• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Freaking can't get use to the forward facing wall jump for Vega with EX.. If I do what you say to do Haunts then I leave myself open for blocks and I cant seem to connect it as fast as some others do :(

I hope I get the hang of it.. So far I'm saving a lot of EX for Drill which is working great for me.

My BP's are up to 800+ YAY!

:lol

I have a tournament at my office in a few days so I need to prep up to win the first prize :p

Ridli

I'm somewhat glad there isn't some tracker to let me know how much time I watched that feed, it would be kind of depressing. Still, I think it's hilarious that Gaf has taken the place over.

Gawd.... 3 more days. I wonder if I have enough sleeping pills to go into a nice coma until tuesday?

Ridli said:
I'm somewhat glad there isn't some tracker to let me know how much time I watched that feed, it would be kind of depressing. Still, I think it's hilarious that Gaf has taken the place over.

Gawd.... 3 more days. I wonder if I have enough sleeping pills to go into a nice coma until tuesday?
Even took over in the game. Ive beaten that guy 3 out of 3 times today.. :lol

Xabora

Ridli said:

2 gaf members are mods on the Stream. :eek:

ashism

TurtleSnatcher said:
Where on the menu do i adjust japanese language and english language optiosn?

Christ I've looked everyhwere :lol
For the individual characters or the game?

You gotta beat the game to change voice tracks. Then options in the main menu. To change it to english overall, change your 360's default language to english.

Teknoman

ashism said:

You gotta beat the game to change voice tracks. Then options in the main menu. To change it to english overall, change your 360's default language to english.

So jp language options for specific characters arent there from the start?

ashism said:

Where in the main menu..?

Arde5643

Lol, I asked for some Fuerte to show up and the first guy to do so doesn't know how to use him at all. :lol

HOLY cow is Fuerte's English voice bad (and not the good kind of bad)! :lol :lol

Syckx

I have to say, I really like the fightpads that MadCatz made for this game. As mentioned previously, I have had a hard time adjusting to the TE fightstick, but I am kicking all kinds of ass in SSFTHDR with the fightpads. After playing around with the stick and getting my ass kicked, I switched to the fightpad and went on a 90% win rate over about 50 matches. I really like these pads.

Dizzan

MINI Member
My only gripe with the presentation of SFIV is the HUD> I wish they minimised the health bar to something a little less obtrusive yet still functional. And do we really need the player names AND pictures plastered on the screen?

bounchfx

seriously hate you guys who got it early. i'm anxious so I just hooked up my DC and I'm gonna play some SF3 that I didn't play enough of to curve my cravings.

then of course forget about all the characters

Review code box is awesome. Pride of place on a shelf kinda stuff :)

5lw3o2.jpg

ashism

Zapages said:
You weren't that bad man... You rocked as Sakura!
Only cause he sucked with Chun! :( Thank you for the encouragement though.

Arde5643 said:
Who do you main in Sf4?
Nobody but shotos atm. I can't remember any inputs so I just goof around with shoto's until I can get them all down again.

Focus absorbing projectiles is tougher than it looks. It's pretty situational, I gotta get the feel for it.

Blueblur1

These people are pretty bad. Wow. Only one person has used Focus Attacks and they weren't even used effectively. I'm no pro but now I see what they're doing wrong and what is lacking. Keep improving ashism!

And dave repeatedly saying that donating will make you a mod is pissing me off. At this point I'm regretting the donation because he's been getting douchey. :lol

ashism

copybeaver said:
Looks like you're learning though. You were pretty fun to watch and I'm sure everyone appreciates you using different characters.
Thanks man. Good to hear words of encouragement. I am open to pointers, although everyone may not be able to provide enough D:
I got a luck ultra kill off with Viper there. I was praying her ultra would be QCFx2 PPP. Thank god it was.

Anyways, still learning the basics of focus attack, the other guy didn't use them at all, but he knew how to counter them good enough. Everytime I would go for a focus he armor broke me. Probably cause I was obvious as hell though.

Teknoman

Well so far my SE stick has worked perfectly with the HDR trial (had to set button config first), SFIIHF, TMNT II, and R-type Dimensions. No stuck directions or buttons or anything. Do hear a slight extra clicking when moving the joystick diagonally though. Hope thats not trouble ahead.

"Do hear a slight extra clicking when moving the joystick diagonally though. Hope thats not trouble ahead."

When you hit a diagonal, you're hitting two microswitches (vertical and horizontal) at once. That's probably the extra clicking you're hearing.

Arde5643

ashism said:
Thanks man. Good to hear words of encouragement. I am open to pointers, although everyone may not be able to provide enough D:
I got a luck ultra kill off with Viper there. I was praying her ultra would be QCFx2 PPP. Thank god it was.

Anyways, still learning the basics of focus attack, the other guy didn't use them at all, but he knew how to counter them good enough. Everytime I would go for a focus he armor broke me. Probably cause I was obvious as hell though.
Viper's focus attack is pretty bad so it's usually only useful for baiting, building ultra with fireballs at long distance, or for obvious situations where you're sure to hit (i'm still not sure where this is :p).

If you want a good focus attack, go use Fei Long, Smash! :D
Plus, I also want to see someone using Fei who actually uses the focus attack.

ashism

I know this thread is all full of pro talk and shit. But really, I am having a blast at my crap level. Alot of my specials come out wrong, I EX at the wrong time, I can't focus worth crap. But, I am having a blast.

If anyone is unsure about picking this one up cause they haven't been into a fighter since puberty finished wrapping up, don't hesitate. Call an old friend up, load up the game, and start beating the crap out of eachother.

