 20x harder, seriously. I can get it 9/10 times without the rolling and barely 2/10 with the roll...

then do it without. iirc, rolling into the fierce sky fall doesn't work on all characters so that may be your issue. i used to roll into jab sky to be safe.

Leunam

Yoshichan said:
Edit: Also, what's the fucking point in rolling and then grabbing after Abels cr. fierce? Why can't I just grab immediately after it?

Builds meter and hit confirm. Abel already builds meter pretty quick so it's mostly for hit confirming purposes.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Grifter said:
close jab will combo too with the same startup, but there's no reason to. do practice plinking. i avoid the 1-frame links, but this one at least feels right, timing-wise.

then do it without. iirc, rolling into the fierce sky fall doesn't work on all characters so that may be your issue. i used to roll into jab sky to be safe.

I think he's just trying to finish the trial, as opposed to using it in an actual match.

Yoshichan said:
Thanks a lot for the tips about Abel Hard trial 5 but after 4 hours yesterday, I gave up.

Now for something better: What's a better (easier!) link to do after Abels forward MK dash? I want to start linking some crazy shit with it, WITHOUT using HP. Anything?

Edit: Also, what's the fucking point in rolling and then grabbing after Abels cr. fierce? Why can't I just grab immediately after it?

Keep at it man... Did you try plinking?

Not sure about anything else to link after his step kick. You can always try shenangans with step kick followed by Tornado Throws, or regular throws

Rolling helps with hit confirming after the Cr.HP. Also, the rolls can set up some resets after you launch them in the air. Cr.HP xx roll then hit 'em again with the Cr.HP xx roll and you can follow with more mix ups block strings into step kicks, throws, tornado throws... oh my god the randomness

Leunam

Finally going to customize my HRAP3 beyond buttons. Just figured out what kind of artwork I want.

the_log_ride said:
oh my god the randomness

Until you start getting nailed by auto correct SRK all the time.

Yoshichan

the_log_ride said:
Keep at it man... Did you try plinking?

Not sure about anything else to link after his step kick. You can always try shenangans with step kick followed by Tornado Throws, or regular throws

Rolling helps with hit confirming after the Cr.HP. Also, the rolls can set up some resets after you launch them in the air. Cr.HP xx roll then hit 'em again with the Cr.HP xx roll and you can follow with more mix ups block strings into step kicks, throws, tornado throws... oh my god the randomness
Thanks man.

I've kept going with Abel 6 hours non-stop today. My fingers are starting to bleed. I fucking hate Abel but I love playing with him so much. If it wasn't for that stupid kick... ARGH.

Gonna continue trying until it works... let it take 50 hours.

Edit - FUCK it, I'm recording this problem of mine.

Edit 2 - Uploading on Youtube... my camera skills are terrible but you'll notice how I didn't get the 1-frame link ONE SINGLE FUCKING TIME in 30 seconds of constant trying. Something's wrong with my game, I swear.

Edit 3 - well here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ZFseM7tf8

Sorry for the camera skills (heck you can't even see the hit counter but NOTHING starts hitting near the end). ARuysghuiahuighasj

Edit 4 - don't mention my quick rage at the end of the video :lol That shit happens every 30 seconds off-camera.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yoshichan said:
Thanks man.

I've kept going with Abel 6 hours non-stop today. My fingers are starting to bleed. I fucking hate Abel but I love playing with him so much. If it wasn't for that stupid kick... ARGH.

Gonna continue trying until it works... let it take 50 hours.

You're making me pretty nervous. I have Abel's Trial 5 left to do myself. I was thinking of trying it tonight.

For the life of me, I still can't get Viper's Trial 3, even with the advice given here. My movements just don't seem precise enough to buffer the motion with those links AND do that ridiculous cancel at the end.

So far, I've done around 90-100 of the trials. I've got the hardest left to go, which kills me.

