• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Zeliard said:
If you have Akuma, and you actually fought Gouken and beat him, there's no reason he shouldn't be unlocked. I've heard of that happening to other people, but only when they didn't already have Akuma unlocked.
Nah, same thing happened to me.

I beat Gouken with Ryu and had Akuma unlocked and didn't get him.

Zeliard

RubxQub said:
Nah, same thing happened to me.

I beat Gouken with Ryu and had Akuma unlocked and didn't get him.

I dunno. This game's goofy with the unlockables.

I beat Gouken's ass down with Akuma and unlocked him. Maybe that's key?

ph15h said:
is there an installation? :eek:

Options > System Settings > Install

LiK

arstal said:
beat the game with Akuma first, then you can unlock Gouken.

Again, more unlockable stupidity.

joy. i noticed that that's what everyone is doing first. guess i'll be joinign the unlocking bandwagon soon.

Some of the combos in Trial Mode are needlessly complicated. Maybe its the Mad Catz FightPad, but I'm having a hard time with Sakura's jump in HP, standing MP, hadouken, FA

Kintaco

Damn you Best Buy, none in the area seem to have it yet. I have to wait until after 2pm for the shipment to arrive. I'm thinking this might be my best bet to get the CE version since toysrus.com seems to have no record of my order, BASTARDS!

At least I have the my fist your face site to entertain me. I even created a game me and a friend are playing, we pick celeb pics and we need to guess which celeb it is according the video. :D

Fantasmo

A few questions:

1) Is the Brawler DLC going to be available to non CE owners? If so, when?
2) Has anyone figured out exactly how to get Gouken? I unlocked Akuma, played through with ChunLi, got several perfects, did several Ultra Finishes, lost a few rounds, but didn't continue. No Gouken!
3) Is it possible to turn off the announcer?
4) Anyone know if the Fightpads will be around for a limited time, or if Mad Catz is going to continue to keep it around for awhile? Money is a little tight these days and I was only able to pick up one for now.

EDIT: I think my answer to #2 is above me. Maybe I have to beat it with Akuma first?

iMike76 said:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=175613

Ok, over at shoryuken.com there's a post about how to unlock all the characters, but there seems to be some confusion on how to do this. Some say 1 perfect round and 2 Ultra finishers, and other people say something different.

Does anyone have concrete info on how to do this?

Is this correct?

[Can unlock with one-round matches on the lowest difficulty level]
Sakura: Clear with Ryu
Cammy: Clear with C. Viper
Dan: Clear with Sakura
Fei-Long: Clear with Abel
Gen: Clear with Chun-Li
Rose: Clear with Dictator

Gouki/Akuma: After unlocking the above six, defeat Gouki
[For one-round matches: At least one perfect, no continues]
Gouken: After finishing the game with Gouki, defeat Gouken with any character
[For one-round matches: at least one perfect, no continues, at least two Ultra finishes]
Seth: Clear with all other characters

NOTE: Gouki and Gouken only appear to show up on the second or later playthrough with a given character. Perhaps it depends on your performance in Arcade Mode.

I have not clue as to what to do. I have the official guide but I haven't opened it yet. Last night I followed that and I fought Gouken and came up empty handed (I won and got nothing). I'll finish up clearing the game with the rest of the characters tonight...

Kintaco

Damn Toys R Us only had the CE version for PS3. :D Too bad it's too far from my work to go and get it. :(

Edit:
WTF is up with this stupid restrictions stores are putting on the game? I finally found a Best Buy with the game, but they won't sell it until 2pm. Fuck this launch has been lame, I really wish it was street dated.

Zeliard

junkster said:
2) Has anyone figured out exactly how to get Gouken? I unlocked Akuma, played through with ChunLi, got several perfects, did several Ultra Finishes, lost a few rounds, but didn't continue. No Gouken!

EDIT: I think my answer to #2 is above me. Maybe I have to beat it with Akuma first?

I got Gouken with Akuma but I don't think it's actually required. I think you may have done too many Ultras. The first time I tried to get Gouken, I had something like 5 or 6 Ultra finishes, and I never fought him. The second time, I had exactly three Ultra finishes, did nothing else differently, and fought Gouken. Both times were with Akuma.

