• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Just spent 20 minutes doing nothing but QCF x2 in training mode. My arm is tired.

Won't know if I have it down until I get in some matches though.

Askia47 said:
I've been playing around with Chun li a bit. Really nice moves she has even tho she isn't top tier. Does anyone else have thoughts or strategies for her ?

You probably know by now that she's like a cross between 3S and ST Chun. The biggest change is that she has almost no anti-air game that I can wrap my head around right now since her upkicks/Tenshyokyaku can't be performed without comboing into it via <-.mk.

Her mixup techniques make her really hard to predict and gain the upper hand on the ground, though. DF.hk -> cr.fk is one of my B&B combos. Simple but extremely effective, especially against the onslaught of Shoto players online. Her grabs are also quite useful in her mixup game, as is her df.lk, but I've not quite found a use for that yet since it leaves you very open if it's blocked.

Wallach

TheCardPlayer said:
Game is fuck awesome. Best SF since SFII on SNES for damn sure. But I am kind of worried about the game's future to be honest. The reception on big sites like Shoryuken is certainly quite a downer.

I just hope the game has some legs because I think it's fast, fluid and balanced. But hey, I'm not a high-end player. But their impressions are invariably always right about games competitiveness. And it sounds like SF4 isn't so far.

I don't think stuff like Sirlin's article is really anything more than minor grumbles. This game will definitely have legs, most of the complaints are not big issues. You could write up a fairly large laundry list of similar complaints even about games like SF2T.

call me crazy, but after my initial hype has worn off i just still feel something is wrong/missing with this game. i found myself playing SF2 last night instead. anyone else feel the same?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
TheCardPlayer said:
Game is fuck awesome. Best SF since SFII on SNES for damn sure. But I am kind of worried about the game's future to be honest. The reception on big sites like Shoryuken is certainly quite a downer.

I just hope the game has some legs because I think it's fast, fluid and balanced. But hey, I'm not a high-end player. But their impressions are invariably always right about games competitiveness. And it sounds like SF4 isn't so far.

The game has been out for a week, all those guys judging the game are wrong no matter what their opinion is.

Look at Street Fighter III, it didnt exactly look like it was gonna be played for 10 years after release when it first dropped, right?

Wallach said:
I don't think stuff like Sirlin's article is really anything more than minor grumbles. This game will definitely have legs, most of the complaints are not big issues. You could write up a fairly large laundry list of similar complaints even about games like SF2T.

Reading it was a waste of my time, and everyone elses.

I am allowed to bitch about minor things and everyone should read it because my name is.

Jirotrom

EraldoCoil said:
call me crazy, but after my initial hype has worn off i just still feel something is wrong/missing with this game. i found myself playing SF2 last night instead. anyone else feel the same?
no... I absolutely love it. I think its the best Street Fighter since 2. The minor problems it may have can be ironed out in sequels and further rebalancing.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Wallach said:
I am not talking about Sirlin's stuff but the hardcore fighting games forums seem to be taking a huge dump on the game so far and I don't think it's going to take off.

Which is a shame because it's the best damn SF ever.

Ferrio

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Hrm, cool. Are those anything like the target combos that the game gives you for free in the moves list?

No. Target/Chain/Gattling/Canned combos (whatever you want to call them) are pre-programmed combos which cancel into each other. As such they're usually really easy to do. Links aren't pre-programmed, but make use of frame advantage, which usually makes their timing pretty strict to downright impracticable.

Xevren

EraldoCoil said:

I'm already kind of bored, and havent played online that much. Mainly because I'm always just fighting the same character so it just kind of gets old. I tend to tire of games pretty fast though. I REALLY wish we had lobbies for player matches.

jdub03

GreyMatter said:
You probably know by now that she's like a cross between 3S and ST Chun. The biggest change is that she has almost no anti-air game that I can wrap my head around right now since her upkicks/Tenshyokyaku can't be performed without comboing into it via <-.mk.

Her mixup techniques make her really hard to predict and gain the upper hand on the ground, though. DF.hk -> cr.fk is one of my B&B combos. Simple but extremely effective, especially against the onslaught of Shoto players online. Her grabs are also quite useful in her mixup game, as is her df.lk, but I've not quite found a use for that yet since it leaves you very open if it's blocked.

I just save my super meter bars for EX-spinning side kick. It is an excellent anti air. I really don't use her super combos so I'm not wasting them. Works well for me.

Narcosis

TheCardPlayer said:
I am not talking about Sirlin's stuff but the hardcore fighting games forums seem to be taking a huge dump on the game so far and I don't think it's going to take off.