Yoshichan

GuardianE said:
You're making me pretty nervous. I have Abel's Trial 5 left to do myself. I was thinking of trying it tonight.

For the life of me, I still can't get Viper's Trial 3, even with the advice given here. My movements just don't seem precise enough to buffer the motion with those links AND do that ridiculous cancel at the end.

So far, I've done around 90-100 of the trials. I've got the hardest left to go, which kills me.
Don't worry, I suck hard at this game so don't worry.

Also, I've given up Abel now.

If I can't beat his final trial, how can I ever do any good with him in a real battle? (yes, I know this is false but still).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yoshichan said:
Don't worry, I suck hard at this game so don't worry.

Also, I've given up Abel now.

If I can't beat his final trial, how can I ever do any good with him in a real battle? (yes, I know this is false but still).

Is this really your last one? You've done the other ridiculous ones (Gen, Fuerte, Viper, Ken)?

Yoshichan

GuardianE said:
Is this really your last one? You've done the other ridiculous ones (Gen, Fuerte, Viper, Ken)?
Nooo :lol I've done all except Fuerte (haven't even started), Gouken (heard this one's easy) and Abel (last trial).

Leunam

Try this next time:

Hit HP~MP

When you do it right, your input will look like this:

MPHP
HP
>
>MK

Basically you hit MP and HP a fraction of a second apart so that you hit HP first. You should be a little more consistent with your HP link with that.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yoshichan said:
Nooo :lol I've done all except Fuerte (haven't even started), Gouken (heard this one's easy) and Abel (last trial).

Gouken's is very easy. I finished that Yesterday. Fuerte's not terrible until the last one, I've heard. I might need your advice on Viper. Are you using a stick? I'm on a Fightpad and it feels like I can never be precise enough for it to work.

Yoshichan

Leunam said:
Try this next time:

Hit MP~HP

MPHP
HP
>
>MK

Basically you hit MP and HP a fraction of a second apart so that you hit HP first. You should be a little more consistent with your HP link with that.

Dude, WTF is this shit? I got it IN AN INSTANT, 5 times in a row. How come NO ONE's ever told me about this? And what's the trick? Are we actually tricking the game into thinking we're doing MP but instead HP comes out? It works AMAZINGLY well, dude daaaaaaamn!

I'm gonna try hard trial 5 now, god bless!

Yoshichan said:
Dude, WTF is this shit? I got it IN AN INSTANT, 5 times in a row. How come NO ONE's ever told me about this? And what's the trick? Are we actually tricking the game into thinking we're doing MP but instead HP comes out? It works AMAZINGLY well, dude daaaaaaamn!

I'm gonna try hard trial 5 now, god bless!

lol wtf I've been telling you to plink this whole goddamned time

/storms off in a fit of rage

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
GuardianE said:
Gouken's is very easy. I finished that Yesterday. Fuerte's not terrible until the last one, I've heard. I might need your advice on Viper. Are you using a stick? I'm on a Fightpad and it feels like I can never be precise enough for it to work.
Fuerte's j.HK,lp,lp,lp,lk cr.mk took me hours n hours...

Wiseblade

Yoshichan said:

Good luck with Fuerte's hard trial 4. You're going to need it. :lol

The worst part is that apart from the fifth trial, you're NEVER going to use any of them.

Leunam said:
Try this next time:

Hit MP~HP

MPHP
HP
>
>MK

Shouldn't it be HP~MP then? Typo?

Yoshichan

Fuck it. My mind is not capable of trial 5. I manage to the last two parts where I need to repeat the MK dash HP and my mind just stops COMPLETELY when I reach that part.

I guess I'm just dumb as fuck.

I'll give up here. My arm has serious, serious pain right now so I'll just stop at here. For my and yours sake.

Good job SF4, you beat me.

