• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
My Ryu has a really hard time against good Akuma players. There's the scrubs who do jump back -> air fireball all day, as well as raging demon from the other side of the screen. I love fighting those guys. But I can't even approach the good Akumas who mix it up well. I had the same problem in HD Remix :( They just completely zone me out

Also, I don't get the complaints about Ken. If the people who use him are so predictable, you should be having a laugh beating them up. I can never get bored punishing those fierce shoryukens all day.

Xevren

haunts said:
Xbox live wildin out for anyone else right now? I cant join or even a create a ranked match

It started getting REALLY laggy so I stopped playing. It was a 4 bar match in the menu too.

MIMIC

Banned
Xevren said:
Er, I don't understand what your issue with the overhead is. Are they crossing you up then overheading? I haven't had any issues with Abel either and I main Guile in ranked also.

I meant the crossup.

Still new to the SF lingo

hobart

This is what I did to unlock Gouken:

Firstly... All other characters were unlocked up to Gouken except, of course, Seth.

I placed the game on the easiest setting.

I placed the game on 1 round matches.

I beat the game through with Akuma.

I replayed as Akuma and did the following: 1 Perfect Victory. 3 Ultra Combo Victories.

After defeating Seth... a slash appeared in the screen and my battle with Gouken began. I defeated him and he became playable.

Good Luck!

jacobs34 said:
I think you have to have all of the other characters unlocked (except Seth of course) to unlock Gouken, I could be wrong though.

I have everyone unlocked except for Gouken and Seth. The only thing I could think of, is that I haven't beaten the game with each character.

haunts said:
Xbox live wildin out for anyone else right now? I cant join or even a create a ranked match

Just played for an hour or so and had no issues. That being said I could only find probably 5 or 6 different people (I was filtering "higher skill" and "english" though) so maybe something is up.

bathala said:
FUCK YOU SETH and your insta throw BULLSHIT

That's what fucking me up in Normal survival 19 now. I can get to him with 90-100% health, and as sson as I get him wore down to a couple of hits, he just starts with the teleport into throws until I'm dizzy and then finishes me off. I blew threw all the survival levels on the first try until this one.

y2dvd

brendanrfoley said:
I just played my first few online matches (unranked). They brought a smile to my face.

In my third fight, I won on the third round using Ken's Target Combo > Fierce Shoryuken > Super. It felt so friggin' good -- like the old days back in the arcade.

Despite being an XBox Live Gold Member, it was also my first online gamer vs gamer experience. Beyond memorable!

I would never do Ken's target combo in this game, it's way too unreliable. I've had it whiff many times (mostly vs crouch opponents). Plus, unless you're cancelling outta the first hit on srk, your super would juggle funny and not get the full hits.

I wouldn't even waste all of my meter on a super. I'd just do hk into ex hurricane kick or ex srk. Save that meter for FADC!

The Gamestop tourny I went to had like 30 kens, 10 ryus, 1 sagat. I never knew Ken was so popular :lol . I'm not even sure why when they could just pick sagat and mash random dp for more damage. =|

Ploid 3.0

Game is sold out. This is why I hate going to stores for a game. Stupid goose chase no matter what. I can't remember the last time I successfully got a game at a store.

Played some SFHD after and having second thoughts on getting SF4 (especially after the arcade game on console PPP KKK thing). The friend list full of people playing this, who also have SFHD but hardly ever played it, is pressuring me to buy this. It would be mighty funny if they all stopped playing after I get it (most likely amazon slow shipping if I do now).

I wish I could trade in a game to Gamefly to activate my GF account again, and grab SF4 then maybe clinch a buy it now for $45. Could combo that into a Naruto ultimate ninja rental.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
lol finally got my living room clean, so I figured Id take a pic of my setup :)

living_room_01.jpg

(not pictured: the chair that I put in the middle of the carpet for me to sit and play, haha)

Ploid 3.0 said:
Game is sold out. This is why I hate going to stores for a game. Stupid goose chase no matter what. I can't remember the last time I successfully got a game at a store.

