• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Comes out on Friday here and I'm tempted to get it because SFII was never out of my SNES when I was younger, but is it completely unplayable with the normal 360 controller?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Akim said:
I've been using the Analog since my SE stick broke. I can pull of ultras and fireballs fine, Dragon Punches 75% of the time maybe. It's the long combo/cancel strings I can't do.
This is the next step for me. I learned the stick motions and now it's the combos and cancels. Wish me luck. :(

LowParry

_dementia said:
That's because the command input windows are much more lenient in SFIV

Which is to say, bad in a way. New people spamming buttons left and right and pull off easy uppercut moves.

On a side note: I've never played Akuma in any version of Street Fighter. Since I'll be starting him in IV, am I shoto trash? :lol

Naka

Just got back from walking into a bestbuy and getting the last copy of the CE 360 version. Now if I can only find me a fightpad...

MIMIC

Banned
Losing to a really good Zangief solidifies why I hate that fucker :lol I'm always mystified by how large his grabbing range is. Thank God that he's so slow that when he's doing a super, you can just jump out of the way.

Capcom should edit all of Zangief's moves so whenever he goes to grab you, a message would pop up that would say, "IF you were HERE, he could still grab you!"

Kintaco said:
Finally got the PS3 CE from Best Buy, they seemed to have quite a few in the back. Time to put my name on the SF4 PS3 online thread.

I probably suck so sucky players look me up, I haven't really played since SF2.

PSN: kintaco

Oh man - I just went to go pick one up and they only had 2 PS3 CEs... the one that I bought, and the one that someone had preordered. I asked if they had multiples because my friends are having a hard time locating a PS3 CE... no luck. Maybe it's because it's not a very high-traffic BBY.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
ChrisGoldstein said:
I'd love to use Gief but his moves seem like they require a stick.
Zangief piledriver has alternate inputs like HD Remix.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
ConsumerSquare said:
Yeah, but for some reason I had gotten it in my head that chip damage wouldn't lead to death. Not sure why since HD Remix isn't that way...

it does lead to a Cheese victory, which your opponent cannot deny!

MoxManiac

MIMIC said:
Losing to a really good Zangief solidifies why I hate that fucker :lol I'm always mystified by how large his grabbing range is. Thank God that he's so slow that when he's doing a super, you can just jump out of the way.

Capcom should edit all of Zangief's moves so whenever he goes to grab you, a message would pop up that would say, "IF you were HERE, he could still grab you!"

The range was larger in HD Remix! There, Gief's jap/strong SPD range is 140...to compare, Ryu's regular throw range is 77.

RobbieNick

Is it just me, or does DIMPS have a thing for creating (or co-creating) mothers with neck ties?

hw0aap.jpg
2djclxu.png

Neck ties. They're not just for men anymore.:lol

Zapages

I finally got it!!! Luckily the guy that was helping at the best buy, called another best buy and they kept a copy of the PS3 CE for me in the back until I got there... Awesomeness all around!

I will be playing it next week you guys. :)

Cerrius said:
Don't have the game yet, can someone comment on the soundtrack of SFIV?

How does it hold up when compared to SFII, Third Strike, etc. etc.?

I personally love the soundtrack of 4 - especially the remixed versions of classic SF tunes. I like the announcer of 3S more, though.... I still have "yeah, that makes sense!" stuck in my head to this day.

Akim

Banned
This game creates friction between friends...

I kept losing online and I was in a private chat with my buddy. He was winning a lot with zangief. I was telling him that if he was playing the people I was playing he'd be losing too. He didn't agree so I invited him to a player match. I basically zoned him the whole game with sagat.

He got mad and pulled out the old "WOW GRATS DOING ONE MOVE YOUR BUTTHURT YOU CAN'T WIN ONLINE." That lead me to say "NO BUT YOUR BUTT WAS HURT AFTER THAT FUCK YOU"

I haven't talked to him since...

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Woot HUGE system error at my office all phones and computers are down and everyone was sent home EARLY!!

Time for Street Fighter IV!!!!!!:D :D :D

Zachack

Baloonatic said:
Comes out on Friday here and I'm tempted to get it because SFII was never out of my SNES when I was younger, but is it completely unplayable with the normal 360 controller?
All I have is the standard wired pad and I can get to Seth on Normal with Ryu/Ken and bring him down to a sliver. Will try online tonight. Some things are easier than others and I know a pad with 6 face buttons would be much better.

Note that I used the screwdriver method to improve the d-pad.

MIMIC

Banned
Akim said:

I kept losing online and I was in a private chat with my buddy. He was winning a lot with zangief. I was telling him that if he was playing the people I was playing he'd be losing too. He didn't agree so I invited him to a player match. I basically zoned him the whole game with sagat.

