• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Finally got a chance to start playing Arcade mode with this. Holy shit, Seth is cheap is hell. Also, was anyone else annoyed that Yun and Yang were in Chun-li's opening cut scene? It's like Capcom is teasing us.:lol

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Son of Godzilla said:
Yea, I edited it. Or maybe I double edited it. I'd have to play the game to remember which, but I've never hated my controller more. It's definitely too loose for my taste.

you FACD'd my reply!

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Feral Youth said:
Anyone else having disconnection issues with live?

People keep think I'm quiting because I'm losing.

Nah I have been playing perfectly fine for the past 5 hours

Manager said:
I'm trying to do a shinryuken and Ken only do a Shoryureppa, what am I doing wrong? Too slow punching PPP? Trial mode so the gauge is filled.

(Sorry if this has been asked before, couldn't find it)

PPP = all three punch buttons at one time. You're doing that, right? If you're using a pad I'd map that to a single button.

Mileena

Banned
FootNinja said:
Buying this in a few minutes, and I plan on maining claw. PSN
You're going to be switching your main very soon. I planned on maining Vega and was so disappointed. Flat out; he's terrible.

Xater

Keru_Shiri said:
Finally got a chance to start playing Arcade mode with this. Holy shit, Seth is cheap is hell. Also, was anyone else annoyed that Yun and Yang were in Chun-li's opening cut scene? It's like Capcom is teasing us.:lol

Adon also appears in a cutscene.

Manager

DigitalA1chemy said:
PPP = all three punch buttons at one time. You're doing that, right? If you're using a pad I'd map that to a single button.

Oh, I see, thanks a lot! I guess I could, not sure what I should sub it for. L1 maybe, seems to be the same punch as R1.

You mean Low punch Square, Medium punch /\ and Heavy punch R1?

So sick of playing against Ryu\Ken playings. So boring, so I just DC against them now since it doesn't count as a lost or take away BP. F you ryu\ken, so boring.

dralla

Hows the lag on the PS3 version? I played about 50 games online with the 360, only saw 2 instances of lag, is it as smooth on the PS3? I can't take playing with the 360 controller so I'm considering exchanging it

Volcynika

dralla said:
Hows the lag on the PS3 version? I played about 50 games online with the 360, only saw 2 instances of lag, is it as smooth on the PS3? I can't take playing with the 360 controller so I'm considering exchanging it

I've only had maybe 3 instances of lag on the matches I've played. Majority of matches are smooth for me.

Keru_Shiri said:

Cheap yes, especially when he is right next to you, his throw is a pain, Zangief is just as cheap in my opinion. And fuck unlocking Akuma, Seth and the other dude. Can't be arsed with all that shit. Completely idiotic have to unlock them in such a fashion.

DigitalA1chemy said:
L1's default is PPP I think. And just like every other capcom game it's terrible and you are better off contorting your hand into hitting all 3 punch buttons.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Son of Godzilla said:
My ass.

DoA is accessible to casuals. This game is not.

Although I will say that this game is more accessible than any Street Fighter since whatever version of 2 you want to choose.

And input command is forgiving to a fault. Never in my life have I tried to throw a fireball and done fucking dragon punch before this game.
I disagree about DoA4, because the counter system in that game allows for some really one sided beat downs, and characters still have long move lists without much help from the game on when to use them. I think even VF is more casual friendly than DoA, because the normal moves and a good grasp on the basics are often good enough to win a fight.

bill0527

Hey guys, quick question that I hope doesn't devolve into system wars.

I've got the 360 and a PS3 and not sure which version to get.

I did pick up the PS3 version at Wal-Mart a little while ago, but I can always take it back and exchange it as I haven't opened it yet.

I bought SSII HD Remix on Live and hated playing it with the 360 controller. It was functional, but not always responsive enough for my tastes.

