• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

jdub03

Jirotrom said:
see... I do the lariat over and over again... I can get a few perfects... but Ultras dont happen...

What I did to get this is set it to 3 rounds. This way the first round you can perfect him and the second round you can ultra him. I did this because sometimes when you try and build up ultra they kill you. this is only a problem on the hardest difficulty. If you're doing it on easiest to unlock gouken you can set it to 1 round.
I usually just focus attack charge in front of them then when they hit me I dash back. I let my life build back up then do it again. Doing it this way lets you keep your life bar up. Then when the meter is full I jump in on them. If they don't hit me I can ultra them. If they knock me down and are standing over me I can pull out an ultra.

MIMIC

Banned
Damn. All of my losses are to scrubby turtles. :mad: And every damn Zangief that I beat that spams the lariat move over and over again will get cussed out after the match via text. So fucking annoying. I beat 2 Zangiefs in a row that did that crap

TimeKillr

haunts said:
Good post TimeKiller, I feel like he is being way too nit picky in that article. The two buttons throws, the ultra inputs, quickrising, all of it seems to be pretty petty. The button config thing does annoy me but you're right with your own retail copy you dont change the buttons often anyway.

Thanks. :) At least someone didn't go and bash me for not liking Sirlin.

The only way you'd change button configs often is a setup similar to what we had at work once, where there are 3 different layouts people use (and then, there's 8 people with the same layout, and 2 with their specifics anyway) and every single time these 2 guys play they have to remap - to the most ridiculous thing too, like having both meds on the L1/L2 and having PPP/KKK on R1/L1. Still can't understand that one... Apparently the guy never ever uses meds so he wants them out of the way :lol

TimeKillr said:
4- Button config screen: Sure, it's the "wrong way". But only if you change your buttons AT EVERY SINGLE FIGHT. Do you? I don't think so. Do stick players ever change their button config? I don't think so. Everyone I know (with 1 or 2 exceptions) plays with their button config the exact same way, so if we're on pads we set it and forget it (like our good friend Ron Popeil)

I think he was complaining about this for Tournaments where multiple people have to change the inputs and change them back repeatedly.

Edit: Or something like that ^^^

Jirotrom

MIMIC said:
Damn. All of my losses are to scrubby turtles. :mad: And every damn Zangief that I beat that spams the lariat move over and over again will get cussed out after the match via text. So fucking annoying. I beat 2 Zangiefs in a row that did that crap
they spam it because its awesome and has great priority... stop bein a scrub

Okay...Dictator finally killed me on survival level 3...I got up to 109 wins...

Seriously...Capcom WTF? It must serve some chest beating purpose...Woah...the boards...KRP1976 won 109 times on stage 3...

I'm not going to waste my time with these gold medals...

And btw...good post timekillr

MIMIC

Banned
Is it impossible to hit M. Bison in the air when he's doing the head stomp? Just wondering. I haven't been able to touch him when he's doing that move (when we're both in the air).

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
prodystopian said:
I think he was complaining about this for Tournaments where multiple people have to change the inputs and change them back repeatedly.

That's most likely it. Would be great if the game would have profiles for button configs, like Custom 1, Custom 2, Custom 3 alongside with the default Controller and Arcade Stick and whatever.

MIMIC said:
Is it impossible to hit M. Bison in the air when he's doing the head stomp? Just wondering. I haven't been able to touch him when he's doing that move (when we're both in the air).

No, I get owned all the time when I try to do it, either with normal attacks or air throws.

TimeKillr

prodystopian said:

Any serious tournament will use sticks anyway. Nobody ever remaps controls on a stick.

It's a VERY minor annoyance. I agree it should be the other way, but the other way brings its own share of problems. I've seen people get overly confused with mapping actions to buttons.

Osaka said:
That's most likely it. Would be great if the game would have profiles for button configs, like Custom 1, Custom 2, Custom 3 alongside with the default Controller and Arcade Stick and whatever.

Having profiles would be awesome (and it would shut him up :) )

Zangief is a problem in this game.

His moves are now waaaay too easy to pull off now, yet they kept his damage very very high.

Plus his lariat is one of the best moves in the game, one that can be spammed continuously to an easy victory for a lot of scrubs.

