• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Spy said:
Although I like 3S characters I specifically excluded them due to SFIV taking place before it.

Teenage Dudley, a more brash arrogant version of the gentleman we all know and love :D Also, teenage Alex could be possible I guess - no idea how that'd fit into the convoluted SF canon though.

If they did release more characters the ones i'd personally want would include;

Alex
Dee Jay
Dudley
Karin
Yun/Yang

wRATH2x

Banned
This game needs:

T.Hawk.

Dee Jay.

Alex.

Hugo.

Dudley.

Ibuki.

Birdie.

Pollum.

Skullomania.

That EX guy with the mustache.

C.Jack.

That big blue guy with the thing sticking out of his head.

And 2 new characters.

But either way I fucking love this game,but I hope Street Fighter V doesnt take this long,hopefully out by 2011.

Spy said:
Although I like 3S characters I specifically excluded them due to SFIV taking place before it. I also excluded characters that aren't from Street Fighter IE: Final Fight.

It's not my wishlist just a list that I think would be possible.
ah. I forgot about the timing of this game. more than fair.

speaking of which, maybe it's a bad idea for me to main C. Viper. after all, if she doesn't appear in the SF4 universe after this game, what's the point? Isn't it logical to conclude that unless Street Fighter 5 takes place as another prequel of sorts, she will not be in future games?

Perdew

Bootaaay said:
Teenage Dudley, a more brash arrogant version of the gentleman we all know and love :D Also, teenage Alex could be possible I guess - no idea how that'd fit into the convoluted SF canon though.

If they did release more characters the ones i'd personally want would include;

Alex
Dee Jay
Dudley
Karin
Yun/Yang

They resurrected 4 characters and added a fat guy with a fu man chu and a mexican wrestling chef, while leaving Sakura in a school outfit even though she should be out. There is no SF canon to work around. I'd love to have Dudley, Yun and Yang. And Ibuki.

And Necro and Elena.

No Twelve, please

nubbe said:
It is fun how challenges which were a bitch yesterday are much easier the day after. Sleeping on this game helps :p
taking 2-3 minute breaks helps. your brain gets frazzled trying to input commands under pressure. especially the first time.

taking a break resharpens you.

sphinx

the piano man
I played this game yesterday at a friend's.

.- Besides elfuerte which moves really fast, it seems like everyone moves at the same speed. WTF at Vega being as slow (or fast) as Zangief. Chun li used to overwhelm everyone with her speed and awesome kicks, she has been turned into a slow tank gorilla.

.- Everyone jumps almost at the same speed and height, bad.

.- It makes no fucking sense to play this game with normal controllers, doing a back-low charge then doing some weird ass X or Z movement ( and sometimes twice!!) in a sixasis or 360 stick or D-pad is a formidable exercise in frustration.

the game looks terrific and it's still fun to play, in spite of the mentioned flaws.

Dreams-Visions said:
ah. I forgot about the timing of this game. more than fair.

speaking of which, maybe it's a bad idea for me to main C. Viper. after all, if she doesn't appear in the SF4 universe after this game, what's the point? Isn't it logical to conclude that unless Street Fighter 5 takes place as another prequel of sorts, she will not be in future games?
Jump the gun much?

The only SF that takes place after SFIV canonically is SFIII

Would that stop you from learning any SFIV character other than Ken, Ryu, Chun, and Akuma? They're the only ones guaranteed to exist after this game because they're in SFIII.

Plus, shouldn't SFV not be out for another 10 years?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
sphinx said:
.- Besides elfuerte which moves really fast, it seems like everyone moves at the same speed. WTF at Vega being as slow (or fast) as Zangief. Chun li used to overwhelm everyone with her speed and awesome kicks, she has been turned into a slow tank gorilla.

Chun li has one of the fastest walks and dashes in the game. You just need more practice.

Ferrio

Banned
Well fought my first disconnecter. Not surprising, he's the worst Ken I've gone up against yet. It was actually pretty amusing fighting him with Rose. Takes a while for them to realize they're just building my bar by throwing fireballs at me.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
sphinx said:
I played this game yesterday at a friend's.

.- Everyone jumps almost at the same speed and height, bad.

