• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Well, it's official. Fighting Stick crisis is international. Just got back from Akihabara and there was NOTHING. Not even a used DOA stick. All the sales-barkers had a script ready too.

"Sorry sold out of fighting stick"

Any J-gafers got any ideas?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Sectus said:
But... AI! Haaaaaaaate!

And I like the lobbies, they have pretty music. And I don't mind waiting a little bit since I can do stuff on the computer I have right next to my 360. But well, I do mind waiting 40+ minutes.

I dunno if there's something wrong with the matchmaking servers. I was hosting ranked games some days ago without problems.
I don't take too kindly to AI myself, but I can like to think of it as a punching bag to test out my combos on a moving target before a fight. I don't know how things are over on the 360 side, but I hardly get to finish them off before someone interrupts. Maybe it's a 360 issue with the matchmaking, and then it probably would affect the arcade online mode too. :\

Jason

Sectus said:
But... AI! Haaaaaaaate!

And I like the lobbies, they have pretty music. And I don't mind waiting a little bit since I can do stuff on the computer I have right next to my 360. But well, I do mind waiting 40+ minutes.

I just flip on the HK turbo switch and wait for people. :lol

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
arrrrg. My brain is mush. Trying to do Balrog's headbutt into ultra combo is breaking me down. Straight, hook, straight, hook, hook, finsiher! I always mess up the second hook :( And then if the fool's in the corner I have to whiff another straight... arrrrrrgh.

Zabka said:
Fought an Akuma player who quit immediately after being headbutted out of a Raging Demon. For a second I thought he must have kicked his Xbox. Sent a message calling him a wuss for quitting (didn't want to get vulgar) and got this back.
724uw8.jpg

Play to quit!
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=5446189&postcount=1

Shadow780

FUCCCCK, so I just know that to link special moves from 2nd or more LP/LK I have to pause very slightly in between the first LP/LK and the second one...(I.E. Sakura Trial Hard 1) D:

No wonder I couldn't cancel anything after her c.LKx2:lol

y2dvd

Arpharmd B said:
Went undefeated at my local gamestop tournament. Put on a clinic with Rufus.

Won a 20$ gift card.

You know you're supposed to get the MadCatz Fight Pad right? It's worth more so you should check on that.

Who's the best Viper here?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
y2dvd said:
You know you're supposed to get the MadCatz Fight Pad right? It's worth more so you should check on that.

Who's the best Viper here?

haunts

Vargas said:
Does anyone have tips that I can use against Cammy? My main is Zangief. The girl is just way too fast for me.

just keep blocking low. her hooligan is useless against crouchers and you can punish any blocked spiral arrows. lariat should beat any jump ins but don't do any random lariats once she has her ultra.

I am in terrible shape for this tournament. Lost to Sagat/Ryu flow charts (although some of them were pretty good). Even ruined my 20-0 against Sakura's :(. I'm starting to even out -- all the close matches I was winning before I'm now losing. Lost another 200 BP today. I think I'm done with ranked -- so tired of +1 wins, -130 losses. Just like someone said, if I wanna grind, I'll go to a club or play an MMORPG. Today was the first day I came close to ragequitting, but I reminded myself I'm not like them. I'm human ;). BTW, a guy with about 3800 BP ragequit on me too right as I was about to win. Avoid this balrog bastard GhOstRyDerV on PSN. Too much of a bitch to lose.

The general consensus is that there are better players in player matches, correct? Need a little more flavor than what I'm getting, and hopefully that gets me back on track.

Gonna hop on Killzone soon.

TimeKillr

Ermac said:
Like wise timekillr. Are you using a stick?

Anyone looking for a solid challenge should take on timekillr's Abel. He's not kidding when he says he doesn't lose much.

Though I did beat his Rufus with Goku Dan once.
237295_1_hs.jpg

Yeah, I use a stick. A nice sanwa modded HRAP3 with an octogonal gate.

The thing with Abel is that I go against the grain with him. Every strategy I've read (including Haunts') say you have to be patient, wait it out, look for opportunities, etc.

With Abel, I rush the fuck down. The second I get a c.mp in, it's into CoDx3, then dash, ambiguous cross-up (or not) and another CoDx3. I'm sure it's boring to a lot of people when they play against my Abel since they'll see a lot of the same stuff over and over again, but it's just a different playstyle. There's also the great thing where a lot of people get intimidated when I dash towards them. The psychological factor is really important. I don't go much for high-low mind games and such since I don't feel Abel needs them.

I also RARELY do his wheel kick. I'm starting to use it a bit more, but it's not something that feels natural with my style. In most cases, I'd rather roll towards since I'll use the wheel kick as a way to get myself next to my opponent quickly.

And yes, you did beat my Rufus with Dan. :) I wish I could like Rufus, but... he's a bit weird and doesn't really work with how I play.

Arde5643

TimeKillr said:
And yes, you did beat my Rufus with Dan. :) I wish I could like Rufus, but... he's a bit weird and doesn't really work with how I play.
Weird, because Rufus is pretty much the prototypical rush down character. I guess you just like to play a rushdown grappler? :D

TimeKillr

Killa Sasa said:
The general consensus is that there are better players in player matches, correct? Need a little more flavor than what I'm getting, and hopefully that gets me back on track.