Those hardcore groups are a really small minority though. SFIV will be a success with or without them. Once they learn to deal with a few changes to what's familiar to them they'll likely come around.

Speaking purely anecdotally here, I've been mostly a Guilty Gear/Virtua fighter guy for years and haven't been much of a SF guy since the late 90's. This game is gonna be in my rotation for a very long time.

Wallach

TheCardPlayer said:

Doesn't seem like much out of the ordinary for a new game. I wouldn't worry about it too much. People shit all over SF3 when it first landed (maybe even worse). Plus the first iteration of a SF game is almost always panned and shunned with the knowledge that the coming revision(s) will address most things. It's happened that way with pretty much every SF game.

jdub03 said:
I just save my super meter bars for EX-spinning side kick. It is an excellent anti air. I really don't use her super combos so I'm not wasting them. Works well for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in love with EX Spinning Bird as anti-air, but I like having options. Relying on one move so heavily makes me really predictable, and that makes me uncomfortable.

xabre

Banned
xabre said:
Woooow just beat this fail thawk, ranked record 1 win 20 losses.

On the board BABY.

I've gotten somewhat respectable with Guile in SF2HD Remix, record is now 43-80. At least I can hope to be competitive when my copy of SF4 arrives.

How is Guile in SF4 btw? Much different for SF2HD?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
EraldoCoil said:
I'm the opposite. Wasn't feeling the game much on the first couple of nights. I still have my issues with the game but it's starting to get hard to turn off.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Anyone have any tips for Time Attack #14, the one where there are 12 stages and you get practically no time back for clearing the stage or using supers and you cannot use special moves?

Edit: Beat it. I used Zangief and used his ultra whenever I was knocked down and the cpu was standing next to me as I got up.

Oh, and I noticed some discussion about the Revenge Meter. I'm gonna have to agree with a lot of people here. IMO the Revenge Meter fills up too fast. Not only that but I think the Super meter doesn't fill up fast enough.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
TheCardPlayer said:

Any links? I've like to see why and what's being said.

BitchTits

My first couple of online matches it felt really weird. Strange since playing single player to unlock the characters it all felt so familar, but I soon got into the feel of it.

I've not really had any lag so far. Nice mix of characters used, sure there's a lot of Ryu/Ken/Sagat as always, but I've played a couple of Abels, Boxer. Zangief has scary grab range in this game, gotta keep in the air and on the move so he can't get in for the grab!

Dhalsim feels odd because he's like his Alpha version, have to get used to that haven't played that series in a while but he's one of my mains.

I've racked up about 15 wins with Rose, which I put down to a lot of the XBL players not knowing her moves, but she's my new #1. Fuerte is a lot of fun because of his speed and unpredictability. Abel is simple but satisfying. <3

Oh I'm missing Chun-Li's charge down->up kick special move too, not to mention the groovy new arc for the Spinning Bird Kick from HD Remix :(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
TheCardPlayer said:

You mean they're saying it doesn't lend itself as well to high level competition as previous iterations? That could be true, but that's like refusing to play basketball with your (comparatively skilled) friends because some people feel that tall people are way overpowered in the game. Game theory and gameplay are two very different things.

No_Style

TheCardPlayer said:

Can you elaborate on this? I went to the first page of the "anti-SFIV" thread on SRK and I haven't found valid reasons yet.

Wallach said:
Doesn't seem like much out of the ordinary for a new game. I wouldn't worry about it too much. People shit all over SF3 when it first landed (maybe even worse). Plus the first iteration of a SF game is almost always panned and shunned with the knowledge that the coming revision(s) will address most things. It's happened that way with pretty much every SF game.

I'm sure we'll see an update some time next year. Maybe add in some stages for all the characters.

Threi

notag
SFIV was good until the mainstream started playing and liking it as well. That automatically makes it shitty dumbed-down tripe that only scrubby Ken players like.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm almost positive that Gouken's Last combo in the 3rd trial is fucking impossible to do by mere mortals. How the fuck can you input his super command by the end of the first hit of the Heavy Kick. Oh my god. I'm assuming a stick is required.

the combo is:

HK>Super

pretty easy? not.

No_Style

Threi said:
SFIV was good until the mainstream started playing and liking it as well. That automatically makes it shitty dumbed-down tripe that only scrubby Ken players like.

Perhaps they should have added some 3S characters to ward away those mainstreamers. :D

Ferrio

Banned
pelicansurf said:
I'm almost positive that Gouken's Last combo in the 3rd trial is fucking impossible to do by mere mortals. How the fuck can you input his super command by the end of the first hit of the Heavy Kick. Oh my god. I'm assuming a stick is required.

the combo is:

HK>Super

pretty easy? not.

