• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Snaku

Banned
Just unlocked Cammy, and played a few ranked matches with her (went 2-2). She's so fun, and I'm not having any trouble pulling off any of her moves on the Saturn usb pad. :D

Barrett2

I am going to put together some custom tracks to listen to while playing.

What are some other good video game songs / soundtracks I should look into that would fit well with this game? As long as it is upbeat and high tempo, I will check it out. Suggestions?

rhino4evr

CcrooK said:
Is anyone going to care about unlocking Seth? I see no point in playing him to be honest. I just need Gouken and challenges will come next.

I don't know his Ultra is pretty bad ass..and super cheap.

Speakng of. Can someone tell me how to do the Ultra's/supers for Vega and Guile. I cannot pull either off. I don;t know what Im doing wrong.

Zeliard

CcrooK said:
Is anyone going to care about unlocking Seth? I see no point in playing him to be honest. I just need Gouken and challenges will come next.

I was done with unlocking after Gouken. Fuck Seth's broken ass.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I was just streaming a vid and it froze on this frame :lol :lol :lol

6zx27k.jpg

dfyb

Banned
rhino4evr said:

Speakng of. Can someone tell me how to do the Ultra's/supers for Vega and Guile. I cannot pull either off. I don;t know what Im doing wrong.
i don't play either of those, but i believe you do like honda's super, except the first time you go down forward and the second time you go up forward.

Y2Kev said:
rename sakura "panty shot"
looks like a daiper

rhino4evr said:

I'm having trouble with Guile too. I just can't wrap my head around the movements.

MoxManiac

omgimaninja said:
I love playing Boxer but absolutely suck against Hadouken spamming Ken/Ryus :/ I've never been good at defeating button mashers and the like. Oh well...I'll keep training.

Headbutt/EX rush punch through those fireballs!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
PhatSaqs said:
I was just streaming a vid and it froze on this frame :lol :lol :lol

http://i44.tinypic.com/6zx27k.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
If that was animated you'd have quite the gif on your hands.

Just like 2-3 frames needed to get the thrusting motion :lol

gettting straight up KILLED online. im 21-81.
angry.gif
thinking bout taking this game back before i break everything in this house.
angry.gif
or even worse start smoking. this game making me so mad.

DKo5 said:
This game has brought me a very hard self realization.

Not having played a fighting game since SF2 has made me weak. I'm getting absolutely TROUNCED online. I don't even think I could finish a playthrough on Medium - maybe Easy?

:(

Where can one go to actually learn how to play well? I've been reading a lot online, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Try the challenge modes to get the basics down.

rhino4evr

LEBRON KING JAMES said:
angry.gif
angry.gif

lol, I "dropped" my controller a few times last night...

n3ss

aka acr0nym
DKo5 said:
This game has brought me a very hard self realization.

Not having played a fighting game since SF2 has made me weak. I'm getting absolutely TROUNCED online. I don't even think I could finish a playthrough on Medium - maybe Easy?

:(

Where can one go to actually learn how to play well? I've been reading a lot online, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Best way to get better at a fighting games for me has been; watch high level videos, practice combo's in training mode and play against real people. It's also good to pay attention to why you win a match and why you lost a match and going back to correct those mistakes. Also reading specific character discussions on Shoryuken also helps. But PLAY against REAL people, especially people that are better than you. You don't learn much playing less skilled players.

Zeliard

rhino4evr said:

It can be tricky with a d-pad. In "simple" terms, charge bottom left, then quickly move your thumb over to the right then slightly back and towards the top-right. It has to be pretty fast. If you're going straight from bottom left to top right (similar to bottom to top with a regular flash kick), I don't think it'll work.

That's Guile, dunno if Vega's is the same.

Aquanox

Street Fighter IV PS3 is sub-HD in close-up
Wednesday, 18 Feb 2009 16:12

[Ryu]
Ryu
Street Fighter IV has been getting much praise for its combination of classic gameplay and updated graphics technology, but there are differences between the console versions.

Firstly, you're going to notice more jagged edges in the PlayStation 3 game, since it doesn't feature any anti-aliasing. This is in contrast to the Xbox 360's 2xAA.

This isn't that much of a negative, since the 'jaggies' are barely noticeable when playing in the traditional gameplay view.

However, you might notice the edges in the character close-ups, a view where the PlayStation 3 suffers slightly in another area. During the close-up sequences, generally used with special moves, the PS3 game's rendering resolution drops from 720p to nearer 630p, which is then up-scaled for output.

An odd occurrence that can be best demonstrated through the following game captures. You'll notice that the PlayStation 3 screenshot is slightly blurred, where you'll also see that Ryu's headband features more obvious jagged edges.

Xbox 360
StreetFighter4_03_360.png

PlayStation 3
StreetFighter4_03_PS3.png

(Click on the images to enlarge)

The reason for the drop in resolution is at the moment unknown, since elsewhere the PlayStation 3 build of Street Fighter IV is in the typical high-definition resolution; 720p. This can be best seen in the following images, where you'll struggle to find any discernible differences between the two:

Xbox 360
StreetFighter4_13_360.png

PlayStation 3
StreetFighter4_13_PS3.png

(Click on the images to enlarge)

The problem of reduced resolution in close-ups may lie in the fact that Street Fighter IV renders at an impressive and essential 60 frames-per-second, in addition to featuring impressive particle effects.

The latter are especially visible during close-up special moves, meaning that the many hidden pixels being drawn behind the particles (known as overdraw) may cause problems for the PS3's RSX graphics card at 60fps. Or at least it might be more trouble than its worth when porting the game to the PS3. Capcom's best and easiest solution to avoid reduced performance would be to reduce the resolution.

