• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

LiK

played a lot of good players today. i didn't do bad considering i just switched to using Gouken today. nothing beats practicing in ranked matches. was doing about 50%. i sucks against a Cammy and Abel player. there was also a Guile who was alright. ialso played a bunch of annoying Kens...

anyways, i won a close one against Akuma and the dude even msged me to say "great match". woohoo, my first msg for SFIV. ;)

Jamesfrom818 said:
I'd go with Cammy.
avcammy-intro-ssf2t-anim.gif

Jamesfrom818 said:
She's the only reason I keep the voices in English.
you can actually change it on a per-character basis

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Jamesfrom818 said:
I'd go with Cammy. She's the only reason I keep the voices in English.

You know you can set each characters voice individually, right? (so Cammy could be in Brit and everyone else in Japanese, for instance)

Canti

So I was fighting an Abel online as Chun.

On every wakeup he manages to grab and throw me. I was more pissed off with myself than anything, for constantly falling for the same thing. I'm down to about 5% health and he has 50, by some miracle (see: fluke) jump I dodged his ultra, proceeded to catch him with my own, bringing us down to similar health. Noticing a bit of super bar remaining, I managed to finish him off with two EX kikokens with chip damage from afar. Quite proud of myself for the comeback, I then get a message 30 seconds later saying how cheap/scrubby I was and that he deserved the win.

Deflated my enthusiasm a bit but I guess I shouldn't be bothered XD

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ugh. Wired got ahold of Sirlin's comments on SF4. I have to wonder if some blogs stop and ask themselves "If this really worth reposting?" before posting stuff.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Kintaro said:
Ugh. Wired got ahold of Sirlin's comments on SF4. I have to wonder if some blogs stop and ask themselves "If this really worth reposting?" before posting stuff.

Kotaku did too, ugh

LiK

Canti said:

On every wakeup he manages to grab and throw me. I was more pissed off with myself than anything, for constantly falling for the same thing. I'm down to about 5% health and he has 50, by some miracle (see: fluke) jump I dodged his ultra, proceeded to catch him with my own, bringing us down to similar health. Noticing a bit of super bar remaining, I managed to finish him off with two EX kikokens with chip damage from afar. Quite proud of myself for the comeback, I then get a message 30 seconds later saying how cheap/scrubby I was and that he deserved the win.

the Abel player i played kept jumping away from me. soooo annoying. i kept throwing him for bugging me, lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Canti said:

Wake up EX Bird.

TimeKillr

Kintaro said:

They're blogs. Of course they don't ask themselves that (especially if it's coming from Sirlin, as if he had some authority)

Zeliard

Kintaro said:

The way Sirlin comes across in that article, it's impossible to view him as anything but surly over not having been a part of SFIV.

Is that Abel's main wake up?

I've started using him in ranked online now that I've gotten better with him. He's a hard player to learn but I think I've had a break through with him. Winning more than I'm losing now.

Barrett2

Chamber said:
Feels like I'm taking forever to get use to this stick.

I guess I should have said, "Fuck this stick!".

Same here. I am 0-12 today with the stick, and about 3-7 with the Fight Pad. This is a hassle learning to use the damn stick.

LiK

lawblob said:
Same here. I am 0-20 today with the stick, and about 3-7 with the Fight Pad. This really is a hassle learning to use the damn stick.

really? are you guys not using it correctly?

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Yummy, my Sanwa stick is soo good. I improved vastly. although I had 4 ranked wins in a row and lost the 5 to a scroto. :( I'm really getting the hang of Abel, just gotta be a bit more patient.

Also I tried Balrog and I really like him, his attacks go so far. This one dude, the only one I've heard speak online, was sparring with me. He had a good chun-li and we had some close matches.

This game is so great.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
lawblob said:
I've never used a stick before. It feels unresponsive, during fights it just feels like it doesn't obey me. I really suck with it.
Basically. I couldn't even throw out Sonic Booms today. Sonic freakin' Booms!

LiK

lawblob said:
I've never used a stick before. It feels unresponsive, during fights it just feels like it doesn't obey me. I really suck with it.

oh, i see. which stick are you using btw?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
lawblob said:
Im trying to adjust as well, the main thing is the qcf motion for me is just much tougher on the stick. I never do anything by accident with the stick though so I guess thats good.