I used to do that too till I got in the habit of calling the store before leaving the house, saves a lot of headaches

Xevren

MIMIC said:
I meant the crossup.

Still new to the SF lingo

Going to have to hold the opposite direction to defend. Isn't a move for him to really stop a crossover if you got knocked down. Of course if you just didnt get knocked down you'd never have to worry about it! What is it about Abel you hate so much? I haven't seen very many Abel players and they all tried to just roll around. Pretty easy to just throw them out of it.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
So I officially suck with a joystick. Im used to a pad but I figured Id play with big boys. And it turns out Im just not as good with a stick (its the TE stick too, so I definately suck). I can do combos better with the stick, but I just play better on the Dual Shock and am much more aggressive. Im close to switching back. :(

Jirotrom

Ploid 3.0 said:

Played some SFHD after and having second thoughts on getting SF4 (especially after the arcade game on console PPP KKK thing). The friend list full of people playing this, who also have SFHD but hardly ever played it, is pressuring me to buy this. It would be mighty funny if they all stopped playing after I get it (most likely amazon slow shipping if I do now).

I wish I could trade in a game to Gamefly to activate my GF account again, and grab SF4 then maybe clinch a buy it now for $45. Could combo that into a Naruto ultimate ninja rental.
shoulda preordered...

MIMIC

Banned
Xevren said:
Going to have to hold the opposite direction to defend. Isn't a move for him to really stop a crossover if you got knocked down. Of course if you just didnt get knocked down you'd never have to worry about it! What is it about Abel you hate so much? I haven't seen very many Abel players and they all tried to just roll around. Pretty easy to just throw them out of it.

I'm talking about Abel's Change of Direction move. If you're crouching, you have to stand up and block because the hits vary in the attack. And I had no idea that you could throw Abel during his roll. I usually just wait for them to stop and flash kick'em.

Guess I just gotta practice countering it more (Abel & Ken/Ryu). It just sucks because when I'm destroying Ken/Ryu, as SOON as they realize that blocking the crossup is my true weakeness, they keep at it until I'm gone :lol It's so frustrating

Oh yeah...had my first quitter. I was destroying his El Fuerte.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
tapedeck said:
So I officially suck with a joystick. Im used to a pad but I figured Id play with big boys. And it turns out Im just not as good with a stick (its the TE stick too, so I definately suck). I can do combos better with the stick, but I just play better on the Dual Shock and am much more aggressive. Im close to switching back. :(

Stay with the stick if you can, it takes TIME to get used to it, its not an insta win button like everybody thinks. Eventually (Id say a couple of weeks, maybe three) it'll click youll see theres things you can do with a stick that you cant with a pad, it'll pay off.

Jirotrom

Raging Spaniard said:
Stay with the stick if you can, it takes TIME to get used to it, its not an insta win button like everybody thinks. Eventually (Id say a couple of weeks, maybe three) it'll click youll see theres things you can do with a stick that you cant with a pad, it'll pay off.
took me months... and I've been on a stick for a few years and there are still trouble moments... thing is I have more trouble moments on a pad:D

Arde5643

MIMIC said:
I'm talking about Abel's Change of Direction move. If you're crouching, you have to stand up and block because the hits vary in the attack. And I had no idea that you could throw Abel during his roll. I usually just wait for them to stop and flash kick'em.

Guess I just gotta practice countering it more (Abel & Ken/Ryu). It just sucks because when I'm destroying Ken/Ryu, as SOON as they realize that blocking the crossup is my true weakeness, they keep at it until I'm gone :lol It's so frustrating

Oh yeah...had my first quitter. I was destroying his El Fuerte.
If the Abel player is pretty good and know his rolls - be careful of trying to throw him since he can time a tornado throw after the recovery of his roll. :/

tapedeck

Raging Spaniard said:
Yeah, I guess Ill stick with it (*rimshot), but it just sucks getting my ass kicked by the shoto army when Im trying to learn gouken/fuerte/abel on the stick...its taking the fun out of it. Im thinking I will just stay the hell away from ranked matches till I have it down.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
tapedeck said:

Hey man yeah playing on a stick is rough but ill buy the TE off of you for $80 if you dont want it anymore.