What I find strange is RubxQub saying that he already has Akuma, actually fought Gouken and still didn't unlock him.

Owensboro

did a "Search This Thread", didn't find any good answers so.....

How's the online on PS3 and 360 folks? Should I still be afraid and wait another few weeks? Or can you get a match right away, with no downtime? Also, how's the lag? etc?

LiK

you guys think Gouken is time-based? maybe you have to play the Arcade mode for a certain amount of times and he'll pop up?

RubxQub

Zeliard said:
What I find strange is RubxQub saying that he already has Akuma, actually fought Gouken and still didn't unlock him.
Someone mentioned that you need to beat the game with Akuma first, so perhaps you satisfied those two requirements at the same time.

Won't be hard beating it with Akuma, just was surprised to see I didn't unlock him when I beat him :lol

Man this game is so awesome. I'm really diggin on C.Viper so far. Though I've only messed with her and Ryu. Ryu was always my go to character for every SF game. Really trying to avoid using him.

Captain N said:
anyone want some free wins?!? Add me

PSN
Captain_N
Haha. Same for me.

PSN: sevenchaos

Edit: BTW. Saturn controller rocks this shit so hard.

Evlar

Banned
Zeliard said:
I got Gouken with Akuma but I don't think it's actually required. I think you may have done too many Ultras. The first time I tried to get Gouken, I had something like 5 or 6 Ultra finishes, and I never fought him. The second time, I had exactly three Ultra finishes, did nothing else differently, and fought Gouken. Both times were with Akuma.

RubxQub didn't say he had finished the game with Akuma, just that he had unlocked Akuma.

EDIT: Yup yup.

RubxQub said:
Someone mentioned that you need to beat the game with Akuma first, so perhaps you satisfied those two requirements at the same time.

Won't be hard beating it with Akuma, just was surprised to see I didn't unlock him when I beat him :lol

As soon as I unlocked Akuma, I used him to unlock Gouken. I got 3 or 4 Ultra Raging Demon finishes and I got a Ultra Raging Demon finish on Gouken. I was able to unlock Gouken on my first try. Try finishing Gouken with an Ultra.

PhatSaqs

Banned
LiK said:
you guys think Gouken is time-based? maybe you have to play the Arcade mode for a certain amount of times and he'll pop up?
If after beating it with Akuma and then playing thru and getting at least 1 perfect and 1 Ultra finish and he still doesnt show up you may be right but I doubt it.

Owensboro said:
did a "Search This Thread", didn't find any good answers so.....

How's the online on PS3 and 360 folks? Should I still be afraid and wait another few weeks? Or can you get a match right away, with no downtime? Also, how's the lag? etc?
Online is phenomenal for both

I've only had one laggy match, but it's my fault for choosing a zero bar opponent

Spy

I couldn't figure out how to do this one hit with Sakura in trial mode level 3.

MP > HP

I was doing that. What am I doing wrong?

Kintaro said:
25z6k90.jpg
Why would you buy two copies of the same game?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Spy said:
I couldn't figure out how to do this one hit with Sakura in trial mode level 3.

MP > HP

I was doing that. What am I doing wrong?

timing... watch Dan's health meter, there should be two lights moving left to right on it after you connect the first hit. I think that's supposed to help you understand the timing of the second hit.

Zeliard

Evlar said:
RubxQub didn't say he had finished the game with Akuma, just that he had unlocked Akuma.

I know, that's what I'm saying. A lot of people are unable to unlock Gouken because they can't manage to get a fight with him in the first place. Others have fought him, but he still doesn't unlock even if they beat him - however, all of those people also said they didn't have Akuma unlocked before trying to get Gouken. It seems the game requires you to have Akuma before ever getting Gouken, even if you manage to get in a fight with Gouken before ever fighting Akuma.

Rubx is the first guy I've seen who says he beat Gouken while already having Akuma in his roster, and still didn't unlock him.

