• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Phthisis

Some Abel tips:

-His Ultra can go through fireballs. Punish people who fireball as you wake up. Will take them by surprise.

-EX Change of Direction can take a hit. This is especially useful if your opponent is fireball spamming from medium distance, or if you're in a poke war.

-EX wheel kick is probably Abel's best move. It will go through fireballs, and if used at the right time, will do two hits for massive damage.

-If you're going to roll, make sure you mix up the distances.

-EX command throw on wakeup has insane priority. Use it to back off opponents standing by your body while you're down.

-If you can get crouching fierce punch (launcher) off on your opponent, it opens up a variety of options, including Ultra combo as they fall, overhead wheel kick, and air grab (among others; you can also crouching fierce to launch, then roll with light kick, then air grab. Tricky, though. You could also do the same thing but instead of air grab, you could crouching fierce again to get in another hit). I recommend practicing this at length; the timing is slightly different for each one.

Abel's all about the EX. His super isn't that great, so use that super bar whenever you can. Once you get the pressure on, make sure you mix it up. Jump in medium kick --> crouching medium kick --> Change of Direction is a good combo. You can also combo CoD out of standing fierce punch.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Raging Spaniard said:
I think what youre doing is the right thing to do btw, when that Fuerte clicks, youre gonna be making some serious damage.

Some fights, and not talking about those who just started playing the game, everything just clicks and he feels like he's just toying with the other person in some crazy Lucha dance. I beat a guy with 2k BP who had a mic who was screaming "WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" when I got a perfect and a near-perfect off him. :lol

is it me or does Blanka look more and more like Sonic the Werehog? When you hold done his Super ground shave rolling into place..lol...... Sonic Spin Dash

Struct09

I finally finished unlocking the characters today, and I'm convinced that Seth's AI difficulty gets bugged from time to time. Of course to save time I went through arcade mode with all the characters on easiest, but there were a few times where Seth was blocking nearly every move and using his Ultra whenever he got a chance.

I know I saw it with both Gen and Dhalsim. I got to Seth and could barely even touch him. Both times I quit out to the main menu, and restarted. After working my way up to him I easily took him out, even getting a perfect against Seth when playing as Gen the second time.

Just a heads up for anyone who notices Seth on easiest blocking every move and constantly using his (cheap ass) Ultra.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Story wise (this stuff ineterests me, sorry :lol ) I think Seth is obviously inspired by the Original SF Movie (the anime) Those cyborgs Shadoloo had going around the world collecting data have many similarities to Seth look wise and it just seems like Seth is the practical implementation + flair that an actual character needs to have. Specially considering how the game explains that
Bison created Seth anyways, and that there are several more of him around

What other characters have good antiair? I think the reason I keep going back to shotos is their shoryuken, so maybe somebody like Rose or Cammy would be right up my alley, love them fireballs though...

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
haunts said:
press down foward 2x and punch and you'll get a DP

Thats been the case for a long time (Alpha, III and so on), If I had a penny for how many times Ive done a shoryuken when I meant to do a super ....

tribal24

Banned
Phthisis said:
Some Abel tips:

-His Ultra can go through fireballs. Punish people who fireball as you wake up. Will take them by surprise.

-EX Change of Direction can take a hit. This is especially useful if your opponent is fireball spamming from medium distance, or if you're in a poke war.

-EX wheel kick is probably Abel's best move. It will go through fireballs, and if used at the right time, will do two hits for massive damage.

-If you're going to roll, make sure you mix up the distances.

-EX command throw on wakeup has insane priority. Use it to back off opponents standing by your body while you're down.

-If you can get crouching fierce punch (launcher) off on your opponent, it opens up a variety of options, including Ultra combo as they fall, overhead wheel kick, and air grab (among others; you can also crouching fierce to launch, then roll with light kick, then air grab. Tricky, though. You could also do the same thing but instead of air grab, you could crouching fierce again to get in another hit). I recommend practicing this at length; the timing is slightly different for each one.