The more I play, the more I see areas where a "SF IV Dash" is warranted.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Does anyone else wish this game used stocks for supers like 3S? I find myself almost never having enough meter for a super cause Im such an EX move whore...I pretty much cannot do a super and more than one ex move in a round. Id much rather combo into supers rather than ultras. I just wish the super meter filled much faster, and at the same time I wish the ultra meter filled slower.

tapedeck said:
Does anyone else wish this game used stocks for supers like 3S? I find myself almost never having enough meter for a super cause Im such an EX move whore...I pretty much cannot do a super and more than one ex move in a round. Id much rather combo into supers rather than ultras. I just wish the super meter filled much faster, and at the same time I wish the ultra meter filled slower.

Yeah, I agree with you...they should've done that. I hate how quickly ultras build in a round.

Mind you, I haven't played online...but I hate when the computer gets to do an ultra twice in a round...

If it's the third round, that's a possible three super moves.

Ferrio

Banned
tapedeck said:

I don't think it's a problem. I was kinda irked at it first.. but just because you're not doing supers doesn't mean you aren't playing well. EX moves are good, and if your character has a good assortment of them then it's not that big of a deal if you never use a super.

When I play Rog I *never* have a super. I think I may of used one... once?

When I play Rose I'll get a super bar every once in awhile, since I rely a lot less on her EX moves.

Zeliard

tapedeck said:
I just wish the super meter filled much faster, and at the same time I wish the ultra meter filled slower.

It would be too easy to abuse EX moves if the super meter filled up faster. With a character like Balrog, you'd fuck people up all day with lots of EX dashes that have armor on them.

Ferrio said:
When I play Rog I *never* have a super. I think I may of used one... once?

Same here. Rog's EX moves are way too useful to him, not just for doing damage but for stuff like absorbing projectiles.

MIMIC

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
Zangief is a problem in this game.

Plus his lariat is one of the best moves in the game, one that can be spammed continuously to an easy victory for a lot of scrubs.

With Guile, here's how I handle Zangief:

Me: Sonic boom
Scrub: Lariat
Me: Jump deep, hard kick....whatever else

Or you can vary the speed of the projectile to hit them right after they finish spinning. Or I'll throw an EX sonic boom that hits them before they can even start the lariat move.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
tapedeck said:
I actually wish Supers didn't require a whole bar. Maybe make it 2 bars but compensate and have them do less damage?

Usually I'll do 4 EX moves before I think to try a Super anyway.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
TimeKillr said:
Thanks. :) At least someone didn't go and bash me for not liking Sirlin.

The only way you'd change button configs often is a setup similar to what we had at work once, where there are 3 different layouts people use (and then, there's 8 people with the same layout, and 2 with their specifics anyway) and every single time these 2 guys play they have to remap - to the most ridiculous thing too, like having both meds on the L1/L2 and having PPP/KKK on R1/L1. Still can't understand that one... Apparently the guy never ever uses meds so he wants them out of the way :lol

I dont dislike him on any level, but I feel he is overly critical in a lot of cases. For instance, I think he ma ea post about John Choi after he won EVO in two games this past year critiquing his game which was just like, come on dude, he killed the japanese players and now you're going to nit pick his game? I dunno just seemed petty..

tapedeck said:

I dont mind it really.. It adds to the strategy and depth of the game, especially when playing characters like Viper or Rog.. Do I use EX or wait for one more bar and try to land the super combo?

I wish you could select the super like in 3s though. Having the supers just be toned down Ultras is kinda wack imo.

Dartastic

Soooo... anyone want to play me right now? I'm having a rough time getting a match through XBL, and it's irritating me. My GT is Dartastic. Add me!

NeoUltima

Spiderjericho said:
So Dan, Boxer, Claw, Dhalsim, Gen, Blanka don't have themes in the soundtrack? Did they just run out of budget, time or were just lazy?
I think they just did not put them in the cd soundtrack, I have heard Claw, Blanka, and Boxer themes. I think during the rival matches(or in a lobby).