LiK

Zeliard said:
I know, that's what I'm saying. A lot of people are unable to unlock Gouken because they can't manage to get a fight with him in the first place. Others have fought him, but he still doesn't unlock even if they beat him - however, all of those people also said they didn't have Akuma unlocked before trying to get Gouken. It seems the game requires you to have Akuma before ever getting Gouken, even if you manage to get in a fight with Gouken before ever fighting Akuma.

Rubx is the first guy I've seen who says he beat Gouken while already having Akuma in his roster, and still didn't unlock him.

yea, unlocking Gouken with Akuma makes sense. just try that, if not, do all the other suggested requirements and try again.

RubxQub

Zeliard said:

I shall forever go down in the history books for this!

...but it seems like an unmentioned requirement is this "need to beat the game with Akuma" requirement. I may beat the game again with someone else that isn't Akuma and fight Gouken to see if this is truly the case if this isn't all figured out by the time I get home.

dfyb

Banned
there must be some restrictions on custom soundtracks for PS3. are there any games that let you use custom songs online? i know motorstorm and SFIV cut to regular music when you go online (as soon as the match is over (like during my win animation), it cuts back to my custom music)....

i assume 360 version uses custom songs while playing online?

Kano On The Phone said:

To play against different people. I'm doing the same thing (got the 360, and trying to find a PS3 CE). Some of my friends are playing on 360, some of them are playing on PS3... the way I see it, considering how much time I know I'm going to put into the game, it's worth paying for twice.

LiK

thirtytwoutside said:
To play against different people. I'm doing the same thing (got the 360, and trying to find a PS3 CE). Some of my friends are playing on 360, some of them are playing on PS3... the way I see it, considering how much time I know I'm going to put into the game, it's worth paying for twice.

same here. besides, why not? ;)

Zeliard

RubxQub said:
I shall forever go down in the history books for this!

...but it seems like an unmentioned requirement is this "need to beat the game with Akuma" requirement. I may beat the game again with someone else that isn't Akuma and fight Gouken to see if this is truly the case if this isn't all figured out by the time I get home.

Maybe you need to beat it twice with the same person, not necessarily Akuma. Because I fought and unlocked Gouken on my second go-around with Akuma.

Or maybe like you said before, I just got lucky and happened to use Akuma twice, and that's who you're supposed to use.

All I know is, these are some nutty unlockable character "rules". :p

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
This game has brought me a very hard self realization.

Not having played a fighting game since SF2 has made me weak. I'm getting absolutely TROUNCED online. I don't even think I could finish a playthrough on Medium - maybe Easy?

:(

Where can one go to actually learn how to play well? I've been reading a lot online, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

dfyb

Banned
Zeliard said:
Maybe you need to beat it twice with the same person, not necessarily Akuma. Because I fought and unlocked Gouken on my second go-around with Akuma.

Or maybe like you said before, I just got lucky and happened to use Akuma twice, and that's who you're supposed to use.

All I know is, these are some nutty unlockable character "rules". :p
you have to have beaten it as akuma as a prerequisit. then you have to play through again for gouken. i did akuma>ryu

LiK

unlocking Gouken with Akuma makes sense within the SF lore. i'm kinda surprised people are not taking Akuma into account as a requirement.

LowParry

Is anyone going to care about unlocking Seth? I see no point in playing him to be honest. I just need Gouken and challenges will come next.

I love playing Boxer but absolutely suck against Hadouken spamming Ken/Ryus :/ I've never been good at defeating button mashers and the like. Oh well...I'll keep training.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Kano On The Phone said:

I'm sure the majority of us in this thread are guilty of buying more than one version of a Street Fighter at some point... I've lost count myself.

LiK said:
unlocking Gouken with Akuma makes sense within the SF lore. i'm kinda surprised people are not taking Akuma into account as a requirement.

yeah, they kind of beat you over the head with that in some of the ending cinemas.

LowParry

DKo5 said:
This game has brought me a very hard self realization.

Not having played a fighting game since SF2 has made me weak. I'm getting absolutely TROUNCED online. I don't even think I could finish a playthrough on Medium - maybe Easy?

:(

Where can one go to actually learn how to play well? I've been reading a lot online, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

The way I learned was going back to basics. And that was STHD basics.

Top Bottom