For SFIV I'm not buying an arcade stick or a special pad for this game. I'm not going to be a pro at it, and I'm not looking to rule the online world. I just want something I can pick up and play, play with friends at the house, and get decent at it. I'm not investing $200 in this game and accessories to give me the upper edge against faceless people online. So with that out of the way, is the PS3 controller preferable over the 360 controller? Or do both equally suck?

levious

Manager said:
Oh, I see, thanks a lot! I guess I could, not sure what I should sub it for. L1 maybe, seems to be the same punch as R1.

should already be mapped to a trigger by default. Bring up your pause menu and check the button configuration.

iMike76

Banned
Madcatz.com is saying that the TE fightstick will be available in April '09. I've got the Hori EX for the 360, but would like something better quality. Any recommendations?

SapientWolf said:
The game is still very accessible to casuals. Compare the move lists in SFIV to the ones in Tekken or Virtua Fighter. The default difficulty is just hard as balls. People are going to have to take the hit to their pride and take it down a notch or two. Remember, this is the company that made Devil May Cry.
At least tekken gives you a move list with combos, not just special moves and throws. And beside the 10 strings, combos are a lot easier to pull off in tekken, as far as i can tell (havent played SF4 much yet). Special move input might be a little pickier in tekken tho, i agree on that at least.
That being said, as a semi-casual player, i honestly feel tekken and VF are a lot more welcoming than SF4. Most anyone can pick up a leifei or a pai and start kickin (some) ass in no time. I don't see that in SF4. But then again, haven't played much, so i'm speculating to some extent.

Also, the gf, who's as casual as they come, did tell me that my new game is awesome and super fun, based on a cple of games she played (w/ el fuerte). So, hey... what do i know...

levious

bill0527 said:
So with that out of the way, is the PS3 controller preferable over the 360 controller? Or do both equally suck?

I would say, if you plan on playing charge characters, go with 360, otherwise, PS3.

Fistwell,

Combo instructions can be found in the Trials in Challenge Mode. As for ease of combos, well as far as I know, dial-a-combos have never been part of street fighter games.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
ConsumerSquare said:
Help!

I was playing against a Zangief, and every time I would wake he'd nail me with a fully charged Focus Attack. What are my options? With Blanka (or Honda, I forget which) I was able to dash out of it, but not once was I able to get Vega out. Spam lariat -> focus attack -> focus attack -> focus attack -> match over.
first things first, learn to tech when you land. I'm not entirely sure what the command is myself, but I usually tap down->up right as I land and that works for me. This allowed you to stand up instantly when falling down instead of laying there and giving him time to walk over.

Second, every character has an armor break attack. For vega, this is scarlet terror. If you do this move right as you get up, it will be a reversal (reversal appears on screen) and your character begin attacking immediately. Because of its armor breaking properties, it should stuff the focus attack.

Finally, vega has this backflip that basically makes him invinceable. I would guess you could do that as you get up to completely dodge it.

edit:
I keep forgetting to refresh the thread before replying =(

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Fistwell said:
Nah, once i got over the perceived stiffness of motion (which was just me re-adapting to a fighting game in 2D as opposed to 3D), easiest wasn't much of a challenge. I can also wrap my head around the FADC cancelling to chain stuff up (altho i cant quite wrap my fingers around it consistently yet).
What's more difficult is just figuring out plain old stupid combos. Checked out the challenge section for some pointers, but it's not super encouraging. I seriously wish they'd just give you a list. E.g., how was i supposed to know that i could combo viper's crouching medium kick into one of em electric dash fist moves?

It's stuff i'd like to know. Other games give it to you, in the character's move list (as opposed to only listing specials). Feels like obscurity for obscurity's sake.

If you're referring to 3D fighters that have tons of strings listed in their move lists, those are not the same thing as a Street Fighter style game. Tekken and VF have essentially pre-programmed strings that incorporate some stand-alone attacks. They give you massive, detailed move charts because it would be nigh impossible to discover many of those particular command input sequences just by experimenting.

Not to sound mean, but in Street Fighter, it's your job to figure it out because it works different and is more free-form. There are not a billion different command inputs, just a handful of specials and one general standard move per button. Go into the training mode and just try them out! See which standard attacks allow you to two-in-one a special off them or have a built-in chain with another standard attack (Target Combo / Chain Attack). It doesn't take long.

iMike76 said:
Madcatz.com is saying that the TE fightstick will be available in April '09. I've got the Hori EX for the 360, but would like something better quality. Any recommendations?