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I havent used boxer at all, so I really didnt know how bad his EX stuff could potentially be abused with a faster filling meter. And yeah haunts, I agree about the selectable supers...lends itself to different play styles.

sidenote: I also keep trying to parry jump ins. :lol

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
All of Sirlins complaints are about stuff that SF IV doesnt do in comparison to HDR (blind select, button mapping, GGPO), which he worked on, so hes just being biased towards his product.

For the record I have experienced much less lag in IV than in HDR, plus when there IS lag is not lag that skips frames like in HDR, the game just slows down, which is much more appreciated. I hate it in HDR when theres lag all of a sudden Im on the ground with half a bar.

For Gief and his lariat (thats his PPP move, right?) lure him to do it with a fireball, then dash towards him and youll have a pretty good chance for a sweep or a combo.

Zeliard

Chamber said:
I actually wish Supers didn't require a whole bar. Maybe make it 2 bars but compensate and have them do less damage?

Usually I'll do 4 EX moves before I think to try a Super anyway.

Canceling into a Focus Attack already use up two bars. ;)

fatty

After spending more time with the game, I'm really starting to love it. I've been mostly playing single player arcade set to medium with three rounds, just trying to learn the characters more. So far I've beaten the game with Ken, Chun-li, Blanka and E.Honda (starting with the old school players). Got to Seth with Dhalsim but just couldn't beat him. First round is easy but those last two....

I'm tempted to unlock characters by beating the game on easy/1 round, but with this way I'm forced to learn the characters a little more. So far I only have Gen unlocked.

The Super Meter is fine, but I really think the Ultra Meter could use some tweaks. I've run into 14 too many Gouki players online who get their asses handed to them only to jump away and try to SGS me for 50%+ damage.

Yeah, it's an easy whiff, but it's annoying as all hell.

haunts said:
r one more bar and try to land the super combo?

I wish you could select the super like in 3s though. Having the supers just be toned down Ultras is kinda wack imo.

This is true also. I'd like to use Ken's 3S kick super as his normal and Guile's rush or vaccum sonic boom...maybe Claw's claw super...etc...

NeoUltima said:
I think they just did not put them in the cd soundtrack, I have heard Claw, Blanka, and Boxer themes. I think during the rival matches(or in a lobby).

No, I've been playing hard survival. All of the characters use their themes. Gen, Blanka, Dan, Claw, Boxer and Dhalsim don't have themes.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Spiderjericho said:
This is true also. I'd like to use Ken's 3S kick super as his normal and Guile's rush or vaccum sonic boom...maybe Claw's claw super...etc...

Yeahthat Gule super is really sick and would be dope in this game.. I mean really Ryus Ultra should be the Shin Sho.. I dont care what anyone says.. Throwing out a fuchsia fireball? Really?:lol

usea said:
So, for anybody who says you have to beat the game with all characters before Gouken will show up, it's definitely not true. I just unlocked Gouken, and I've only beaten the game with about half the cast. You just have to get Akuma, beat arcade mode with him at least once. Then beat it again using any character, with X perfects and ultra finishes, no continues.

No qualms there from how I unlocked Gouken. Unless I misinterpreted your post, you don't need to complete the game with Akuma BEFORE unlocking/fighting Gouken. This is to say, you can USE Akuma to unlock him, or as you said, any other character etc etc.

You just need to have unlocked Akuma I take it.

Settings Used: 1 round, 99 secs, Easiest (2 perfects, 3 ultras)

LOL.

According to tier lists all my mains are low tier -- Guile, Vega, and Honda.

Honda??? Honda is a beast. His EX (charge down + up kick) can catch a fuckin' cold if it wanted to. And his tick command throw is and always will be the shit.

But Vega I can understand. No matter how many 2, 3 , 4 hit combos I land, how many well - timed specials connect, it always just seems as if the other player still has more health than me.

But fuck me sideways is Vega's ultra the most badass shit in the world.

EDIT:

Does anyone have any strategies with Gen. What's his strenght and weaknesses (anyone have that link to the 1up's sf page)... anyway, I usually just think to myself Gen has good priorities on regular attacks, and save up for his super to ultra juggle combo ;)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
NeoUltima said:
Well...it is hard as hell took me like 15 minutes trying nonstop. Do the Shuryoken as soon as the second HK makes contact. I also suggest you map focus attack to a single button to make that part easier as well.