Barrett2

tapedeck said:
Im trying to adjust as well, the main thing is the qcf motion for me is just much tougher on the stick. I never do anything by accident with the stick though so I guess thats good.

I think a big problem for me on the stick is my hand speed. My fingers can move so much faster on a Fight Pad than they move using the stick; its like I do everything in slow motion on the stick, which is what I think kills me most fights.

Zeliard

tapedeck said:

I'm no stick expert, but I think qcf-type rolling motions are generally much easier to do on sticks with an octagonal gate, rather than a square one (where it's easier to do charge moves, I'd imagine).

Threi

notag
what kind of retarded button layout is this on the fightpad. LB = left trigger, LT = right trigger?

why not just map LT and RT to triggers and LB and RB to buttons?

*facepalm*

RedAssedApe

Banned
Arrrgh...I hate how I keep getting so close to 2000 BP...then I play someone who hasn't been playing ranked but is a very good player with low BP. I end up in an endless loop. I'll win like 5 matches and then lose 1 and have a net gain of 0 BP! haha

One other thing that's been kind of bugging me is that combo-ing off jumping attacks seems too lenient. In previous iterations of SF you'd be able to block any subsequent attacks unless you landed a somewhat meaty attack with your jump in. Some stuff that don't seem like they should combo...are registered as combos. I suppose I'm still getting used to the timing...

BTW. I picked up the SE Fight Stick the other day. Its actually pretty decent. I don't have any other sticks to compare to but its a nice weight and I haven't had any problems so far with the ball top sticking or not registering. The square gate works perfectly...so far I haven't had any reason to think of attempting a mod. The only one minor defect I've noticed is that one of the buttons is less "clicky" than the others.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Zeliard said:
I'm no stick expert, but I think qcf-type rolling motions are generally much easier to do on sticks with an octagonal gate, rather than a square one (where it's easier to do charge moves, I'd imagine).
Oh for sure. I have the TE stick with the square gate and it really takes some getting used to.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Zeliard said:
Are you trying to send me to the poor house, my friend? :(

Threi

notag
Question for people with a fightpad:

Before i continue using it i want to know which is a better way to hold it:

either a) like a regular pad with my thumb on the face buttons, or b) with my thumb on the underside and all my fingers on the face buttons.

with b) i figure i will be able to input commands quicker, but i lose the ability to hit the shoulder buttons.

Rektash

The Quick match option always finds the same people which are "not playable" against and in the creat game no one joins. Fuck you capcom and make a proper matchmaking. WAY TO GO. So I basically can t play online atm.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
is it me or does kens shoryuken do a little too much damage to people who block it? : (

when i block them for a throw its almost tit for tat. maybe because i use viper

depward

Rektash said:
The Quick match option always finds the same people which are "not playable" against and in the creat game no one joins. Fuck you capcom and make a proper matchmaking. WAY TO GO. So I basically can t play online atm.
Turn on fight requests and go into arcade mode..

Ploid 3.0

How long does it usually take walmart to restock on games. I've been camping SF4 for a long time, playing SF3 offline is darn boring. I hate anticipation, before I wanted the game I was fine, but now that I decided to go ahead and get it I can't stop thinking about it. Plus I'm running out of time because of another game.

Threi said:

either a) like a regular pad with my thumb on the face buttons, or b) with my thumb on the underside and all my fingers on the face buttons.

with b) i figure i will be able to input commands quicker, but i lose the ability to hit the shoulder buttons.

With the FightPad, go with b)

Any other controller I'd go with a)

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Rektash said:
Creat your own lobby, I swear, people join before it's done creating it. :lol

Arde5643

Threi said:

I use it with my fingers on the face buttons - I try to main Fuerte, so quicly pressing jab to any of the face buttons, especially the jab or l.kick is really important.

I tried this with triggers on the regular 360 controller, and it was just killing my execution and timing.
Even just doing Vega's crouch strong to light rolling flash was tough since I had a hard time using the trigger to activate charge in combos.

And if you try to main Viper without the ability to press the face buttons quickly, there's no way to play Viper's feints.

So I think for most characters, fingers on all the face buttons is the more advantageous method.

EDIT: This is assuming you have the fightpad with 6 face buttons.

Guled

Rektash said:
just play the arcade mode with requests on, you'll be facing people online in no time

Top Bottom