.- It makes no fucking sense to play this game with normal controllers, doing a back-low charge then doing some weird ass X or Z movement ( and sometimes twice!!) in a sixasis or 360 stick or D-pad is a formidable exercise in frustration.

the game looks terrific and it's still fun to play, in spite of the mentioned flaws.

I dunno. Fei seems faster to me than when I play someone like, say, Sagat.

haunts said:
Chun li has one of the fastest walks and dashes in the game. You just need more practice.
and Sagat's has to be among the slowest. I never use him but picked him to help a friend learn how to deal with Sagats owning him with tiger's...and he was balls slow. Him and Sim. Good lord.

Dreams-Visions said:
maybe it's a bad idea for me to main C. Viper. after all, if she doesn't appear in the SF4 universe after this game, what's the point? Isn't it logical to conclude that unless Street Fighter 5 takes place as another prequel of sorts, she will not be in future games?

Nah. Canonically, Sakura and Rose shouldn't be in SFIV either. If C. Viper proves popular, Capcom et al will make room for her.

Also, completely off topic, but your C. Viper avatar totally looks like a female Travis Touchdown.

Arde5643

DimmuBurgerKing said:
Nah. Canonically, Sakura and Rose shouldn't be in SFIV either. If C. Viper proves popular, Capcom et al will make room for her.

Also, completely off topic, but your C. Viper avatar totally looks like a female Travis Touchdown.
Guess why everyone loves C Viper? :D

DimmuBurgerKing said:

:D

cool.

Okay is it just me or has anyone else NOT seen online players actually using FADC? ...I mean, I as with others, will throw a FA in from time to time to mix it up, but I've yet to see someone go all out with the higher tier technical wizardry.
You guys think it's because it hasn't been out long enough yet stateside or maybe people would rather have their Parries back?

Barrett2

All this talk about adding characters; did Capcom hint that new characters would be added via DLC? I thought they said there would be no additional characters...

Barrett2

AgentOtaku said:
Okay is it just me or has anyone else NOT seen online players actually using FADC? ...I mean, I as with others, will throw a FA in from time to time to mix it up, but I've yet to see someone go all out with the higher tier technical wizardry.
You guys think it's because it hasn't been out long enough yet stateside or maybe people would rather have their Parries back?

I haven't seen any FADC. I don't even see players use it to absorb hits or fireballs, let alone FADC combos.

I assume its because people are like me, able to do some stuff in practice mode, but once you get in a fight with a real person, panic sets in and its OMG button mash time!!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
AgentOtaku said:

The timing is rather strict...which is not a good look with latency in the equation.

lawblob said:
I assume its because people are like me, able to do some stuff in practice mode, but once you get in a fight with a real person, panic sets in and its button mash time!!

:lol I instantly forget everything I've learnt as soon as I play against someone online.

AgentOtaku said:

I think it's just a matter of most people don't know about it, wouldn't know how to do it, wouldn't know when to do it, couldn't do it in matches.

There is an IGN video that perfectly explains what it is, how to do it and when to use it, but without seeing that I never would have figured it out. I mean FA and dashing out is one thing, but the context of using an FA to cancel another move dash out and link into another move... well, at this point that's out of most people's hands I would imagine.

lawblob said:
I haven't seen any FADC. I haven't really seen any use of Focus Canceling, let alone FADC combos.

I assume its because people are like me, able to do some stuff in practice mode, but once you get in a fight with a real person, panic sets in and its button mash time!!

I wouldn't say it's button mash time for me. I just haven't personally felt the urge to utilize it =/
....looks super rad though

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Dreams-Visions said:
and Sagat's has to be among the slowest. I never use him but picked him to help a friend learn how to deal with Sagats owning him with tiger's...and he was balls slow. Him and Sim. Good lord.

Yeah but if you use his Tiger Knee/Kara Tiger Knee to move around he is extremely mobile. You can use EX Tiger Knee to get right up in their face and starts a 50/50 mix up as well. He might as well not even have a walk in this game with all those tools.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
lawblob said:
I assume its because people are like me, able to do some stuff in practice mode, but once you get in a fight with a real person, panic sets in and its OMG Panic button mash time!!