Abel's all about the EX. His super isn't that great, so use that super bar whenever you can. Once you get the pressure on, make sure you mix it up. Jump in medium kick --> crouching medium kick --> Change of Direction is a good combo. You can also combo CoD out of standing fierce punch.

thanks for this i wanna play with abel but everytime i try i seem to fail lol these tips are great gonna practice him

Rotanibor

Challenge mode is starting to annoy me. I just lost a time attack stage by 1 second. One second longer and I would have finished it.:lol

Raging Spaniard said:
Story wise (this stuff ineterests me, sorry :lol ) I think Seth is obviously inspired by the Original SF Movie (the anime) Those cyborgs Shadoloo had going around the world collecting data have many similarities to Seth look wise and it just seems like Seth is the practical implementation + flair that an actual character needs to have. Specially considering how the game explains that
Bison created Seth anyways, and that there are several more of him around

I personally think the story is stupid... SF3 had a retarded storyline too.

Story has never been the strong suit of Capcom...

Mortal Kombat and SNK are better in this regard (well...SNK).

Ono seems to hate the SF Cannon and decided to bend it to the way he sees fit. I mean...Gouken...Bison...

And the character's motivation for being in the tournament seems so vapid or not fleshed out. And Seth serves another purpose... Think Bison...Cammy...Rose...yadda, yadda...

Has anyone watched the Ties That Bind...does it flesh out the story anymore?

And you guys have me so excited...since I've yet to play an online match. Abel looks like an interesting character. I'd like to see more on his pokes. Justin seemed to do several jabs and what not then dashed up to his opponent afterward.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Spiderjericho said:
Ono seems to hate the SF Cannon and decided to bend it to the way he sees fit. I mean...Gouken...Bison...
2133uck.jpg

Boom!

Raging Spaniard said:
Thats been the case for a long time (Alpha, III and so on), If I had a penny for how many times Ive done a shoryuken when I meant to do a super ....
I knew this was the case for the PSP's Zero 3 Double Upper/Alpha 3 Max but its that way in SFIII too?

Mind blown.

Rotanibor

Spiderjericho said:
Try playing survival...

Actually decided to just stop being dumb and do it with Zangief. Did it with time to spare this time. :lol

I didn't think the story in this was TOO bad considering its a fighting game. The official explaination on why Gouken was still alive was pretty funny though.

Raging Spaniard

Spiderjericho said:
I personally think the story is stupid... SF3 had a retarded storyline too.

Story has never been the strong suit of Capcom...

Mortal Kombat and SNK are better in this regard (well...SNK).

And the character's motivation for being in the tournament seems so vapid or not fleshed out. And Seth serves another purpose... Think Bison...Cammy...Rose...yadda, yadda...

Has anyone watched the Ties That Bind...does it flesh out the story anymore?

I disagree, Capcom plays it simple and doesnt get too caught up in details like SNK does, the whole Gouken and Bison stuff is fine, this is a game were living in the jungle turns you into a green monster for gods sake

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
a friend told me i should milk the crumple in successful focus attacks for more damage besides the usual heavy kick.

with viper, what moves could i use apart from my ult?

Raging Spaniard said:

really? I never had problems pulling off a super in any Alpha or III game, but SF4 I am either doing regular or EX shoryukens when I'm trying to do ultra/super

Momar

aka Ryder
I think the MyCheats page is a little off... I beat the game with all the default characters, still no Seth selectable. Also, I fought Akuma, and alas, he is also still not selectable. Wtf doods :(

Also, the SF4 gamertag for xbox live is full on friends, people add me! I want to play you! GT: Momar2099

GOGOGOGO LETS FIGHT LETS FIGHT

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Linkzg said:
really? I never had problems pulling off a super in any Alpha or III game, but SF4 I am either doing regular or EX shoryukens when I'm trying to do ultra/super

Same here and its very annoying. I wish my arcade stick would hurry up and get here.

Phthisis

Zapperkhan said:
40 games in and i broke 100 bp wooooo! I think I'm the only playing rose :(

Nope, I am! Was using Ken, but too many people online know how to beat shotos because everyone uses them. Rose has a lot of the same combo patterns as Ken, so it's real easy to adapt to her. A couple pages back I posted some combos of hers that I think are really good.

And you guys have me so excited...since I've yet to play an online match. Abel looks like an interesting character. I'd like to see more on his pokes. Justin seemed to do several jabs and what not then dashed up to his opponent afterward.