Yeah, I'll probably have to do that just to make sure I hit it in time. Cancelling into a focus attack is easier for me, but I still need to get the timing right on that one as well.

Ferrio said:
When you start the motion is dependent on how fast you are. But you have to end the motion as the HK is hitting.

TimeKillr said:
Cancelling involves cancelling the animation of the first move into the second move. You have to perform the move while the animation for the first attack is playing, and you must press the button AFTER the hit has been done.

If the game doesn't register your cancels, you're doing one of two things:

1- You did the motion + button too soon (before the initial attack lands)
2- You didn't perform the motion correctly

You also usually have a window to cancel, meaning that you have to do it within a specific amount of frames after the hit lands. SF4 doesn't have late cancels (as far as I know!) so you need to be fast.

A good rule of thumb is to start the motion for the special move right after you've hit the button for the initial attack. It should be quick enough.

(Oh, and don't get your hopes of for Level 5 normal trials. They're Links trials, and while they're annoying they're not as fun to do as the Level 4s).

Thanks guys!
So if I get this straight: I press HK -> do the FQCF motion as kick animation plays -> right after HK hits, press HP to initiate the Shoryuken?

Sounds easy enough in theory.

Out of curiousity, what are Link combos?

NeoUltima

Spiderjericho said:
No, I've been playing hard survival. All of the characters use their themes. Gen, Blanka, Dan, Claw, Boxer and Dhalsim don't have themes.
Maybe I'm going crazy but I swear I heard some of those...
I shall find evidence, otherwise I must be insane.

NeoUltima said:
Maybe I'm going crazy but I swear I heard some of those...
I shall find evidence, otherwise I must be insane.

No, I'm going insane from playing the computer over and over...

I forgot to throw Honda in that list...

When you play on hard there is no cap to the stages...so I've played most of those characters four or five times through a play through.

And yeah, Haunts...Shinshoryuken or Denjin Hadoken. Ken could really use his kick super. I'd probably leave Chun's the same...

Zangief would be the same. It would just be nice if his ultra used different animation.

Sagat could get his fireball super from CVS or his tiger raid...

Man...for the update, give me four new characters (Whack Ass Dee Jay and T. Hawk, two new characters), some more stages, themes to all of the characters that aren't electronica based (I'm not a huge fan of the soundtrack), lobby and spectating and selectable supers.

Zeliard

Chamber said:
I wouldn't know since I suck at canceling. :lol

Well, I'm not even going to pretend that I'm great at that right now. Shit requires some strict timing, especially when you're trying to use cancels with charge characters like Balrog (who's been my main). If anyone has any tips on FADC'ing with him, I'm all ears. I know I'm already crippling myself off the bat by using a DS3 instead of a stick.

TimeKillr

firehawk12 said:
Yeah, I'll probably have to do that just to make sure I hit it in time. Cancelling into a focus attack is easier for me, but I still need to get the timing right on that one as well.

Thanks guys!
So if I get this straight: I press HK -> do the FQCF motion as kick animation plays -> right after HK hits, press HP to initiate the Shoryuken?

Sounds easy enough in theory.

Out of curiousity, what are Link combos?

Cancelling into a Focus Attack is hella easy because it's not the same type of cancel.

And yes, you got it straight.

As for Links, they're sequences of normal attacks that are not cancelled into each other BUT do combo.

Basically, it works like this:

1- Attack 1 hits. It gives something called "hit stun" to its target - the target is stunned momentarily for a few frames
2- Attack 1 finishes playing its animation and the target is still in hitstun
3- You perform Attack 2, which hits before the hitstun is over

It's 2 or more normals, that hit one after the other without being cancelled into each other.

Wallach

TimeKillr said:
10- Pumping ultras is just dumb. I dunno about anyone else, but I only use ultras in combos and when it's a guaranteed hit (whiffed shoryuken, etc). Oh noes, he pumps them all the time! Doesn't it sort of make you predictable?

I don't agree with you at all here. In fact most of my experience against high-level players is fairly in line with that particular point.

Take for instance Abel v Sagat, Abel with full revenge. At the point where your revenge meter kicks, Sagat is going to start playing spacing bitch. Tiger shot (both total frames and projectile travel) is quite fast - were you to try and QCF x 2 + PPP reactively to a shot he's going to be well into his block before the first hit connects and you waste your ultra (and likely lose the match for it).