You can watch high-definition videos of the Xbox 360 build after this link, and the
PlayStation 3 after this link. Compare for yourself and see how close the two version are, despite the PlayStation 3's shortcomings. Not worth too much fuss we're sure you'll agree.

Street Fighter IV releases in the UK this Friday, when a Guinness World Record will be attempted at its launch in London.

Source

For those interested.

Xbox 360: 2xAA, 720p all the time.
PS3: No AA, Sub HD in Close-Ups.

Zeliard

Aquanox said:
Source

For those interested.

The differences between the PS3 and 360 version are seriously indistinguishable in motion. Especially with all the particle and lighting effects that cover up the jaggies and other blemishes. The close-ups in particular happen so quickly that it would be impossible to know they're at 630p without pausing it and counting pixels.

LiK

Zeliard said:
The differences between the PS3 and 360 version are seriously indistinguishable in motion. Especially with all the particle and lighting effects that cover up the jaggies and other blemishes. The close-ups in particular happen so quickly that it would be impossible to know they're at 630p without pausing it and counting pixels.

yea, only people who are sitting VERY close will even notice.

GuessWho said:
is there a link where we can see how to unlock everyone?

first.....FUCKING....POST!!!!!!!!!!

:D

CHARACTER UNLOCK CONDITIONS
[Can unlock with one-round matches on the lowest difficulty level]
Sakura: Clear with Ryu
Cammy: Clear with C. Viper
Dan: Clear with Sakura
Fei-Long: Clear with Abel
Gen: Clear with Chun-Li
Rose: Clear with Dictator

Gouki/Akuma: After unlocking the above six, defeat Gouki
[For one-round matches: At least one perfect, no continues]

Gouken: After finishing the game with Gouki, defeat Gouken with an Ultra.

[For one-round matches: at least one perfect, no continues, at least 2 Ultra finishes]

Seth: Clear with all other characters

NOTE: Gouki and Gouken only appear to show up on the second or later playthrough with a given character.

Regarding the number of Ultra combo finishes required to face Gouki or Gouken:
Gouken only appears after at least two ultra combo finishes

Aquanox said:
Source

For those interested.

noone cares

EDIT:

GuessWho said:
is there a link where we can see how to unlock everyone?

I think gaf is trying to drive me crazy....... :X

Canti

Goddamn this thread has grown 20 pages since I last checked it yesterday evening.

Amazon still hasn't shipped my order! I preordered months ago @%$"(%!

>:

LEBRON KING JAMES said:
angry.gif
angry.gif
Haha, you're not alone. I don't know how many times I tried beating Zangief last night before I said screw it.

Raw64life

Picked this up on my lunch break. Several painful hours of work remain before I can play it. Also picked up DQV and I'm having a hard time figuring out which I will play first.

OT
Aquanox its nice to see you've found a new home after getting banned from ps3forums, still up to the same stuff though i see :lol

Back on topic. is it going to to be as bad as i think it is to unlock gouken?

mgviperman said:
Haha, you're not alone. I don't know how many times I tried beating Zangief last night before I said screw it.

lol man i don't know its like every time he caught me he got to pull off like 3 pile drivers in a row

MIMIC

Banned
mgviperman said:

Zangief is a really tricky bastard. My strategy is to be fast and quick, vary the projectile speed to keep him at bay and never try to grab him. When he gets close, it's like, "How the fuck did he do that?!" And for people who use that spinning arm thing he goes to dodge projectiles, I jump in deep with a hard kick or a punch.

SFIV is the first time where I'm playing real people but I developed my tactics with him by playing Alpha 3 on the hardest difficulty. IMO, he's tougher than the boss (Bison at the end). Seems as though my tactic works against real live people, too.

LEBRON KING JAMES said:
angry.gif
angry.gif

One tip I can give you is to know the moves of your opponent so you're never surprised at the things they do. You learn to adapt to certain characters.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Raw64life said:
Picked this up on my lunch break. Several painful hours of work remain before I can play it. Also picked up DQV and I'm having a hard time figuring out which I will play first.

I just got mine also, 3 1/2 more painful hours to go. About to read the instruction manual again. (i'm pretty useless at work right now)

CO_Andy

Seems T. Hawk and Dee Jay are likely to appear as downloadable characters, or at least appear in maybe a SF4 sequel.

Anoop Gantayat said:
Everyone's back for Street Fighter IV. Well, almost everyone. Notably missing from the cast are two Super Street Fighter II additions, Dee Jay and T.Hawk. Is there any chance of seeing these two in a future SFIV iteration?

An interview with producer Yoshinori Ono from a recent Famitsu that was posted in full today at Famitsu.com, seems to suggest a big yes.

The magazine asked Ono about the possibility of the two missing fighters following their Super compatriots Cammy and Fei Long and being updated to full 3D form. Ono's response, surprisingly, was that they already have undergone the conversion! The characters have already been developed into to pre-texturing 3D models. For T.Hawk, the developers even went so far as to come up with plans for how the character would fight in SFIV.

Ono didn't specify why the two didn't make the final cut, but all is not lost. Said Ono: "If there's demand from users, we're ready to revive them at any point."
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blogs/anoop/2009/02/18/sfiv_dee_jay_t_hawk_modeling_done/

Xabora

Canti said:
Goddamn this thread has grown 20 pages since I last checked it yesterday evening.

Amazon still hasn't shipped my order! I preordered months ago @%$"(%!

>:
I feel your pain.
Have a pain candy. :(

EDIT:
Amazon changed SFIV to Items shipping soon!

Top Bottom