Sadly this. I put a ton of time in the practice mode. Yesterday I played my first 2 online ranked matches and lost both

=(

I'm just going to use Ryu from now on

LiK

Ronabo said:
We need another Grappler and another female. Maybe Makoto or hell even Poison.
yeah yeah she's a he

i dunno about having more grapplers. getting thrown around by Abel, Zangief and Seth over and over again was so frustrating.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
lawblob said:
I haven't seen any FADC. I don't even see players use it to absorb hits or fireballs, let alone FADC combos.

I assume its because people are like me, able to do some stuff in practice mode, but once you get in a fight with a real person, panic sets in and its OMG button mash time!!

This is true.. Ive played a couple matches where I can tell ppl have practiced it just don't have it down in a match yet.

Threi

notag
^^^ I've been practicing trying to use focus attacks to absorb fireballs but so far its harder than parries :lol

The problem isn't the focus attack, but remembering to cancel it with a dash (which is something I always forget in battle)

on the new char topic:
Pullum plz.

Kaibutsu

neight said:
Not anymore it's back in stock. What's so special about it is it has an anime movie made specifically for the CE.

Edit: PS3 CE is sold out again at Amazon.com. It was available for a few hours this morning. Wow these really are flying off the shelves like hotcakes.

yeah, i went to best buy on saturday and they had a bunch of the 360 RE's and a few of the 360 CE's left but not a ps3 version of the game to be found.

AgentOtaku said:

I'd say most people have yet to see it put to good use and don't experiment much so until someone shows them it'll stay that way.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Haunts I sent you a FR on XBL. If the lag isn't too bad maybe you can give me a hint on why my play isn't working right now- though I gave myself a tough road.

MGrant

ChrisGoldstein said:
I'm just going to use Ryu from now on

Don't do it! Knowing how to use your character is only half the battle. You should be able to get some wins by simply punishing Kens online. Wait for them to jump in and hit them with an anti-air. Get in close and block a shoryuken. Free throw/combo/ultra. You'll be surprised how often you can do that, and you can do that with any character you please.

Ronabo said:
We need another Grappler and another female.

Haggar should have been in this damn game. He was going to be in Capcom Fighting All Stars which Ono was overseeing so I thought surely he'd be a shoe-in for SF4. I want Haggar vs Zangief sooooo bad. He could be the Ken to Zangief's Ryu. And Zangief's alternate costume doesn't make me happy, it just pisses me off more that he's not in the game.

LiK

MGrant said:
Don't do it! Knowing how to use your character is only half the battle. You should be able to get some wins by simply punishing Kens online. Wait for them to jump in and hit them with an anti-air. Get in close and block a shoryuken. Free throw/combo/ultra. You'll be surprised how often you can do that, and you can do that with any character you please.

hehe, is Sakura considered a Shoto? i'm liking her in SFIV way more than the Alpha series.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Biff Hardbody said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhy3ema_J4M

The stuff he does against Ryu here made me want to main Dhalsim.

Haunts, good info, thanks. I'm trying to get the timing right on my anti airs. If I don't, I can get rushed down by button mashers and its no fun. That strat seems sound against the comp thats out there, I'm going to work on it.

Wow that Dhalsim player is incredible.

SFIV is the most entertaining game to watch when high level players are going at it

EDIT---found this dude playing as c viper, man I need to play like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojo54padEw0

RedAssedApe

Banned
Frys showed some SE sticks in stock this morning. Ordered and got this message:

Your order S1484670, quote 2482526 IS NOT READY for pick up because the following items are not available in the store at this time:

Item(s) Req Qty Aval Qty
XB360 SF FIGHTING STICK 1 0

You may come to the store list below to pick up your available item(s) if desired or follow this link to cancel your order. Frys.com apologizes for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Someone over there needs to proof-read. :D

Barrett2

Threi said:
^^^ I've been practicing trying to use focus attacks to absorb fireballs but so far its harder than parries :lol

The problem isn't the focus attack, but remembering to cancel it with a dash (which is something I always forget in battle)

Definitely start dashing out of a focus, even with my scrubbyness I find that simply canceling out of focus with a dash is really effective at catching other scrubbies off guard, and I can use it to jump in for a move. My next goal is actually pulling off a FADC combo in a fight... but until I stop mashing my stick like a seizure victim any time someone catches me off guard, its not gonna happen. -_-

Top Bottom