It doesn't make you predictable at all, it's necessary to use the advantages of most peoples' ultra (generally invincibility frames) to throw it during an opponent's attack. You aren't going to see a lot of "guaranteed windows" at higher level play to throw a fucking ultra because they know you have the ultra and aren't going to just start throwing ground DPs so you can rape them.

Narcosis

so, playing around with Viper some more in aracde, I find on the highest setting of difficulty there's alot of counters from other characters for the burning kick and I have to be really careful about how to apply it, but that charging lightning punch is a beast in all 3 varieties. The HP version is great anti-air and has led me to being able to victimize characters like Rufus.

I think Viper's gonna be my main, I really like her fighting style. I just gotta drill on the combos alot more to be really effective.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
TimeKillr said:
Cancelling into a Focus Attack is hella easy because it's not the same type of cancel.

And yes, you got it straight.

As for Links, they're sequences of normal attacks that are not cancelled into each other BUT do combo.

Basically, it works like this:

1- Attack 1 hits. It gives something called "hit stun" to its target - the target is stunned momentarily for a few frames
2- Attack 1 finishes playing its animation and the target is still in hitstun
3- You perform Attack 2, which hits before the hitstun is over

It's 2 or more normals, that hit one after the other without being cancelled into each other.

Hrm, cool. Are those anything like the target combos that the game gives you for free in the moves list?

Zeliard

Wallach said:
I don't agree with you at all here. In fact most of my experience against high-level players is fairly in line with that particular point.

Take for instance Abel v Sagat, Abel with full revenge. At the point where your revenge meter kicks, Sagat is going to start playing spacing bitch. Tiger shot (both total frames and projectile travel) is quite fast - were you to try and QCF x 2 + PPP reactively to a shot he's going to be well into his block before the first hit connects and you waste your ultra (and likely lose the match for it).

It doesn't make you predictable at all, it's necessary to use the advantages of most peoples' ultra (generally invincibility frames) to throw it during an opponent's attack. You aren't going to see a lot of "guaranteed windows" at higher level play to throw a fucking ultra because they know you have the ultra and aren't going to just start throwing ground DPs so you can rape them.

I've also seen Ultras used in tourney matches solely to do something like get out of a corner.

Askia47

I've been playing around with Chun li a bit. Really nice moves she has even tho she isn't top tier. Does anyone else have thoughts or strategies for her ?

Page 300.

This thread grows so quickly.

I'm playing survival trial five now...

I'm sort of numb...

And Sirlin is a cool guy...just a bit different. And I think Capcom should have involved him in the console version...since he did a good job with HDR (it's not like he's a programmer and made the matchmaking and network code). And if he really did "evaluate" John Choi after last Evo...that's crazy... Did he play? And did he evaluate himself and wonder why Choi was the winner and he wasn't. Choi won Super Turbo and what...CVS2? I know Nuki won TS.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Askia47 said:
I've been playing around with Chun li a bit. Really nice moves she has even tho she isn't top tier. Does anyone else have thoughts or strategies for her ?

Shes still really awesome though, she has a ton of moves that deal multiple hits plus she remains really fast. Dont worry so much about the tiers thats for people like Haunts to worry about, so until you can kick his ass Id say stick to what you like.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
ayprgy.jpg

Made me lolz.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Game is fuck awesome. Best SF since SFII on SNES for damn sure. But I am kind of worried about the game's future to be honest. The reception on big sites like Shoryuken is certainly quite a downer.

I just hope the game has some legs because I think it's fast, fluid and balanced. But hey, I'm not a high-end player. But their impressions are invariably always right about games competitiveness. And it sounds like SF4 isn't so far.

Wallach

Zeliard said:
I've also seen Ultras used in tourney matches solely to do something like get out of a corner.

Sure, it doesn't apply to all ultra usage but in general a strong player isn't going to just give up a window where you can safely use your ultra reactively. Obviously some characters don't work this way (Zangief) but others (like Abel) are often almost forced to keep it "ready" just because of the character match-ups. I just don't think it's fair to call him out on that point when it is true in plenty of cases.

Top Bottom