I don't think it has to do with having better players in Player Matches, it's just that the people who do play there are usually a LOT more laid back and don't madly play to win BP. I've never, EVER had a single rage disconnect in Player Matches. Nobody cares since there's no records.

I just played a guy I didn't know earlier tonight - won 18 matches in a row, with the full character roster. He wasn't bad, but it was obvious he was playing to learn - at some point he went from selecting different characters to picking only Guile, which I felt was fine with me but I didn't want to just destroy him with my Abel. I beat him twice with Abel then just realized the guy was just there to train (set to 3 rounds instead of 2 as well) so I kept switching. I figure it gives him experience with a bunch of different characters. In any case, I had a lot of fun (and I assume he did as well since he never quit).

Whenever I meet players like this, I ALWAYS leave a message on PSN after the matches. In fact, I've never gotten bitched at on PSN when doing Player Matches. There's no reason to grief, no reason to do stupid shit like you see on Ranked Matches (Akuma with 1 round/30 secs), etc.

So yeah, try Player Matches. You might run into a few more scrubs, but I rarely see flowchart Ken and not THAT many Kens in general.

TimeKillr

Arde5643 said:
Weird, because Rufus is pretty much the prototypical rush down character. I guess you just like to play a rushdown grappler? :D

Pretty much! :)

I guess I should play Rufus more. He's interesting to me (and I just figured out something weird tonight with him... Apparently you can juggle after a jumping hk.)

My problem with Rufus is that he isn't "natural" with me. His moves and normals don't flow together like I'm accustomed to, so it's kinda weird. I'm very pokey as well, and aside from his c.hp he doesn't seem to have very good pokes.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
TimeKillr said:
I don't think it has to do with having better players in Player Matches, it's just that the people who do play there are usually a LOT more laid back and don't madly play to win BP. I've never, EVER had a single rage disconnect in Player Matches. Nobody cares since there's no records.

I just played a guy I didn't know earlier tonight - won 18 matches in a row, with the full character roster. He wasn't bad, but it was obvious he was playing to learn - at some point he went from selecting different characters to picking only Guile, which I felt was fine with me but I didn't want to just destroy him with my Abel. I beat him twice with Abel then just realized the guy was just there to train (set to 3 rounds instead of 2 as well) so I kept switching. I figure it gives him experience with a bunch of different characters. In any case, I had a lot of fun (and I assume he did as well since he never quit).

Whenever I meet players like this, I ALWAYS leave a message on PSN after the matches. In fact, I've never gotten bitched at on PSN when doing Player Matches. There's no reason to grief, no reason to do stupid shit like you see on Ranked Matches (Akuma with 1 round/30 secs), etc.

So yeah, try Player Matches. You might run into a few more scrubs, but I rarely see flowchart Ken and not THAT many Kens in general.
Seriously, I've done maybe 3 ranked matches in 30 hours of play. Player matches are just more fun for me.

The fact that you spend more time actually playing rather than searching for a match helps a lot.

Dartastic

_dementia said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

In other news, I had my first tournament today. I played at Ground Kontrol, in Portland, OR. I lost. Won my first match, lost my second, lost my losers bracket match. Bah! I also lost the HDR tournament, which I thought I'd do better in. I was playing on sticks, which I never use. I do however, want to buy a stick ASAP. Played on both the tournament level stick, and the normal stick. I think I might be fine with the normal Mad Katz stick, once they work the kinks out. <3 the tournament stick tho.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
MY THUMBS

ggs punishing

that was a good session, i feel like i learned a lot.

like how i shouldnt use qcf qcf l1 to do my ex hammer lest i waste all my juice ; _;

*blows on thumbs*

you have the psn viper crown for now u__u

also i need to learn how to do the hammer -> super jump -> fire kick combo. IT LOOKS SO BADASS

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Dartastic said:
. <3 the tournament stick tho.

The TE stick is awesome, we have 2 of them at the studio and every time somebody walks around and sees them they go all "HOLY FUCKING SHIT" like, its awesome.

I can not for the life of me PULL OFF A MOTHER FUCKING ULTRA with Ryu when I want to. I keep doing the EX Shoryuken. This happens about 90% of the time I try it. Most of the time, I just want to do it. Sometimes it actually cost me a victory. In my last match I faced a Rose who had like a inch of life left. We both jumped and I one that battle by knocking her back, then I went for the Ultra which should have finished her whether she blocked or not. But instead I EX Shoryuken and when I land I get hit with a Ultra. FUCKING FUCKITY FUCK why can't I do this right more then not?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Rice-Eater said:
I can not for the life of me PULL OFF A MOTHER FUCKING ULTRA with Ryu when I want to. I keep doing the EX Shoryuken. This happens about 90% of the time I try it. Most of the time, I just want to do it. Sometimes it actually cost me a victory. In my last match I faced a Rose who had like a inch of life left. We both jumped and I one that battle by knocking her back, then I went for the Ultra which should have finished her whether she blocked or not. But instead I EX Shoryuken and when I land I get hit with a Ultra. FUCKING FUCKITY FUCK why can't I do this right more then not?
I had the same problem. Found out it happened because I hit the punch button while the stick was still on a diagonal.