Edit - besides, I was never good at SF anyway. And non-shoto characters for that. I hate myself right now. I'm going to drink myself drunk right now.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yoshichan said:
Fuck it. My mind is not capable of trial 5. I manage to the last two parts where I need to repeat the MK dash HP and my mind just stops COMPLETELY when I reach that part.

I guess I'm just dumb as fuck.

I'll give up here. My arm has serious, serious pain right now so I'll just stop at here. For my and yours sake.

Good job SF4, you beat me.

Bah, don't do that. Come back in a few hours. When I'm doing the hard trials, I notice that I'm actually getting fatigued by how nervewracking some of them are... especially if you're not familiar with the character. I get noticeably worse over time until I take a break.

I got my friend (an abel player) to do hard trial 5 for me

i have only seen it attempted once in a real match, and that was on an FADC stream where the player had a massive lead, and even then he fucked it up

some of these things are so silly

say, speaking of abel, what happened to timekillr?

Yoshichan

Right. Where was I?

Yeah I was so obsessed with Abel trials I completely forgot about some of his stuff WORTH DOING and I remember wanting to ask this yesterday but forgot...

What's up with his Ultra wiffing for me all the time? I can't seem to do a casual cr.hp, ultra (non-fadc or roll) without it wiffing. What's the trick here?

Edit: I know I'm dumb... I'm trying to do his final trial without even understanding how to get his ultra straight :lol Sorry.

Rufus

Learning is a process, not a binary state. Listen to the above and just try again later or the next day. You need to give your brain time to do some wiring and that means taking breaks. No use bashing your head against a wall, after a while you're not going to make any progress and the frustration is only going to make everything worse.

Leunam

Yoshichan said:
What's up with his Ultra wiffing for me all the time? I can't seem to do a casual cr.hp, ultra (non-fadc or roll) without it wiffing. What's the trick here?

General rule is, you want the Ultra to go off when the opponent is either above or slightly level with the top of your head. You want to start inputting the QCF, QCF while the cr.HP animation is still active. Also, it's not easy to pull off in the corner.

Yoshichan

Leunam said:
General rule is, you want the Ultra to go off when the opponent is either above or slightly level with the top of your head. You want to start inputting the QCF, QCF while the cr.HP animation is still active. Also, it's not easy to pull off in the corner.
Well that was pretty cool! Got it now :D Corner seems impossible though but n/m that. I need some break I think <,<

Leunam

Yoshichan said:
Well that was pretty cool! Got it now :D Corner seems impossible though but n/m that. I need some break I think <,<

cr.HP > lp.CoD > EX FADC > Ultra works in the corner, but why bother since you'll probably spend two bars getting close enough to do the cr.HP? I say keep them in the corner.

Rufus said:
Learning is a process, not a binary state. Listen to the above and just try again later or the next day. You need to give your brain time to do some wiring and that means taking breaks. No use bashing your head against a wall, after a while you're not going to make any progress and the frustration is only going to make everything worse.

I agree. Even when you start up again, try to keep your calm. I remember the fits of rage I'd get into trying to practice FFF with Viper. Good times.

Yoshichan

Yoshichan

Leunam said:
Yeah then cancel and dash forward. Not really worth it unless it's a killing blow. Ojisan Boy shows the magic here.
Thanks! Finally got it to work.

Damn, I really thought Abel was a dude who could put those Ultras easy but I'm finding them hard to do in battles except Fireball baiting. Oh well. More practice for the tournament on Saturday.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
_dementia said:
I got my friend (an abel player) to do hard trial 5 for me

i have only seen it attempted once in a real match, and that was on an FADC stream where the player had a massive lead, and even then he fucked it up

some of these things are so silly

say, speaking of abel, what happened to timekillr?

Probably recording vids of games. I think he just had a tourney.

Oh yeah, about Abel »mk stuff, Timekiller was the one that helped me with it. I finally managed to get Viper's bk shenanigans down but I still can't reliably do Abel's stuff. It was one of the hardest combos vids I had to do when I did his. :lol

Top Bottom