Saerk

That almost looks like a legit drop Kadey. Just basing it on that the match is still close and Sagat is jumping and has a decent chance of winning still. I've never had anyone drop on me, even when Im kicking their ass with Zangief.

tapedeck

haunts said:
Hey man yeah playing on a stick is rough but ill buy the TE off of you for $80 if you dont want it anymore.
Im sure you have like 476 of em all custom painted and whatnot. Leave me be. :(

Jirotrom

gutter_trash said:
I have been having fun Tosta Pressing repeatedly people online, its the funniest shit
but they eventually wise up by round 3 lol
thats the problem with El fuerte... he gets predictable... just do more change ups.

Coverly

Teknopathetic said:
Achievement Unlocked: First Hate Mail.

"another cheap sagat. Cool man."

:-(

Same here. I got called a pussy or something. I was playing against an akuma who was beating me hard and we disconnected a second before the end of the 2nd round. he thought i dc'ed on purpose but actually that's just what happened.

I'm around 8 or 10 wins out of 30 in player matches. the first 10 or so I got owned badly but lately i've been breaking even. My fav right now was going against a cammy fighter. He won twice and then I won the next two rounds but all of them were really rough fights. I have to give a lot of credit to him, i tried playing cammy and i kept being obliterated by opponents.

I'm usually wary of playing randoms but it's been great so far. I love that I could play arcade and new challengers come in seconds so I don't have to sit in lobbies all day. I'm using the regular controller and i've gotten ok with sakura, but i'm nowhere near the lvl of some of the players i've been up against.

y2dvd

SnowWolf said:
My Ryu has a really hard time against good Akuma players. There's the scrubs who do jump back -> air fireball all day, as well as raging demon from the other side of the screen. I love fighting those guys. But I can't even approach the good Akumas who mix it up well. I had the same problem in HD Remix :( They just completely zone me out

Also, I don't get the complaints about Ken. If the people who use him are so predictable, you should be having a laugh beating them up. I can never get bored punishing those fierce shoryukens all day.

Akuma is going to be annoying for any character. If akuma likes doing high air fireball, absorb it with FA and dash in. If they do the air fireball pretty low, I'd jump back and just walk up again or throw a fireball of my own. Ryu can zone pretty well too, so use your own fireballs every here and there, especially if they jump back. If you're fast with it, it'll force Akuma to either land on it, time an air fireball to avoid it, land and block it, or land and use a FA to absorb it.

I have no advice for Akuma on HDR tho except to play Ken. :lol MP srk thru airfireballs FTW! :D

TP

So i've decided on Rose as my main but im not doing too well with her online
Your average fireball spammin' Ryu takes me out half the time :lol
I think I heard somewhere that EX soul reflect will only reflect EX fireballs. Is that true?
Also i'd appreciate any tips from other Rose users out there

Fenderputty said:
I have everyone unlocked except for Gouken and Seth. The only thing I could think of, is that I haven't beaten the game with each character.
Gouken = Requirements: After unlocking Akuma you MUST beat the game with Akuma and get his ending before Gouken will unlock. Also, whoever you are trying to unlock Gouken with you MUST have already beat the game once. NO CONTINUES/NO ROUNDS LOST!!