Do QCF+HK, QCF+P

TheCardPlayer

Kintaro said:
Any links? I've like to see why and what's being said.
Just go to Shoryuken and get ready to weep.

No_Style said:
Can you elaborate on this? I went to the first page of the "anti-SFIV" thread on SRK and I haven't found valid reasons yet.

Exactly. They have no valid reason yet still shit on the game. It doesn't matter if they hate if because it has no narwhals OH SHIT SON A NARWHAL GODDAMN. Fact it, no matter the reason if they hate it, they won't play it. If the big scene doesn't play it, the game dies.

TheCardPlayer

Askia47 said:
That one is not that bad, it's all about first impressions not a final opinion. I read far worse than that by players who have played the game for longer than any of us.

Then again, I completely disagree with them. SFIV for fucking ever.

Anyway, back to unlocking some more suckers. Only Cammy for me right now. :lol

Zeliard

TheCardPlayer said:
Just go to Shoryuken and get ready to weep.

What are you reading, exactly? SRK isn't all against SFIV.

Hell, one guy recently posted this:

Yeah, I've given it a chance. I hate it, taking it to Gamestop to sell.

I guess this is the future of fighting games, so I'm done with them in general.

And since SRK is just a shill for capcom now, is there a delete account option on here? bye.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Lost Fragment said:
ayprgy.jpg

Made me lolz.
lol

that's pretty hilarious

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
SRK has crapped on it since the loc tests in Japan. Hell I wanted to crap on it too after playing in the arcades around Osaka the last 3 or 4 months but now that I have it in my hands and can actually spend some time with it I'm enjoying it.

I don't think its the greatest game ever. I think its BS that you can pull 2 ultras off in a round if your opponent is just throwing punches out there. Would have been more up my ally if you built rage and then it slowly ticked down or you only got one per round. Kinda negates the ultraness of it when its thrown out over and over and over throughout the match.

Focus guards / blocks whatever are useless against some input combos like Ryu's forward strong punch. You can do that to the CPU all day and they'll focus out of the first and get nailed with the second. But whatevs.

I wish the match making was a bit better. I want a damn lobby / quarter system. Playing the same guy over and over and over is kind of lame.

But I'm really really enjoying the game. I don't do ranked games though, I've always had a bitter taste from playing ranked anything online. Too many disconnecting players out there for me...

Oh and a big F you to Capcom's for charging for stuff that is in the arcade. Those costumes should have been for BP or unlockable.

Wallach

TheCardPlayer said:
Exactly. They have no valid reason yet still shit on the game. It doesn't matter if they hate if because it has no narwhals OH SHIT SON A NARWHAL GODDAMN. Fact it, no matter the reason if they hate it, they won't play it. If the big scene doesn't play it, the game dies.

I really don't know where you're getting this. Have you been going to Shoryuken for a while or only since SFIV was making arcade rounds? Believe me when I say this isn't really anything new. They're complaining because they're playing it, not because they hate it and don't want to play it. Do you not remember what the place looked like when SFIII hit?

Gauhst

Things are starting to fall into place for me. I'm not a pro, but I can execute combos easier and I'm starting to win more.

I think Sagat is a good main. He's definitely not OP cause I've gotten my ass handed to me plenty of times, but I like his move set.

I'm just trying to play as much as I can to get comfortable to playing with a stick. It's still kinda hard to get used to.

TheCardPlayer

One thing I noticed about the game. Is it me or the AI pretty damn good? Usually fighting game AI is made out of suck and lose including the fabled AI of VF4 and 5. But these suckers mean business.

Damn.

And fucking Zangief. Holy shit! :lol

Gauhst

TheCardPlayer said:
One thing I noticed about the game. Is it me or the AI pretty damn good? Usually fighting game AI is made out of suck and lose including the fabled AI of VF4 and 5. But these suckers mean business.

Damn.

Yeah, at first I couldn't even beat the game on easiest. It's one thing to suck at SF, but I couldn't even button mash my way through.

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
No_Style said:
Perhaps they should have added some 3S characters to ward away those mainstreamers. :D

I dunno if you are serious or not. :(

I'd love this game even more if they'd added more new characters. Hell everyone in SF3 played like some one else form an old game. There are only so many input commands for a fighter. But new is scary. People want their Tekken 1 character to play the same in Tekken 20 (but making him / her more powerful isn't bad). Thats my biggest gripe with fighting games these days. No one wants new stuff. They want the old stuff with a fresh coat of paint.

SFIII made the mistake of being something new.

Now we gotta play something old. It is a lot of fun. I prefer it over SF2HD. But its a lot of the same old same old.

Top Bottom