Even my button mashing friend is having fun, but I guess opinions could vary for mashers.

Good times, glad I got an early hookup. A few months ago SFIV was barely on my radar, but this is gonna be one of my more played games here at the house with everyone.

Teknoman

Teknopathetic said:
"Do hear a slight extra clicking when moving the joystick diagonally though. Hope thats not trouble ahead."

When you hit a diagonal, you're hitting two microswitches (vertical and horizontal) at once. That's probably the extra clicking you're hearing.

Oh well in that case, everything is fine for now. Even performing specials on 2p side easily.

Arde5643

ashism said:
I know this thread is all full of pro talk and shit. But really, I am having a blast at my crap level. Alot of my specials come out wrong, I EX at the wrong time, I can't focus worth crap. But, I am having a blast.

If anyone is unsure about picking this one up cause they haven't been into a fighter since puberty finished wrapping up, don't hesitate. Call an old friend up, load up the game, and start beating the crap out of eachother.

Even my button mashing friend is having fun, but I guess opinions could vary for mashers.

Good times, glad I got an early hookup. A few months ago SFIV was barely on my radar, but this is gonna be one of my more played games here at the house with everyone.
:D , you're probably a much better player than me since I'm very scrubby - the only Street Fighter I've played and tried seriously was Super Street Fighter 2 back when I was still in high school.

Didn't pick up any Alpha, any of the VS series, and was interested in SF3 but was intimidated by the high level play parry system.

So this will be the next Street Fighter I actually want to be a bit serious in after 10+ years of not touching any 2D fighting game.

I think I like SF4 so far because when I see expert players play, there's not too much crazy combos a la VS games or Guilty Gear, but a focus on zoning and footsies a la SF2. I like the FA system since it brings something akin to SF3 but not too much where quick offense and mastery of parrying is everything in SF3.

PS: Cool, just saw Mini-Pez winning with Claw. Nice to see a Claw player. He uses the wall-dive a bit too much though.

PPS: Rufus' English voice is awesome!! Gotta switch it right away to English once I get the game. :D

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Blueblur1 said:
Can I have some kick ass art? ;)

5 bucks will get you an avatar you would get for free anyways :D

GalacticAE said:
How's the TE stick treating you, Spaniard?

Sticks been awesome, no manufacturing issues whatsoever, love all the little details everywhere (like the small hole in the wire compartment so that you can close it without damaging the wire) Once Sony gets their shit together and issues a patch so that you can use the stick with PS2 games, its golden.

My only "complaint" is that I only have HDR to try it on, and while it performed great, its still an old ass game, so if I could try it on 3S I could give a much better impression. When I tried it on the PC it didnt work, so I have no impressions there (buttons worked, but my computer -Vista- wouldnt recognize the stick)

The size really is what sells it though, its so wide that you immediately feel like youre in an arcade, your forearms rest comfortably without falling to the sides. Cant give enough props to MadCatz and the crew on this one, specially since Im not the type thats gonna mod his stick anytime soon (manual shit fucks with me bad, give me a pencil and I can draw whatever, but arts and crafts I suck at) its great to have something so close to the best you can possibly get.

Syckx said:
I have to say, I really like the fightpads that MadCatz made for this game. As mentioned previously, I have had a hard time adjusting to the TE fightstick, but I am kicking all kinds of ass in SSFTHDR with the fightpads. After playing around with the stick and getting my ass kicked, I switched to the fightpad and went on a 90% win rate over about 50 matches. I really like these pads.

I'm going through the same thing now with 3rd Strike. I'm getting eaten alive with the stick but I know if I go back to even the regular 360 pad I'd be doing much better. I've noticed that at least for right now the stick requires far more concentration than I'm used to having to devote to getting basic moves out yet it's opening up parts of the game (like dashing and parrying) that I practically ignored before. I'm going to stick with it but I can tell the first few weeks with SFIV is going to be very painfull for me, especially online :/

Arde5643 said:
Viper's focus attack is pretty bad so it's usually only useful for baiting, building ultra with fireballs at long distance, or for obvious situations where you're sure to hit (i'm still not sure where this is :p).

Bad? No...
It's not the best in the game but it's not bad. Best used at lvl1 during poke/block strings to get momentum.

As a Gief player, the move to sticks back in the day was so much of a godsend. I'm still really particular with sticks in general as I have a hard time adjusting unless I like the feel a lot, but I can live with that.

Speaking of sticks...

dsstick8.jpg

dsstick9.jpg

Got my 360 TE stick (fucking GS didn't have my PS3 one that I preordered in Nov...) and an PS3 SE stick to complement my HRAP3 for now. Went straight to modding and for now my TE has Seimitsu buttons and an ultimated modded JLF and the SE has Sanwas with another ultimate modded JLF. Sexy.

I'll post pics of last night's screens in a bit when I had some of my friends over.

the stream is a bit painful to watch, i find myself yelling at the screen trying to tell em what to do........ahhhh.....3 more days : (

akachan ningen said:
I love how davedog whiffs hundreds of DPs trying to do the ultra and the other player does nothing to punish those DPs.
That was me not punishng.. Sorry im not so freaking elite as you..

Christ you are a douche.. Its like newbs cant play the game

ashism

TurtleSnatcher said:

Just let off alot of taunts and play characters you have no idea what the inputs are. I did this, half the crowd was not pleased, but I did not care!

TurtleSnatcher said:

If you're a newb and are trying to get good, you should be willing to take a little criticism and learn from it instead of going crazy.

Top Bottom