Preparation: Set difficulty to Easiest. Rounds set to 1. Time set to 99.
Fight 1 - Perfect Finish
Fight 2 - Ultra Finish
Fight 3 - Ultra Finish
Fight 4 - Ultra Finish
Fight 5 DO NOT GET A PERFECT ULTRA OR SUPER FINISH
Fight 6 DO NOT GET A PERFECT ULTRA OR SUPER FINISH
Fight 7 DO NOT GET A PERFECT ULTRA OR SUPER FINISH
Fight 8 DO NOT GET A PERFECT ULTRA OR SUPER FINISH

haunts

Bacon of Hope
So I switched to player matches and i played two ppl ina row who has seth with one round. LOL. I perfected the 2nd dude with c. viper and he kicked me. haha

I wish El Fuerte's Quesidilla was a Scissor Kick charge motion instead of a hold button release thingy, I would be straight up higher if had this move not being a hold button release move

Arde5643

gutter_trash said:
I wish El Fuerte's Quesidilla was a Scissor Kick charge motion instead of a hold button release thingy, I would be straight up higher if had this move not being a hold button release move
Yeah, I know what you mean - it sucks that I cannot use any kicks while I'm charging. :/

Anyanka

Jeo said:
So i've decided on Rose as my main but im not doing too well with her online
Your average fireball spammin' Ryu takes me out half the time :lol
I think I heard somewhere that EX soul reflect will only reflect EX fireballs. Is that true?
Also i'd appreciate any tips from other Rose users out there

EX reflect will reflect EX and regular fireballs.

Use lp to absorb them into your meter and throw EX sparks.

Arde5643

Newest JP Arcade tier list in case anyone's interested:

Spirit Juice(SRK forum) said:
This was the most recent tier list from Tougeki Damashii:

S +

Sagat, Viper, Akuma, Zangief

S

Ryu, Balrog, Rufus, Blanka

A
Chun li, M. Bison, Ken, Dhalsim, Abel, Honda, El Fuerte

B
Vega, Guile

They use B to indicate that even the worst characters can still be pretty viable in tourneys.

Wow at Viper getting higher again in tier list.

The Following Message comes from

7th Number

How do you do this sakura combo. Im doing training level 4, last combo.

Jump - Heavy Kick
Heavy Punch
Shouoken
Haru Ichiban

I can do them all but the last move never connects. I dont get it.

Peace & Love
7th Number

PS here is an attached pic

DCP_2702.jpg

I picked Street Fighter IV up today and after two hours of playing I'm not too sure if I like the game. I used to be a huge freak for fighters, like many people Street Fighter II in the arcades kicked off my obsession with the genre. Up until recently I used to buy every fighter that was released but I just began to play each new purchase less and less, it got to a point where I'd just shelve a fighter after a week and never touch it again. Street Fighter IV was going to be litmus test. If the latest sequel in the franchise that got me obsessed with the genre in the first place couldn't re-ignite that spark I used to have then no other fighter probably would.

I'm going to unlock every character and try out the online experience before I pass any sort of judgement but right now all I know is Abel's biceps look like they're going to explode if he flexes to hard, the priorities of the grapplers throws seems kind of ridiculous and I fucking hate Seth. It's like a broken, piece of shit King of Fighters boss somehow made it into Street Fighter. There's a pretense of fairness in the first round but holy shit does that get thrown out the window in the second and third round. I dropped that shit to easy and one round after my first stab at the arcade mode. Once I unlock every character I'm never touching that shit again.

I also need to at least buy one of those six button pads (can't afford an arcade stick right now) because holy shit the Dualshock 3 ain't cutting it for me.

Arde5643

Man, the most recent recorded TRF tourney from Japan is awesome (see lower tier favorites like Abel, Chun, and Honda beating up the S/S+ tiers):

(all links from Shoryuken.com)

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Very beastly Abel, Chun, and Honda players - especially the Chun player - the keep away game was just too good.

Xevren

BradVanDam said:
The Following Message comes from

7th Number

How do you do this sakura combo. Im doing training level 4, last combo.

Jump - Heavy Kick
Heavy Punch
Shouoken
Haru Ichiban

I can do them all but the last move never connects. I dont get it.

Peace & Love
7th Number

PS here is an attached pic

Have to cancel the Shouoken with the super. Timing is very fast. Took me a few tries to get it.

SLYspyda

Banned
In just less than a week, with probably about 2 hrs a day of play, I've gone from barely being able to beat the game in medium to owning the shit out of Seth in Hardest.

I'm ready to get xbox live now and start owning online with Ryu.

Top Bottom