Abel is fun. It can get tough if you go up against someone who knows how to zone you out, but otherwise, people have a tough time getting a handle on him.

RE: the dash thing

Within a certain distance, you can do forward + medium kick and then immediately dash afterwards, as if you had done a focus attack. Pretty useful for closing space.

jmonteiro

haunts said:
press down foward 2x and punch and you'll get a DP

That is an awesome tip, thank you.

I actually have no problems with DP but I do have problems pulling a QCF, QCF+P for supers and ultras. I can do it about 50% of the time facing left but facing right I can't do it at all.

Any simplified commands for the QCF? It freaking blows. This game is hard :(

starting to get decent with sagat. won 3 matches in a row earlier, which after my 2 wins in 20 tries was really satisfying. Must say, im really anoyed i cant do the fake kick in the challenge. i remapped the controler to do 2 HK and it still didnt work. Dont really know how to do combos and cancels etc so would like to move past that one!

Well i think capcom has hit some gold with this game. I haven't been too into SF since SF2 Turbo back in the game. Sure i'd pick up an alpha game or two but nothing i played was too serious.

I got the game today, put it in and i've logged an entire evening in the game! I think they managed to have enough of that SF2 "feel" but also enough new to make it a nice way back into the series for people like me.

I've been unlocking some characters and even though i RARELY play games online started playing this game online. Yes i'm the total noob cliche. I play Ken (quite poorly) and after loosing like my first 5 matches :lol I finally strung together a couple wins! I'm quite proud to actually have more than 100 BP!!

I know compared to most in this thread that's nothing, but i've NEVER been all to good at fighting games (lack the reaction & hand/eye coordination). So the fact i can win here or there is a big achievement for me :p

Xevren

I got the achievement for beating the normal trials in challenge mode, im pretty happy about that. I have a couple characters done in hard, but some are going to be pretty damn dificult.

MGrant

I broke 1000 tonight, then starting making stupid mistakes, so decided to quit. I just about have scrotos down to a science with Rose, though. I looooove seeing whiffed shoryukens. Love it.

-COOLIO- said:
a friend told me i should milk the crumple in successful focus attacks for more damage besides the usual heavy kick.

with viper, what moves could i use apart from my ult?
umm....all of them?

master the super jump cancel.

master the flaming kick after super jump cancel.

master and understand the differences between the 4 different flaming kicks.

grow comfortable with ex seismo punch + superjump cancel + flaming kick. it's a staple.

get good measuring her 4 different siesmo punches. they deal great damage and are often unexpected. can only be blocked low.

depending on who you fight, thunder knuckle (tk) is good for closing distances and pressuring.

thunder knuckle goes under all projectiles except Sagat's low tiger. usse it.

get good with seismo and tk cancels. it will be the start of you learning to play the mind game that is Street Fighter.

fierce jumping flaming kick is good for crossing up opponents (starting on one side, ending up on the other). exploit it.

fierce TK is a good starter for super or ultra.

don't try to land ultra on jump-ins. they often wif, and you'll be punished.

watch some YouTube videos of people who use Viper.

start conditioning your fingers for speed using the trials. if you can get through the hard trials more than once, you'll be well on your way to using Viper very effectively. she's hard to use.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Dreams-Visions said:
umm....all of them?

master the super jump cancel.

master the flaming kick after super jump cancel.

master and understand the differences between the 4 different flaming kicks.

grow comfortable with ex seismo punch + superjump cancel + flaming kick. it's a staple.

get good measuring her 4 different siesmo punches. they deal great damage and are often unexpected. can only be blocked low.

depending on who you fight, thunder knuckle (tk) is good for closing distances and pressuring.

thunder knuckle goes under all projectiles except Sagat's low tiger. usse it.

get good with seismo and tk cancels. it will be the start of you learning to play the mind game that is Street Fighter.

fierce jumping flaming kick is good for crossing up opponents (starting on one side, ending up on the other). exploit it.

fierce TK is a good starter for super or ultra.

don't try to land ultra on jump-ins. they often wif, and you'll be punished.

watch some YouTube videos of people who use Viper.

start conditioning your fingers for speed using the trials. if you can get through the hard trials more than once, you'll be well on your way to using Viper very effectively. she's hard to use.