He got mad and pulled out the old "WOW GRATS DOING ONE MOVE YOUR BUTTHURT YOU CAN'T WIN ONLINE." That lead me to say "NO BUT YOUR BUTT WAS HURT AFTER THAT FUCK YOU"

Were you guys even friends to begin with? :lol

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Halvie said:
What are everyone's opinions on the game mechanics? Better or worse than ST/Remix?

It's still too early for definitive statements especially in regards to the intricacies of FACD and the combos possible from it. For myself, I can only say that pure 2D is still where it's at.

ph15h

Neo Member
SWEEEEET... the First Playstation 3 game I bought that had Full Screen Support. :D No More Hurting my eyes when I game in my room.

Install isn't that big.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
_dementia said:
That's because the command input windows are much more lenient in SFIV

At what point does Capcom stop doing this do you think? I ask because 3rd Strike was also very lenient, esp. with charging.

RobbieNick

Akim said:

Wait, you actually said "Butthurt"?!! You use that often?:lol

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
bob_arctor said:
At what point does Capcom stop doing this do you think? I ask because 3rd Strike was also very lenient, esp. with charging.

so I wasn't just getting better? :(

PhatSaqs

Banned
ChrisGoldstein said:
I'd love to use Gief but his moves seem like they require a stick.
Gief is borderline easymode in this game IMO. Especially compared to his previous incarnations. He's very damn good in SF4.

diffusionx

Gold Member
bob_arctor said:

I guess they have this mistaken belief that if they slop it up enough then "casuals" will go back to the game and keep it humming. The thing is, once people start mastering FADC and such, button mashers will be scared away just as they were for parries. Maybe SF4 will teach them this.

bob_arctor said:

I recall Ono saying he studied the SNES version of WW to figure out what made it so popular and he discovered that the inputs were made a lot easier as opposed to the arcade. So the home version of SF 4 actually has bigger windows then the arcade.

ChrisGoldstein said:
haha I just got off too

See yall online!

The worst part is I told my coworkers I picked it up during lunch so noone would buy any BS excuse I might come up with to leave early. My enthusiasm was my undoing. =(

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
PhatSaqs said:
Gief is borderline easymode in this game IMO. Especially compared to his previous incarnations. He's very damn good in SF4.

I hope T. Hawk comes back to have 2 giant bad-asses running the show. Finally. No more backseat, shotos! You hear me!?? NO MORE BACCCKKK SEEEAATTT!!!

*crosses fingers for Hugo appearance*

ph15h

Neo Member
Hopefully I remember to go to class. I've been playing for a few hours already and already missed Anthropology :D

-_- I'm not really liking playing as Ken this time around. Guess it's time to pick a new character...

slayn

needs to show more effort.
played some fun matches against dfyb
gief continues to scare me in every game he's in

I find I use focus attacks... never. I think most people just aren't used to using them yet. No one I've played online uses them either. In about 10 matches maybe someone will throw one out, and then you can tell the other person is all like, "oh yeah, I can do that." and then you'll both use it a few times and then give up and never use it for the rest of the matches.

I feel like I need just one more face button on the dual shock controller to be dedicated to focus attack.

MoxManiac

PhatSaqs said:

And I say it's about damn time! Gief's always had to settle for mid to bottom status. BUT NO LONGER!

Akim

Banned
PhatSaqs said:

Yeah..he's pretty good. I swear I get SPD'd in between light kicks and from half way across the screen. I guess you just spin your stick in circles and mash punch.

Zeliard

bob_arctor said:

Is it that big a deal? The differences between players in a game like Street Fighter IV should ideally have a lot more to do with tactics and timing, as well as matchups, rather than pure dexterity. That's why the best SF matches are between people who can pull off moves without worrying that they'll screw up the command, which also has the effect of giving them a much more versatile toolset to work with.

Widen the input windows and that's no longer as much of an obstacle to newcomers and even some veterans, particularly without a stick, and players can concentrate more on when and where to pull off a certain move rather than wondering if they'll pull it off at all.

Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
I recall Ono saying he studied the SNES version of WW to figure out what made it so popular and he discovered that the inputs were made a lot easier as opposed to the arcade. So the home version of SF 4 actually has bigger windows then the arcade.
wow.

is there any way to set it back to arcade rules for tournament play and such?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
has this game inspired anyone to start hitting the gym again?

the into is so fucking powerful. i want to punch rock into dust

They can't widen the inputs too much, or a Hadoken will come out every time you've ducked the last few minutes and then walk forward and punch.

I've had my first few online battles, first a couple of player matches where I was evenly matched and then a bunch of ranked while unlocking the rest of the characters. I'm picking Fei-Long since I'm good enough with him, don't want to be a Ken scrub and since people don't seem to know his game yet. Chicken Wing gets them every time.

Unlocked Dan now though, so he'll be next!

Top Bottom