• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

LiK

bdizzle said:
you guys must have never played at an arcade or something. street fighter is all about trash talking. i was playing this dude yesterday, able vs bison and we was talking all kinda shit to each other. reminded me when i was 10

opposite for me during my arcade days. people simply play, beat one another. wait for next person in line. the person who talks the most trash usually sucked from my experience. ;)

Dave Long

Banned
The trash talkers have to be just like those guys on the Madden Challenge who make watching the Madden Challenge completely unbearable, even if you like to see the game being played by good players.

andymcc

Banned
Kintaro said:
BTW guys, since I don't play my 360 that much, how do you install games now? I'm probably missing the obvious option but where is it?

press y on the game instead of a. mine just finished installing, bye gaf. :lol

Kintaro said:
BTW guys, since I don't play my 360 that much, how do you install games now? I'm probably missing the obvious option but where is it?

Under My Xbox where it shows the panel for the what's in the disc tray. Hit Y. then click install Game to HDD.

Volcynika

I can mic chat with anyone from GAF, it's just most of the time you won't hear much from me, since I'm not used to playing fighting games online with voice chat. But the things I do say will be just short rather than constant trash talking! :p

bestami

Did anybody else ordered from vgp ? My ps3 ce is still in pre order status. Am i the only one ? I am a bit freaked out, help me out :p.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
diffusionx said:
Talking trash at the arcade is different because there's a regulator called a punch in the face (or, more generally, just being next to the person you are playing). Not so much online. And quite frankly, getting told your game sucks after losing a match is the least of what one hears on XBL on a daily basis. Quite frankly I'd rather just play it safe and turn off the mic.

This.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I guess it's just my personality, but when playing with randoms I'm a super friendly person. I congratulate them when they own me in flashy ways and I tell them "good game" if I win. Admit when I got lucky and am humble when I execute well.

Playing with folks online for me is a much more calming experience than playing with friends, as I must win at all costs :lol

LiK

Volcynika said:
I can mic chat with anyone from GAF, it's just most of the time you won't hear much from me, since I'm not used to playing fighting games online with voice chat. But the things I do say will be just short rather than constant trash talking! :p

it's fun to chat but i dont understand the trash talking either.

xt04 said:
I dont think talking in itself is the problem necessarily. Its more so the quality of the average individual on XBL and to a lesser extent PSN. Racism, ignorance and just plain annoying assholes. No thanks. (Im talking about playing with randoms. )

In the arcade theres certain things no one would dare to say, least not without getting their block knocked off. The safety of the internet makes everyone bold.

So far i haven't run into any of those, guess i've been lucky. usually everyone i've fucked with fucked with me right back.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Does installing change much with SF4?

reduces loading

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Last evening, Gamestop @ 14th Union Square had a big-ass line waiting outside the store for the shipment to come in. Shit was like a movie premiere. Luckily they had enough 360 copies that I could go inside and pre-purchase it and then wait in line with my receipt.

When the DHL guy finally showed, everyone cheered and there were even a couple of "Hadoken!" shouts for good measure. Geek City total. :D

I only got to play for about 2 hours last night and went straight online where my Abel was pummeled by an orgy of Ryu and Ken. Think I had 1 win maybe. It wasn't so much that I didn't know Abel--he's basic enough really--but I had a hell of a time getting used to the almost methodical speed of movement. Everything just felt sluggish compared to classic 2D SF and it totally threw off all my normal timing. A good example is my sad attempts at landing meaty sweeps on opponent wake-up--I kept missing it over and over and would instead eat Shoryukens. Basic shit like that. This isn't really a fault of course but other than that my only "complaints" are:

Way too much shit on the screen. Did they really have to make the Ultra/Revenge gauge shoot out giant, doofy flames?? It wasn't enough to just glow red? This kinda leads into:

Special effects--I mostly love 'em but I'd like to actually see more of what's going on up close and personal. I felt like Capcom's approaching Tekken territory with all the big flashes and pretty lights. It would have been cool if their was an option to tune them down.

Backgrounds--mostly great but some are definitely lacking. Not a big deal really but it's probably a combo of bad art/ugliness (Diner) and sparseness (ship). I also didn't appreciate clipping through the wing of that jet (the one that rolls out and looks great) on what assume is Guile's stage but my annoyance was probably more because I was shoryuken'ed through it to lose a match. ;-)

Hmm. What else to bitch about. English voices suck ass mostly. Back on Japanese with the quickness--I thought there was an option to choose language fighter by fighter which would have been awesome.

That's pretty much it. Abel is the shit. He reminds me a lot of Alex both in stature and because of his command throw. Music is great. Playing single-player Arcade with the option to have peeps challenge you really is the most genius thing I've seen done with an online component. Just an incredibly polished product, really.

Spasm

Is Sakura considered Shoto? I think I'm going to main her.

Edit: V V V Expect a trainwreck of a Gametrailers comparison thread soon.