:O

Phthisis

APerfectCircle said:
starting to get decent with sagat. won 3 matches in a row earlier, which after my 2 wins in 20 tries was really satisfying. Must say, im really anoyed i cant do the fake kick in the challenge. i remapped the controler to do 2 HK and it still didnt work. Dont really know how to do combos and cancels etc so would like to move past that one!

I ended up just mashing hard kick really fast, using my index and middle finger alternately. That was on a stick though. I'm convinced the Sagat fake kick is almost impossible on a controller because the buttons don't spring back in time.

My BP was over 2000, but I finally got beat. My win ratio is now 74-75%. I feel that I am really getting a good feel for this game. I am pretty comfortable with the old cast, but I still am learning the basics of the new cast. M Bison is a legitimate monster folks. Don't underestimate him. He helped me get some trophies tonight. :lol

Does the difficulty matter when trying to unlock Gouken? I got 2 perfects and 3 ultra combo finishers in the arcade mode and Akuma only came out. I already finished the game with Akuma also. Am I doing something wrong?

Rhazer Fusion said:
My BP was over 2000, but I finally got beat. My win ratio is now 74-75%. I feel that I am really getting a good feel for this game. I am pretty comfortable with the old cast, but I still am learning the basics of the new cast. M Bison is a legitimate monster folks. Don't underestimate him. He helped me get some trophies tonight. :lol

Does the difficulty matter when trying to unlock Gouken? I got 2 perfects and 3 ultra combo finishers in the arcade mode and Akuma only came out. I already finished the game with Akuma also. Am I doing something wrong?
difficulty does not matter.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Dreams-Visions said:
yea, dogg.

input speed is the name of her game. here are some examples of effective Viper play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojo54padEw0

those times where she flashes and just keeps walking? all fakes (canceled seismo's)

you'll get the idea. and getting the execution will come with time.

I'd say an arcade stick is a must to master her...but I've not tried her with a d-pad, so I'm not 100% sure.
:(

I can't do any freaking damn shoto type moves or QCF or QCB moves on the stupid TE stick..

Is it this Square Gate?? I wonder if I should order the Octagonal one.

ugh.. its driving me crazy.

Thank god I got that Mad Catz fight pad today. I've been beasting with Feurte on it since this afternoon.

People have no idea what to do against him.

I also played someone from GAF today who was an ace with Dhalsim.. Mastered his teleport and dashing in and throwing. He was really good.

Had to pull out my Vega to consistently beat him :p Though I did win with Feurte once.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I can't do any freaking damn shoto type moves or QCF or QCB moves on the stupid TE stick..

Is it this Square Gate?? I wonder if I should order the Octagonal one.

ugh.. its driving me crazy.

Thank god I got that Mad Catz fight pad today. I've been beasting with Feurte on it since this afternoon.

People have no idea what to do against him.

I also played someone from GAF today who was an ace with Dhalsim.. Mastered his teleport and dashing in and throwing. He was really good.

Had to pull out my Vega to consistently beat him :p Though I did win with Feurte once.
practice!

sticks take some getting used to if you haven't used one in awhile...no matter how good the stick.

-COOLIO- said:
does the shoryuken have priority over everything?
not sure. I rarely use the shotos to know. but blocking it for good punishment is my preference. I love baiting the shoryuken because it's so exploitable. especially Ken's.

DiddyBop

i have a custom stick and i couldn't use a square gate to save my life,lucky thing my seimitsu joystick came with an adjustable gate. i honestly could not pull of a hadoken or anything with a square gate,i have no idea how ppl use it:lol

Tokubetsu

This has never happened to me before but I felt like others might want to try it. I play on my monitor and it can only support 1080i on my 360. Well I tried playing this in 720p and the game not only feels better but looks a LOT better as well. The feeling better part might just be in my head and the progressive aspect but i know it looks a whole helluva lot better.

dfyb said:
so how are icons unlocked? just online play? BP requirements?

I mostly kept playing online and they keep unlocking as I won. Also, challenges unlock icons if I remember correctly. It might have something to do with BP requirements also because it seems like they unlocked when my BP increased. I am assuming that there are requirements to make them unlock.

Top Bottom