Pop open the HRAP EX and replace the buttons.

Jirotrom

bill0527 said:
Hey guys, quick question that I hope doesn't devolve into system wars.

I've got the 360 and a PS3 and not sure which version to get.

I did pick up the PS3 version at Wal-Mart a little while ago, but I can always take it back and exchange it as I haven't opened it yet.

I bought SSII HD Remix on Live and hated playing it with the 360 controller. It was functional, but not always responsive enough for my tastes.

For SFIV I'm not buying an arcade stick or a special pad for this game. I'm not going to be a pro at it, and I'm not looking to rule the online world. I just want something I can pick up and play, play with friends at the house, and get decent at it. I'm not investing $200 in this game and accessories to give me the upper edge against faceless people online. So with that out of the way, is the PS3 controller preferable over the 360 controller? Or do both equally suck?
get the ps3 version i have the 360 version but i have a stick.

SapientWolf said:
I disagree about DoA4, because the counter system in that game allows for some really one sided beat downs, and characters still have long move lists without much help from the game on when to use them. I think even VF is more casual friendly than DoA, because the normal moves and a good grasp on the basics are often good enough to win a fight.
Really? I thought the counter system was really intuitive, outside a few character's inability to advertise high/low correctly and some lame sit-on-your-ass-waiting-for-the-animations-to-finish combos.

If it counts for anything, I've never gotten closer to throwing my 360 controller out the fucking window before this game.

Although there seems to be growing concern that online PS3 is nothing but a ryu/ken fest. I think the idea is insane, but truthfully Ryu/Ken has been sub-10% of the games I've played on the 360. Then again, you probably don't even care.

Manager said:
You mean Low punch Square, Medium punch /\ and Heavy punch R1?

Yeah Low Punch + Medium Punch + Heavy Punch simultaneously. I have it on 360, but the one time I played it on the Dual Shock 3 I had low punch/kick and heavy punch/kick as face buttons, L1/L2 as medium punch/kick and R1/R2 as PPP and KKK for doing ultras. But whatever works best for you.

ph15h

Neo Member
Fuckin' sweet. My first round where I got an Ultra Combo finish AND a perfect :D

-_- Focus attacking everything and letting your health recharge is a bitch. Especially when you try to build up your Revenge meter.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
People actually fell for the "accessable for new players" or whatever BS Capcom spewed out during the announcement for this title? Everyone should have seen through that. It's an accessable as any other SF titles. You can jump in, play around, learn some special moves quickly and have fun. Then, if you want, dive into the dark waters of the advanced play at your peril.

No one to blame but yourself if you fall for the marketing speak.

MIMIC

Banned
I'm not really liking how the opponent has the ability to do stuff while the other one is performing their Ultra.

My opponent was falling to the ground and I started the Ultra....next thing I know I get dragon punched in the face >_<

Oh well...1535 BP now :D

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Didn't capcom never actually say they were going after casuals? I thought their message from the very beginning was to go after all the SF2 players that had since left and bring them back in and being more accessible to them. Not to casuals in general.

I thought the whole casual angle was something that got made up by fans/media

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
corkscrewblow said:
You're going to be switching your main very soon. I planned on maining Vega and was so disappointed. Flat out; he's terrible.
I will make him a force to be reckoned with (or at least be able to hold my own.) It isn't all about winning instantly, Its about skill/style. ;)

MIMIC

Banned
levious said:
MIMIC,

but then you wouldn't be able to jump over projectile ultras...

True :lol

Ryu's ultra misses me 90% of the time. Same with Akuma.

OK...nevermind. Thank God you can do stuff while Ultras are being performed :D

Just got my CE copy from Amazon.com; kinda pissed at myself for ordering from them, I could've walked into Best Buy Wednesday night and picked one up off the shelf. But anyway... IT'S HERE!!!