Foxix Von

Hell yeah! Just picked up a 360 collectors edition! Now that I'm a proud owner of SFIV I need to invest in a stick! I've got enough coming back on my tax return to snag a TE.... but I found a store that has the SE in stock. I'm no hardcore player or anything I just want to be able to execute moves reliably.

This should probably go in the madcatz thread but... I dunno I've just heard of the SE having issues... Is it better to just wait it out and get a tourney edition?

VQ

KdoubleA

-COOLIO- said:
MY THUMBS

ggs punishing

that was a good session, i feel like i learned a lot.

like how i shouldnt use qcf qcf l1 to do my ex hammer lest i waste all my juice ; _;

*blows on thumbs*

you have the psn viper crown for now u__u

also i need to learn how to do the hammer -> super jump -> fire kick combo. IT LOOKS SO BADASS

Great games bro....I still got a lot to learn too...I mostly play on Xbox Live but lemme know if you ever wanna play again if you see me online (here or PSN).

Btw, your Sagat is brutal man...Who's your main? Sagat or Viper?

Are any of you vets using the new input shortcuts for DP motions? I'm having difficulty adjusting to a an arcade stick and wondering if I should just take advantage of the double-tap.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
KdoubleA said:
Great games bro....I still got a lot to learn too...I mostly play on Xbox Live but lemme know if you ever wanna play again if you see me online (here or PSN).

Btw, your Sagat is brutal man...Who's your main? Sagat or Viper?
viper, i just started playing sagat to get some wins in ranking : \

im learning them both though

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Valkyr Junkie said:
Are any of you vets using the new input shortcuts for DP motions? I'm having difficulty adjusting to a an arcade stick and wondering if I should just take advantage of the double-tap.
It's great for comboing crouching fierce but not so good for super/ultra cancels. It's also a little bit easier to do from neutral than the default motion.

Sectus

leaderboards.jpg

Hmm... look at MicVlaD's BP and CminusWARRIOR's rank. Conspiracy methinks. Also I'm bit puzzled why I have more BP than most people in my friendlist. I've played against most of them and I lose 90% of the time!

Raging Spaniard

Sectus said:
Hmm... look at MicVlaD's BP and CminusWARRIOR's rank. Conspiracy methinks. Also I'm bit puzzled why I have more BP than most people in my friendlist. I've played against most of them and I lose 90% of the time!

Er, Ranked Mode isnt the only way to play online, you know :p

KdoubleA

-COOLIO- said:
viper, i just started playing sagat to get some wins in ranking : \

im learning them both though

Cool. I have trouble with great Sagat players. I noticed that sometimes you stopped throwing your fireballs...Dude, spam that shit...I need the practice :lol

The thing with Viper vs Sagat, I can punish you with a seismic hammer if you keep throwing fireballs, the thing is it's easy to trade hits (you can HJC it but you were pretty good with your wakeup attacks, so I sometimes would get hit after)...And hits from Sagat against Viper are really damaging; so I can't afford to mess up...I think I'll just keep practicing this match up to get better.

fernoca

Sectus said:

Hmm... look at MicVlaD's BP and CminusWARRIOR's rank. Conspiracy methinks. Also I'm bit puzzled why I have more BP than most people in my friendlist. I've played against most of them and I lose 90% of the time![/QUOTE]
Fighting against people in your friendlist doesn't earn you (or them) BPs. So it means that you've played more Ranked Matches (or won more), or that they've played less Ranked Matches (or lost more)...

Cmagus

I may be doing something wrong but I have fought Akuma 3 times now and I still haven't unlocked him and I supposed to be doing something special against him to get him?

Sectus

fernoca said:
Fighting against people in your friendlist doesn't earn you (or them) BPs. So it means that you've played more Ranked Matches (or won more), or that they've played less Ranked Matches (or lost more)...
I know BP is ranked matches only, I still find it a bit odd.

bounchfx

Cmagus said:
I may be doing something wrong but I have fought Akuma 3 times now and I still haven't unlocked him and I supposed to be doing something special against him to get him?

try beating him?

MoxManiac

Cmagus said:
lol well of course I beat him im not borderline retarded I have got to him 3 times and beaten him 3 times once perfect and it wont unlock him

Have you unlocked all the other secret characters aside from akuma and gouken?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Something I've been wanting to ask. Whats wrong with the EX2 sticks. And why do some sticks have 8 buttons instead of 6? Can I use the 6 button layout ones just as good as the 8 button ones for this game?

Raging Spaniard

shintoki said:
Something I've been wanting to ask. Whats wrong with the EX2 sticks. And why do some sticks have 8 buttons instead of 6? Can I use the 6 button layout ones just as good as the 8 button ones for this game?

Street Fighter uses 6 buttons so ....

Top Bottom