• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Street Fighter IV Thread of FADCing a Stranger in the Alps

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man is Blanka ever hard to beat as Balrog, I could seriously use some tips on that matchup as I'm clueless.

Sanjay

Xevren said:
I play properly? What the hell does that even mean? :lol

kenflow.png

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Sinatar said:
Man is Blanka ever hard to beat as Balrog, I could seriously use some tips on that matchup as I'm clueless.
I would like to echo this statement. I was raped in pieces by Slayn earlier with Blanka. The fucking lighting is so annoying because I have to position myself to knock it, a fireball would be so much easier :(

And my BnB combo (overhead Ex - Ch.MP - headbutt) whiffs the last part, so I tried to link a sweep at the end, but it doesn't link properly... :\

hwateber

Sinatar said:
c.roundhouse beats out electricty if you hit with the tip of the glove. Use jab dash punch to punish blocked blanka balls. If your timing is good, dont be afraid to jump in, j.roundhouse beats out electricity of timed correctly!

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Im pleased to report I no longer fail miserably on the TE stick...I may even play better on it than on a pad now. :O Anyway, I have to agree this game has an epidemic of cheap spammers online and it is damn frustrating to lose to them, but whatever. Im sure as I get better it wont be an issue.

Saerk

I really like this game, but I wish the timing window for some of the combos was just a tad larger. For some of the trials the link time seems ridiculously small. I'm looking at you Zangief hard trials. I also wish the focus attack dash cancel was just a focus cancel. The dash just seems to make it too complex. It should just be mk+mp to cancel, and the normal focus attack should come out when not presently attacking. The way it is really limits the number of people who can actually pull this off consistently, and sets a huge gap between good and great players.

wi@tt

Well it happened, finally got ragemail. Guy was on head set talking smack playing Blanka, and barely won a one round match against my Sakura. Begs for a rematch, so I gave it to him. Single round his Blanka my Cammy... lets just say it was a perfect example of long range rage baiting. :D Afterward I get another message, daring me to fight him again calling my a puss if I don't.

I'll post his PSN later if anyone feels like just having a little head-game fun :lol

Me and andymcc were playing ranked matches with Dan, and when we beat up some scrubby Kens and Ryus, we would leave them messages where we sang the main SF4 theme, but replaced every word with "Dan." I love harassing people for losing to Dan.

Sectus said:
I've never played against Honda before so I didn't know the properties for that move.

*cough*cough*

I think I only used Honda once against you. In either case, if you want experience with some of the characters send me a player invite and we'll do some matches. I am even pretty good with Dhalsim if you recall from our matches.

I basically play with everyone except for the shotos or any heavy QCF motion based characters. With a controller I'm unstoppable with them, but with the arcade stick I can't play them well and stick with the charge characters.

And if anyone else is down for some matches:

CminusWARRIOR

Saerk said:
I also wish the focus attack dash cancel was just a focus cancel. The dash just seems to make it too complex. It should just be mk+mp to cancel, and the normal focus attack should come out when not presently attacking. The way it is really limits the number of people who can actually pull this off consistently, and sets a huge gap between good and great players.

Dude, I agree with you 700 fuckin-precent. You took the words right out of my head when I first started fuckin around with FADC's.

I understand 'hardcore-ism' don't get me wrong, but this is just stupid. The fuck do I have to "dash" out of it for -- of course I want to dash out of it that's why I'm fuckin canceling out of it you dimwitted Capcom fucktards.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
C- Warrior said:
Dude, I agree with you 700 fuckin-precent. You took the words right out of my head when I first started fuckin around with FADC's.

I understand 'hardcore-ism' don't get me wrong, but this is just stupid. The fuck do I have to "dash" out of it for -- of course I want to dash out of it that's why I'm fuckin canceling out of it you dimwitted Capcom fucktards.
haha. Are you using a stick or a pad? I couldnt do that shit at all on a pad, now I can pull em off no prob w/ the stick.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
C- Warrior said:

Heres a trick

Have forward pressed when youre charging your FA, then once it hits/comes out just tap forward again and your guy will dash right away. Practice it for a bit and itll become natural pretty quick (at least it did for me)

The reason why you cant cancel out of it the way youd like it to is because theres a bunch of reasons of why you would would want to dash out of it BACKWARDS, not just forwards.

I understand being frustrated, but its not the games fault you havent uncovered all the intricacies of the feature yet :p

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Sectus said:
*bangs head against wall* I hate hate losing fights like that. I fought a Honda guy (I was playing as Cammy) and what he did 95% of the time was a torpedo move. To my defense, I've never played against Honda before so I didn't know the properties for that move. So the fight basically went like this...