I'm on my lunch break though, so I've gotta go back to work before I can play. :(

Dartastic

"Sending data... Unable to play. Search again? Sending data... Unable to join because the game is already full. Search again? Sending data...Unable to play. Search again? Sending data... Unable to join because the game is already full. Search again? Sending data...Unable to play. Search again? Sending data... Unable to join because the game is already full. Search again? Sending data...Unable to play. Search again? Sending data... Unable to join because the game is already full. Search again? Sending data...Unable to play. Search again? Sending data... Unable to join because the game is already full. Search again? Sending data..."

FIX THIS

Kaijima said:
If you're referring to 3D fighters ... They give you massive, detailed move charts because it would be nigh impossible to discover many of those particular command input sequences just by experimenting.

Not to sound mean, but in Street Fighter, it's your job to figure it out because it works different and is more free-form. There are not a billion different command inputs, just a handful of specials and one general standard move per button. Go into the training mode and just try them out! See which standard attacks allow you to two-in-one a special off them or have a built-in chain with another standard attack (Target Combo / Chain Attack). It doesn't take long.
Yet picking up a new tekken/VF/DOA, i can figure out a bunch of these strings in a cple of arcade playthrough by experimenting. I've only tried a little bit in SF4, but i haven't been anywhere near as succesful. I'm telling myself it's maybe a question of timing, and that i'll get it down eventually.
And you don't sound mean. The input's appreciated.

Barrett2

MIMIC said:
I'm not really liking how the opponent has the ability to do stuff while the other one is performing their Ultra.

My opponent was falling to the ground and I started the Ultra....next thing I know I get dragon punched in the face >_<

Sagat was jumping over my Ultra fireball last night like it was a freaking jumprope. I guess I need to learn to combo into an ultra, but I need more practice.

Arhal_Katarn

I really wanna love this game but the shitty d pad on the 360 is killing it for me, seriously i would be better off waggling my cock around in front of the screen then playing with that piece of junk.
I tried to get a fightpad last week but they have been very hard to find in the UK and i hear that there is no more stock till April. Why the fuck can't MS make a decent fucking d pad, i reckon a master system d pad would do the job better.

Dartastic said:
"Sending data... Unable to play. Search again? Sending data... Unable to join because the game is already full. Search again? Sending data...Unable to play. Search again? Sending data... Unable to join because the game is already full. Search again? Sending data...Unable to play. Search again? Sending data... Unable to join because the game is already full. Search again? Sending data...Unable to play. Search again? Sending data... Unable to join because the game is already full. Search again? Sending data...Unable to play. Search again? Sending data... Unable to join because the game is already full. Search again? Sending data..."

FIX THIS

Are you sure you are trying to join games that are in the lobby and not already in a match? Also just host, thats what I do and haven't had to wait more than 20 seconds before someone joins.

Spike Spiegel said:
Just got my CE copy from Amazon.com; kinda pissed at myself for ordering from them, I could've walked into Best Buy Wednesday night and picked one up off the shelf. But anyway... IT'S HERE!!!

I'm on my lunch break though, so I've gotta go back to work before I can play. :(

WHERE DO YOU LIVE!?! Amazon says exstimnated delivery is 2/25......I got two day shipping.....I hate myself for ordering from them. I was thinkiing that I could wait plus I have some school work to get done...but noooooo I can't wait anymore...damn you amazon

Dartastic said:

FIX THIS
You have to work around this. You need to change the search settings to all "Any", then it'll search quickly.

Then opt to choose matches towards the bottom because they're more likely to be empty.

browndoom

Dartastic said:

FIX THIS

Just start an arcade game with online request matches on and I gaurentee you'll get matches non stop.

Phthisis

FootNinja said:
I will make him a force to be reckoned with (or at least be able to hold my own.) It isn't all about winning instantly, Its about skill/style. ;)

Master the down-forward + fierce kick into EX wall dive combo. That is no joke. Three of those and your opponent will be dead or almost dead.

Gagaman

By 'causal' I meant more like SF2 than 3, but for me this is more brutal than both of those so far. :lol Some of the moves I could pull of easily with Chun Li in the other games seem a bit trickier here.

Only have a pretty sub-par stick at the moment though, and don't really want to folk out a small fortune for a good one. Any good saturn/Dreamcast to PS3 USB adapters out there?

Top Bottom