• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
alright, tomorrow i'm finding a new main -- no more guile. there are a lot of things i like about the way he plays, but he may as well have no ultra, and against good players that's a handicap i don't need

Dizzy-4U

Fersis said:
Unfun Random Fact: Im having an awful day, a finance lady yelled at me because i didnt want to anwser the phone. :(
I responded that i dont like to use phones so thats why i didnt answered ... and she got mad. Im an idiot :( (I want to go home)
I understand the feeling. SFIV, then KOFXII and Blazblue. This year my real life is going to suck.

rSpooky

hehe, really ejoying this gaem except for that annoying seth.. It sucks to just train through all contestants to end up frustrated with this ass.
Ater unlocking all characters I think I will alway sskip him :lol

My two girl ( 4 and 7 ) LOVE this game and always want to play with me . so I set myself to a high handicap and practice my blocking .. but my 7 year old is gettign to good.. she is starting to beat me even when I use only a once star handicap :D Every day when I come home it is "daddy!! lets play the karate game ":lol

My son (13) doesnt seem to much into this.. he is more a FPS guy at the moment.

After losing ~400bp points in the span of half and hour against people I could have easily beaten, I'm officially taking a break from SFIV. I'm gonna zone out on KZ2 for a month or two and come back to it. I think I'm just burned out on street fighter. I've been going hard playing HD Remix for months, and going hard playing SFIV since it camge out. I still love the game but I just need a change of pace for a while. Hopefully by the time I pick it up again I'll have my TE stick, the patch will be up, all the costumes will be out, and whatever's planned for home will be complete.

And I unlocked an Akuma shirt for home....but I never use akuma.

LiK

the online has been pretty mediocre so far. i haven't seen anyone with the full 5 bars. i rarely see 4 bar ones and most dudes are 2 bars or less. and when i joined a few 4 bar ones, it STILL lagged and ruined one match for me. i managed to win another match even tho we were lagging like crazy. ugh, i think i might give up Ranked matches soon.

GrayFoxPL

rSpooky said:
hehe, really ejoying this gaem except for that annoying seth.. It sucks to just train through all contestants to end up frustrated with this ass.
Ater unlocking all characters I think I will alway sskip him :lol

My two girl ( 4 and 7 ) LOVE this game and always want to play with me . so I set myself to a high handicap and practice my blocking .. but my 7 year old is gettign to good.. she is starting to beat me even when I use only a once star handicap :D Every day when I come home it is "daddy!! lets play the karate game ":lol

Your doughters know what's good. :D

Maybe your son will convert too.

Don't use handicap!

Sweep the leg.
jk

LiK said:
the online has been pretty mediocre so far. i haven't seen anyone with the full 5 bars. i rarely see 4 bar ones and most dudes are 2 bars or less. and when i joined a few 4 bar ones, it STILL lagged and ruined one match for me. i managed to win another match even tho we were lagging like crazy. ugh, i think i might give up Ranked matches soon.
unlucky...
I have decent matches with ZERO bars. I just thought the connection rating was just ultra strict or something.

Dizzy-4U

LiK said:
I tried online yesterday. All players had only 1 bar, so I didn't even bother. Then I play friend who lives a few blocks from my house and the connection was perfect obviously.

I was kinda expecting this though, I live in the southest city on the planet, lagfest is my second name. I'm trying to update my internet connection to see if the lag improves a little.

I've managed to get 1000BP now by playing as Cammy. I really love playing as her but need to figure how to use that hooligan roll (I think it's called that) effectively. Not really sure when the best time is to use it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dizzy-4U said:
I tried online yesterday. All players had only 1 bar, so I didn't even bother. Then I play friend who lives a few blocks from my house and the connection was perfect obviously.

I was kinda expecting this though, I live in the southest city on the planet, lagfest is my second name. I'm trying to update my internet connection to see if the lag improves a little.
True fact: He indeed lives on the southest city on the planet.

LiK

_dementia said:
unlucky...
I have decent matches with ZERO bars. I just thought the connection rating was just ultra strict or something.

hmm, i wonder if the bars are accurate at all. they make such a big deal about looking for "optimal" matches whenever i jump into the online menu.

Dizzy-4U said:

i wish there was a way to check for region, rather than language. i still find more smooth matches over the bad ones but losing my win streak over lag is just frustrating.