McLovin

Any difference between the 360 and PS3 version? Besides the controller. Like frame-rate, native resolution, exclusive characters?

RubxQub

bob_arctor said:
Hmm. What else to bitch about. English voices suck ass mostly. Back on Japanese with the quickness--I thought there was an option to choose language fighter by fighter which would have been awesome.
There is, but you have to beat the game in arcade mode once I believe to unlock it (I think that's when I got it).

American Fei Long is so disorienting to hear :lol

LiK

bob_arctor said:

yea, Tekken 5 did it right.

RubxQub

Grifter said:
what's the right way to get akuma? seeing conflicting reports.
Go through arcade made without using a continue after you've unlocked all of the other characters that you can, and win twice with perfects and twice with ultimates (more if you'd like, but at least 2).

When you beat Seth, you'll fight Akuma.

Easy to do if you set the game to Easiest.

Sanjuro

Finally beat round two Seth. Game is pretty damn good, I'm going to have a hard time choosing this or MK vs. DCU for the greatest fighter of all time.

bob_arctor said:
Once you beat the game once, you can customize the voice acting.

ShinAmano

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Finally beat round two Seth. Game is pretty damn good, I'm going to have a hard time choosing this or MK vs. DCU for the greatest fighter of all time.
:lol :lol :lol not enough:lol for this to represent the:lol factor here.

RubxQub

ChrisGoldstein said:
Can you still unlock stuff by beating arcade on easy?

I dont have a prayer for beating it on medium atm
Yep.

Unlocked all my characters on Easiest with 1 stock.

You can simply hadouken everyone to death to get your perfects and it's very easy to widdle them down to nothing, let them beat on you and then ultimate them to finish them off to unlock Akuma and Gouken.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Think I'm gonna main Sagat, he seems the character I'm most consistent at winning with... C Viper is also really fun to play. Everyone online I've fought just uses Ryu and Ken, with one C Viper who spammed her qcb+p move. Haven't been doing so hot online... I need the pad bad, gonna check if the stores have them today.

skrew

Banned
i picked it up as a impluse buy just because they had them in stock, playing with the ds3 is killing my thumb. haven't gotten online yet cause my cable isn't installed yet (fucking month long wait cause of the huge ice storm that knocked out a lot of cable lines).

I didn't think i would get into a fighting game so much, i've been playing non stop for the last 2 days. I have way too much shit to do for both SF4 and killzone 2 to drop in the same month :(

RubxQub

esbern said:
is there a tier list out yet?
Eventhubs has one for the arcade version, but I wouldn't put too much stock into any tier lists until everyone has had more time with the game.

Nightz

Odd request but does anyone who have the PS3 CE NOT want the Ryu figure? I'll take it off your hands. It's the only real thing I wanted from the CE. :D

Nightz said:
Odd request but does anyone who have the PS3 CE NOT want the Ryu figure? I'll take it off your hands. It's the only real thing I wanted from the CE. :D

If I manage to get the CE, you can have it. I just want the anime on Blu-ray.

esbern said:
is there a tier list out yet?

Sagat, Ryu, Dictator, Boxer, Gief at the top. Rufus Akuma Blanka etc. mid. Fuerte, Claw, Guile bottom. Something like that.

I think the game is pretty balanced. The majority of characters are either A tier or B tier. Dunno the whole extent yet.

Game is installing (360 version). Can't wait.

Spy

It's been a long time since I've played a game for more than 8 hours. I love you SFIV. No one answered my question about if there's a way to see someone's win/loss ratio in ranked games.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Spy said:
It's been a long time since I've played a game for more than 8 hours. I love you SFIV. No one answered my question about if there's a way to see someone's win/loss ratio in ranked games.
I hope not, for my sake. :lol

Eh, my FightPad's have been dispatched, but not the game itself or the TE stick - and now I notice this on the site I ordered the stick from;

*Please note these Joysticks are in high demand & are on a first come - first served basis and will be sent as soon as stock comes in. Madcatz have informed us they will be sending out stock as and when its ready so please only order if you are prepared to wait.*

:*(

Hopefully I pre-ordered early enough to get one on release, but if not hopefully Madcatz don't keep me waiting too long.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Spy said:
Only wins. No losses are shown.

RubxQub

I was getting kicked from unranked matches a lot last night...are people able to check your unranked stats or something?

I see the Check Stats button but I've never pressed it :lol

Jirotrom said:
anyone have any strats for using Chun against seth?

when he wall jumps back fierce in his face. be unpredictable. play on easy lol

RubxQub said:
I was getting kicked from unranked matches a lot last night...are people able to check your unranked stats or something?

I see the Check Stats button but I've never pressed it :lol

stats is for the current session you're in. only shows you vs the guy you're playing atm. doesn't show you're entire record.

EDIT:

anyone know what other home unlockables there are? I got the dan shirt but i want more!

Top Bottom