Spiral arrow! Both players hit eachother at the same time. Okie fair enough, it was kinda amusing to see that so I might as well do it again... spiral arrow! We both hit eachother again, and ouch, I noticed his move does about twice as much damage. Definitely time to change tactic.

I decide to jump, which was a mistake because he has enough range to actually hit me with the same move (each time I'm hit he walks back to maximum range). I decide to simply block the move and punish it. Didn't work so well because he bounces back quite a distance each time the move is blocked. Since the move goes straight forward I decide I'll just jump over it next time he does it. (at this time we're in the second round as my experimentation to avoid that stupid move has already cost me one KO)

... I wait for him to do the move. Takes a few seconds, and then I try to jump. Input lag! Apparently I didn't bother to check the ping before starting the match (which I rarely bother to do actually, since it takes 5-10 seconds for the ping to appear in the lobby). I try to react faster, but no, there's no way I could jump over the move with the input lag.

Basically, the only thing I could find which worked to a degree was blocking the move, immediately doing a spiral arrow to get close (even though he can easily block it), and then try to maintain my close distance. I think I was able to do that 2-3 times the entire match, but I wasn't able to win. I did manage to do a fair amount of damage when close, but I was already damaged far too much by that one stupid simple move.

This is one thing I kinda dislike about the entire fighting genre. I'm sure if I had more time to fight against him I would have found an effective counter, but either way it's no fun playing against someone who spams one attack, even if I'm the one winning. And to ensure it never happens again I'd have to memorize the properties of every special move in the game, which is a bit of a stretch. At least it isn't as bad as Soul Calibur 4 where the amount of moves is 10 times as much and there's always a substantial degree of input lag when playing online.

It's a lot easier to beat the headbutt in SF4 then in any other SF. That's why all the STHD Scrub Hondas ran back to Ken and their flowchart.

With Cammy, I know EX Hooligan will beat Headbutt every time, but not EX headbutt.

Askia47

I need to more practice with Bison, Chun and Blanka. i like Bisons style alot, as well as Chuns. Blanka just looks crazy :lol

Sectus

C- Warrior said:
*cough*cough*
Eep! I forgot about that. I even had notepad window up with all the recordings I've done which included the Honda fight with you, shows how quickly I forget. You want me to upload those recordings by the way? My youtube SF4 video collection is becoming scaringly big.

I played some matches aganist a friend today at home. I forgot how good it feels to play somebody right next to you instead of online. He has a nasty guile and I play ryu. Any tips on how to fight him? I really have no idea. Flash kick when i jump in/sonic boom and move in close has me confused. I was able to pull off a shoryuken FADC into an ultra though to win one of the matches. Felt great! :D

No_Style

I have to wade through a fair amount of cruddy connections before finding someone with at least half the number of bars. Really makes Ranked Matches annoying.

This is on PSN.

Thankfully, Player Matches are available.

BlueSummers said:
I played some matches aganist a friend today at home. I forgot how good it feels to play somebody right next to you instead of online. He has a nasty guile and I play ryu. Any tips on how to fight him? I really have no idea. Flash kick when i jump in/sonic boom and move in close has me confused. I was able to pull off a shoryuken FADC into an ultra though to win one of the matches. Felt great! :D
Just remember that Guile doesn't have a whole lot of options at long range. Keep blocking his Sonic Booms and make him come to you. Jumping in on him will only get you a flash kick to the face.

MoxManiac

C- Warrior said:

Yeah, i hate the finger gymnastics required. I can do it consistently in training mode, but have had trouble doing it in the heat of battle sometimes (well, the FADCs where you follow up with an ultra, anyways). And hell, i'm on a stick. It sounds like it would be a nightmare on the pad.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
C- Warrior said:

The game can not assume that you want to dash forward or backward. Therefore, you have to input the command. How would you like to see it handled?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
iam.rass said:
hey guys, dont FADC me (whatever that means haha) if old but ive not been in this thread as i suck at fighters... however:

http://dontpaniconline.com/designbrief/client/streetfighter4#

dont panic is running a comp,
re-interpret any of the characters as you see fit - any medium, any style
accepting entries till the 23rd and i figured some of you are good at art :)

Good to know the deadline. I found the contest a while ago and I couldnt find it!

Ill be doing something for this, the price is pretty neat, plus I need something to do (just putting the finishing touches on my entry for the Udon Darkstalkers contest)

Thanks for the reminder!

Saerk

Kintaro said:
The game can not assume that you want to dash forward or backward. Therefore, you have to input the command.