Barrett2

rSpooky said:

Thats pretty cool. I like that SF4 doesn't have any unnecessary gore, and the female characters aren't dressed ridiculously, definitely makes it more family friendly.

I got my wife to play briefly as Viper the other day, but I don't think she'll be playing any more. She's more of a Ninjatown & Professor Layton gamer.

GrayFoxPL said:
From my experience it's a lot better. I didn't think I'd live to see the day when I forget I'm playing someone online. It's funny, at worst connection it feels like SC4 on best connection! :lol

The only thing worse then HD remix is that I get lot more "unable to connect" messages when trying to find a match, but it doesn't dissconnect mid match, so it's all nice.
That's great to hear.

Also, is there no double blind selecting online or is it optional? best thing about HDremix was that you could not see who the other person chooses until the round starts.

Gagaman

Finally got the 100 online battles and 50 online wins trophies, yay! Sick to hell with fucking Kens, though. At least 8 in 10 players I face pick him. =/

Also just need one last medal: the super combo finish one. I always accidentally use up my combo meter with EX moves, so it never charges up to full for me.

ShinAmano

I rarely get Ryu or Ken due to going random always, but last night I got Ryu vs Ryu...dude was 'chillin with his firends' as he stated and I could hear them in the background. He and they started talking shit before the match...I love it when that happens.

End result he barely touched me and right before I FA'd into super for the win I asked him how it felt to be schooled in front of your friends (note I rarely talk shit at all usually I am very complimentary)...they all were dying in the background. :lol

atomico

Dizzy-4U said:

nice, more argies :D

adding you when I get home tonight

Diablohead said:
That's great to hear.

Also, is there no double blind selecting online or is it optional? best thing about HDremix was that you could not see who the other person chooses until the round starts.
I wish. A patch with blind select and lobbies would be phenomenal.

Dizzy-4U

Fersis said:
True fact: He indeed lives on the southest city on the planet.
I was really amazed when I tried GGPO. I played against people from Canada and Spain almost lag-free. I got a few desyncs after 10 matches or so, but it run perfect most of the time.
atomico said:
nice, more argies :D

adding you when I get home tonight
Sure :D

GrayFoxPL

Diablohead said:
That's great to hear.

Yeah, no double bind. Assholes wait till you pick. I know it sucks, but I say be confident and fuck'em.

ShinAmano said:
End result he barely touched me and right before I FA'd into super for the win I asked him how it felt to be schooled in front of your friends (note I rarely talk shit at all usually I am very complimentary)...they all were dying in the background. :lol

Aw man would have been well funny lisdtening to that :D

Finally played last night against a friend from college who was pretty good at 3S. He's already learned a good bit in SFIV so we had some solid matches. He was beating me at first, but by the end we were about 50-50 with his Ken (in his defense, Ken has been his main for a long time) and my Chun. 4 (I think?) yellow bars and I could have sworn we were in the same room (no lag).

He also told me he got a message from a random saying that he threw too much. His response:

"www.kleenex.com"

LiK

one thing i hate about Ryu/Ken users is how LONG it takes for them to pick it. one dude waited until there was 3 seconds left on the chara select screen before going to it. if i picked my character within 1 sec of it appearing, why do they constantly slowly scroll over various characters before choosing their chara?

are they trying some weirdo mind trick or what? it makes no difference to me who they choose. :lol

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
so I got a Home reward when I beat Dan online... are there multiple rewards involving Dan or is it the same one for winning an online match with Dan?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
sorry if old but :lol
2vabe39ph6-166x300.jpg

SF4 bad habits

Barrett2

LiK said:
one thing i hate about Ryu/Ken users is how LONG it takes for them to pick it. one dude waited until there was 3 seconds left on the chara select screen before going to it. if i picked my character within 1 sec of it appearing, why do they constantly slowly scroll over various characters before choosing their chara?

are they trying some weirdo mind trick or what? it makes no difference to me who they choose. :lol

I was wondering about this too. I wonder if some people are stupid and think once they pick their character you could go back and choose someone else? It drives me crazy when people can't make up their mind on a character.

Zapages

The thing with SF IV so far I've seen is that the shoto's moves are really easy to do on the 360 analog stick or the PS3 d-pad, therefore most people are going to choose them instead of any of the other characters in the game.

Caj814

1000-2000+BP last night.I was in a trance the whole way through and refused to let anything touch my Chun Li.Too bad it's probably worn off and won't come back for awhile and I'll drop back to 1000:lol

I just got the 500 online matches trophy a while ago. Clock is at 50 hours O_O I was gonna save it for later but I was on a roll. Got a streak of 22 ranked wins.

MoxManiac

GrayFoxPL said:
Yeah, no double bind. Assholes wait till you pick. I know it sucks, but I say be confident and fuck'em.

There really aren't that many disadvantage matchups in SF4. I mean, there are some, but it's nothing like HD Remix. I mean, Vega is considered the worst character in the game, but if you look at the matchup table the japanese players came up with, he doesn't have a matchup that's worse then 4-6. (if I remember correctly)

If only one of the two games could have double blind, i'm glad it was hd remix.

_dementia said:
Tonight I think I'll take my Viper into ranked.

If I get molested it's back to Balrog :/

FRESH MEAT EVERYONE! get while it's hot! What's your GT.. I want in on this. J/k, I'm sure you'll do fine as long as you don't fuck up, stick to a strategy, adapt, etc. She really can't take that much abuse though.. Stamina FTL.

GrayFoxPL

lawblob said:
I was wondering about this too. I wonder if some people are stupid and think once they pick their character you could go back and choose someone else? It drives me crazy when people can't make up their mind on a character.

"Should I pick Ken? No, there's too much of him now. He'll think I'm a scrub. I'm no scrub. Yeah, I pick someone else. Yeah, I'm confident. I can beat him with anyone. Who to pick....? Fuck it! SHORYUKEN!"

LiK

_dementia said:
Tonight I think I'll take my Viper into ranked.

If I get molested it's back to Balrog :/

i played a good Balrog(Boxer) player last night. kicked my Gouken ass by a little bit of life left. that sucked.

i also met a good Vega(Claw) player too. i was still learning Gouken so he got a free win.

GrayFoxPL said:
"Should I pick Ken? No, there's too much of him now. He'll think I'm a scrub. I'm no scrub. Yeah, I pick someone else. Yeah, I'm confident. I can beat him with anyone. Who to pick....? Fuck it! SHORYUKEN!"

exactly, i think i might just wait like them and choose Ryu when they choose Ken. fuck them. lol

GrayFoxPL said:
My friend went to the gamestop tourney and said everyone would wait to see who their opponent would pick (Ken or Ryu) and "counterpick" with the other shoto.

And online, my opponents always wait for me to pick my character and just hover around every other character and end up choosing Ken everytime like they know what they're doing.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
unlocking Akuma Question:

does difficulty setting matter? and no continues even vs Seth?
no, yes

You know, I don't know why there is this hate about choosing Ken. I've been playing SF on and off since the original Street Fighter 2 (while Street Fighter was still in the arcade) and I've just simply always played Ken/Ryu.

I have never been in an online match yet where somebody didn't choose Ken or Akuma, whatever. I'm not good enough at the game to start experimenting and want to get rid of my lame icons and tags, I'll play with whoever I have a slight chance of winning with thanks. :lol

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

I just order the TE stick from amazon.co.uk today on the basis that they were out of stock and i might get one sometime next century but guess what, no later than 1 hour later my item has been dispatched :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

LiK

ScrabbleBanshee said:
You know, I don't know why there is this hate about choosing Ken. I've been playing SF on and off since the original Street Fighter 2 (while Street Fighter was still in the arcade) and I've just simply always played Ken/Ryu.

I have never been in an online match yet where somebody didn't choose Ken or Akuma, whatever. I'm not good enough at the game to start experimenting and want to get rid of my lame icons and tags, I'll play with whoever I have a slight chance of winning with thanks. :lol

i don't really care if they choose Ken but they take so damn long to choose him. i just wish they jumped to him instantly so i can get the match started right away. every Ken user likes to scroll around the select screen trying to make it seem like they're thinking who they should choose to play. :lol

Cynar

CalamityDaunt said:

I just order the TE stick from amazon.co.uk today on the basis that they were out of stock and i might get one sometime next century but guess what, no later than 1 hour later my item has been dispatched :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

lucky! congrats :D

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
CalamityDaunt said:

Welcome to rapture, son.

Barrett2

GrayFoxPL said:

3311769010_957e0a8b5d_o.png

ScrabbleBanshee said:

I don't care if it is Ken or Fuerte that everyone is picking, I'd like to play against most if not all of the cast regularly rather than just against Ken all the time.

Top Bottom