Then make it so neutral + mp +mk = cancel no dash, forward +mp +mk dash forward, and back + mp+ mk dash backwards. You can make it so this happens only after specials, and after a normal it would be a focus attack.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I agree with the FADC thing. It would be nice if it just canceled into a neutral state and left you standing where you are. You could then of course have the option to dash forward/backward at your disgression rather than being forced to dash.

I don't think its that big a deal, but I think control wise it would be more intuitive if the steps were distinct rather than the fadc having to be a combined thing.

The only iffy thing is if that would somehow fuck up the balance by being too powerful. By moving the dash into an optional step, you also indirectly speed up the cancel itself considerablly

Kintaro

Saerk said:
Then make it so neutral + mp +mk = cancel no dash, forward +mp +mk dash forward, and back + mp+ mk dash backwards. You can make it so this happens only after specials, and after a normal it would be a focus attack.

That could work, but you honestly can't double tap forward or back? It's like second nature now if you utilize dash. Making a "dash" one type of command in one situation and another type in another is just as "complicated".

I mean "dash" is inherently "double tap". Is it really that difficult?

Ronabo said:
http://s5.tinypic.com/5js5jq.jpg

He was Ryu, I was 'Gief. I guess he got made cause I actually blocked and countered his constant Shoryukens.
Playing as Gief = cheating. Duuuuuuuuuuuh.

*bangs head against wall* I hate hate losing fights like that. I fought a Honda guy (I was playing as Cammy) and what he did 95% of the time was a torpedo move.
Cammy's air drill will keep you in the air long enough to jump over it, and is able to knock him out of headbut cleanly, but I forget where you need to hit him. I think you can even hit him out of it with her dragonpunch.

Either way, Honda isn't not nearly as annoying as Bison.

Phthisis

BlueSummers said:

If Guile sweeps, you can jump after blocking the first kick and cross up. You have to do it immediately after blocking otherwise you'll get a flash kick to the face.

slayn

Kintaro said:
That could work, but you honestly can't double tap forward or back? It's like second nature now if you utilize dash. Making a "dash" one type of command in one situation and another type in another is just as "complicated".

I mean "dash" is inherently "double tap". Is it really that difficult?
the part I dislike is how you have to still be holding the FA buttons while you dash. I want to tap the FA command, let go, and then dash. That is my biggest problem with it.

Sectus said:
Eep! I forgot about that. I even had notepad window up with all the recordings I've done which included the Honda fight with you, shows how quickly I forget. You want me to upload those recordings by the way? My youtube SF4 video collection is becoming scaringly big.

Yeah, that'd be awesome. It'd be great if you could post all the matches (the one with Vega) I get my ass handed to me with Vega online -- yet I do well against fellow GAFFers who are probably better than most of the online players.

I don't get it. So it'd be great.

PS: As for a strategy against Honda -- like all charge characters, cross them up. Sakura's cross up I believe is light kick. The reason why you cross them up is because it resets their charge in the opposite direction.

Kintaro

slayn said:
the part I dislike is how you have to still be holding the FA buttons while you dash. I want to tap the FA command, let go, and then dash. That is my biggest problem with it.

Sounds like it would actually come out slower the way you described it.

While playing around with FADC in training mode, you can seemingly buffer the dash. SRK and while, say Ryu, is doing the move you can start the dash, tap FA and you've just FADC'd.

Kintaro said:
The game can not assume that you want to dash forward or backward. Therefore, you have to input the command. How would you like to see it handled?

I'm not talking about canceling from a Focus Attack (where you eliminate the down time by dashing). I'm talking about:

Ryu:

Dragon Punch ---> Focus Attack ---> Dash Out of it ---> Input command for Super

I'm talking about the unnecessary "dash out of it" part -- I think it's quite obvious you want to cancel into another move, not cancel into a regular old focus attack.

Xevren

My main problem is since im stuck with a pad at the moment, is that when I FADC with ken/ryu and want to go into the ultra/super after a cancelled DP, is that I get an ex dragon punch. When I play on a stick I always get it, im certain that I have issues with going back to neutral on a pad but on a stick I dont have any issues. I guess in a week when allegedly my TE stick will ship this wont be an issue anymore.

BlueSummers said:

Inch your way foward. Focus cancel through the sonic booms. When you get close, do cross-ups on his wake-up, his flash kick doesn't do a good job covering his back-side.

Also, since your Ryu -- if he's going to sonic boom spam you, fireball spam back. the best way to beat a guile is to get him frustrated and too aggressive. The best Guile players are turtles who strike when they opponent makes a mistake.

MIMIC

Banned
C- Warrior said:
I'm talking about the unnecessary "dash out of it" part -- I think it's quite obvious you want to cancel into another move, not cancel into a regular old focus attack.

Well, not necessarily. If my opponent blocks my flash kick, I could cancel out of it and start the FA and get them while they're still blocking.

I don't ever plan to use the FADC anytime soon (at least with my main) but canceling into the FA would throw my opponent for a loop.

Kintaro

C- Warrior said:
I'm not talking about canceling from a Focus Attack (where you eliminate the down time by dashing). I'm talking about:

Ryu:

Dragon Punch ---> Focus Attack ---> Dash Out of it ---> Input command for Super

Again, do you want the computer to assume for you? What if you did want to cancel into a quick FA after a block?

It may be complicated or whatever, but I'll take more control over CPU assumption.

Edit; Weee! 20k posts!

Kintaro said:
Again, do you want the computer to assume for you? What if you did want to cancel into a quick FA after a block?

It may be complicated or whatever, but I'll take more control over CPU assumption.

Edit; Weee! 20k posts!

Fair enough. Although there are thousands of things better to do than just let the focus attack hit. It's probably better to FADC and do some cross-up combos.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT. I got the 20,000th post. whoo-hoo!

slayn

Kintaro said:
Sounds like it would actually come out slower the way you described it.

While playing around with FADC in training mode, you can seemingly buffer the dash. SRK and while, say Ryu, is doing the move you can start the dash, tap FA and you've just FADC'd.
If that's true (I have no idea since I so rarely use fadc, if ever) I would see thats eveb *more* unintuitive control wise because you are basically performing the move backwards.

I actually like the idea sugested above of forward+fa would cancel and dash forward, etc. Nuetral+fa could cancel into the actual fa attack. And back+fa cancels and dashes backwards. Such a minor change that doesn't seem like it would accomplish much on paper but I would bet if that change were made you would see a whooole lot of people who could suddenly wrap their head around the concept that had already given up on the current incarnation and I lot more people would reach a higher level of play.

That's just my gut feeling, obviously the fadc isn't going to be changing so we'll never know.

I think its ok as is, but it could be made more intuitive to execute without changing the properties of it.

I have been lurking in this thread of awhile, but I am loving this game so far. I got my 100 wins online the other night. Granted ive played 208 matches and have like 117 wins, so my win % is only like 52. I don't think that's bad for someone who just started playing SF with HD remix.

Kintaro

slayn said:
If that's true (I have no idea since I so rarely use fadc, if ever) I would see thats eveb *more* unintuitive control wise because you are basically performing the move backwards.

Wha? It's no different than buffering any other move.

Eh, I dunno. Whatever works.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Saerk said:

That wouldn't be a good idea, and I'll tell you why. Doing b+mk+mp or d/b+mk+mp allows charge characters to charge while doing an FA. So under your proposed system with, say, Honda, if I do hand slaps and then f/b+mk+mp and do a dash back or forth, I can't go into headbutt or super or ultra instantly because I just lost my charge by dashing.

However under the current system, i can do hand slaps, d/f or b+mk+mp to cancel into FA, allow FA to charge to lvl 1 or 2 and hopefully get a counter hit crumple, and INSTANTLY go into headbutt/splash/super/ultra. But, if I want to, I can do b+mk+mp, b, or f+mk+mp to dash back and forward to get myself out of trouble or keep on the pressure.

The way the system works is fine as it is, because it gives you the most options at all times, whereas your suggested system limits a lot of character's options with FA. What you are proposing completely screws over charge characters, as well as making things even MORE difficult to understand for other players (dashing is one direction tap vs two while in FA), and possibly opening up more exploits (aka kara dash cancels).

I've been playing the PS3 version and unlocking the characters (again...ugh).

I do notice the lack of aliasing/jaggies.

Also, I don't like the backgrounds or music. The backgrounds have no personality...and the music is weak remixes of timeless themes (unless you like motion picture and electronica music). I wish they would've invented new themes for the characters (like SF vs. Marvel Superheros...TS, EX or normal three).

I'm beginning to understand the focus system... I guess the only limitation...unless I'm doing something wrong is the inability to dash cancel backward...which would kick butt for absorbing fireballs. Like some in the thread, I'm still not comfortable with FADC>>>Ultra. I try with Ken...but it's such a pain in the butt...fierce shoryuken...two hits>>>FADC>>>spazz and do Ultra. It's probably the three buttons that's the most difficult.

This game requires a lot of dexterity and muscle memory.

Has anyone watched the Anime yet? I have the CE...but haven't watched the Bluray yet.

And what's going on with Gootecks? The site seems to be down.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
wi@tt said:
just hit it really fast

I tried for like 10 minutes straight (I'm on a stock 360 controller). I searched on google and a lot of people had to remap high kick to RB to perform the fake successfully :lol

Top Bottom